Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Best run so far, dead by 300 mil blind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

:balatros:

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Tibbeh posted:

so I've done about half a dozen runs or so and the highest I've gotten is ante 7. Anyone got tips for deck building because it feels like I'm just throwing poo poo at the wall and its not working. Game's great fun though, it keeps bringing me back even if I'm bad at it

Short form: Early on you need very little in the way of mults/chips to hit thresholds so typically you want one or two economy jokers to build up your funds. From there you slowly change from economy jokers to score/utility jokers to make the blinds. The only reason to keep an economy joker in your pool late game is if it's polychrome, negative or it's actively helping your mult due to effects of other jokers.

As for building the deck itself, typically you build around the jokers you get, not build in anticipation of the jokers you might get. If the game is tossing flush jokers at you and you're building the deck for straights you may lose pretty quickly. All hands can win a run with the right build and foresight.

Long form: Here's a good vid from Haelian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9Eva03zU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Holy poo poo I'm really bad at poker, apparently. Any tips?

Kuros posted:

Short form: Early on you need very little in the way of mults/chips to hit thresholds so typically you want one or two economy jokers to build up your funds. From there you slowly change from economy jokers to score/utility jokers to make the blinds. The only reason to keep an economy joker in your pool late game is if it's polychrome, negative or it's actively helping your mult due to effects of other jokers.

As for building the deck itself, typically you build around the jokers you get, not build in anticipation of the jokers you might get. If the game is tossing flush jokers at you and you're building the deck for straights you may lose pretty quickly. All hands can win a run with the right build and foresight.

Long form: Here's a good vid from Haelian https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eby9Eva03zU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Honestly, just about any common decent joker will clear the first couple antes with minimal effort and cost.

Any of the +4 suit jokers, even steven, jolly joker, half joker, mystic summit, misprint, gros michel (as long as it doesn't kill itself), etc.

Just slap one of them into your pool and play around them.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

RoboCicero posted:

Yeah but what about getting two econ jokes and folding to the ante 2 big blind, huh? HUH?

*Buys Delayed Gratification and Business Card*

WHY CAN'T WIN GAME!?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Just call me Johnny SixtyOneHearts :smuggo:

Absolutely busted run. Entire hand was Hearts, and just kept adding more and more and more as the run went on. Convert to Hearts, delete other decks, and making sure I converted as many cards as I could into bonus cards.
Real hero of the run was the Flash Card gaining a +2 multiplier everytime I rerolled the shop & having a ton of Lucky Cards to have a shitloard of money + the Supernova card gaining a multiplier everytime I played a poker hand type(flush). I think I finished the run at 32x, and 40x above is when I couldn't get past the 1/2 million wall on the small blind of Ante 10

Game owns bones.

:argh: Move Supernova to the right so the 1.5x procs after all of the mults!

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Jossar posted:

Yeeesh, that's going in the highlight reel. Also added some of the guides to the first page.

Gonna see if I can finish out White Stakes tonight! Or at the very least a couple more decks, since there's so many other games asking to be played as well.

One thing to put into the guides part, hands and jokers are tallied up from left to right in order in MOST cases. Conditional triggers from jokers will trigger first before triggering other effects in the joker pool from left to right.

Example:

Your jokers are in order: Campfire (+.5x mult per sold card starting at 1x mult), Scary Face (face cards get +30 chips) and Joker (+4 mult)

If you play a three of a kind of Kings and Campfire is at 1.5x, you will trigger the Scary Face first per king, then the Campfire and finally the Joker. The Campfire is mostly wasted due to it going first in front of the +4 mult from the Joker. So you end up with a 7.5 mult as you would get 3 from the hand, then 1.5x from Campfire then +4 from the Joker.

If you switch the Joker and Campfire you get: 3 from the hand + 4 from the Joker which is 7 then 1.5x which is 10.5 mult.

Adding the chips which would be 150 (30 for the hand + 30 for each king + 90 from the Scary Face) you would have 1125 chips in the first example, but 1575 in the second example.

Typical rule of thumb is: +Chips or +Mult goes on the left, anything that does xMult goes on the right. These rules apply to cards/jokers that have Foil, Hologram, Polychrome, Mult, Enhanced, Lucky, or Glass.

Kuros fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 21, 2024

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

MJeff posted:

Okay, I'm at a crossroads and need some advice.

My Jokers are:
Business Card - Face Cards have a 50% chance to give $2 when scored.
Spare Trousers - Gives +2 mult if playued hands contains a two pair (Currently +70 mult) (Holographic - +10 mult)
Abstract Joker - +3 mult for each Joker card (Currently +15 mult) (Polychrome - x1.5 mult)
THE BULL - +2 chips for every dollar you have (Currently +506 chips) (Polychrome - X1.5 mult)
Card Sharp - X3 Mult if played poker hand has already been played this round.

And the one in the shop is "+13 mult for each Queen in hand".

As implied in my last post, I have FOURTEEN QUEENS in my deck (as well as 7 Kings and 9 Jacks). So this is really tempting! But I dunno who I sell to make it happen. Do I sell Abstract, giving up one of my Polychromes? Do I sell Business Card, giving up my money scaling and slowing down THE BULL? Or do I just not pick up the Queen at all?

Depending on what tags you picked up this run, if you have the ability to get $10-20 from your interest, you can probably just sell Business Card as while it's helping with The Bull, it isn't directly helping with scaling. It also depends on what hands you are playing and your available hand size. While +13 mult per Queen sounds great, you have to first draw those queens and then not play those queens for other hands. You'll have to consider if an extra 0-52 mult is worth it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

err posted:

how does smeared joker work if you have a suit specific bonus? does it count if it's the majority suit?

Smeared Joker would count all qualifying cards. If you have Lusty Joker and Smeared Joker and play a flush containing diamonds and hearts, it should count them all.

Keep in mind, this applies for debuffs as well.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

What would be nice is a test mode which would allow to you play around with different combos of cards, jokers, etc. so you can see how the cards interact.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

is it ba-LA-tro or BAL-a-tro

BAH-lah-troh according to wiki

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I learned you can do an ante 0 today.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

What in the absolute gently caress at this seed...

https://old.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b00n25/edited_old_post_e95_infinite_run_deck_with_perkeo/

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Another infinite build that someone got:

https://i.imgur.com/DaSOZqg.mp4

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Jossar posted:

It's always magical when you can get the Wheel to work.

Burned through another couple of challenges this morning. Can't tell if I got lucky, but the Omelette just feels much harder than the rest of them so far. In the vein of "neat little puzzle of what would you do in a forced situation" they're pretty amusing. Definitely room for more of them to be produced.

EDIT: Apparently you can just force the game to register you as having infinity if you score high enough.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1b12pbr/sorry_perkeo_but_i_can_do_this_alone_first/

According to the guy who posted the video, at some point Balatro will still consider there to be a fail state (apart from, you know, the game crashing) so you can't just keep doing this for literal eternity.

There's just something really satisfying about watching the numbers freakout as they climb higher and higher.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

MJeff posted:

What happens if you take it on Ante 1?

DaveWoo posted:

You go to Ante 0, where the blinds are 100/150/200 chips.

Yep, I posted a pic showing this earlier in the thread.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

War Wizard posted:

I just got this game after watching a streamer play it terribly. I've won with the first two decks, but both times it was with a Flush Deck. The first time was hearts and I almost removed all spades from the deck, just had 2 left. Pretty fun game.

My second flush deck actually pulled out some full flushes and now I notice I'm missing two planet cards. I'm assuming those are 5 of and kind and 5 flush?

"Secret" Hands are:

5 of a kind
Flush House
5 Flush

The planet cards for these only show up after you've played them once in a run. On a new run, you have to play the hand again for the planet card to show up.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

You're just now realizing that the Midas Mask pairing with Vampire so well is a JoJo reference.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

@Jossar

Something for the OP:

https://github.com/jie65535/awesome-balatro

Balatro Mods if anyone is interested.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

LifeLynx posted:

Yeah there's no avoiding it. I keep getting the "all cards count as face cards" and build face card synergy that then falls apart against a couple of the bosses. I don't know what solution I'd offer if I was developing the game.

You're the guy who did the Isaac videos aren't you? Those were helpful back when I was playing Flash Isaac.

There's vouchers that allow you to reroll a boss or a couple of jokers that ignore bosses.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

black hole doesnt count as a planet card for the purposes of the constellation joker. rating this game a thumbs down on steam

Well no poo poo, a Black Hole isn't a planet. Learn some astronomy.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nltHmlXRBQU

Balatro says: "The blind to beat is infinity."

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Artelier posted:

This card shop triggered my XCOM doubt response

mystes posted:

I don't even understand what the point of having a 1/1000 chance of breaking is, it's so low. I've never had it get destroyed.

This can, and it will break on you eventually and then you'll have a pretty good WTF response.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I think a cool utility joker would be "Tempered Joker" which halves the chance of glass cards breaking.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Is there a reliable way of cutting cards from decks? Trying to hope for that one loving Tarot card is no way to live.

Not really, it's mainly: Hanged Man, Fool (copying a Hanged Man), Immolate or jokers like Sixth Sense.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

And I had enough money to fund this.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I usually just dump out of runs rather than go endless. I really do at some point need to try to get one of those copy joker-red seal-retrigger things going at some point to get a 100,000,000 point hand and unlock stuntman, but I don't really feel much of a drive to climb the endless antes outside of that.

I have just 3 unlocks left to find so if a run will get me to ante 12, I'll typically roll with it.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I've beaten all the challenges, gotten the highest stake done, and have unlocked and found every single joker.

Except 1.

Goddamnit Chicot just APPEAR you little rear end in a top hat my completionism is killing me.

I feel this, I just need Perkeo for Jokers and the second tier vouchers for +1 Discard and Planet Merchant.

I've been running Anaglyph deck for the double tags to use on econ or the voucher tag.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Finally got the completionist achievement with the last thing to get was the upgraded discard voucher.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Elman posted:

I can't seem to complete my collection cause the "cards can appear at the shop" voucher's upgrade never shows up in the shop after unlocking it. It doesn't help that it's a voucher that actively makes your runs harder, so I don't want to buy it unless my run is already going great.

I even restarted a bunch of times to get the first one to spawn in the first ante, but that seems too tedious. At least I got the "buy 5 vouchers by the end of ante 4" achievement.

Hopefully that voucher will get a buff.

Honestly, run Anaglyph deck white stake. The ability to dupe a ton of money or voucher tags and fish for the upgrade.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Satellite (get $ for each unique planet card played) does not get any bonus from Black Hole, if anyone's wondering about that very specific interaction.

I mean it makes sense, its a spectral card not a planet card. Reading the joker explains the joker.

quote:

Feels Villeneuve posted:

black hole doesnt count as a planet card for the purposes of the constellation joker. rating this game a thumbs down on steam

Kuros posted:

Well no poo poo, a Black Hole isn't a planet. Learn some astronomy.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Can a single wild card benefit from multiple suit interactions? EG: You have hearts and spades give +4 multi, will a wild trigger both?

Even if so, wild feels honestly a little weak of a modifier when you compare it to the chip and multi tarots giving you two cards. If you're going for suit synergy, suit switcher tarots give you 3 cards, though you need to get the right one, and obviously that's less flexible then wild, but I assume there's not a lot of strats that benefit from wild over just having the specific suit you want? Unless you're trying to dodge suit debuffers, in which case Wild is of zero help.

Would it be too powerful if wild was treated as just a suit and not an enhancement? Or would it be too much for the tarot to convert 2 wilds instead of 1?

Yes, a wild card will trigger both. Downside, as you mentioned, is that wild card is affected by all suit debuff bosses.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I got the legendary that makes a negative copy of a consumable and also got the telescope that gives 1.5x for a consumable planet, while playing the checkered deck.

Yes the 1.5x stack, yes having 10 negative jupiters is amazing.

This is one of the ways to get to super high integers.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Got through my first gold stake win with Blue Deck yesterday. Bonus, I got a gold sticker on Cartomancer because it showed up in the shop as negative and I had enough money to buy it.

Also, a pretty good vid about jokers in gold stake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V1KQlcwy2M

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

DrHammond posted:

Does obelisk reset if you play a most-played hand, or does it just stop accumulating additional xmult?

I assumed it was the former, but if latter it might be busted and I need to try.

It resets.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Setec_Astronomy posted:

While there may not be a story in the game, I just learned a story from playing the game.

Apparently the Perkeo joker is based on the court jester Perkeo of Heidelberg, who was a dwarf that reputedly drank 5-8 gallons of wine a day -- the name is a variation of "Perche no?" which was his response to being asked if he wanted another glass of wine. He was so known for his drinking that he was also put in charge of the castle's wine stocks.

According to legend, he lived into his eighties. He eventually fell ill and went to see a doctor who advised him to drink some water. He died the next day.

I figured all of the legendaries are based off of famous jesters.

Here's the rest of them:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboulet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagliacci (Canio)

and Perkeo https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perkeo_of_Heidelberg

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

I've seen it suggested before but someone mentioned that forcing a joker to appear in the first two shops without needing to reroll would be useful. Brotato does something similar by forcing weapons to show up for the first couple shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Perkeo, if you have the upgrade that gives 1.5x mult to the planet card held in hand, it can get bonkers.

So for example, if you have Pluto in hand, it will create more Pluto cards which will give you that 1.5x bonus for making high card hands.

Now duplicate it with blueprint, etc etc.