Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Not sure where else to post about this but figured people here might think this is cool.

There's a YouTube channel called British Cryptids (1974) that makes short films about fictional cryptids that are made in the style of 70's British television programming. They're pretty well made but update infrequently. They just uploaded a new video today as part of a parallel series called "Man's Unknowable World" that I thought was pretty was good.

They're all short watches and have a good spooky vibe to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Insidious: The Red Door is as dumb as you'd expect, be that a pro or con.

I had no idea that Patrick Wilson was directing this.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Wilson gets to ham it up in Insidious 2, it's fun.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gabriel is an unlockable character but he's tricky because all his controls are reversed.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Comfort horror for me is Hammer or other stuff from that era of British horror. If at some point some stuffy British gentlemen are in a drawing room having a serious conversation about ghosts, ghouls, vampires, etc, then I'm having a great time.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Phy posted:

I wish movies still had quizzes at the start

Every movie with a mystery in it should have the equivalent of The Werewolf Break:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipkfNqjncRA

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I like the sound of 18 challenges split up into three different categories. It's pretty straightforward and is a reasonable amount to keep track of.

Really though regardless of the number I think the big thing is announcing them towards the start. That was what I liked best about Spooky Bingo so I'm glad you're planning on keeping that aspect of it going forward even if the format of the challenges is going to be a little different.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

edit: Nevermind someone is doing it. I'll message them about the 6 6 6.

I'm confused isn't the guy who's doing it Basebf555? He started this whole conversation and has been giving his thoughts in this thread already.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I didn't see Hollis' original post but yea I was offered the chance to run the challenge this year and it's a pretty long running tradition now that I've been a part of and I would like to see it continue as long as possible. But I certainly would defer to others who may have a more specific vision for it that I may not be in a position to follow through on.

Thank you for doing it! I've really enjoyed it since I started participating and I'm looking forward to this year!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I don't like that guy or his comics and frankly I don't like the idea of him getting rewarded for them in this way.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

drat, forgot how extremely good City of the Dead is. What a cool loving movie.

The match cut to the cake cutting is great.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

On the subject: Last Voyage of the Demeter has been pulled from UK release indefinitely, since eOne, the distribution company that was putting it out, just got bought out by Lionsgate. Kinda mad because I was gonna see it tomorrow.

The movie took 20 years to get made, it's only appropriate that it run into some kind of additional last minute delay.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

After watching In the Mouth of Madness—what are some of the best executions of the Hobb's End style small sleepy spooky quaint King style town? I've already got Salem's Lot on the list.

Dead & Buried is great for this as is Messiah of Evil.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Aug 12, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got around to In the Mouth of Madness with Sam Neill as I'd never got around to it before. It's a fun movie. I particularly like the exchanges like "I am not fiction!" "I think, therefore you are." it gives the second line a cute double meaning. I also love the wry bits like "What about the people who don't read?" "There's going to be a movie." "A movie... of course..." And let's not forget the ending that became a meme, with Sam watching the entire story playing out as a movie exactly as he experienced it and just allowing himself to give in as he bursts into laughter at the futility of his struggle and just stays there, watching the movie on repeat.

One of the best movie endings in history.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

When I was around 4 or 5 my favorite thing to watch was a VHS of the original King Kong. I liked all kinds of other regular kids stuff too but I definitely continued to have a strong interest in old giant monster movies growing up and borrowed my grandparents' massive VHS camcorder to make my own movies with Godzilla action figures and micro machines.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Martman posted:

I wanted to quote a Tommy Boy joke but unfortunately it's impossible to know whether stuff happened in that movie or Black Sheep

Remember the old saying:

If Dennehy ye see, then Tommy Boy it be.

If Busey's on screen, then Black Sheep you've seen.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Zwabu posted:

Hey, in the original Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory movie, do the kids who disappear from the tour ever reappear or is it ever explained what happened to them?

Willy Wonka off-handedly mentions to Charlie that they're fine towards the end of the movie. He's very trustworthy don't worry about it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

Englund definitely could have and should have been a horror anthology wrap-around host by now. Seems like a no-brainer, he's perfectly for it.

He actually was once! The Freddy's Nightmares TV show was an anthology horror series where Englund as Freddy introduced each episode. I've never seen it and have only heard bad things but I have to imagine he's fun to watch in those bits.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

You know who would be perfect for introducing a horror anthology show?

Tom Waits.

Just him as himself (so, the devil) in some big rusty abandoned building with fire and steam and chains everywhere. He growls out some puns and laughs hysterically. Then we watch people get murdered for an hour.

Now I'm upset that this doesn't exist.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

In a just world we'd have enough horror anthology shows on TV to keep all of the great spooky character actors employed for as long as they'd like.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

What's something that's very spooky, but also a bit slow and melancholy? That just lets you soak in that spooky atmosphere. Ideally pre-90s.

The Roger Corman House of Usher from 1960 is mostly Vincent Price talking about ill omens and inherited family curses on some spooky sets.

Vampyr from 1932 is basically all atmosphere.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Speaking of Bava, Black Sunday is also a great movie if you're looking for good gothic atmosphere. Foggy castles, graveyards, and woods abound.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Whats a 90 minute 80s movie I could watch. You have 1 hour for recommendations otherwise I'll probably end up watching something like Child's Play or I dunno maybe F13 film or something

The Lair of the White Worm (93 min)

Vampire Hunter D (80 min)

Edit:

Nevermind this was actually the correct answer:

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Chopping Mall.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

King Vidiot posted:

I was shocked they managed to get Chevy Chase to do a mini-interview video for the special features, I figured he'd never want to go near that movie again (and also he's kind of a dick, I'm told).

With his reputation it's possible that Chase was just happy to have someone who wanted to hear what he had to say about any subject at all.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Any aliens or supernatural monsters would kill me easily. I know this about myself and accept it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Also, here's some Flannigan for y'all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvuAWVzP6wI

Man I don't like the way this looks at all. It's so visually flat and dull. It's impossible not to be reminded of Corman's Poe films since this show seems to be adapting a lot of the same stories and the comparison does this no favors.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Updated my Spooktober List, with an additional personal challenge, I'm trying to see as many movies from LB's Top 250 Horror list and no more than one movie from any year. 2015 and 11 are current empty and I'm not saying I don't want to watch a ton of Giallo, but it never clicked with me and any chance to dodge the 70s I can get, I'll take. Has anyone seen Despite the Night (15) or Take Shelter (11)? Are they worthy of being on the Top 250 list? (I've seen everything else from those years)

Take Shelter is really good, though I've never really thought of it as a horror movie I could see how it could be considered one.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Just started watching Lair of the White Worm for the first time, knowing only that it takes place in the English countryside and features Hugh Grant, and I am absolutely dying that the movie's first sentence is virtually unintelligible English 'OYYY WOTS ALL THIS THEN' gibberish. Absolutely rules.

I watched this for the first time last year and I'm surprised it doesn't have more of a cult following. It's really fun.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

My library has 10 credits a month via Kanopy and I haven't taken much advantage of it but I plan to use it as much as I can for the October challenge.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Troll 2: Wrath of The Yule Lads

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

A lot of the movies from the early 90's have that weird 80's runoff aesthetic that I think gives them a pretty unique look.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Biff Rockgroin posted:

How do you guys usually decide what you're going to watch for October?

I usually just set up everything I haven't watched in front of my TV and then randomly pick from there.

I tried to specifically plan each movie out one year, but it didn't feel as fun, and I like to have friends over and let them choose so they feel like they're involved.

I use the watchlist on my Letterboxd account exclusively for keeping track of any horror movies that look interesting so that I have a good pool of stuff to choose from in October. Then I just watch whatever sounds good based on how I'm feeling.

I might have some specific stuff I want to try and watch, for example each year I try to do a horror musical as well as watch something from the 50's or earlier, but nothing too firm or rigidly scheduled.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Deadite posted:

I’m doing horror movie trivia tonight and I need a team name that will prove I’m no dilettante

I’m thinking “Tom Atkins’ Whiskey Shakes” but I’m flexible, anyone have a good name I can use?

"Your Trivia Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Answer Key"

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Demons and specifically demonic possession is my absolute least favorite kind of spookadoodle but I need it for the horror challenge, someone rec me a good one that isn't The Pope's Exorcist.

Have you seen Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight? It's not a traditional demonic possession movie in the style of The Exorcist but demons abound and do possess people and overall it rules.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I watched the first episode of 30 Coins today and really liked it. I appreciate a show that gives me a cool monster and a battle priest right from episode one.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Top three popes exorcist moments

pigsorcist shotgun execution
Demon side eye/double pupil gag
Full body blood explosion

The couple of times I'm near certain that Ralph Ineson literally said the word "roar" while making demon sounds.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Oct 5, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Edit: quote is not edit

The only explanation for why I made this mistake is that I was clearly ensorcelled by a witch and/or warlock!

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 5, 2023

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really should not have started paying attention to the continuity of Friday the 13th.

Did you ever think about how they technically take place in an alternate future? There’s a five year time-skip between 1 and 2 ; 2, 3 and 4 are a span of consecutive days ; 5 is actually pretty wonky and theoretically could be anywhere after 4 ; 6 Tommy is a grown-rear end man so it’s been at least 8 years barest minimum. (Likely more) That’s 13* years in the story but the movies come out one per year. So while the movie came out in 1986, inside the movie it’s 1993.

Then 7 loving happens. Bam, opening of the movie we got a young Tina and a calendar on the wall that says October 13. Because of a quirk of the calendar, there are more Friday the 13ths than any other day of the week, but you still only get one in a given month once a decade or so. For reference there is/was/will be a Friday the 13th in October for 1978, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2006, 2017 and 2023.

Absolute earliest, the beginning of 7 takes place in 1995, a whole 6 years after the movie’s release**. And that’s completely ignoring how they built that house and moved in in just two years. But that’s before Tina grows up and we jump forward even further. So really in 7 it’s the mid-2000’s at the earliest, but likely much later.

*Haha
*I never said it was the far future.

The original Universal Mummy films end up doing this too. The last one came out in 1944 but if you do the math on the time jumps that are said to happen between movies it technically takes place in 1997.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Night Creatures is a good time. I've really enjoyed every Hammer movie I've seen. They all have a solid little story, a couple really good actors to anchor it, a couple smoking hot babes, just a little bit of blood and murder. They figured out the formula.

I just watched this for the first time a couple of days ago and agree. It's a fun movie and Cushing gets a lot to do which is always a good thing.