Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

Not only does DARK WEB kick rear end, if you can, track down a copy on DVD because they did the CLUE thing where there are three different endings that played on different theaters, and they're all bangers.

Oh man, I love Clue, including the ending gimmick. I'm sure I can track down the endings if I'm so inclined though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shrecknet posted:

DAGON has an all-time of a degloving scene, so, y'know be aware.

what are ya'lls favorite deglovings?

I love that a niche topic like this will spark earnest debate in this thread.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Okay well no one said anything so I'm going with the original Wicker Man for my continued watch in investigative horror.

This is what I would have advised had I seen your prior post in time. The Nic Cage Wicker Man riemake s honestly just pretty dull. The funny moments don't start until the final act, and even then they are all packed pretty neatly into the two-minute YouTube video.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

One of the main reasons I use Letterboxd is because I often can’t remember if I’ve seen something or what I thought of it, it’s nice being able to quickly check that

Yeah, but now instead of "oh, wait, I already saw this," I'll see something about a movie, nothing about the plot synopsis or trailer seems familiar, but then find it on my Letterboxd anyway. Am I watching movies in a fugue state?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I watched Thirst last night, and it was a wild ride. I've seen a few Park Chan-wook films and always enjoyed them, but this one had more of a bizarre sense of humor than the others from what I recall. I also had forgotten it stars my main man Song Kang-ho, who kills it as always. And I'd never seen Kim Ok-vin in anything before, but her deranged energy complimented him perfectly.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've been glossing over discussion about Talk to Me since I may want to see it. I'm off this week and may have a few opportunities to go the theater, yay or nay on catching it on the big screen if I have a chance?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

FreudianSlippers posted:

I love people doing research in libraries in horror.

Agreed. It just isn't the same when they just call some rear end in a top hat paranormal expert on Skype. Give me newspaper articles on microfiche any day.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

davidspackage posted:

We tried watching GorillaGhostbusters with my just-turned-11-today nephew over the weekend. He was tensing up at the library ghost, and after Dana found an evil dimension in the fridge, he asked if we could watch something else :shobon:

I can't blame him, I fondly remember watching it repeatedly with my best friend when I was about his age, but still watching that library ghost through half-closed eyes.

I always did OK with Ghostbusters, but I remember watching Ghostbusters 2 and finding an excuse to leave the room for a minute when they got eaten by the river of pink slime. :ohdear:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
R.I.P.

William Friedkin actually gave my college commencement speech (despite no discernible ties to the school or even the state).

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a hot take or not, but I treasure Bug more than The Exorcist.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I was a kid we rented movies incessantly, and we also diligently recorded everything we watched. Our private collection was almost entirely our bootlegged VHS tapes with 3 movies per tape. They're long gone, but I wish I at least had a picture of the labels or a list or something. I'm sure there's many combinations of 2 to 3 movies that I just saw all the time because they were all together on the same tape.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ambitious Spider posted:

The Exam
The Circle
Would you rather?

This is good a time as any to bring this up, but I absolutely love movies where characters are facing a very defined situation/set of circumstances/etc. and have to deduce the rules and use logic and strategy to survive. These are typically horror/thriller/survival movies, but I guess they don't have to exclusively fall into that for me to enjoy them. Exam and Circle are two examples that got me thinking. The Cube series, of course. The Platform. Coherence. Triangle becomes something in this vein. Devil (the elevator one). Frozen (the ski lift one). You can be pretty loose with this definition, though. I think a very early example for me was Night of the Living Dead (being trapped in the house, figuring out how to fortify it, plans to find a vehicle, plans in case of a breach, etc.)

Anyway, I am always, always on the lookout for stuff like this. Even relatively mediocre ones.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Giant genre shift, but have you read Project Hail Mary? It’s from Andy Weird, The Martian guy, and it is literally 90% people solving bizarre alien physics problems through experimentation.

Ooh. No, I have not, but sci-fi is my genre of choice when it comes to literature so that's going on the list.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This is totally unnecessary, but if it's going to happen I will admit the guy who did Fried Barry may be the ideal choice.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I did get to see Talk to Me yesterday. It was just OK for me as well. I liked some aspects--it's well-acted, it's tersely paced, and it plays the kind of silly premise pretty straight. I'll be wary of spoilers because it's still in theaters, but I will say it definitely felt like the script lost track of "the rules" by the end and I was having trouble keeping a bead on what as supposed to be happening.

I will add I do kind of wish I'd seen it in a crowded theater, but my brother and I were the only ones there at the random afternoon showing. (Admittedly, being alone is creepy in it's own way. I was not pleased when towards the end of the movie I turned around to see a theater employee just lurking in the staff doorway.)

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

He was just letting you in. :P

:eek:

Also, I forgot to mention that, although the ending scene is pretty fitting and well-done, the song that plays when it smashes to credits is so wildly inappropriate that my brother and I burst out laughing. It was like one of those "Knives Out but it came out in 2007" type joke videos come to life. We actually had to take a couple of minutes to shake off how stupid it was before we could actually talk about the movie.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

Any recommendations for a less than 90 minute horror movie for tonight. Suggestions taken for the next 30 minutes or so. I am leaning toward Brain Damage and the movie as well.

So many options, I'm still only at 88 minutes as the longest movie after two pages on my Letterboxd. Brain Damage is great fun, but if you're considering other kind of trashy schlock you could always consider stuff like Chopping Mall, Hack-O-Lantern, etc.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

The first half to two-thirds of Mouth of Madness are absolutely peak Carpenter, can go toe-to-toe with any of his other stuff.

God I wish he worked with Sam Neill more.

*cough* Memoirs of an Invisible Man *cough*

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

After seeing the trailer for The Dive, I wonder: does that particular subgenre have a name? Stuff like that, 127 Hours, Fall, The Shallows etc. Cuz I put forward "situation horror".

I kind of like "situation horror." I think this is at the very least a sister genre to a conversation thread from a few days ago:

Jedit posted:

Best horror movies where the vast majority of the film takes place in one room, go.

My vote for Fermat's Room. Consolation prize goes to 1408.

Crescent Wrench posted:

This is good a time as any to bring this up, but I absolutely love movies where characters are facing a very defined situation/set of circumstances/etc. and have to deduce the rules and use logic and strategy to survive. These are typically horror/thriller/survival movies, but I guess they don't have to exclusively fall into that for me to enjoy them. Exam and Circle are two examples that got me thinking. The Cube series, of course. The Platform. Coherence. Triangle becomes something in this vein. Devil (the elevator one). Frozen (the ski lift one). You can be pretty loose with this definition, though. I think a very early example for me was Night of the Living Dead (being trapped in the house, figuring out how to fortify it, plans to find a vehicle, plans in case of a breach, etc.)

Anyway, I am always, always on the lookout for stuff like this. Even relatively mediocre ones.

Fall is a great example that I could have listed in my initial list as well. (I mean, it's not a great movie, but it sure fits the criteria.)

Keep the examples coming!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Origami Dali posted:

I need a good horror movie that primarily takes place at a carnival/fair or small amusement park that is not The Funhouse, Ghoulies 2, Freaks, or Haunt

Well, Romero's recently unearthed The Amusement Park immediately comes to mind.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Love this one for It Follows. The retro style is appropriate for the movie, and it's an evocative way to capture the shifting/intangible monster and the sense of paranoia it brings.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, we'll see if they eventually manage to get a good balance of decent stories and decent wraparound. Usually they'll drop the ball on one of those.

:wal: Oh they're balanced all right.

:stat: You really think so?

:wal: ...because they're both bad!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

Every movie set in the 80s and 90s always has nothing but bangers playing on the radio, on people’s headphones etc. It’s a small detail but kinda drives me mad.

I do like that in House of the Devil the Greta Gerwig character is driving around back roads in a dumpy car listening to some Thomas Dolby album cut.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I think the rose-colored glasses effect about period music is even worse when it's some dipshit kid's t-shirt or posters in their bedroom. You're 13 years old in 1980, dude. Some production designer put that Joy Division poster there while you were begging mom for a ride to see REO Speedwagon or Bob Seger.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M_Sinistrari posted:

Things like that come from writers who are too distant from the era they're writing. I can't remember if it was in Stranger Things or Fear Street where someone doesn't use a payphone correctly.

How did they manage to gently caress up using a pay phone?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
In terms of weird idiosyncratic childhood "classics," when I rewatched Vamp as an adult I was very surprised I was allowed free access to the VHS whenever the hell I wanted. Even as a kid, Grace Jones is by far the most memorable part.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
When I watched Antichrist there was a moment that caught me so off-guard I started going "NO NO NO NO NO" and got up and ran out of the bedroom to catch my breath. My wife got pissed off because she heard me and for a second she thought I just found out somebody died or something.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine actually did have a first date taking a girl to see Nymphomaniac, but he's a film buff so he knew what he was getting into and considered it a great sign that she was down.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Martman posted:

was the moment:

1. the talking fox
2. genital mutilation
3. dafoe smashing that bird who would not shut the hell up

It was 2, the FGM, yeah.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hollismason posted:

At the end of TCM the semi truck driver just books it down the loving street while Sally gets in the back of the truck. Feel bad for that dude he lost his truck.

And you sick fucks are celebrating the anniversary like it's a joke.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Holy poo poo. If you haven't seen One Cut Of The Dead yet, go and watch it immediately, completely blind. It's a god-drat marvel. I can't say enough good things about it. I'm just sitting here floored at what I just watched. Wow.

:yeah:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I treasure One Cut of the Dead so much. it's such a joyous film about creativity and filmmaking, and the denouement and the closing shot make me oddly emotional. I think Midsommar is the only film since then I've loved more.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

It took me three tries to get past the first third of One Cut of the Dead and I agree it's hard to recommend it to someone without spoiling everything. Just tell everyone to stick with it and it will be worth it

This actually touches on a broader question that I always ponder when talking about film. What are people's standards for bailing on a movie? I often see people talking about taking multiple attempts to finish a movie, or saying "I couldn't get through it," etc. I've even seen the idea of seeing a movie through despite a rough start being used as an example of the sunk cost fallacy, which mildly angers me. That's not how art works!

To me, watching a movie is typically a commitment, and it's extremely rare for me to not finish something, or even to watch it in chunks. There are countless examples of films that cannot be evaluated in the opening act. And it doesn't take a radical shift for that to be true, as plenty of movies have opening segments or acts that are preludes, or may be slow but build up to something, or are meditative mood pieces or characters studies, etc. Maybe part of it comes from being a critic in a former life where, even if something is crap, I do enjoy evaluating a movie and being able to have an informed opinion and discuss it.

Anyway, I'm not coming down on anyone for their own preferences here, I just think it's interesting that I have my feet so firmly planted against the practice for whatever reason.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess it's only fair that I disclose that the only film I've ever talked out of in anger in the theater was the first Michael Bay Transformers movie. I made the mistake of watching the '80s animated film directly beforehand to hype myself up. I sat there with my disappointment and disgust mounting with every minute. I made it as far as the part when Optimus Prime stepped on something in Shia's back yard and said "My bad!" at which point I think I actually threw my hands in the air before leaving.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

This is a pretty good example of a movie worth sticking it out for imo. I watch The Lure almost monthly, it's perfect.

An enthusiastic second. The Lure owns, it has a pretty odd tone throughout, but it's always shifting the kind of movie it is.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Personally I think she's a great actress and would gladly watch any film in the expanded Pughniverse.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Deadite posted:

Has anyone else seen Marrowbone? That movie might have one of the biggest discrepancies between talented cast and overall blandness I’ve ever seen

Ugh, what a turd. Sometimes you see a great cast like that and go "Hmm, why haven't I ever heard of this?" Usually there's a very good reason.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
V may have Fake Jason, the worst portrayal of Tommy Jarvis, and the most embarrassing humor in the entire franchise, but at least it doesn't turn Jason into an interdimensional worm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I love interdimensional worms as much as more than the next guy but I want a movie with an interdimensional worm AND Jason. I shouldn't have to choose either/or!

The platonic ideal of an avatar/post combo for the horror thread.