Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

turn off the TV posted:

i respect final fantasy 16 for its pro child murder stance

That side quest was great (unless there's another one that involves a child violently being killled).

"Daddy, help!"

Clive and this other guy just like "lol owned"

When you stop and think about it, that quest was sort of similar to the recent submarine situation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

punished milkman posted:

think we’re talking about the same area. i like the other quest around that zone where clive makes a little girl cry

I like how the moral between those quests is basically "the children can still be taught morals" (with the little girl) and then for the boy is like "except for the really awful ones, feed those little shits to the dogs"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lostconfused posted:

The game outright says the text of the moral, that a chained animal will bite you if you treat it like poo poo, and if it's strong enough you will die.

I get that, but I'm just comparing those two quests which both feature lovely children. The first is portrayed as "redeemable" (in the sense that it's implied that the girl had never thought of her slave as being a human until Clive spoke with her) while with the latter son/father it's "welp, guess that kid + dad faced the consequences of their actions :shrug:"

It was funny because I didn't expect that particular outcome after the former quest.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

euphronius posted:

(the game is enormous , not my kid )

This is shameful. Feed your child better.

If you do not heed this warning, you will feel nothing but regret when the school calls to notify you that your tiny child was devoured by one of his larger classmates.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The FF16 side quests are good specifically because they're so low-effort to do. They seem like they're just an excuse to talk to some NPCs and get little world-building vignettes. I actually prefer this to many other games' side quests that try and cram in a bunch of Content. When I go to do an FF16 side quest, I at least know that it's probably not going to be a pain in the rear end.

To take that "making a girl cry" side quest as an example, the game gives you a couple side quests in that town to communicate how exceptionally lovely it is to Bearers, likely because there no non-awkward way to do so in the main plot without hurting the pacing. It's basically just separating out some world-building NPC interaction into optional content.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

It's weird the reviewer talked about exactly that quest and said Clive doesn't really do anything but mildly scold them and then someone else feeds the racists to a wolf. Actually it's a Stephanie Sterling review so probably fine to just post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgjqXTvHaLk

(spoiler tags just for that one side quest)

Yeah, Clive doesn't feed them to the wolf (they buy another bigger wolf to kill Clive, but the wolf turns on them and kills them instead), but he also makes no effort to help them after hearing the child scream for help and is clearly unbothered by the outcome.

There are definitely parts where I wish you had the option to just murk some assholes, but there's usually a good reason not to do so. In that part you want to stay reasonably undercover, since you're literally in the country whose army Clive deserted. It would be extremely stupid for Clive to start fighting those people in that situation (or even to talk back to them - the last thing he wants is extra scrutiny, since there's always the possibility of him running into some soldier who recognizes him).

The part I'm at now has a certain character I'm really hoping Clive gets to kill, though I'm expecting them to die in some other way. In general it seems like they don't want to show Clive directly murdering non-combatants, even if they're comically evil.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

yea but he’s funny in this game because he will just appear randomly in a dungeon and beat the fuckin poo poo out of you in like 5 seconds and then gently caress off. It’s honestly hilarious and I am glad they included it.

When I'm with my friend I can beat him, but he's really hard solo on some classes.

Granted, I haven't fought him at higher level solo yet (since I never really play my high level character solo), and my current level 51 Sorceress has great survivability. I was basically the tank for the two of us (with my friend as a Druid who turned into a bear, so it was kind of funny that I was better suited for tanking than him).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

They did that with Duriel this time

I feel like this one was almost a deliberate joke, because the protagonist, after the fight, goes "huh, feel like I recognized that from somewhere. wasn't that one of those Lesser Evils?"

edit: I feel bad for Andariel and Duriel - they never even get speaking lines. I was expecting at least Andariel to talk in this one, since Azmodeus and Belial did in D3, but nope - she just gets summoned and you kill her, the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think MK11 is the one I watched all the cutscenes for on YouTube some time back. Is it the one with the time travel? Seemed entertaining.

My favorite Mortal Kombat character was always the movie star guy who is also a powerful fighter because he takes being an action movie star seriously. Couldn't care less about all the different color-themed ninja guys.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Screaming Idiot posted:

My favorite MK fighter is Goro because he has two dicks

I thought Goro in that old Mortal Kombat 90s movie was scary as a kid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

1 is fantastic.
2's main campaign is a dud but the side stuff is cute.

LJ's campaign is okay. It's not as good as Judgment's, but it still kept me interested throughout. And it has much better gameplay + you get another city.

Overall I enjoyed "full package" of LJ more, even though Judgment's plot was significantly better. Judgment's plot is actually probably the most coherent and compelling Yakuza game plot in the franchise, and I finished it with a feeling of genuine shock at how coherent the plot was, with even the more insane parts being pretty plausible. Unlike other Yakuza game plots, it didn't feel dumber and dumber the more you thought about it.

One thing that stood out to me in Judgement is this part where you visit a research lab, and it actually looked like a real research lab (it was extremely similar to university labs I've seen through work, being very similar to ones in my university building, and virtually identical to one I visited in San Diego some years back). Normally there'd just be a bunch of beakers and test tubes and poo poo. Just a surprising attention to detail, and I wouldn't be surprised if they actually visited a lab to prepare for that part.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the main issue with LJ's plot is that it tries to be about an actual societal/political issue, but isn't willing to take any kind of stand. So you end up with the protagonist's position not being particularly convincing.

Judgment benefits from having a plot focused on individuals and their feelings and motivations. People doing bad things for deeply personal reasons. And the protagonist also has a direct personal connection to the plot. That's probably the only way to do a compelling "apolitical" story. But LJ makes the mistake of bringing up an actual societal problem, while being completely unwilling to propose any answers to it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I could never get into Fallout 4, even though I thought I'd be able to enjoy that sort of thing. Something about its setting and writing just did nothing for me, in a similar way to Outer Worlds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BUSH 2112 posted:

the one thing that really irritated me was that they set up this idea that you'd have to choose between Lilith and Mephisto, or Lilith and the Knights Penitent, or maybe both - which would have made sense for setting up the PVP element of the game. instead, both Lilith and Mephisto make some really good points about how you're actually being kind of an idiot for opposing them, and then the writers force you to completely ignore that and do ... whatever. given the choice, i would gladly have sided with Lilith, she's generally a sympathetic character and again, she makes good points about why you're actually just loving Sanctuary over and perpetuating a forever-war by opposing her.

IIRC Neyrelle or Mephisto (forget which) kind of correctly makes the point that Lilith, as a Hatred demon, absolutely can't be trusted to actually care about supporting Sanctuary. Her whole thing is being an expert at manipulating people, and her actual actions mostly consist of going around everywhere and doing Evil Stuff. The implication (that the game neither confirms nor denies, which was actually smart of it IMO) is that Lilith only wants to use Sanctuary to take over Hell, and that allowing her to absorb Mephisto just facilitates this. But Lilith and/or Neyrelle (forget which again lol) make a similar point about Mephisto - he's a Prime Evil, obviously not a trustworthy guy. Lilith is also likely correct about Mephisto, but is just making that argument towards her own ends of "absorbing Mephisto and taking over Hell herself."

So Neyrelle's plan, that you go along with, is to gently caress them both over by sticking Mephisto in the stone and letting the protagonist kill Lilith (going against both their plans). Though Neyrelle also seems kind of dumb and is likely going to get corrupted by Mephisto while she wanders around with his soul stone. It's very dumb that Lorath is like "we should support the wishes of this moron who is basically going off to do "Dark Wanderer 2.0, Mephisto Edition."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

boo boo bear posted:

if angels can fall, demons can ascend. if anyone in fiction deserves a redemption arc it's lillith.

Wrong. It's Mephisto. Everyone is all "Torgal this" and "Torgal that," but the actual "best boy" of 2023 gaming is Mephisto. Extremely hosed up that the protagonist would betray him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

well, updated drivers, started a new game, 15 minutes into loading and hasn't loaded the diving part yet, wonder if there's some weird bug that they'll sort out in the next week or two

edit: okay, completely uninstalling and reinstalling fixed it, hooray

Whew, that's good to hear. Was getting worried, because if it never worked that'd basically be proof that Dave doesn't approve of your wife.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ghost Trick plays very nicely on the Switch. It's colorful visuals look nice on the OLED Switch's screen.

All I remember from when I originally played this game is the twist that the protagonist is a cat

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

E3 should spice things up by mandating that everyone be nude BUT if you get an erection you get kicked out

"But isn't this bigoted against people with penises" - Yeah?? So what?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That bear seems like a kind and gentle lover

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The expression on the bear is very funny to me. I keep almost-laughing when I remember it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Malfeasance tokens

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the P4 stuff - IMO P5 is much worse because the game was made during a time when the gay "jokes" were far less common/accepted. It has fewer of them, but the stuff with the pair of gay men hitting on Ryuji is at least as bad as anything in P4, despite that game coming out in 2016.

Augus posted:

what game is he from

Persona 2 Innocent Sin

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 19:01 on Jul 8, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Why in the heck does it take so many hits to get melee kills (and why aren't most of these people fighting back)?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

you thought right but they can still be fun with the right frame of mind

The secret trick to enjoying Persona games - opiates

Some of my fondest memories are of playing Persona 4 in 2008/2009 while on tramadols

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

Bg3 is in the top 5 selling things on steam right now, I guess sex [with a bear] really does sell

ngl, it does at least make me more curious about what kind of game it's going to be, though not exactly in a way that makes me more likely to buy it

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

uber_stoat posted:

i asked the google robot what bear dicks look like. they are not well hung as it turns out. further research led to an article about two gay bears (not people bears) who would suck each other's dicks all day long.

But are they just small proportionally? Since a bear is much larger than a human, it might have a proportionally smaller dick while still being big for a human.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Buck Wildman posted:

I for one do not plan on loving the bear

What if it surprises you with it, though. Like you romance some other human/elf/whatever character, and then suddenly they turn into a bear and gently caress you

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grey Fox posted:

the bear sex thing is fine, especially when you consider all of the weird gross sex stuff fantasy novel authors do all the time

like, if you're gonna do it, then do it where it's clear that beings involved are capable of communication and consent, which would appear to be the case from that short video clip

You're ignoring an important part. The squirrel is clearly sapient based off of its reaction to the bear sex, so both the bear and his lover are exposing themselves to a third party without their consent.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hatebag posted:

I didn’t gently caress my bear. I didn’t cum on my bear. I didn’t put my dick anywhere near my bear. I’ve never done anything weird with my bears. I promised myself I wasn’t going to make apology videos after last years thing so I’m just trying to be as short and honest with this as possible.

I don't believe you.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Right now I'm going through the FFX remaster, the early part of the game has a much higher cutscene:gameplay ratio than I remember. The voice acting is actually less cringe than I thought the first time, though??? I think knowing the twist makes the stulted delivery of a lot of the cast make more sense. None of them want to actually admit whats going on, in general, but especially around Tidus, who genuinely doesn't know. So they pick their words super carefully so nobody has to admit that they're the delivery crew for a human sacrifice.

FFX voice acting was always very good, especially for the time when it was released.

I would unironically argue that FFX has better English voice acting than nearly any other dubbed Japanese video game I can think of except something like FF16 (where the game was literally made with the English VA in mind). There's issues with awkward pausing, but that's primarily caused by being one of the earliest heavily voice-acted games and is also present in the Japanese version, rather than being related to the actual voice-acting itself. I actually played the remaster on PC a few months ago with the Japanese dub, and was surprised at how accurate the English VAs were - some characters almost sound like the same VA speaking in both English and Japanese. Auron is probably the biggest difference among the main cast, but not in a bad way.

Also, the Tidus laughing scene is good (and is almost the exact same in Japanese). It's genuinely a great scene that communicates things about the characters much better than the writing in most other narrative-driven video games I've played. FFX in general is quite good about characterization through showing vs telling.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

How could anyone *not* realize this person is cheating? The aiming reticle literally instantly sticks to all the enemies that appear. It looks sorta like when I played Umcharted 4 with the automatic lock-on feature recently (I can't play FPSs with a controller), only without even needing to aim down sights.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The horniness for the large Resident Evil vampire lady was always confusing to me and basically reminded me that there's a large variety of tastes and preferences in the world. IMO vampire lady was the only Village character who was actually creepy in a similar way to the family from the previous game. Large lady who eats blood all the time is just not sexy IMO, but it is a creepy concept. She might have big boobs/butt, but they're hosed up undead boobs/butt - gross! The other characters were "kind of funny looking fish man," "lady with kinda on-the-nose Spooky Dolls," "a guy who is just sorta annoying," and "a lady who is obviously evil." Only the large lady pulls off the contrast between "normal" and "gross/violent" that made the characters from the previous game spooky.

(I'm not pretending to not know the character names, I'm just on my phone so I can't easily look them up. I just remember vampire lady is Dim-something)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hatebag posted:

I'm rooting for vampire minsc but there's a tragic backstory where he had to become a vampire to save boo but then boo left afterwards because of the vampirism so we don't have to hear about boo anymore

Isn't Boo some sort of rodent? Maybe it just died of old age? Or maybe Minsc dropped it like with that one groundhog.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Al! posted:

bless you for not remembering that boo is a fwiggin epic space hamster

Maybe this protects him from old age, but I'm not seeing anything that would protect him from being dropped on his head

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SirSamVimes posted:

I've been finally working my way through Bloodborne. Turns out it's a pretty good game

"a good game," he says

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I would not actually play any of the Resident Evil games because they are too spooky (or alternatively dour even when they aren't that spooky, as seems to be the case with most of Village) for me, but I did watch other people playing most of the last two. The one with the creepy family was definitely spookier than the Village.

Creepiest character between both games is probably the mother with all the insects in her. 2nd place goes to Dimitrescu from Village (but not her "daughters," they're just sorta goofy).

Neither reach the spookiness of the Silent Hill games, none of which I have played myself aside from the first portion of Silent Hill 4: The Room (which I once rented and played with two friends right after graduating high school, and we had to turn the lights on because of how spooky it was). I couldn't even bear to watch other people playing that one playable trailer thing (that never actually lead to a game apparently). There's a very simple formula for making games spooky like that (it's a normal person...but something hosed up happened to them, likely somehow sexual in nature!), but that doesn't make it any less effective.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao at the Blizzard-Activision X Fortnite collab rumors.
https://twitter.com/iFireMonkey/status/1681368679554875409?t=VeEgAYUZVLURyTa6ZhOXBg&s=19

How many cod freaks would lose their minds if fortnite popped up in their military shooter

This guy's Twitter account gives me weird vibes, like it's from some completely different culture.

Reminds me of watching Mr. Bean at my Indian friend's house as a kid for some reason.

Maybe that's what Fortnite is - the Mr. Bean of video games

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Please stop fighting! This is a place for friendly chatting about video games.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Sharps posted:

last time I used voice chat I was using an insanely sensitive field recording mic setup so everybody could hear every tiny little sound in my apartment. open mic, chow down on chips, watch everybody freak out lol

One time I was playing War Zone with 3 friends and my mic turned on for some reason (I normally use push to talk) when I was getting super mad about the game running like poo poo*. So it sounded like I just suddenly went "god dammit, loving piece of poo poo." One guy goes "uhh, everything okay there." Very embarrassing.

* this was seemingly addressed when they changed to the new map a while back, which I think also involved changing the engine or something, but before that the game ran like complete poo poo despite my PC being good. Constant stuttering and drops to like 10fps, it was downright unplayable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

skooma512 posted:

MW19 would CTD all the time until I upgraded my processor from a 2011 Sandy Bridge to Ryzen 3600.

It was probably some sort of CPU thing (since it resembles other CPU-related issues I've had, like the one below), though I never figured out what. I think I had a 8600k at the time.

I had similar issues with Persona 5 Strikers on PC recently (though with my current 12th generation intel CPU), but was able to address that using Project Lasso. I don't know what less "savvy" people would do, since it was basically unplayable until I used Project Lasso to disable and then reenable hyperthreading (no idea why this made a difference, but I found it online and it worked perfectly). Before the fix there was constant heavy stuttering, where it would flat-out freeze up for several seconds at a time when doing things like accessing menus. Doing the aforementioned Project Lasso fix instantly made it run perfectly at a smooth 120fps (I use some mod that lets it run at 120, normally it's capped at 60 - the stuttering happened regardless of whether I used the mod though, so it wasn't the cause).