Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Is Definitely
Jan 10, 2012
Hello from the bottom of the North Atlantic Ocean Goldmine :five:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiskas
May 30, 2005

I regret learning to read.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I’m loving jealous of all the first year engineering students in 2040 who get taught about this incident in their Physics 1 classes instead of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge or the Kansas City Hyatt Walkway collapse

pretty sure by then there will be an entire major dedicated to studying structure collapses in florida

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
cease to resist
given my goodbyes
drive my sub into the ocean
you'll think i'm dead
and i am

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!
Are we ready to entomb this thread in the goldmine yet, like the Titan, it should end abruptly before sinking any deeper

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Chamale posted:

I just read Futility: The Wreck of the Titan, and uh spoiler warning for a 125-year-old novel but it raised a legal question: In the book, the Titan hits an iceberg while the sailor on lookout was drunk, which voids the Titan's insurance policy. The only person alive to testify to this fact is the sailor himself, and he freely tells the insurance company's lawyers. When he learns that the child he rescued from the wreck will get a large inheritance if the insurance is paid out, he refuses to testify. Would this be some kind of insurance fraud?

It would be fraud, yes. This would be a lie of omission.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

zedprime posted:

Crabs trying to attract more billionaires.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
CRUSH MY SUB INTO PIECES
FAILED ENGINEER REPORT
CONTROLLER, NOT LINKING
SIGNED A WAIVER SO ITS FINE IF WE'RE SINKING

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
Under the sea, under the sea, there’ll be no more taxation, just rapid pressurisation, under the seaaaaaa

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I assume someone must have already done:

Crush my sub into pieces,
This is my last resort

e:fb

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

wet_goods posted:

Are we ready to entomb this thread in the goldmine yet, like the Titan, it should end abruptly before sinking any deeper

I dunno, I think there may be a little more room for hilarity once the investigation spins up.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

We can see how long the carbon fiber around the thread holds up, I suppose.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Spinz posted:

The conspiracy theorists are going wild here's the weirdest one I have seen

I forgot about 17 being such an important number to the Qrazies

Allegedly there was an 18th bolt but .... :

https://twitter.com/chiller/status/1671779333784961024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

From what I understand, it was essentially the same in the specific physical sense, but like the discount gamepad, it speaks to a much greater culture of disregard for tested safety protocols and hard-learned lessons.

Turns out, when it comes to highly technical stuff like going to space or the deep ocean, you can't just "wing it" and expect to come home again.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I don't feel bad for the rich people buying tickets to go on this thing or the CEO of the company (lmao what an rear end in a top hat) but I do feel bad for that kid who was on board because he just wanted to support his idiot dad for father's day

Like his dad's sitting inside the metal tube all like "See, son? It's fine, don't worry! Join us!" and internally his brain is screaming DO NOT CRAWL INTO THAT OCEAN COFFIN as he goes ahead and does it anyway, that sucks

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,

bob ballast lol

perfect thread btw, esp the "wont someone pls think of the slave labor billionaires!" posters. sad its over

thehandtruck fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 23, 2023

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I was able to recreate the last moments of the Titan submersible.

https://tinyurl.com/2vrh4zrz

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Schweinhund posted:

JFC lol

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

So did they die faster than someone at ground zero in Hiroshima or Nagasaki, given the height at which the bombs detonated? Seems like it was pretty quick.

Like, can you map distance in meters from point directly under nuclear bomb to meters under sea in terms of death speed?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Schweinhund posted:

Fuckin lol

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Wile E. Toyota posted:

This shocked me so much that I went to the site just to see and there are now over 30 "fanfictions," most of which involve the guys loving each other. It's rare that things on the internet shock me anymore, but I was absolutely appalled.

That's called "post nut clarity"

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Normal Barbarian posted:

So did they die faster than someone at ground zero in Hiroshima or Nagasaki, given the height at which the bombs detonated? Seems like it was pretty quick.

Like, can you map distance in meters from point directly under nuclear bomb to meters under sea in terms of death speed?

dunno but I hope you get your answer. am assuming your next wank depends on it

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

This gem deserves a last look before this thread goes over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/thehighlight0/status/1671729168940437504

How am I still learning new and exciting ways in which the sub was an absolute piece of poo poo, lol. This mf wouldn't even pop for a power drill with a bolt attachment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Blood OSHA

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Schweinhund posted:

:five:

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

For every 10 meters of saltwater depth, multiple sites say that pressure increases linearly by another atmosphere. So if the ill-fated explorers were still descending at a depth of about half a kilometer, then the pressure surrounding them would've been 50 atmospheres (Titanic settled at the edge of the Abyssal zone at 400 atmos) when something in Titan's hull began to fail. The following catastrophic pressure equalization took the craft's internal sea-level atmo to the outdoor 50 in a near instant, which is a hell of a lot of force to exert on the human body. Even a much smaller 9 atmo change, referring to this oil rig decompression article,
has all the force to cube a guy through a half a meter compartment hole in a flash.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

BarbarousBertha posted:

This gem deserves a last look before this thread goes over.

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

:lol: at people posting that haven't read every post in this thread.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I'm going to miss this sub and the many threads. Here is my music video and performance in appreciation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bFHsd3o1w0

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

For every 10 meters of saltwater depth, multiple sites say that pressure increases linearly by another atmosphere. So if the ill-fated explorers were still descending at a depth of about half a kilometer, then the pressure surrounding them would've been 50 atmospheres (Titanic settled at the edge of the Abyssal zone at 400 atmos) when something in Titan's hull began to fail. The following catastrophic pressure equalization took the craft's internal sea-level atmo to the outdoor 50 in a near instant, which is a hell of a lot of force to exert on the human body. Even a much smaller 9 atmo change, referring to this oil rig decompression article,

has all the force to cube a guy through a half a meter compartment hole in a flash.

reportedly they said they had a hull problem at 13k feet and had dropped weights. That is 392.55 atm of pressure

https://bluerobotics.com/learn/pressure-depth-calculator/?input=13000ft

they got turned into paste in an instant when it imploded

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Just catching up on the lols

lol that their boat AND the navy knew they imploded on Sunday

lol that an international rescue effort still went underway

lol that they use a ratchet to seal a sub

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

e: probably unwise to share and this is funnier

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

YOUR MEEEEAT AND BLOWN SMITHEREENS

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

Here you go buddy.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I think I'll miss the videogame CEO most of all

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ratjaculation posted:

Just catching up on the lols

lol that their boat AND the navy knew they imploded on Sunday

lol that an international rescue effort still went underway

lol that they use a ratchet to seal a sub

And most likely because the company wanted to try to blame government response to skirt any sort of liability for being incredibly incompentent.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

YOUUUU WHORE YOU BOLTED THE DOOR

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
No torque rating on the bolts, I assume. They could have over-tightened (unlikely) or under-tightened (very likely) the bolts. I'm guessing that they also haven't got a tightening regime, which can lead to a poor seal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

a million twitter accounts meditating in the attempt to use the entirety of their posting power to create the hottest submarine death take, all happening at once, this could be disastrous for the psychic state of our world