Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I had the pleasure of working on a development mode samsung TV with root access. Tizen is just weird / bad Linux and the TV was remarkably easy to render unbootable even without root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Do any of you use bandcamp? I basically stopped using spotify, amazon, apple music, etc and just discover / buy / download / stream all my music there.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Gawr Gooner posted:

I have a small pain point about Bandcamp, even before Epic bought them, and is kind-of in line with the thread topic.

If you don't download albums you're enabling the service to remove content that you've paid for. While I'm sure this might have been copyright related, an EP I purchased has four fewer tracks (remixes) than it did when I got it. I also know a few artists that erased almost all of their material from the site after getting a bit bigger, though I'm not sure if that removes them from your library.

Great site though.

Yes this happened to me too. It's very annoying. I wish they would alert users first so they could download the "offending" tracks before they get taken down. I got lucky since i'm a packrat and download everything.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I feel like the average dog owner has gotten worse since the pandemic.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Extra row of tits posted:

Which makes you choose the hair cut you want ( if you don’t know or it’s not one of the specific options your screwed)...

I hope the UI is a lovely version of a create a character menu in something like saints row

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

i've been replacing those menu QR codes with ones that link to goatse :homebrew:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

The screensaver on my roku has ads for mcdonalds and acura sneakily embedded into it.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

mawarannahr posted:

they used to have an excellent cat screen saver with updating photos. they got rid of it?

For me its always been a scrolling cityscape. Now its a scrolling cityscape with mcdonalds and acura dealerships

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

teen witch posted:

Why the gently caress does it need to take goddamn ten seconds to press a button and get a response. What. Why. No one wants this.

I recently worked on a project where I got to use a Samsung development TV. We got to peer behind the veil and look at the OS with root privileges and let me tell you they're massive pieces of crap. Basically a bunch of annoying poo poo bolted onto linux

Managed to render the TV unbootable by just messing with the user-controlled application data.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Triikan posted:

I don't know what the fuss is about smart tvs. I just don't connect it to the internet. I have a Tyzen TV currently, but it's never felt the cool embrace of an IP address on my local network, and I've never had to interact with it beyond setting the colors the way I like them when I first installed it. I don't even have batteries in it's remote. It turns on automatically when my Shield turns on.

I think some people have reported some newer TVs complaining constantly if they're not connected to the internet.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Brother Tadger posted:

Dog training is about training you, as the owner, to be consistent; you have to do the correct steps every time, not just some times. Also, if your dog isn’t tired, it’s going to find ways to annoy you.

Same as that previous poster; when people ask me why my dog is so well behaved, I just say that I take them for several 30 minute walks a day (at least once in the morning and once in the early evening) and that I try to focus more on what I want the dog to be doing in a given scenario and less on what I don’t want it to be doing (I.e., redirection). These people then just look at me like I’ve got a screw loose and then give me “reasons” why they can’t be expected to do anything other than just put their dog in their tiny backyard alone for several hours while they work/play on the computer.

These people should get a loving cat. They're relatively low maintenance with regards to training compared to a dog.

I don't get why any lazy person would get a pet that notoriously requires time and effort to train.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

anonumos posted:

It makes me sad when emotionless people get an animal that needs affection, play, and careful feeding. They just leave a bucket of slop laying around, shoo the poor thing away when it wants to cuddle, toss it out the door when it soils the carpet, and swear at it when it whines. There are too many emotionally neglected pets, living miserable lives in smoke filled hell holes or chained outside in all weather. Poor things are companion animals. They deserve more.

I was more referring to people who live in a studio apartment that get a husky and let it howl for hours, but the scenario you're talking about is much sadder and those people shouldn't have pets at all.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

kdrudy posted:

Was coming to post this, charging developers per install of their game. Reinstalls count. I wonder how long they stick with it before reversing course because literally everyone is all over them for it.

That is so insanely stupid. How could they not see install bombing as a malicious thing angry gamers will do if a unity-based game asks them for their pronouns or something?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

StormDrain posted:

I jumped on this train and it was a little worse than the Samsung it replaced but overall fine. I ended up buying a USB-C to 3.5mm jack and USB-C for charging in the off chance I need to charge and use the jack and also so I could use my noise cancelling earmuff hookup while mowing the lawn.

Are any of these USB-C to 3.5 mm adapters not big pieces of poo poo? I've been through like 20 of them and they all either wear way too quickly or have tons of weird interference problems.

A few have even randomly disconnected while using them, causing whatever embarrassing music I'm listening to to be broadcasted through my phone's speaker.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

MrQwerty posted:

The USB-C connector is real delicate

That one's broken but you can see how easy it is to stress it out

These really should have tabs on either side that solder into the ground plane to give them structural integrity. I guess that would add a fraction of a cent to the manufacturing cost though so gently caress that.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

If your hotel has a gym it probably has a water dispenser of some kind in it that you can use to fill up for free. If the hotel you're staying in doesn't have a gym it's probably a crummy hotel.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

dr_rat posted:

The only time I ever hear about American Express is from jokes about it or from signs in a shop saying they don't accept it.

As far as I can tell it only exists so people can make jokes about how much it sucks.

My first job's corporate card was amex. More places accepted it than you'd think. It only became a problem when I worked outside of north america.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Please subscribe to my pudcast.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Bandcamp is probably hosed:

https://www.wired.com/story/epic-games-sale-bandcamp-music-platform-limbo/

quote:

Bandcamp employees were stunned to learn that some of them would not be receiving job offers from Songtradr. That day, the acquisition was announced publicly, and multiple Bandcamp employees say they began losing access to many of the systems needed to do their jobs, leaving the platform operating with limited oversight...

Songtradr purchased the platform’s business and operations but not its staff, according to Sandy Pope, bargaining director for the Office of Professional Employees International Union, which since March has represented 67 out of some 120 Bandcamp workers.

There goes the last thing I cared about on the internet. gently caress you Epic. They probably just bought Bandcamp to play Lawsuit Games (TM) with Apple.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Remulak posted:

Since I had Covid all I can drink is IPAs, they have a nice bitterness but everything else is just bland.

Maybe this is my secret to becoming a cilantro enjoyer

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just got a youtube ad for a device that sucks your dick for you.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Should've poo poo in the mustang before you left.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I would like to become a terrorist

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Comstar posted:

Work is closing the building cafe on Fridays and every other day at 2pm. The only place to eat is 10 minutes drive in any direction. There is no vending machines either.

Have fun with everyone leaving the building for 25+ minutes every time they want a coffee, snack or lunch. Productivity is going to hit the roof.

I know city living isn't for everyone but I always found this depressing about suburban offices that I've traveled to for work. I can't believe how isolated so many of them are. Not even a strip mall within walking distance for a variety of food or something.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Wifi Toilet posted:

For $6k you get the whole Look, not just jeans

The "bugs bunny gave me a cigar that's actually a stick of dynamite" look

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

MrQwerty posted:

every store within a 2 mile radius of my house does this and has been doing this for years :)

don't try to buy toiletries after 8PM if you live in the hood, cuz the whole area is locked up! You can try the store that's 4-5 miles away and closes at 9, though.

gently caress CVS, walgreens, duane reede or any other of the big stores that lock up their poo poo and treat their customers like criminals.

All of the small pharmacies in the exact same neighborhoods just have their toothpaste and deodorant out on the shelves and not behind plastic. I'll just shop at those instead.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

GABA ghoul posted:

What's the theory on why enshitification massively accelerated in the last year? Google squeezing real hard right now with search being almost unusable & YT cracking down on ad blockers, Reddit axed 3rd party apps, etc.

Most of the tech industry is highly profitable, made a shitton of money during the pandemic and the tech job market cooled down. Why are they doing this now?

I think they're emboldened by each other's layoffs and policy changes that piss off their employees and customers but almost never seem to cause them to actually lose enough support to eat poo poo. For example, I'm sure Google saw what happened with Netflix cracking down on account sharing and decided they could get away with forcing people to pay for youtube with crackdowns on ad blockers.

On a personal level, many years ago I left a large company to work for a very small, specialized company that was privately owned. A slightly larger company started pouring honey into the owners ears about growth and in short order they agreed to let the larger company purchase us. Long story short, they ended up selling themselves to a large company and just like that I was back where I started.

The next company I went to recently took on outside investors because of growth. A year later a huge round of layoffs just to satisfy revenue growth targets.

BOTH of these companies were very profitable and had no specific need for growth. In both cases a company I actually liked working for became hosed up because of growth. I swear to god I'd rather listen to the anguished screams of dying children than sit in on another all hands meeting where some dick head in a patagonia vest talks about revenue growth.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Nobody can help you. If you need customer support for any reason, gently caress you. Click through a bunch of frequently asked questions that don't describe any issue you're experiencing before you reach the option to chat with a bot. If you're lucky you might be able to scare up a customer support number, but good luck talking to a loving human being on there either.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

redshirt posted:

Once you've reached Bossy Lady you are right proper screwed.

In spite of my username I am very nice IRL and not at all bossy :angel:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

I just got a new phone and it is made of the worlds most slippery material. When I'm talking to someone on the phone and am pinching it between my cheek and my shoulder I can feel it slipping down. I can feel it sliding between my fingers when I go for it in my pocket or hold it up to text or browse the internet. If I put it on the couch next to me, the divot in the couch made by my rear end can cause it to slide forward and off the couch. I live in mortal fear of this thing slipping out of my hand like a bar of soap and shattering on the ground.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's time to get rid of cars

I can't tell if it's confirmation bias, but the way people are driving lately around me makes me believe this more than ever.

Just last night when I was crossing the street at a red light some rear end in a top hat slowly drove around the cars in front of him into the oncoming lane to blow through the light and make a left. Just to get stuck in traffic again.

These days, I don't even cross the street immediately when I get the signal because some shithead will always blow through the solid red light.

If the city would crack down on lovely driving with citations and use the money on our public transit, I'm positive we could gold plate all of our trains. I guess it's more important for NYPD to demonstrate how useless they are.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Beastie posted:

I bike 4.5 miles each way to work. I don't know if its something we're putting in the water at work but I almost got hit three times. Twice by people turning into the flow of traffic and only checking the traffic in one direction. Had to shout at both of them for them to see me. The other was someone making a turn perpendicular to my direction of travel. Again, had to shout to make her see me. Hit the brakes hard enough to skid.

I was obeying all traffic laws pertaining to cyclists in my city. I know because I work for the city and there are posted signs. Its loving wild.

I feel awful for cyclists in this city. Recently, McGuinness blvd (one of the more dangerous streets for biking) was supposed to be completely redesigned with protected bike lanes. For reference:

But business owners complained that the reduction to two lanes would "hurt their business", even though evidence points to the contrary:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-08/for-store-owners-bike-lanes-boost-the-bottom-line

So our shithead mayor decided on a redesign that pleases no one and doesn't make McGuinness blvd much safer for cyclists.

Furthermore, the city has actually decided to do something about the mountains of trash on the sidewalks with a European style trash bin pilot program. Of course because this takes up parking (and because of a little bit of weird nimbyism), some people are complaining:

https://gothamist.com/news/giant-trash-bins-land-in-harlem-will-they-fight-rats-or-just-take-up-parking

The dumbest man in Manhattan posted:

“They take up parking. That’s not nice,” said Josef Rojas, who parked his SUV outside the apartment building across the street from the school. He’s lived in the building for 25 years and says the city needs to better enforce existing sanitation rules instead, such as ticketing businesses for not using lidded cans or putting trash out too early.

Get hosed Josef. You don't need a car in Manhattan. And even if you do because you are an edge case, get hosed.

I would KILL to have these things in my neighborhood. I can't believe people are calling these eyesores as opposed to the mountains of loving trash that sit on the sidewalk for vermin to root around in.

What really gets me is that things don't just get worse. They also never get loving better. People actively work to prevent any positive change because of whatever idiotic mild convenience they think it will cause them.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Rochallor posted:

Look how they massacred my fortune cookies.

I didn't think they could sink any lower than putting kung fu panda 3 ads in fortune cookies but here we are.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

His Divine Shadow posted:

Got my kids their first PCs, came with Windows 11 and I've been helping them set them up and trying to install some games and christ Windows 11 sucks, really exudes that late stage capitalist dystopian feel.

Give your kids linux. That'll put some hair on their chests

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

happyhippy posted:

The Backrooms

Used to be just a persistent sense of existential dread of liminal spaces.
The uncanny valley of not faces but of rooms and corridors as you walked down them.

Now its 'OMG LOL LEVEL 12348 HAS HOSPITAL BEDS AND KIDS TOYS AND THE ENTITIES ON IT ARE THE SMILERS, SKINWALKERS, AND EWOKS.
TO GET THERE YOU CAN GO FROM LEVEL 324 OR FROM LEVEL 64252332'

Everything needs to have "lore" now. It's not sufficient to enjoy something without 3,000 wiki pages explaining the backstory or melvins picking apart every minute detail to find meaning.

I don't know if the proliferation of the internet has made this worse or if it has always been here and is just more noticeable because of the internet.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

redshirt posted:

lol please refer back to this comment when you question in the years to come "Have I turned into an old man?"

What do you mean? I'm already old as hell. Look at my reg date

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

What about a greatest hits year where we take the good poo poo from previous decades and don't do any of the bad poo poo

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't get exposed to pretty much any new stuff. I have to actively search it out and I just sort of don't. I couldn't name a single Taylor Swift song if someone had a gun to my head. I thought Call Me Maybe was one for like a decade but just found out I was wrong!

I listen to NPR almost exclusively when I'm in my car. I have a USB plugged in with a bunch of old music I liked and I haven't updated it in years. However, I did just get spotify because I wanted to create a playlist of all of the songs my late father would play. Boomer rock, I guess, as was mentioned. Which I love and always will. And I listen to it in my basement on a huge amplifier and play along to it on guitar, bass, drums. It's fun.

I've seen a bunch of famous people (Obama, etc) post their songs they are listening to and they'll list 20 bands/performers I've never heard of. I'll have to figure out a way to get new music into my life.

I'm not trying to come off like "I don't even own a TV" but rather more like "I'm way behind the times and I should really really try to expose myself to new stuff but I don't care too much atm?"

:corsair:

:smith:

We went over it earlier in this thread but bandcamp is actually a great way to discover new music. At least until songtradr bleeds it dry and dismantles it.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Waste of Breath posted:

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but I just have to add to how completely stupid it is.

New Toyota comes with subscription service for remote start, whatever. Mine expired and it was bitterly cold here so I figure what the hell, I'll spend $15 and cancel it (the app actually lets you pay without it being a recurring charge which is... At least something even if that bar is on the floor), cheaper than having a remote start installed and I get through this cold snap on a bit of comfort.

First hurdle. Gotta pair my phone app to the car to prove my ownership and activate it, so I gotta go out in the cold anyway. Never mind that I already HAD access with the free trial that expired.

Second hurdle, I gotta take a picture of a QR code on the screen to link it. Never loads. "waiting for app". Call Toyota, on hold for 10 min, turns out that you can hit the emergency alert button and say "remote connect" and they'll activate it without any app fuckery. The lady said it may take up to 24 hours to activate(!) but I immediately had access so I think that was just for boomers.

So I pull up the app and...

Come the gently caress on.

E: fixed image and no I won't be keeping it

Did you name your car "Nichijou"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Beastie posted:

Okay, that makes sense. We make drinking water so someone getting into the SCADA terminal remotely and loving poo poo up would be bad. We'd probably catch it immediately but they could do just about anything short of turning off the water for the whole city.

I used to recommend doing this after assessments but nobody ever implemented it because it pissed off engineers. Kudos to wherever you work.