Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Elon should get in another sub to go rescue them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
A submarine license is the forklift certification of the ocean

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The only good billionaire is the one that takes 4 other billionaires down to the Titanic in a death trap submarine.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Lmao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Zesty posted:

There's something pretty macabe about the other billionaire bringing his kid and this billionaire's kid doesn't seem to give a gently caress about it all.

Yeah I’m sure his billionaire stepdad has always been a steadfast presence in his life.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hamelekim posted:

Gabe Newell spent 37 million dollars on his 2 man submarine that can go down to the deepest parts of the ocean.

Imagine being trapped in a sub with Gaben

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Also if you stick the business end of a bicycle pump into your urethra you can pump yourself up to 600 psi or so. Obviously wouldn’t help in this situation but it’s useful for shallower dives.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Since it’s made of aerospace materials they should try it in space now with a few other billionaires

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I took the sub, it was a diving night
A quarter mil, to see titanic sights
We started looking out, a 10 inch piece of glass
But then the rivets all came free
And that's about the time the walls caved in on me

Nobody wants to be a panini
And be stuck in water to decompose
What the hell is PSI?
poo poo there goes the pressure gauge
How much did I spend?
How much did I spend?

Lmao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anyway I can’t believe you all are so callous. I mean these billionaires HAD A FAMILY*

*family currently drinking $14 white claws at the Blink 182 concert

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Still lolling at cheaping out on the viewport which would be the weakest point even if it was built to withstand the appropriate pressure. My company inspects pressure vessels and this thing wouldn’t have passed to dive in a swimming pool never mind the bottom of the ocean.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Ejector seats would have been lit

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Breaking news: the sub was recovered and it appears to be sabotage. The hull was damaged by someone using a bladed instrument to scrawl YOUR NOT MY REAL DAD BLINK RULEZ in the carbon fiber.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kalleth posted:

These dudes are all dead. The loving thing exploded.

Imploded

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

big nipples big life posted:

I think we need to send more billionaires down in a shoddily built tube to test these implosion/explosion theories.

It’s the only way to be sure

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MoonshineWilly posted:

Man, what a way to go. Dying while huffing rich people farts in a metal pringles can at the bottom of the ocean. The part that gets me is that when you’re that deep and isolated, if anything whatsoever goes wrong, you’re hosed. It’s not like a rescue vehicle can just show up.

Correction: a carbon fiber Pringles can.

Actually, leave Pringles out of this because an actual metal Pringles can would still be functional.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

kalleth posted:

Same with scuba tanks. They're regularly tested to 1.5x~ their rated pressure and shops will only fill tanks with a valid and in date test.

The 20-lb propane tank in your grill is subjected to more rigorous and regular testing than this submersible.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

frumpykvetchbot posted:

is there a spare for the wireless controller? what is it connected to?

it's just a PC isn't it? maybe a raspberry? Is it critical equipment? is it hardened against crashing and random windows bullshit ? can the sub thrusters function without it? is there a hot swappable spare with the exact same configuration?

What is the function of that computer? Does it interpret controller signals and coordinate the thrusters accordingly? Can it operate without the controller, for example with keyboard or touch screen input? What is the connection to the thrusters from the computer?

Sounds like a lot of unnecessary liberal mumbo jumbo to me

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Butterwagon posted:

But their design team is recent college grads.... concerning

Third party design reviews are a waste of time and money when you can just browbeat a 22 year old employee into signing off on the crayon blueprints.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
They probably mapped something important to L3 which always gets accidentally clicked during heated moments, hate that poo poo I’m trying to run not crouch rear end in a top hat

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Look buddy you don’t get rich by spending money on safety

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Someone swapped the Y-axis as a jape

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Hobo Clown posted:

Goddamn, everyone involved either died horribly or will die horribly, and it seems like the entire internet is coming together to absolutely roast the gently caress outta them for it

People just fuckin hate rich people and it owns

What’s even funnier is that the rich people are so up their own asses that they think it’s just because they’re rich and not because of the literal crimes against nature and humanity.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

drunkb posted:

I missed so much since yesterday morning. Why didn’t that goon that built a submarine try this instead of murdering a journalist lady?

Oh yeah…goon

For like the millionth time submarine murderer wasn’t a goon

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

drunkb posted:

How do you know?

A goon helped in building the sub and recorded the project here but that’s not the same guy that killed Kim Wall

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

smoobles posted:

any updates on if they found the sub? ty

Yeah the footage was shown on the previous page:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm kinda jelly

Lol so are they

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Another Bill posted:

I was just thinking last night about the high probability this is going to happen to crew of billionaires on a SpaceX or Blue Horizon rocket in the next few years.

We might get to see Bezos vaporized but Elon’s too much of a coward to get on one of his own rockets (because he knows they’re poo poo).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Pretty sure it’s in the Bible that crabs can go wherever the gently caress they want

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I heard that the Gabensub is steam-powered

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

if you're a billionaire why the gently caress would you spare any expense on anything, ever? There's gotta be other people going down there that you could pay. This lego rear end sub looks so sketchy.

When you have that much money you get stuck in this mindset that everything is transactional and that everything has to have a maximum ROI. Spending the bare minimum on safety features means you can scrape every last cent of profit out of the $250K ticket price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Kwolok posted:

Shame that dipshit didn't install a black box on board, would love to hear their last moments.

Why don’t they make the sub out of the black box? :jerry: