Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

Okay, here's another thing about the high stakes that annoys the hell out of me.

I see Polychrome Joker on a tag. Great. This might give me an early boost. I take the tag and fight the first boss, scrape by with enough money to buy my Polychrome Joker. The Joker doesn't spawn in the shop because there's two consumables instead. I leveraged the start of my run to try and get some early power, successfully beat the boss and got nothing for it. Now I'm staring down a 1,000 Small Blind and a 1,500 Big Blind with a naked deck. Jesus Christ.

One thing I wish you could do would be to set up the start, without it being a seeded run. I get that rng is part of the game and theme, but something as simple picking your first tag on Ante 1, maybe among a limited set, would smooth out a lot of the early resets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Edit: oh and does wheel of fortune actually work? I've used it like 8 times and it's always a nope. With ¼ odds I should have gotten something by now.

99% of Balatro players abandon a run right before Wheel Of Fortune makes their Vampire Polychrome

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I think I hit a new record for the thread.

Seed is in the screenshot if you want to try it out with the Ghost Deck, White Stakes.

Final Jokers were:

Yorick
Perkeo
Triboulet
Sock and Buskin
Negative Driver's License
Blueprint
Polychrome Brainstorm

Gameplay spoilers:

I ended up getting a Cryptid and an Eris (flush five planet) in my inventory, and with Blueprint+Brainstorm+Perkeo I was able to make 3 copies between the two every time I left the shop. Eventually I got a Polychrome King which I copied a bunch, then I made one of them glass and copied that one a bunch, then I got to add a Red Seal to one of them and copied that a few times, but the Ante 14 boss was The Plant and ruined all my Kings before I was able to ever play a 5x Glass Red Seal Polychrome King Hand.

For Joker ordering I think the optimal was the following:

Triboulet, Sock and Buskin, Blueprint, Brainstorm, Driver's License, Yorick

Flush Five was somewhere around level 15-20, so I around 550x50 or something like that. I'll say 500x50 for ease of math. Had I been able to play a full Flush Five of Polychrome, Glass, Red Sealed Kings, it would have been the following:

Base: 500x50
For each King:
+10 chips, x2 (Triboulet), x2 (Blueprint), x2 (Brainstorm), x1.5x (Polychrome), x2 (Glass)
(Total +10 chips, x24 mult)
repeat all of the above from Red Seal
(Total +20 chips, x576 mult)
repeat all of the above from Sock and Buskin
(Total +40 chips, x 331776 mult)

Do that all 5 times
(Total +200 chips, x4019988717840603673710821376 mult)

x3 mult from Driver's License, x1.5 mult from Polychrome Brainstorm, x5 mult from Yorick

(Total +200 chips, x90449746151413582658493480960 mult)
+500 chips and x50 mult from the base hand
=
700 chips x 4522487307570679132924674048000 mult
or
Score: 3.16574e+33 chips

I'm so sad I didn't get to play the best possible hand, but this was amazing fun either way.

Do you remember any of your early picks? I made it to ante 4 or 5 with the Polychrome Brainstorm, but was really lacking something to give me some initial mult (that would later get X15 or so from that one Joker that gives you x3 if all held cards are Spade or Club

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aggro posted:

Extremely stupid question. How the hell do you build a deck that works that isn’t a Flush deck?

The only way I’ve been able to make deep runs is getting lucky with the Spectral Card that converts a bunch of cards to one suit or other tools that thin the deck. Some well placed Red tokens and multi cards, and flushes score well.

But I can’t see how people are managing to win decks designed around like, two pair. What am I missing?

I just had a run (that I won, first in a decent few hours :toot:) that did just that (on white stake, but still).

I got a Straight joker early on, so I used that to help out a bit while I progressed, and developed a build around that. My main multiplier was Spare Trousers, so I focused on two pairs and full houses, and I picked up Constellation, and I was picking up every Planet and pack I could find. Cartomancer gave me free Tarots, which I used to manipulate into some easier pairs. Baseball Card was a blessing too, and I just accidentally stumbled into Driver's License, so I was hitting big numbers off of just two pairs, but couldn't make it past Small Blind of Ante 11.

What worked for me was finding something that scaled, and focusing towards it, and keeping up with money. Once you break past the $25, you get $5 in interest every round, which helps, and I was able to pick up every non-joker from shops without much worry. Sure, I wasn't going to pass up something Negative, but once I had an engine going, I could focus on my deck, which cards I had more/fewer of (including an Ouija which gave me a bunch of Queens), so by the end I was discarding for As, Qs, 10s, and 8s. Couldn't filter too much, and hand size went down to six, which didn't help, but I was taking all the opportunities I could to edit my deck after I got going.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

i know one hand isn't anything in the grand scheme, and it's a real good unlock, but discarding a royal flush wounded my soul

I did that yesterday I think.

I already had the unlock

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just had a sick run with Ghost deck, my first joker was the one that gives x2 if you have a Flush, made it Polychrome, then copied it. My goal was to do no pairs and no straights, and managed both, ended up with like 25 played flushes, and a level of 10, but died around ante 11, wasn't focused too much.

Unlocked both jokers I wanted so goal done, and now I'm only missing one blind, I beat the last ante 8 one I was missing for the collection

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

No Wave posted:

If its ante 1 small blind and my hand is A K K 8 7 5 2 with two or less of each suit I don't know what the correct play is.

Holding R :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Skip for negative joker? :yeah:

*Store loads in 2 planet cards*

This happens so many times and I can't afford both the reroll and the card.

Doesn't it still apply for the next joker to appear in the shop? Not ideal since you need to play another round, but

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

So would "doubles all odds" affect this negatively then? 2 in 1000.

Yep, just as it would the other banana

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

War Wizard posted:

Yeah, I was gonna mention this too. Pretty good way out of debt. I'm just wondering if it also works with The Ox (most played hand sets money to 0).

It does work with The Ox, saw a video the other day that mentioned it.

PostNouveau posted:

there isn't multipliers for chips

There is, it's the multiplier :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Had a nice little Spare Trousers run with spectral deck. Feels like the one most ripe to get busted, with the free polychrome, but I still died at the ante 8 boss, couldn't but 300k (barely).

I want to unlock that joker that unlocks at 400 bucks but my best so far has been around 190, not sure how I can push that

Edit: four of a kind should count for Trousers, it's two pairs of the same rank

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chalks posted:

As others have said, it's taking about the number of cards in your deck. The reason it's phrased in this way is because other cards that say "+x per card added to your deck" actually only count cards added after you buy the joker and isn't impacted by removing cards. This one works per card removed no matter when, but it's cancelled out by adding cards.

It took me a second to parse too because you think, surely it would just say "per card removed"

This is an annoyance of mine with the Constellation joker (among others). If it scales per Planet card used, how hard could it be to make it count previously played planets, making it a much easier pickup later on, rather than "tough poo poo, didn't see this early"

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

I've been thinking that despite a Tarot raising the rank of cards, there doesn't seem to be a way to manipulate rank downwards. I guess it'd be a downgrade, but I had a bunch of 4s earlier and I'd like to be able to make some 5s into them, for example

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah, I usually just dump out of runs rather than go endless. I really do at some point need to try to get one of those copy joker-red seal-retrigger things going at some point to get a 100,000,000 point hand and unlock stuntman, but I don't really feel much of a drive to climb the endless antes outside of that.

For these unlocks, it's gotta be unseeded right? Basically pray to the RNG, I'm not sure I've ever had a run get me even close to hitting that

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

This was a funny run. It didn't look promising at first since I had to take 2 middling Eternals to start, but the Polychrome Stencil into Ceremonial Dagger made it all click. My only issue after that point was getting my Square Joker to scale because even a High Card could 2 or 3-shot the blind :v:

Is the different suits being different colors a mod? I've seen it on a stream but I couldn't find an option at a glance.

Edit I'm dumb it's "High contrast cards"

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 8, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Beating the game in 12 round is a little tricky. You need to get a deck that scales well early, then you can just skip all the non-boss blinds. If you get the joker that levels up every time you skip a blind, you can force your way through this one pretty painlessly.

Legendaries are random. It is what it is.

Pretty sure that's how I did it, pretty much by accident.

Still need a bunch: play all Hearts in the deck, $400, 100M, 30 Clubs and 30 Diamonds (wild cards and Painted Joker don't count I imagine?). and more. Hell I don't have any stake other than basic beaten

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i desire a third, even more powerful type of banana

Gros Michel is 1/4
Cavendish is X3
Plantain... Raises your mult to the power of 2

:getin:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Fuligin posted:

Regency Solitaire and its spinoff Shadowhand are decent games that my partner enjoyed enough to beat and replay, but they arent designed super tightly and they have a narrative focus that means they arent really in the same space as 'poker roguelike' at all so... yeah. Sorry dev guy but you made a game aimed at a much more narrowly scoped audience?

I guess this is a decent enough attempt to build buzz

Yeah, I've heard Regency Solitaire is a fun enough game, but it's nothing like Balatro, the audience overlap can't be anything other than "small", and the amount of people that were like "I have exactly [equivalent of 15 euro in local currency], guess I better buy Balatro over Regency Solitaire 2 " must be miniscule.

Like yeah whatever, sucks to make less money than the other guy, but this is apples to oranges, and it just makes me not care for RS if the dev is gonna whine like that tbh.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I feel like putting out a solid demo goes a long way towards putting your game nobody's heard of on the map.

It got me to buy Balatro, can confirm. Conversely, the demo not being available anymore is a bummer

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Oh sweet, The Soul and I'm in Ante 9, maybe I'll unlock one of the three I'm missing.

I was not missing Yorick :negative:

Need to get some good rng soon to push a little, missing a few jokers and a couple of vouchers. Gotta buy more cards.

I had a spectral run where I was getting a lot of good going, Spare Trousers, very early Perkeo... made it to ante 11, but you seem to absolutely need retriggers on retriggers to progress, I think the most red seals I've seen in a run has been two. But I might have been able to do better with this run, focused more on doubling and copying than adding stuff.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aggro posted:

Some random questions:

I’ve unlocked every joker except for one Legendary. However, there are two that I still need to purchase in order to get credit. One is “Rough Gem” - $1 for every Diamond played. Is it just bad luck that I haven’t seen it, or does it only show up when I have a shitload of diamonds in my deck?

For Vouchers:

Will Glow Up only appear after I’ve already purchased Hone AND if I have at least 5 Jokers with special abilities? I’ve never even seen it.

Will Antimatter only show if I’ve already purchased Blank? I’ve unlocked it but I’ve only seen it once.

Am I ever going to unlock Illusion? I don’t want to buy 20 piece of poo poo cards from the shop :(

Should show at the same rarity as other uncommon ones, don't think there's something special. I got the Hearts one a few runs ago but it wasn't too great for me

Vouchers from what I understand you need to have the base one to get the advanced one, but don't need to "unlock" the advanced one again. So you need Blank to Antimatter, and Hone to get Glow Up, but you don't need 5 foul/mult/poly jokers. As to buying cards, I guess your best bet is being lucky to get it early along with Overstock, but it's cumulative, not in a single run i think. So you can grab as much as you can, when you cab, and work to it

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

goblin week posted:

i had things to do yesterday evening

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elman posted:

I did Jokerless!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xDeczqiro

I got really lucky with the flush planet cards early on and then I found telescope and that let me scale into the endgame. I didn't even need to abuse glass cards, just a nice and consistent flush deck with a couple of steels:

I'm lucky I never ran into a bad bossfight. You can actually get the "debuffs all your cards until you sell a joker" one in this challenge...

Not a good run for getting the "Play all Hearts in your deck in one round" unlock :v:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Elman posted:

Imagine randomly getting this seed:

https://youtu.be/6UxTuvkZTs8

I need this person to have some/all of the following jokers:
-Blackboard
-Arrowhead
-Wrathful

Probably gets you through even "debuff Spades" since the mult should be good enough without card effects right? Or do they not trigger the jokers?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Edit,
Wait, is there a planet joker? There's definitely a tarot one....

There's a joker that gains x0.1 mult per Planet card used (doesn't count Black Hole, since that's a Spectral), is that what you mean? Another creates a Planet card.

EDIT: Well uh, pray for reroll voucher/joker, but man that seems fun to play, would love to be dropping flush fives all day.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Mar 14, 2024

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I think it's just a classic case of the average gamer still thinking about the medium the same way they did as a kid, e.g. "It would be so cool if this game had an epic story and you could see the jokers battling against the boss ante when you played your hands and there was a choice and consequence system with dialogue and you could talk to your jokers to build a relationship with them to unlock new abilities and and and" type bullshit where they have no idea how games are made and their contributions mostly amount to daydream delusional poo poo.

I worked in social media for a few small games and it's pretty much how the majority of people think, and an astonishing amount of them are grown rear end adults.

Story, seeing your allies fight against the boss, choices (ish), dialogue, joker, building relationships to unlock abilities, tarot...

Atlus, hire the Balatro guy for Persona 5!

Joke aside, that sounds indeed like a game that could be a lot of fun. Not the same kind of fun as Balatro, but it'd be a different game at that point. I get wanting it, but it's weird to want one game to be another. Like, I've got Melvor Idle running right now, I don't need Balatro have like, a mastery level for 5s or whatever.

Some RNG mitigation would be nice though, or shuffling of stakes. Green stake as the first one would be a fine place to start, a limitation that's not just restriction, but lets you change things up a bit.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Put Jimbo as a goldfish opponent, where you can set up your deck/hand/jokers/etc any way you'd like and just see number go up

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Relyssa posted:

Black is my favorite solely because eternal jokers are a really fun twist. The game would probably be a lot better if they were way lower on the stake ladder.

Thirding this. It's the perfect first stake switch I feel, you get no pure drawback (same money, same blind amounts), but it's still affecting your entire run and choices. I genuinely want to unlock it so I can try it out.

Like, example that comes to mind, you have Madness, you need some economy, you might want to refresh or hope for an Eternal, whereas without it you're going to be more cutthroat, since spending money on jokers means it's a bit of a waste (unless you need it at the next blind, of course)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Aggro posted:

https://i.imgur.com/clr4Qhb.mp4

That's probably enough Balatro for me for a while.

"Diamonds are debuffed"