Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I never saw it but wasn't 1 Hour Photo kinda sold like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Them doing anything together again would be great. Not too high on Solo Joel

im. ....mr solo jolo, oh oh oh, oh oh

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Bedtime Stories has some eps that sort of count as a stab at horror. They're really loving weird.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

david_a posted:

Not my idea, but Jim Henson’s Creature Shop working on a kaiju movie would have been amazing. They could have pulled off some insane giant puppet thing for Godzilla to fight

Edit: for that matter, them making any large monster in a horror movie would have been amazing too. Thinking of something like the giant thing at the end of Species II

It's not much of a stretch to imagine The Dark Crystal or Labyrinth going much darker and scarier, they already had pretty great atmospheres.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Paranorman was shockingly good. I watched it randomly at a drive-in double feature with zero expectations. I'm surprised it's not more of a cult classic these days.

I don't know if they hold up, but Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark were some of my spooky faves as a kid. Something about mid 90s cheap Canadian kids productions on VHS added to the effect.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Weekend at Bernie's 2 was one of those movies that Comedy Central would play periodically when I was a kid so I saw it at least once. Bernie's body starts dancing and walking when he hears music because of a voodoo curse.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Opopanax posted:

Exorcist Trailer. I don't know, looks good. Curious to see where they go to make it a trilogy

Ellen Burstyn is apparently 90 years old, jesus christ.

Trailer looks fine but I feel like it's gonna be hard to make demonic possession feel fresh. The idea of twin possessions in sync just kinda feels like that one episode of Evangelion.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Opopanax posted:

Given that they've said it's a trilogy right off the bat I'm assuming Regan shows up in the end and takes over

god now I want them to just do the eva sync battle against the demons even MORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jerwm4ctkg

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Deepfake Jamie Lee Curtis like Leia in that loving modern Star War

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Medullah posted:

Nah just make it truly 10 in and they're not even trying anymore. Like "In this room there is a key cleverly hidden" but it's just a bucket turned upside down with it in it.

But you have you cut off and eat your own nipples or else the room is acid

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

And then room was acid

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Origami Dali posted:

need a future saw where it's jigsaw.gpt run amok, like ghost in the machine poo poo

That's just I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

david_a posted:

Halloween 2018
Halloween
Halloween 4

I don’t care

RZ Halloween 2

I realized I don’t really care about this franchise. I watched Halloween after a lot of the things it influenced and it didn’t make a big impact on me.

imo the original is great from a film appreciation standpoint (early John Carpenter done on a micro budget), and that's what has made it age well. But yeah, everything it did has been done better in the 40 years since.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Spoilers geeze

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Space station AI learns about Jigsaw and emulates him by rigging up space station traps against the crew to teach them a lesson about, iunno, climate change or some poo poo.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

bbobseq posted:

Mulholland Drive

Do we count David Lynch as horror? I just sort of have his stuff bucketed in its own genre-less tier.

Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me could be thrown in as investigative if they count though.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Crescent Wrench posted:

David Lynch is one of my favorite directors, and Eraserhead one of my personal hall of fame favorites. I can't say I'd reach for Lynch when I'm in the mood for a horror film, but at the same time I think any discerning horror fan is going to be into his stuff. (Although oddly enough the G-rated film The Straight Story is probably in my Lynch top 3 as well.)

Yeah that's all I was really getting at. It's not that his stuff isn't scary on a very deep cerebral level, it's just that I don't associate it with "horror". It's just David Lynch. Then again I have a special reverence for the guy, I just think he's neat.

Basebf555 posted:

I have an extremely strong emotional response to the final scene of Fire Walk With Me with Cooper and Laura in the Red Room where he's sort of wordlessly comforting her.

I've never thought of it this way but Fire Walk With Me is probably the ultimate prequel, the best ever use of a prequel. Because if you watched(and obsessed over) Twin Peaks, you hardly got to know Laura. She was like a distant star where we only could understand it's presence by observing the effects it had on the surrounding area. The whole show is about the ripple effects of who she was and what happened to her. So to then see her struggle so vividly and to see how inevitable it felt in the moment and what it meant to actually be in her shoes, it just rips your heart out and adds a totally new layer to Twin Peaks that didn't exist before Lynch made that movie.

gently caress yeah. I dragged my feet on watching it because of the weird response people/critics had to it. It's loving incredible.

Twin Peaks is the ultimate "buy the ticket, take the ride" show. It's the best when you just let Lynch and Frost take you on their journey.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Class3KillStorm posted:

Going back to VHS chat for a moment, the $90 price point thing for distributors was something that stuck around for a long long time. I remember seeing a catalog of new purchasable titles at the local Phar-Mor - sort of a small Southern drug store chain a la Rite Aid - that used to rent movies and games. I was interested in potentially getting a copy of Tomorrow Never Dies, the first Bond film I'd seen in theaters, but it was priced at $100 in 1998 money. Cheaper to buy a copy of "GoldenEye 007" and an extra controller for the N64 than to get one single VHS tape before its public release street date lol.

But, it wasn't all bad for those distributors - sometimes they got goofy pitch videos with the stars to try to pitch them on the smart financial business of buying copies of smaller and mid-budget films for their stores. Like this one, starring Chucky: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7irP3CTyDsg

Never forget the Terminator 2 VHS promo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9frKVo6-1M

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

MariusLecter posted:

Going to be watching Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum tonight.

Soon I'm gonna go pick up some popcorn and something to drink. Any recommendations?

Boylan real sugar cola

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

This is the first time that I've recognized the guy on the The Thing poster is wearing a parka, and doesn't just have crazy frizzed out hair.

I saw the poster many many times before ever watching the movie so I just always had that impression stuck in my head.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

I associate Bram Stoker's Dracula with autumn even though it's not specifically a fall movie. It feels like Halloween.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Snooze Cruise posted:

i keep putting it out in the world, but seriously a ghost trick like game where you are death possessing objects to kill people

Not really the same but there's this
https://store.steampowered.com/app/218640/Lucius/
No idea if it's any good, seems like a bit of a cult hit.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Man like I understand if Black Mirror ain't your thing but how can you say it's as bad as Sherlock. Sherlock was so god drat awful.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

The skit in the haunted house is scary. I think the guide was lying about the loving fuckers blowing giant loads.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

ms. pogs follows a few different 'found videos' and 'lost footage' communities, and put this on the other night: a newly-unearthed VHS (now with English subs) of Nighty Night, an 80's japanese horror anthology! three baffling tales of odd terror!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUbRVNKns3g

i really strongly recommend the second segment, SURVIVAL GAME, but the practical effects in the third segment (CINDERELLA) are also great.

(this is a dusty, musty old VHS rip so adjust your visual expectations accordingly).

Neat!!!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Shrecknet posted:

have yall seen slasher.tv ? It's literally facebook/twitter but for horror fans. Not sure where it came from or how long it's been around, but it certainly has the theming down. Not sure it's useful when I can just go to the horror feed on my bluesky (or come here) but it exists!

What a weird thing in tyool 2023. Like someone could just stand up a horror movie themed Mastodon server and not have the walled garden issue of whatever one-off software this is running. Otherwise people are just gonna keep using whatever they're already using to talk horror flicks.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Deadite posted:

The last few season though they switched formats so now it's "Zak Bagans' Halloween Wars" who I guess is some doofus from one of those ghost hunting shows, and every episode he brings out a piece of junk he picked up at a yard sale, tells the story of why it's "haunted," and that has to be the inspiration for the creations that episode.

He's probably entirely shameless about doing anything for a buck to stay relevant so they can pay him a lot less for his time. I imagine it's less bullshit for real horror people to just go to conventions.

Also the target demo for these shows is probably boomers like my dad who think Ghost Adventures is gripping television but have no stomach for actual horror flicks.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

And I mean no disrespect to people who can't stomach horror, but there's probably much more of a venn diagram overlap between Ghost Adventures fans and Food Network than posters itt and Food Network if I had to guess.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

We're doing it boys, we're reaching perfect synthesis...

lmao

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Class3KillStorm posted:

What am I... what am I lookin' at here?

One of the segments is a mirror, you just have to look hard enough.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

VROOM VROOM posted:

And remember to turn on your monitor or you're really screwed

:emptyquote:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGeC880CYw

another trailer for The Exorcist: Believer dropped. parts of this look great but i'm still suspicious

I'm gonna be a broken record and say I'm fuckin calling it that they're gonna do the Evangelion synchronized battle gimmick with an exorcism.

Also I'm still over possession movies.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

MrMojok posted:

Then probably Re-Animator, which I haven’t seen since the late 80s.

You're in for a treat.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Baron von Eevl posted:

That dye is gadolinium, a rare-earth metal that also pools in your brain and seemingly lives there forever after you get a contrast MRI.

Stop scaring people, this is the horror thread.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

In the future, earth is populated entirely by Chucky dolls. No humans have survived. They are curiosities that only exist on display as lifelike models in museums. A Chucky museum curator becomes curious about what human society was like before their eradication, and experiments with an occult procedure to bring one of the museum displays back to life.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Question: could you say whatever the HELL you wanted?

Follow-up question: not trying to be funny, not trying to get a laugh, don't want anybody to have the worst day of their job, but did any of those fuckers ever blast out of the wall and have like a huge cumshot?

I honestly thought op was going to go right into this, was pleasantly surprised to get a merkin story instead.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Hausu is an all time great group watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

alf_pogs posted:

oh drat, sold. lining this up for the weekend

https://youtu.be/4TK4uS9dzdM?si=odkDpY3KtXe3fIJI

What the heck this looks amazing.

Some cool poo poo coming out of South America lately, it's great.