Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Captain Foo posted:

I am unfamiliar with the glacier

PoptartsNinja posted:

Shadowcat B
- Must pass a piloting test to stand carefully (4 base + 4 ice hex - 2 careful stand = 6): rolled 5, fails!
- - Shadowcat B suffers 5 damage in the fall to Left Torso (3/18 armor remaining)! TAC!
- Through-armor critical chance in Left Torso: rolled 12, 3 critical hits sustained!
- - ECM Suite destroyed!
- - LRM-15 Ammo hit! LRM-15 Ammo explodes!
- Shadowcat B suffers 120 damage to Left Torso (0/18 armor, 0/11 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Jump Jet destroyed! 2 Engine hits! 2 Pilot hits! Left Arm blown off!
- - 101 damage vented harmlessly by CASE!
- 1 critical hit transfers to Center Torso!
- - MASC destroyed!
- Must pass a piloting test to avoid pilot damage (4 base + 4 ice hex + 2 avoiding damage = 10): rolled 8, fails! Pilot hit!
- Must pass a 5+ consciousness test: rolled 3, fails!
- Moved in Ice Hex 2022: rolled 6, the ice breaks!
- Shadowcat B suffers 9 damage in the fall to Center Torso (5/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (5/11 structure remaining)! Crit!
- Critical chance in Right Torso: rolled 11, 2 critical hits sustained!
- - LRM-15 Ammo hit! LRM-15 Ammo explodes!
- Shadowcat B suffers 120 damage to Right Torso (0/18 armor, 0/11 structure remaining)! Torso destroyed! Jump Jet destroyed! Active Probe destroyed! Engine destroyed! Pilot hit! Pilot killed! Right Arm blown off!
- - 115 damage vented harmlessly by CASE!
- 1 critical hit transfers to Center Torso!
- - Engine hit!

Rorahusky posted:

Wait, so let me get this chain of events straight.

That pilot just tried to stand up.
Failed.
Fell over.
Critted his own Ammo bins.
Exploded.
Broke the ice.
Fell again.
Critted his own Ammo bins /a second time/.
Exploded.
And then died.

That... is god drat impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As an on and off observer, my personal favorite battle from that thread was Sludge Factory. An utterly brutal slugging match between mainly tank forces.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Pom posted:

Well, whatever that thing was, it's in good enough condition to take home.

Very likely a Clint.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PoptartsNinja posted:

“It’s like that Neo-Animism fad that’s starting to spread in the non-Royal Terran units,” Prodigal interjected. “Name your lance after an animal to channel the strength of that animal, or some nonsense like that. They’re like a wolverine facing down a pack of wolves. Wolves will always kill a wolverine, but the wolverine could injure one so badly that one or more of the wolves may not be able to hunt anymore. How’s everyone’s armor? Mine’s… not great.”

Everything about Clan Jade Falcon clicked into place when I learned that they're canonically direct descendants of the Black Watch and are thus originally a British stereotype about the Scottish. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

biosterous posted:

i made this

Well, that answers the question 'So what inspired the Clans to make the Hellbringer?'

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I was just making a joke about a canon mech famed in-setting for having a wild mishmash of guns. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Olothreutes posted:

Was that the one on the dropship in space where some BA just tore everyone to shreds?

Yeah. First appearance of Elementals.

Bloody Pom posted:

Several, I believe. Though Laager was probably the most spectacular.

I don't think I'd count Laager, since the whole thing was framed as a doomed last stand and the objective was to take as many enemies down with you as possible.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cestus 6X

Dragon, could be a 1N or a 1C.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JackSplater posted:

Never heard of this mech, but I doubt it? 6X has 2xLPL, 2xMPL, and 2xPPC, and only 14 single heat sinks. I'd say it's probably a CPLT-K2, just modified a little bit to replace the MGs with medium lasers. Heat dissipation doesn't match, though. Hm.

A Catapult K2 would be a very rare sight in the Periphery at this time, is my big reservation. The Catapult in general is supposed to be a pretty rare design until 3033 when the Combine starts building more. The Cestus on the other hand was a well known SLDF design until its factory got blown up in the Succession Wars.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

I still say the Stalker looks too much like a walking buttplug, but I appreciate there being a lore explanation.

It just needs the right artist.

One of my favorite looking BattleMechs there is with a good artist at the helm.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse. Could be an Unseen, like the Marauder's evolution from this:

To this:

As I described the Marauder in a fluff piece on discord:

quote:

Most BattleMechs were humanoid. As figures of fear or inspiration, they were recognizably of the human form. They might have one or both arms replaced by guns. Some had shoulder-mounted weapons. But there was something different about the ones with inverted legs that touched an ancient, reptilian part of the human brain, and the Marauder was the worst of them all. A Marauder leans forward, arms reaching out like claws. In motion they're worse, especially if there's a skilled pilot in control. Some distant part of human genetics recalled an age of bird-like reptiles that preyed on small furry things, striding forward on those reverse-jointed legs and reaching out claws to rend and tear. A Marauder in motion is an atavistic terror, some dimly remembered nightmare of humanity's evolutionary past reborn in steel and spitting fire and horrible light.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloody Pom posted:

I swear I've heard this quoted almost verbatim in a Youtube video on the Marauder.

I dunno. I wrote that back in November and goons asked me permission to share it, which I gave.

Or it's possible someone else had the same thought.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 16, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirPhoebos posted:

Finally! A 40-tonner worth having!

*laughs in Pouncer W*

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

Clan names are inherently inferior and should be destroyed.

Fun fact: the Wolfhound IIC debuted before the Wolfhound.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LaSquida posted:

...I thought the only Wolfhound IIC was Phelan Kell's rebuilt Wolfhound Grinner?

Sarna calls it a fully fledged mech design. :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Defiance Industries posted:

The Wolfhound entered production in 3028, and got a write-up in the Wolf's Dragoons SB so I'm not sure where you came to this conclusion from. Not the case in universe or in real life.

Well that will teach me to browse Sarna late at night. It lists its date of introduction as 3028 and 3052 in two different places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Xarn posted:

Shootist sure is a name for battlemech. And apparently it carries a "Deathgiver AC20"?

'Deathgiver' is the brand, it's a regular old AC20.