Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

shoeberto posted:

I never saw it but wasn't 1 Hour Photo kinda sold like that?

It's been many years since I saw it, but yeah, it skirts closer to horror than thriller, I think (mainly cause it's from the 'bad guy's' perspective). Very tense, though the ending isn't really mean enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

CelticPredator posted:

New short film! Hopefully you dig it. It’s a bit ambitious in places but idk. It was fun to make and it cost 200 bucks.

Soon it’ll be feature timehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BShLFrbXd8… 😈😈😈

How much of the budget was beer? :grin:

Holy poo poo, that was great. The alien in the house was super creepy and I loved the goopy stuff. Great finale and I appreciate dodging the cliché "drop my cup from shock so it shatters on the ground" shot.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

I feel like Patrick Wilson's sideburns should be a unlockable.

When you hit him enough, they start flashing, then they fall off, and he does double damage, but takes double damage as well.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 10, 2023

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Opopanax posted:

Ok, guv’ner! Spook yah doodles?

Spook ya dad!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I know it's a stretch, but The Neverending Story movies are decent "horror" films for young kids. Atreyu's horse in the swamp haunted me as a kid... :ohdear:

Drunkboxer posted:

Well that’s not scary really, just sad as hell

Neverending Story is kind of existential horror. The Rock Biter surrendering to the Nothing because he failed to save his friends. The Gmork wanting to prevent anyone from stopping the Nothing because he wants it to swallow up everything including him.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Late to the party, but yeah: Evil Dead Rise, very cool & fun & mean. Alyssa Sutherland rocks and I wanna marry her. Loved how they used the intro segment as almost a reverse post credits scene.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The Descent has one of the best horror movie screams ever, EEEEEAAAARRGH*gurgle*

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
My older brother loooved both Weekend At Bernie's movies. I haven't seen them for like 30 years, but sometimes a piece of dialogue will still pop up in my head.

"Hey, don't you point at me, Charles!"
"Point-point-point-point-point-point-point-POINT!"

I think in 2, a woman actually has sex with Bernie's dead body.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That happens in 1, actually. I watched it for the first time yesterday and...well, it kinda sucks. It has a premise that has lasted and that's it. Bernie doesn't even die until an hour in and the entire thing has no energy at all. It feels like it should be a screwball comedy but the funniest part of the movie is when the end credits hit and you realize that the Costume Supervisor was named Dick Butz.

Holy poo poo, lol, I certainly did not remember that.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Shrecknet posted:

I like how it's all these monsters and supernatural creatures and then just... "thief." like :shrug:

WHERE? WHERE!?

Jesus, warn me when you're going to use the "T" word! :cry:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

That trailer thinks it's being so cute with teasing the theme, but it's like someone trying to hide an entire horse behind their back.

A dead horse.

In the trailer thread, kiimo, who works on the campaign for the movie, mentioned this:

kiimo posted:

Marketing. We can’t even use the color purple. The fact that we got tubular bells was a miracle

The studio making a new Exorcist sequel wants the trailer to remind you as little about the 70s movie as possible because that makes sense in some cokebrain's coke brain.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
They purposely operated on him wrong, as a joke.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

it’s funny cuz i would say the worst bits of It: Chapter 2 are the ones flashing back to the hideously cgi deaged kids

lol they did that? What, like smooth out their wrinkles and make their eyes bigger?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

This is the first time I've seen the term 'requel' and googling it is not making it super clear what it gets used for. Like, a sequel set in the same universe, but with a new cast, but some of the old characters can still appear?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
We tried watching GorillaGhostbusters with my just-turned-11-today nephew over the weekend. He was tensing up at the library ghost, and after Dana found an evil dimension in the fridge, he asked if we could watch something else :shobon:

I can't blame him, I fondly remember watching it repeatedly with my best friend when I was about his age, but still watching that library ghost through half-closed eyes.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Jedit posted:

I was a year younger than your nephew when Ghostbusters came out, and will attest that the library ghost put the shitters up me. The cabbie was also pretty disturbing. The rest was quite mild, though.

Yeah, I kinda wish we'd tried sticking with it, but it was his parents' call. Maybe he'd have found Zuul attacking Dana quite scary, but the scene where they catch Slimer is great fun, the Zuul chasing Lewis isn't so bad cause he's a funny character, and surely he'd have loved the giant marshmallow man. Oh well, maybe some other time.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

shoeberto posted:

Never forget the Terminator 2 VHS promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9frKVo6-1M

lol, Robert Patrick is putting the work in.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Martman posted:

That does sound important. Have any sites to show us?

:mmmsmug:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I really enjoyed Cobweb, it's hard not to like Antony Starr and Lizzy Caplan as psycho parents, but I feel like it went on too long, even though it's under the 90 minute mark.

I appreciate a good "you fool, I was holding them back" type of story, but it really should've ended once Peter realized his sister was a monster kept locked away for good reason. The extended scene of her taking out the very persistent bullies felt overlong, I feel the contortionist with long hair has reeeaaally been overdone for horror movies, the reveal that she had a jack-o-lantern face made me laugh, and the whole thing with Miss Devine coming back to save him felt very much like this movie tried for a more mean-spirited Roald Dahl.

Speaking of which, it made me laugh pretty hard that the old teacher was called Miss Bitler, and she was being replaced by Miss Devine (boioioing).

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Xiahou Dun posted:

And just to get it out of the way : Tony god drat Todd is in the remake.

TONY TODD

HIS NAME IS ALMOST DEATH IN GERMAN

Tony Death, Tony.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

flashy_mcflash posted:

Hubs hiding his face and being triggered by boobs in the movie about the most devastating weapon in history. That's enough internet for me tonight.

Please refer to the *hmmms* only as *hmmms*, it's triggering my wife and I'm having to put my head on her shoulder a lot

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hell yes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I keep hearing that Olivia Rodrigo song Vampire on the radio and thinking she sings "bloodsucker, vein fucker"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's not too like, 90s Tarantino derivative is it? Heard people describe it as an "edgy" film. I always dig a solid Kiefer role though, he's so fun in Phone Booth and Dark City.

That's on my to watch list probably next...been just going through a lot of poo poo on Tubi and that's on there too. Night of the Comet, Intruder (almost wish it had more laughs), Horror in the High Desert 2 (wasn't really high on the first one like a lot of people but I liked this one better, almost the feeling of simulating a Discovery true crime show and hey that's less heinous than watching them), Skyman, Road Games, Judgment Night (wouldve been so much higher on this if the murderous antagonist were anyone but dennis leary tbh)...

I think my sister bought in on VHS when we were teens, the cover referenced Natural Born Killers (because Oliver Stone was a producer). It does have that same kind of exaggerated reality, just without the hallucinatory effects. Didn't immediately click for me until I realized they were doing Little Red Riding Hood, On Crack!

But it is a lot of fun once you realize it's just an outrageous movie. Not just Witherspoon and Sutherland, but also a young Brittany Murphy and Brooke Shields!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Nikumatic posted:

Cobweb was extremely silly! My partner nailed it when they said that it felt like a horror film made for young children that had the violence and atmosphere amped up to be a film for adults.

Absolutely, it feels like Matilda with gore.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Threw on the Pope's Exorcist. I'm already loving Russel Crowe getting his rear end chewed out by a council of superiors (or really just one unreasonably young guy).

"You're a loose confessional, Amorth! The big man upstairs won't stand for any more of these lone wolf exorcisms! I've got the Pope so far up my rear end, you'd think I was back to being an altar boy! Now I want your crucifix, and I want your bible! And this time, take out the bookmark!"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Forgive me father for I have sinned.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

davidspackage posted:

Threw on the Pope's Exorcist. I'm already loving Russel Crowe getting his rear end chewed out by a council of superiors (or really just one unreasonably young guy).

Trip report: fun, though I'm a little saddened it treats the Exorcist as the blueprint for how a possession horror movie should go, as do many other exorcism movies.

Then it turns into a full on Stephen Sommers movie in the final act. Not bad.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It has a lot of good laughs. I don't know if I was supposed to laugh at the young priestimmediately trying to choke out the boy for ratting him out about his girlfriend, but I sure did laugh.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo

I'm still working through season 2, but I love that they keep bringing Sawa back in different roles.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I was watching Smile and it occurred to me that I'd had it mixed up in my head the 2018 Truth or Dare, so I watched that next. Whaaat a piece of poo poo. Terrible effects (the main character even calls attention to it by saying "it was like a snapchat filter!" after facing a bunch of rictus grin people), boring, dull characters, lame ending.

Quite liked Smile though. I read people complain about its jumpscares, but they were so telegraphed I didn't mind them. Ending's wild and I loved the creepy soundtrack.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

Asking for a friend, of course

How is Dan Aykroyd?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Origami Dali posted:

The military base setting is really what kills 3. Such a drab environment full of assholes. The amusement park at the end is super cool, but it's too little too late. Should've set the whole movie there and just done a Ghoulies 2 remake with Chucky.

This nails it for me. 3 is still a fine movie to watch, but the restrictiveness of the setting holds it back.

I saw the later ones completely out of order, but I really liked the addition of Fiona Dourif to the franchise.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hollismason posted:

LMAO at the main lead lady Dracula is after in Dracula 2000 works at a Virgin Megastore.

Take a shot every time a Virgin logo is on screen (the store, t-shirts, vans, billboards), you won't make it through the movie.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

feedmyleg posted:

I watched it a couple years for the first time. I'm still shocked it's so underseen and underrated. It definitely belongs up there next to The Fly and The Thing in the 80s horror remake pantheon. It feels practically forgotten outside of this thread, though.

Absolutely agreed.

I remembered to pick Chucky season 2 back up with the announcement of the 3rd season. I got a little out of it halfway through, but christ, the joy and pleasure of making this show just explodes off the screen. It's so absolutely silly and ridiculous and fun.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

May I interest you in a home invasion-ish movie with a twist?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXK4_ZcyrMk

Yes yes yes

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hope Brad Dourif makes a physical appearance on the Chucky tv show once.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh yeah, I didn't really mean as Ray. Like Devon Sawa, he could just show up as a completely different character, maybe a single episode where he plays a kindly figure who gets brutally killed.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

King Vidiot posted:

They could have Brad Dourif play himself and get possessed by Chucky, gently caress it let's get even dumber and more meta!

Love this idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I am forever greatful to this thread for taking me into the lair of the White Worm.