Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah carbon monoxide is a peaceful death, carbon dioxide is the convulsing and feeling like you're suffocating kinda death.

Ugh! Whichever, of carbon's many oxides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

Do we know the time the sub was launched? There seems to be conflicting reports about how much oxygen is left (assuming the sub is still in one piece..), some outlets say they have less than 24 hours left

It's kind of a moot point, isn't it? Unless they find it floating on the surface, I don't think any rescue could reach and recover them from the sea floor in time for it to matter.

Edit: as an example, the Pisces III recuse took days, and that happened in much shallower water with a better fix on the sunken sub's location.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 21, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

fullerene posted:

The body count was lower in number but far higher in worth in that one :(

God drat, that took a turn.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Jestery posted:

From what I understand the banging is a "failsafe" that automatically goes off and makes the kind of noise that can be zeroed in on so the sub can be rescued

This should not be taken as evidence that

A. The sub is in one piece
B. The passengers are alive
C. The thumper is even attached to the sub

It is just a timer and a maracca, that's it

Also, y'all need to think about what pressure is and how it works,

Also, D. The thumping heard was the beacon and not some other ocean noise

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

les enfants Terrific! posted:

Has anyone brought up that one of the only subs that's ever been this deep down (and deeper still) is owned by Gabe Newell? Because that feels insane to me, too.

DSV Limiting Factor!

At least in that instance, it's less a rich man's toy and more the rich dude owning the research outfit that operates the sub and does proper science with the thing. GabeN himself isn't cavorting around the sea floor menacing crabs with one of his big-rear end knives.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 21, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Dang, comparing Limiting Factor's pressure hull to the Titan's paints a pretty stark contrast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pookah posted:

edit: why are there no harnesses or even handles in it??? That thing even get to make an emergency surface, all the crew are going to get thrown around like the balls in bingo machine.

Again, by way of contrast, the interior of Limiting Factor, complete with... chairs!

I assume they went with a cylinder over a sphere so they could fit more people in, stuffs like seats and straps might limit them to only three passengers rather than four. That's 250k fewer buckaroos per trip!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Pookah posted:

I was just trying to find this exact thing, thanks - so they are definitely not designed to be used as a single stabilizing point for up to three people to hang out of in rough ocean conditions.

There. Whole loving tomb-sub in a nutshell.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

LordoftheScheisse posted:

There has been a lot of online sentiment against the people on this submersible and people like them, which is honestly kind of surprising.

They shouted their hubris like a man standing before Zeus and begging for a lightning bolt up the rear end. Even by the standards of rich rear end in a top hat adventurers, these folks were a cut above. It's like when someone goes out to hunt an endangered animal and gets their face bitten off.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's a curious quirk of this situation that the O2 timer is such a hard deadline. Like, there can't be any speculation about how they maybe made it to the surface because it doesn't matter. They're bolted in from the outside and can't egress without help.

Is that a common thing for submarines?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

Submersibles for that depth, yes.

Yeah, fair enough. Maybe we shouldn't be sending squishy humans that deep underwater.

Crazy, I know.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

I'm going to be annoyed by all the documentaries that are rushed already when we still have no idea what happened to it, just all the pre-story.

Why wait when there might not be any more story? Good chance they never find the sub. If they don't, then everything we know now is all we'll ever know.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Shageletic posted:

Lol this section

It does suck that 50yo white dudes hold the majority of institutional experience in a lot of engineering fields, and I'm all for changing that, but you still need a few of them around to hand that experience down.

Or you can die at the bottom of the ocean or whatever; it's your company!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's not what they mean, and the actual reason is far stupider; I'd wager they mean they didn't want any old folks standing around their company because it doesn't fit their marketably-hip and cool fast-moving start-up image.

Oh, I know that's not what he meant. I was just speaking generally.

Edit: dang, this thread moves fast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm guessing you didn't find this on his website, but don't post Stonetoss comics. The dude's a literal nazi.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

TheMightyBoops posted:

Edit: I just think the Gabe sub is cool now.

It is cool as heck. Just this big beefy rectangle cause who the gently caress cares about hydrodynamics when you're derping around with thrusters a billion feet underwater?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Grey Cat posted:

I can't really get over the fact it looks like a little spaceman with a gun.

You should send this to GabeN.

I also lied, it does care about hydrodynamics and it's shaped that way because it moves primarily in the vertical plane. I.e., unlike the Titan, it's very good at going down and up.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Well, at least they got the quick death. Suffocating is an rear end way to die.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Droogie posted:

I wanna see the sub bits

Those'll probably come out during the lawsuits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

From what I understand, it was essentially the same in the specific physical sense, but like the discount gamepad, it speaks to a much greater culture of disregard for tested safety protocols and hard-learned lessons.

Turns out, when it comes to highly technical stuff like going to space or the deep ocean, you can't just "wing it" and expect to come home again.