Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

TheMopeSquad posted:

It made Phantasm V look better by comparison.

Phantasm V is the second best Phantasm movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

There's probably a better way to phrase this, but it's one of the more "realistic" depictions of what endless life would actually do to a person. Sure it would be all fun an games at first, but after watching your 10th wife grow old and die before your eyes at what point would you just stop making human connections or valuing others at all?

This is a big part of the plot of Highlander. Ramirez warns Macleod against becoming too attached to mortals, the Kurgan is evil because he has no attachment to them, but ultimately they're both wrong as life matters even if - or maybe because - it's transitory.

One of the German producers described Highlander as "not an action movie. It is a love story with sword fights", and that's actually really on point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there some deep lore reason for why the Nostromo has a wet-chain tunnel with potable (?!?) water just falling on some concrete from a great height?

It's an equipment maintenance room, presumably for times when the Nostromo is carrying machinery that needs to be deployed rather than being used as a tug for a space refinery.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

:spooky:OCTOBER CHALLENGE ANNOUNCEMENT :spooky:

One entry for just watching 31 movies, and then one entry for completing a certain # of challenges(maybe one entry per 10 challenges completed?)

Question: Do I get additional entries if I follow you? I better had. It's only in the spirit of the contest if you have a mysterious and threatening stalker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

Yep, the challenges will absolutely be posted on day 1 when the thread goes up. I haven't looked at the calendar to figure out exactly what day that will be yet, but it won't be a situation where the challenges are posted in a trickle over the course of the month. The majority has made it clear over the years that they like to know the challenges up front so they can plan things out.

October 1st is a Sunday, so putting it up around September 29th/30th sounds reasonable for fitting it around your personal workload.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Naked Man Punch posted:

I’m happy to share some of the categories here if it helps get ideas flowing. For example, one we have is “Bright Lights, Big Kills,” which can be: movie must take place in daytime, or movie with A list actors, or take place in a major city.

So, Return of the Killer Tomatoes then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Oh my, oh my, oh my.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redwoodcreekfilms/the-show-1927-new-4k-restoration-and-limited-blu-ray

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Phy posted:

This is the only one I have still rattling through my head months after watching it

Well, that and "OH MY GOD THAT'S SOME FUNKY poo poo" from the Event Horizon credits, but that wasn't made for the movie, it was just a really apropos sample

(fe: gently caress me I never looked it up until right now but that one's by the Prodigy?! Sampling the Beastie Boys?!?!)

Not even the best part of the Event Horizon OST, which was Michael Kamen teaming up with EDM legends Orbital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWQA_Xedj8

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Wow, that looks genuinely incredible in 4k.

Yeah. I've been looking up the company to check if they're legit before committing €50 to a restoration project and I'm seriously pissed that I only just found them because they don't do retail - their Blus are made to demand only and there's only a few hundred of each. They've delivered on projects like a revised cut of Haxan, a centenary edition of Warning Shadows and an early Russian survival horror movie called By the Law. They're out €250, but I'm out five really interesting movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

heard u like girls posted:

Leading me to discover an actor known at the time for playing over the top villains called...

TOD SLAUGHTER

You only just heard of Tod Slaughter? He was a stage actor primarily, but if he hadn't been he would have been the Vincent Price of his day.

It wasn't his real name, of course. His real name was Norman.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I love Highlander 2. It's so stupid that it rules.

The only good bit of Highlander 2 is Sean Connery's first scene. Highlander 3 was better, for Christ's sake. At least that had one or two decent sword fights and Mario van Peebles eating a condom.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Medullah posted:

Halloween Ends was not a movie I enjoyed but I had to give them credit for swinging for the fences. Of course then they messed it up by tacking on the final battle. I think I would have actually given it a positive review if it just had the balls to stick with the risky premise.

The problem with Kills and Ends is that Kills felt like a climax and Ends felt like the middle movie. Reverse them so you have Michael being apparently dead until Corey finds him and resurrects the evil. Then bring in the Survivors Club to go hunt Michael down, think they've got him but get wasted, and have the end of Ends as the third act.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Halloween 3
Halloween 2018
Halloween 78

I hope all your movies go direct to video. :reject:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zwabu posted:

What are the best or most iconic jump scares?

Jaws - Ben Gardener’s boat

Exorcist III - You Know The One

What else you got?

Prince of Darkness. You also know the one.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I don’t like saw but I remember most of the main plot. I get kinda lost on the individuals who get saw’d and I don’t t remember the 6th one with the healthcare stuff

Alexa, summarise in 100 words or less why the Saw franchise is poo poo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

shoeberto posted:

Do we count David Lynch as horror? I just sort of have his stuff bucketed in its own genre-less tier.

Usul, we have takes the like of which God has never seen.

(Seriously: Eraserhead is absolutely horror, as are most of his short films. Nearly all his films have elements of horror or grand guignol. And if there's anything out there more nightmarish than Cooking Quinoa With David Lynch, I don't want to know about it.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

sorry but "the bastard son of a hundred maniacs" is one of the best descriptors in horror history

It is, but it wasn't meant to be taken literally any more than saying (for example) Prometheus is the lovechild of the Alien franchise and Chariots of the Gods. It takes a special kind of idiot to decide that this means Erich von Daniken impregnated Dan O'Bannon.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

weekly font posted:

Alien Resurrection over 3 if only cause the room of failed Ripleys is a scene that has actually stayed with me

A lot of what was attempted in Alien Resurrection was interesting, but I liked it a lot more in 1997 than I do today. Also it was a dry run for Firefly and that show was as dogshit as its creator.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

davidspackage posted:

We tried watching GorillaGhostbusters with my just-turned-11-today nephew over the weekend. He was tensing up at the library ghost, and after Dana found an evil dimension in the fridge, he asked if we could watch something else :shobon:

I can't blame him, I fondly remember watching it repeatedly with my best friend when I was about his age, but still watching that library ghost through half-closed eyes.

I was a year younger than your nephew when Ghostbusters came out, and will attest that the library ghost put the shitters up me. The cabbie was also pretty disturbing. The rest was quite mild, though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

One of the things about Ghostbusters that is somewhat forgotten now almost 40(!) years later, when it came out home video was really just getting started. When the VHS was released they charged $80 for it, and this was before big rental chains like Blockbuster were prevalent(the first Blockbuster opened in 1985, the same year as the Ghostbusters VHS).

Chain rentals, but there were still stores that rented videos. When I was 9 our local Asian cornershop had a video rental section upstairs. In hindsight it must have had no more than 300 tapes, but in the early 80s it was like walking into the Library of Alexandria, at least if the Library of Alexandria stocked a copy of Xtro.

What you have to remember is that in those days VHS players were much more expensive and scarce - like M Sinistrari says, they were a luxury item instead of something that was in every home. It was also presumed that no home viewer would ever want to watch a movie enough times to justify actually buying a tape. So the primary market for home video sales was commercial enterprises, which meant the potential sale volume was much smaller as one tape would be used by dozens of owners. This jacked up the cost of manufacture on every level, which is why movies on tape cost $80 each.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Best horror movies where the vast majority of the film takes place in one room, go.

My vote for Fermat's Room. Consolation prize goes to 1408.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i mean it’s probably top 3

Killer Joe isn't even top 5 Friedkin. That's TLADILA, Cruising, The Exorcist, Sorcerer and The French Connection.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Cruising is real problematic film. I mean I like it but its got some issues.

I'm not sure how you can have a problem with Cruising but not with Killer Joe. They're both based around bastard cops, but at least in Cruising nobody uses sex with their own sister as collateral.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

I want to be excited for Demeter but it just looks a little too Hollywood and a little too polished

Try and be more positive. Don't be a Nosferatu - be a Yesferatu!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I backed The Show. Now to wait.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After seeing the trailer for The Dive, I wonder: does that particular subgenre have a name? Stuff like that, 127 Hours, Fall, The Shallows etc. Cuz I put forward "situation horror".

I've seen it called survival horror.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Well yeah, but good crap or bad crap?

Meg 2 was 0% fresh on the Tomatometer after the first batch of reviews. It's now up to 28%, but pretty much every "fresh" review is of the form "It's stupid poo poo, but [what did you expect/it's great if you like poo poo movies/so was the original]".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Something Wicked This Way Comes?

Killer Klowns from Outer Space sort of counts too

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Try 1932. That's exactly how they did Fredric March's Jekyll into Hyde transformation.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

The art style takes me back to the 80s coverboxes and the old Leisure/Zebra publishing horror paperbacks.

It's literally the hand from the poster for House (the good one with William Katt).

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every movie set in the 80s and 90s always has nothing but bangers playing on the radio, on people’s headphones etc. It’s a small detail but kinda drives me mad.

Something that irked me greatly was that although it wasn't set in the 1980s like the comics were, The Sandman didn't have a brief scene with Standard White Jesus playing at the convention disco. It was a brilliant piece of subtle humour and characterisation. Timbuk3 were briefly famous in the late 80s for their club hit The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades), but in addition to its lyrics about death Standard White Jesus is a much slower song with low energy. That the convention guests are raving to it is a tell that they're just pretending to be normal - someone said there should be a disco at the convention because that's what normal people do, and they should play Timbuk3 because Timbuk3 are popular right now, but they don't understand why these things are done. Rose being completely oblivious to the fact is hilarious if you know the song, too. It would be like trying to breakdance to Bauhaus.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

How did they manage to gently caress up using a pay phone?

Depends where you are. Some payphones required you to put the money in before dialing, others only had you do it after the call was answered.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Kentucky Fried Movie has some bits that do not hold up so great in 2023 but A Fistful of Yen is the greatest movie parody of all time imo.

Did your copy not come equipped with Big Jim Slade, then?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Interesting news: Scottish indie horror outfit Hex Studios is reviving Amicus with plans to release one movie a year under the banner. The first new Amicus movie since 1977 will be a portmanteau movie called In The Grip of Terror and is using story material from the original studio archives. Production begins next month.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

I vaguely remember other times in the past where there was going to be a revival of Hammer/Tigon/Amicus, but something always happens and it ends up not panning out. I wish Hex well in possibly pulling this off.

They've at least done movies that were released and worked with people you've heard of. Kids Vs Monsters, dire as it apparently is, starred Malcolm McDowell, Keith David and Lance Henriksen and had monster effects by Gillis and Woodruff. Apparently they've done shorts with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Channing Tatum, although that reads as being a little bit name-droppy for a small indie house in Fife that shoots locally on a typical budget of £200-400k.

Still, I'm quietly confident that they'll produce something. Whether or not it will be good is another matter.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Hollismason posted:

Its thread law that you have to watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre today.

Yeah? Well I'm a criminal and I don't obey rules.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I wish game developers would get over it and make a slasher game where I’m the slasher and I just murder ncps in creative ways instead of this multiplayer crap

Splatterhouse, sort of.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Benito Cereno posted:

Funny you should mention it, Severin *just* announced a box set of Cushing rarities including those surviving episodes

https://severinfilms.com/products/cushing-curiosities

A movie directed by the Boulting brothers, starring Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence and Spike Milligan?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

M_Sinistrari posted:

This had me thinking. We've all come across movies where the book it was based on was better, but what about the inverse where the book's so awful you're amazed they pulled out a decent/good film out of it?

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is one of the worst books I've ever had the misfortune to read, but they made an OK movie out of it.

Beyond that I don't tend to read awful books. First Blood was an OK book and David Morrell isn't precious about it, but the movie was better. The Warriors and Full Metal Jacket also transcend the source material.

I wish they'd release the real full cut of The Warriors. Walter Hill's "director's cut" is just the theatrical cut with the opening VO restored and some lovely cartoony transitions added. It doesn't have the additional character building scenes at the start, and the loss of the scene between Cleon and his girlfriend is particularly sharp as it adds a lot of weight to his death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Rampage was also a fighting game where you played as giant apes and dinosaurs

Rampage was only nominally a fighting game. You could punch other players if you wanted, but mostly it was punching buildings and eating soldiers.