Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Pirate Jet posted:

Can't find an official source on this but there's buzz going around Letterboxd that Late Night with the Devil features extensive use of AI-generated artwork.

https://letterboxd.com/da94/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

https://letterboxd.com/myxomavirus/film/late-night-with-the-devil/

It's not extensive but everybody gets used to it. I have.

I'm a graphic designer and illustrator by trade and can tell you first hand that this ship has sailed and my skills have (mostly) been rendered obsolete. It's been gradual but happening for a good while and dates back to clip art, online templates, stock photography and..well, name it. Now it's AI. There's nothing to be done about it and people may as well get used to it.

I've found myself working in a poker room of late because it:

- pays better
- has better benefits
- is actually far less work than designing and producing a full vehicle wrap, banner or even a yard sign
- Reduces my commute and gas consumption by 3/4
- nobody gives a poo poo about good art or design (look around), let alone wants to pay for it

The last few places I worked at that produced graphics treated it like fast food. 15 minutes "design time" and everything else was supposedly billable. Most of the poo poo I cranked out was done on someone's phone by their niece or nephew who dreams of being a graphic designer and all I did was make it printable.

Art is not dead but the way it's produced and generated is. Like most things, it's left to automation and something resembling an assembly line; or something close at least. I'm not great all the time but I AM good and capable of working within the soulless confines of commercial art. I've done so most of my life and "sold out" a long time ago, so to speak, since I need to get paid at the one thing I'm good at but my particular ship has sailed.

Now I get paid to watch people gamble and dry hump what's left of the American Dream. Thinking about starting an A/T thread about it because I actually learn a lot about human psychology and I think it gives me a certain lens into certain things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

brawleh posted:

The issue with “AI” art isn’t one of automation, it’s theft of labor. It’s algorithms trained on stolen work without consent and compensation for said labor.

So there’s a particular perversity to it where a smaller indie production utilizes it alongside notions to support this small independent artist/production or a new original ideas outside the Hollywood production trappings or whatever, when ya know AI art is the complete antithesis of this.

Also, is the Alien thread gone or am i just blind?

There are two:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883563&pagenumber=1

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728298&pagenumber=1

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The thing with Carpenter, for me, is not that all of his films are spectacular or anything but his framing, lighting, sound, music and camera work are just so God damned good most of the time.

The original Halloween is honestly kind of slow and has a lot of really bad acting but it has so many memorable shots and creative use of the camera that I love it every time I watch it. And dude made it on a shoestring budget. There's a visceral and tactile element that Carpenter brings to things that are hard to entirely define, so much so that it papers over a lot of the shortcomings and weaknesses in his films that might easily be ruined by a lesser director. You're IN the scene, no matter how silly it is. You can smell it, know the temperature outside, feel the weather, what time of day or night is, etc.

Totally.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

The Fog was one I didn't love the first time and then I caught it on a stream somewhere and did a total about face and fell in love with it.

The whole movie is a vibe. Seaside town horror just does it for me in the last ten or so years.

I disliked it the first time I saw it and still do. It has all of Carpenter's usual touches but they're not enough to make up for the fact that nothing really loving happens.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I'm honestly hard pressed to remember the last time a movie genuinely scared the living poo poo out of me. Could just be me getting old or something. I've enjoyed tons of horror films over the last decade or two but still can't come up with a terrifying recommendation when I'm discussing stuff I've seen with other horror fans.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Horror movies aren’t scary to me they’re just cool. So I always find that criticism pretty useless honestly

Fair enough. Probably I just scared easier as a kid so I remember that feeling. I didn't mean to offer "useless criticism" or anything, just miss those visceral scares is all.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Somebody brought up the topic of movies that scared us when we were little and I thought of a few:

- A TV movie called Bad Ronald about a kid that commits a crime and is walled up in a secret room in the house by his mother who's trying to hide him from the police. She dies but he's still stuck in there and a new family moves in. Hijinks ensue. Really creeped me out.

- Prophecy, a monster movie about a mutated bear. Not "so bad it's good" but scary enough to freak out a 10 year old.

- Phantom of the Paradise was on TV one night when I was quite young and the loving record press accident and hosed up eyeball was enough to give me nightmares. Saw it decades later and was able to pick up the campy style but still able to realize how it might rattle a child.

Honestly, I'd recommend all three of these movies. PotP is loving fantastic, Bad Ronald is eerie and Prophecy is just a goofy monster film but has some cool poo poo in it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

I had to pirate this a few years ago because I remembered it in a fever dream and couldn't remember if it existed or not haha.

For about a month, I kept looking around our apartment trying to find hidden peepholes and poo poo and every odd sound I heard I thought was some weirdo hiding out in a secret room somewhere.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i've been curious about Bad Ronald for a while because it's one of the few other movies starring the kid who plays opposite Jodie Foster in The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane (great, creepy movie)

Found a link for it

https://www.bitchute.com/video/Q9fZFSfHmMF0/

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Holy poo poo. Dabney Coleman is in this movie.

Re-watching this for the first time in forever and, while it's kind of not great, I can see why I liked it and I think there's enough here to make decent remake if you punched up the writing and acting a little.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Medullah posted:

I just finished it and I loved it. I'm a big fan of reading up on that era and things like Michelle Remembers, and I love James Randi so it's like it was tuned for my brain specifically.

Same. There's a good documentary about him called An Honest Liar that you should check out if you haven't seen it.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Opopanax posted:

I think Assault is the only Carpenter I haven’t seen, but it never seems to be streaming anywhere

Here you go. Free with ads but if you have an ad blocker you're good

https://tubitv.com/movies/283631/assault-on-precinct-13

There's a ton of cool, free poo poo on that site actually.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

Tubi loving rocks. I watched a bunch of found footage stuff this week because of it lol.

I honest to God thought/think they have a better overall selection than Netflix and Prime once I started poking around.

Also, yes on the apes trilogy. Taken as a whole, they're better than the originals, although nothing tops Heston PotA

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 20, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

It absolutely does

There's a thread I contribute to that revolves around movie goons posting classic movies that they've never seen. It doesn't have a lot of activity but it's fun and has gotten me to watch several really good films that I've slept on or somehow missed over the years.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3311444

The tubi catalog is really great for finding selections in the "classic" and "Oscar winners" category for poo poo I just never got around to.

Also, I browsed the horror category yesterday and the selection is pretty loving good.

Time to watch Re-Animator and Day of the Dead again for the first time in 15 or 20 years

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I would absolutely pay to see fewer ads on Tubi, I love their selection but it completely kills any tension in a film to cut to a bright, loud insurance ad in the middle of a scene

True, but that's where that poo poo starts.

Netflix and Prime have already started loving with us by making us pay AGAIN for no ads, even though all of us already signed up for the service based upon that promise/offer. I believe MAX is gonna start that poo poo again too. I think that's the business model now: NO ADS!!! and then, once they have a dedicated user base, suddenly the shakedown fuckery starts. You Tube recently started flagging people with ad blockers and it loving sucks. That, along with what Prime did really grinds my gears because God knows Bezos needs another $24 a year from me.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

And yeah with all the paid services adding tiers and restrictions and squeezing people, I'm fine with an actually good free service with ads, I just mute that poo poo and smoke a bowl or do some cleaning.

sit down and actually watch these ape movies. They're not conveniently placed together in any given streaming app I don't think (like the times I decided to run through all of Final Destination for example) but gently caress it I'll figure it out :filez:

Ok, here's your assignment. Queue up the ape movies, clean the dishes, smoke a bowl then chill and watch apes.

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ublock Origin, my friend

Flags it for me and gives me poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I just think that movies can be a lot of fun while also having something, even something minor, to say. It's what makes movies so exciting for me, especially horror. Sorry for upsetting you.

Sitting here now trying to really think about the horror movies that had The Most to Say, which is an interesting subject. Agree that it's a fine line and a delicate balance between subtlety, hamfistedness, cleverness, symbolism, metaphors...

So very hard to get right in horror (and also comedy). I think that's why so few movies in those genres win Oscars and high critical acclaim. What's funny or scary is just so very subjective and what scares one person makes another one laugh. What makes one person laugh, another finds stupid. But everyone knows what drama is.

First horror movies off the top of my head that really fit the bill are The Shining and Night of the Living Dead/DAwn of the Dead but even those seem like film 101/cliches even as I write it. I love Halloween but...is it saying anything beyond the surface level idea of women being punished for sex? I don't think so. It's just got great style.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers maybe? Is THey Live a horror movie? I'm just spitballing here while I make dinner so cut me some slack in advance.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's Freddy Kreuger. It was always Freddy. Also we needed a FREDDY ON THE INTERNET movie. It dont have to make sense. I mourn the many Freddy's Dead rear end films we never got.

That's actually not the stupidest idea I ever heard. Astronauts on a spaceship sure as poo poo still gotta sleep.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I believe the reason horror doesn't get big accolades is it's too good of a genre for those awards. Horror is beneath them.

True. What was the last horror movie to really make some noise at the Oscars? Was it Silence of the Lambs? Pans Labyrinth I guess?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone who loves horror should definitely play Alien Isolation. It's one of the scariest games I've ever played

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I'm dying to see Infested, saving it for the May challenge. Love a good creature feature.

Same, and I even like a lot of really schlocky ones like Prophecy (1979), an all time guilty pleasure. Trying to think of my overall faves. Let's see.

JAWS, The Thing, Alien(s)...I liked Cujo. Several Godzilla movies but Shin Godzilla in particular. King Kong (original, 1976 and the peter Jackson one), Jurassic Park, Arachnophobia...hm..

Does The Fly count?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

You need to watch Isolation

Yeah...I watched the trailer and some review videos and it looks super hosed up. Right up my alley.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Did you ever listen to uhh KNIFEPOINT HORROR?

Did you ever listen to uhh KNIFEPOINT HORROR?

On WEED?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Do we even have a general Alien thread anymore? Was talking about Prometheus + Covenant with some friends and it struck me how an aspect of those two movies I never see discussed is how it presents having faith as the single worst possible choice you can make with your life.

There's 2 of them.

SciFi-WiFi: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3728298&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

GBS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883563

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

Have you seen his remake of The Fly already?

Fake edit: Beaten, so I will instead say go for The Dead Zone,

Wild. I love Walken, King and this movie but somehow never Cronenberg directed it

mikeycp posted:

Crash licks rear end

E: kicks, but I'm leaving it

Sandra Bullock account spotted

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 7, 2024

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

It was a Demolition Man joke

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

None of the Jaws sequels are any good. Three and four are worth watching if you're into "so bad they're good" movies, especially four.

JonathonSpectre posted:

My favorite thing in the Jaws movies is in Jaws: The Revenge when the shark levitates out of the water on its tail and then roars.

The shark loving roars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsdHlKMvcwg

@ 45 seconds

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

one of the jaws sequels explains that the reason the shark is out to kill brodie's family is because of a voodoo curse lol

That's actually from the novelization

Baron von Eevl posted:

The dead shark roars at the end of the first Jaws.

FUN FACT: Spielberg put that as an homage to the first film he ever directed; made for TV movie starring Dennis Weaver called Duel. SO it's actually the sound of a big 18 wheel truck.

And not that I mention it, Duel is pretty great. Not really horror though I guess

The ending (spoilers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PunLPMBpxGc

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think that sound was actually from a dinosaur movie he watched as a kid.

I've heard that too but I can't confirm it. Regardless, I DO know it's the same sound effect in any case.

<<<<<----- I love JAWS

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Class3KillStorm posted:

I have no idea why they changed the ending for JtR at some point. Sure, it was slow and stupid looking, but that's true of everything about the movie - if you've stayed to the ending while watching it, you're pretty much bought in at that point, so why bother?

test audiences didn't like that the Mario Van Peebles character died.

In a stupid movie with a lot of stupid poo poo, I think my fave part was Micahel Caine being pulled out of the water onto the boat with a bone dry shirt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZkJ3Zkaes

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fans of bad movies should definitely watch Jaws 3 and 4. I suspect there's a lot of crossover with fans of this thread and poo poo like MST and We Hate Movies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

80's recommendations for me:

Videodrome, Reanimator and a surprising amount of good King adaptations (Christine, The Shining, Cujo, The Dead Zone)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

My partner showing me Get Out and Phantom of the Paradise, followed by us watching Perfect Blue and playing Deadly Premonition a few years later were a few of the dominos that made me realize the very same.

Phantom of the Paradise is so loving great. A crying shame it's not more well known. When I have time, I'll post the mask/costume I made for Halloween a few years back.