Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having this movie on VHS really helped me get through some tough times when I was 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Unwelcome is so ridiculous lol. Pretty fun watch on Shudder

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s very stupid though

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BioEnchanted posted:

Just watched Talk to Me at a late night showing. It was pretty fun, I liked that it (ending spoilers) hosed with the protagonists perception of reality so by the end even the viewer is left a bit off kilter until it becomes clear that her dead mother has been gaslighting her into thinking she's on her side the whole movie. That final "Talk to Me. I let you in" was a cool way to end it. I also loved when she ended up talking to the little girl in the hospital room and suddently SHE says "I let you in" reversing how the hand is meant to work and dragging her into their hell dimension. I also liked that the main characters generally acted with empathy towards each other, certainly in the initial scare with the injured child, the mother blames the protagonist and the guests because she suspects some kind of drug, and she's half right, but when that fear is proven to be unfounded she actually apologises and lets the protagonist have time with her son. At this point she really shouldn't and it's a bad move, but she had no way of knowing that by that point the protagonist has totally lost it and that her initial fear of her exposing her son to a harmful thing was actually correct, but in a magic way.

Way better than the side characters in Smile who were all dick heads, all just being "Oh, your just going crazy like your mother did" and not doing anything to actually help her. also it avoided Smile's unfortunate moral about trauma.

Yeah I saw it earlier tonight too and I liked it a lot. Not a perfect movie, but all around good characters, good spooky imagery, liked the ending. It was nice to see a premise that is so "teen horror" buck most of the trends that make the genre so predictable and lame. The characters are well written and believable (great cast too), some super gnarly imagery, bleak as hell.

poo poo, I think it might be my favorite horror movie this year so far. I might be blanking on something better atm though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I hadn't heard of it, so I looked the trailer up and it has to be one of the most spoiler filled trailers I have ever seen in my life. Who made that? Goddamn.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hollismason posted:

It was also a 1980s horror film !

I don't think the two are related.

Pretty sure there is also a Primal Rage movie loosely based on the game starring the Rock lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually now I am trying to look it up and...did I imagine this? Why did I think there was a primal rage movie starring the Rock?

Anyways, ignore me. Carry on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeahh...Thought I was losing my mind for a minute there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rampage was also a fighting game where you played as giant apes and dinosaurs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGHxPyVVUNo&t=3s

I believe the Rock movie was technically based on the IP even though it barely resembled it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, Eden Lake is all kinds of hosed up. I was not expecting it to be so insanely brutal lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is it good even if you think the Saw series is dumb, or is it only good if you already like Saw?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think my top 2 for the year are Talk to Me and Nocebo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where Evil Lurks is pure chaos energy lol. No idea what I just watched but I liked it

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

He was very good in Little Children playing a pedophile going after Patrick Wilson’s kid

Then they partnered up to become superhero’s in Watchmen where JEH killed a pedophile with a cleaver

Patrick Wilson also played a pedo in hard Candy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I noticed the new Hell House llc has good reviews. As someone who remembers enjoying the first one, but forgot everything about it. Is it worth just watching the new one? Should I rewatch the original? Were the other 2 sequels worth watching at all?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was pretty fun and spooky but it had some of the dumbest horror movie protagonists I’ve seen in a while.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WHY BONER NOW posted:

a while back people were talking about getting scared by horror movies. I don't get scared very often but once in a while something will get under my skin and give me the willies, usually found footage of people in isolated places.

What I like about these times is the afterglow when the movie is over, when I can sit in a darkened room and enjoy the residual spookiness. It's a mood I enjoy and it takes a scary movie to put me there. I watched the new Hell House movie last night and it gave me the creeps and afterwards I sat there and basked in it

Yeah, I have watched way too much horror and most of it fails to get a reaction out of me, but found footage can still spook me out a bit sometimes. It’s mostly a dumb genre but I like it for that reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Agreed. If a Dracula is in it, the movie is good.

Even if it’s Dracula’s second cousin, Ron Dracula? Who is not a vampire and collects stamps

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m morbidly curious about Believer but I haven’t heard a single person say a single positive thing about it. Not even like “well at least it was fun”

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Finally got around to watching Mother! Really liked it. The scene at the end is so hosed up lol.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

he sits on peoples faces for cold hard cash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Opopanax posted:

Hell yeah, there's another of us! Soon we'll hit double digits!

If you haven't seen Killing of a Sacred Deer check that one out, it's very different from mother! But comes closest to that feeling it evokes

I saw it in theaters! I also really liked it.

My biggest takeaway from Mother! was that Ari Aster was probably thinking about it the entire time he was making Beau is Afraid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really hate that I am typing this out, but in the part before the baby is ultimately killed and eaten, the way it is screaming and pissing all over the place as people toss it around is one of the most demented things I have ever seen in a movie, and I was just sitting there like "that's brilliant"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn’t care much about the allegory in mother. I liked it because it portrays nightmare logic in a way that feels so real.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The first act of beau is afraid is one of the best things I have ever watched, the second is great and everything beyond that was just boring. I honestly don’t even remember how the movie ended cause I was so tapped out by the end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah Krampus is great. Christmas horror comedies are usually really bad, so it felt like a real gem.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vice has a docuseries on Hulu I checked out earlier tonight called "the Dark side of wrestling" or something and it's pretty entertaining.

The funny thing about wrestling for me is that it's so completely ridiculous I can't comprehend how people are actually into it, but the second any sort of documentary or drama about wrestling pops up I can't hit the play button fast enough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

is there a point where Skinamarink clicks/lands or should I just ditch it if I found the first 20 minutes painfully boring? I've tried to watch it twice now because people like it so much, but even though I'm down with arthouse stuff I feel like this movie is about as fun as watching paint dry.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gripweed posted:

That movie wasn't bad, I don't understand why everybody got so mad about it at the time.

I think people wanted a new actual cloverfield movie and didn’t like that it’s essentially an anthology series at this point. I thought the movie itself was fine but pretty forgettable.

10 cloverfield lane whipped rear end though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is kind of frustrating. It's so close to being good but it's just, not? Great concept. Cast is solid. Nice looking movie...It's just kind of boring though and I can't really put my finger on why. I couldn't stop thinking about that Love Death Robots segment directed by david fincher that was basically the same thing but so much better.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ghostwatch is a really fun watch. I don’t know if it’s infamous in the UK, but as an American I’d never heard of it. along with it being an ok little piece of horror it was pretty fun to read the whole context of it and also get a nice little slice of 1992.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You’ll Never Find Me fuckin slaps.

Why are Aussies so good at horror movies?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love this thread. I make an offhand comment about Aussie horror, come back the next day, and now I have a bunch of new movies queued up to watch.

I dunno what it is though either. Not even just horror, but thrillers, post apocalypse stuff etc. Obviously not all of it is great, but I feel like if its from australia there is a pretty decent chance I'm gonna like it. Not sure if I can articulate why, but I guess it often has a bit an edge to it, and Aussie horror tends to prey on relatable fears and have decent characters. Eastern European stuff sometimes lands for me for similar reasons.

Talk to Me is a good example. it's a pretty textbook teen horror movie. Teens summoning ghosts, bad stuff happens...There's nothing notable about the premise tbh. But the characters and acting are really good. It's even very funny at times. I felt genuinely bad for the main girl. I just wanted poo poo to work out for her, which is a weird feeling watching a teen horror. Also it really doesn't pull any punches and goes hard as hell when it chooses too. Just bleak as gently caress. Their depiction of hell(?) was just like, gruesome and unsettling .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was kind of bad. The concept is good but it wasn’t very convincing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Doltos posted:

It feels like every horror movie geared towards teens is just a curse movie. Empty Man, Bye Bye Man, Wish Upon, Truth Or Dare, anything that just CGI's out a rictus grin. It's all derivative.

Empty Man isn't really a teen movie at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's not a perfect movie but it does some interesting stuff. I enjoyed it. They really didn't do themselves any favors with the title.