Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Ed, you're gonna need to give me my boy Reptile. We can't have 2 games in a row without Reptile, right Ed? Where's my boy Reptile, Ed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Reptile and Shujinko will be playable characters in this game.

Do we have official confirmation or is that from the leaked list?

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

This is also true. I always buy NRS games on PC, and then instantly regret it, and i'm gonna do it again with MK1 because I really do prefer to play fighting games on PC.

also :same:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

e: posted before I saw the update

:(

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I mean, I would probably do this too.

The champ is here.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I think it is fine if a fighting game has dlc characters

:same:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

I would have bet large amounts of money that Geras was a one-and-done. He had no personality and saw little play. Really, really surprised they saw something salvageable there.

He was one of the most popular tournament characters for a long time though? He had a lot of KBs and they were all things that would trigger throughout the normal course of a match. Other characters had to fish for the KB requirements first.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Crowetron posted:

That's just Doug.

Forget it. I'm outta heeere.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

This game can't come out soon enough.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

iirc Mortal Kombat 11 NEVER let you get the Deadly Alliance Sub-Zero after missing the preorder for it and Kold War Skarlet was forever stuck in Russia

Kold War Skarlet was made purchasable with Time Krystals in early 2020. Not sure about the other skin though.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

They fear our power

:hai:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yeah, I liked Kollector.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Sockser posted:

MK1 website says there's "New and returning" kharakters

But the only one that could be maybe considered new is Liu Kang
Have to imagine there's maybe one or two secrets they're still holding onto

Maybe WB forced them to add Cole Young.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Ed Boon did the hot wings show (and apparently paid for the privilege)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZJaYVDfoDE

He's a pretty dull interview tbh, but I did like the story of Scorpion's catchphrase

The questions were very standard but I'm not sure how how you make an interview like that more interesting since he's not a typical celebrity.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Jerkface posted:

you can get 15-17% off on greenmangaming if you're getting it for PC.

Do we know when the Greenman keys go out? Like, will I be able to play on the 14th or do I have to wait until the 19th? The last game I preordered was MK11 and I don't remember how that worked.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Just got my pre-order key from Greenman for the base version of the game. Looks like I get to play tomorrow after all.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

With GMG's current sale the kost of the game + first KP is 91 bux, which is almost reasonable these days.

Yeah, I'll just have to buy that later. I always try to buy games on steep discount and don't do preorders, with the exception of MK games because I've always been a sucker for them.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

ghostinmyshell posted:

I have to say these the graphics at times make me thinking I'm watching an actual lovely live action bmovie at times.

The materials work in this game is incredible. Wood, stone, rusty chains - all of it looks exactly like it should. I spend a lot of my time watching streams just looking at backgrounds because they're gorgeous.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Was watching AF0xyGrampa earlier and lol that Ashrah can throw into a combo using Scorpion as a kameo.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

e: Goddamnit multiple articles lied to me. Doesn't unlock for 12 more hours.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 19, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Twibbit posted:

Unlocked on my ps5 right now though

Steam doesn't unlock until noon EDT tomorrow.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

MK11 PC port was solid and MK1 is also good. Unfortunately the FB/menu screens are locked to 30fps but they eventually fixed that in MK11 so they probably will with this, too. Remember to turn off Chromatic Aberration so that everything doesn't look like a blurry mess.

There's a mod to fix the framerate just like at the launch of MK11 but it was made with the prerelease version and I think it needs to be updated because it made Reptile's face get smushed in.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I don't mind this

Being able to unlock things but also pay for them is fine for me

The price is pretty egregious, especially considering you unlock a kameo for every 5 levels you gain. You'll have them all by level 25.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Floor is lava posted:

they need to add a LAUGH TRACK, BOO, JEERING and AWWW buttons to mk1's story mode

i'm 2 hours in to the 10 hour(?) story mode movie

holy poo poo is it long

Eh, it ain't quite that long. I'm 2 and a half hours in and I just got the achievement for 50% story completion.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

TIL that Ashrah gets a full combo off her back throw with a Scorpion kameo. WTF.

I mentioned this itt a few days ago.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Revelations like these make me wonder why I bother playing an honest character at all. It's time to learn Ashrah.

Just don't be surprised if they remove it since it was probably not intended.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Schnitzler posted:

She's not the only character who can combo of throws with kameos. Baraka/Cyrax has an easy one, Raiden/Striker a more tricky one. They also tell you that you can do this in either the tutorial or one of the combo trials, so I think it is intentional.

Ah, okay, I haven't gotten around to the tutorials yet so I did not know that.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Hmm, seems some of the brutalities are bugged. Reptile's dash brutality says to hold Y and I do and nothing happens. I watched AF0xyGrampa do it the other day so I wonder if it's just not working on the Steam version.

E: I think some of them are just mislabeled. Reptile's second fatality distance is listed as close when it's actually mid.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 21, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Unbound posted:

I just played around with this one and I was able to get it to work, but its kind of like his slide brutality, where if the move kills after a certain trigger point, it just won't work. For this one you need the first part of the move, where he dashes past them, to be the killing blow while holding 2.

His Fatality 2 is definitely mislabeled though.

I could have sworn I killed them on the first hit a few times. Either I was mistaken or it was something to do with damage scaling based on stats in invasion mode. I can get it to work consistently outside of the mode as long as the other person is 30hp or less.

Sucks that it's such a stringent requirement because I was hoping to use it as a quick brutality for the mode. The slide one has quite a bit more leeway but it and some of the others take a pretty long time. I know the uppercut is nice and quick but sometimes they jump the instant you do it so it doesn't count.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It occurred to me that MK11 pandered directly to everyone whose childhood peaked during MK3 and MK1 is doing the same for the 3D era babies. This can only mean one thing: The release of Shaolin Monks 2 is imminent.

:pray:

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Another maybe dumb question: I find it easier to move with the joystick, but combos and abilities seem easier with the D-pad. Do most people stick to one of the two, or use them both?

D-Pad is generally easier for NRS games, yeah.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

I find the XBONE Dpad to be complete rear end

Much better time on ps4/5 controller so far

Yeah, Xbox D-Pad has always been rear end. I'm using a PS3 controller on PC cause that's the last console I owned.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I am not afraid of the man who has practiced tge 40% combo 1000 times, I fear the man who has practiced winning in neutral and oki 1000 times....

This. Having good fundamentals is better than having big combos. You can pick people apart while they spend the entire match fishing for their combos. A lot of bad players will complain about people spamming or not doing combos because they don't know how to deal with basic stuff. Complaining about spamming is especially funny because it means they can't even adapt to one or two basic moves.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Is anyone else unable to buy the Flame Up Kung Lao skin from the seasonal store? I've been trying to buy it for 3 days and it always gives me an error. Nothing else has done this so far.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Li Mei doesn't wear a hat.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

X JAKK posted:

ASHRAH. gently caress.

First post in the thread and you blew up your fan cred. Shameful.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Either way is fine but def pump it up above where it needs to be and let it drop into place. You should have a near 100% success rate using that method.

E: Also whoever said Invasions are too long was spot on. I cheesed my way through it by putting all stat points into attack and uppercutting my way to victory and it still took almost 3 times as long as beating story mode.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 23, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Unbound posted:

I could only imagine the slog it would be for the fights to be 2 rounds. Fun idea, but man did it just feel like I was just doing the same thing for like 7 hours.

A bunch of the boss fights are including about half of the ones that unlock after you beat it. Some are 3 rounds.

e: Also 7 hours is being generous. It took me at least twelve and I only had two fights that I failed. One I failed once and the other I failed 3 times and had to respec to beat it because the survival gimmick that happened at the start of round 3 did absurd damage. You could maybe cut a couple hours off that if you didn't play every single node like I did.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Sep 23, 2023

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

The invasions are okay as a seasonal gimmick but I hope that they do something to mix it up in the future, maybe some more map features or secrets because it gets a little boring fighting 12 slightly different versions of Baraka. I miss the character towers from MK11, those were a good excuse to grind out some gear and learn a new combo or two.

If they just made them about half as long I think it would be fine. Also, if I could get some of the really nice color palletes they show off instead of the drab brown and orange of this season. I get they're going for a fall motif but I just don't think it looks good on a lot of the characters and want something more colorful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

There's a lot that makes MK unique from other 2D fighters, but as always, the frame data tells the whole story. In this game ~almost~ everything that is -7f on block is considered safe, in that most characters cannot punish you for throwing it out. There are a couple exceptions like Li Mei's metered reversal or Kung Lao's 1, but it helps to know that when looking at all the input data. So when I'm picking up a character for the first time the things I look for are...

1. What strings are safe on block (-7f or less)
2. What buttons are plus on block
3. What's my fastest jab to poke out of stuff (usually D1)
4. What's my rangiest poke from neutral
5. What's my fastest advancing mid (mids are king in MK)
6. What are my overhead/low mixups and combo starters (not all characters have both)
7. What's my best anti-air option (different for every character but usually a DP or standing 1)
8. What is my armored wakeup move

Lots more to that obviously and kameos add a whole other layer but if you study those for a couple minutes then you can generally get the sense of a character and their options without knowing too much about their combo structure.

This is a good post. One general thing I will add is that throws in this game are considered highs so they can be ducked. However if the person ducking blocks or tries an attack you can still throw them. This can be very useful against people who try to D1 to steal turns.