Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How do you feel about the letter C?
Despise it.
Loathe it.
Hate it.
Ed Boon's parents were killed by the letter C section of a library and I personally, will not stand for this.
View Results

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Im bettin we see Havik revealed tomorrow. Hopefully not as a Kameo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Hopefully the things like Brutalities and Fatalities will just be there from the bat. I could care less about what my sword looks like though.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Twibbit posted:

I was trying to come up with a joke reason why we have not Reptile yet, but then I realized that in this timeline, his people and realm are probably alive and well and he is likely just chilling.

Khameleon was spotted in the background of one of the story trailers that released recently. So Zaterrans are around at least.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

Scorpion's MK11 towers ending had him discover that his family's death was a Dr. Who-style fixed point in time, for reasons that were beyond anything he could learn with Kronika's power.

While not every tower ending ever amounts to anything, both that and Hanzo himself feel like big, unfired Chekhov's guns for this.

Sub Zero (Bi Han) kills Smoke and a majority of the Lin Kuei so Scorpion (Kuai Liang) vows vengeance. MK 13/2 has Smoke and other Lin Kuei returning as zombie cyborgs.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

He introduces himself in the reveal trailer as "Earthrealm's protector and the God of Fire." Either Kang doesn't have Kronika's power anymore, or he's not inclined to run off to reset the timeline whenever any little thing goes wrong. (You hear that, Barry Allen?)

Either way, in MK cosmology, there are the Elder Gods (unthinkably powerful, rarely directly active), the Titans (Kronika, Shinnok, Cetrion), the gods (Raiden, Fujin, Argus), and then demigods like Rain. Kang's acting like Raiden, which means he's willing to take a direct hand in things if it means keeping Earthrealm safe.

you got me nerd raging

Kronika is the only named Titan that we are aware of. Shinnok is a fallen/banished Elder God. Cetrion is just an Eder God.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Really wish NRS had taken a page from Capcom and stopped putting PC on the back burner

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Its not Kai. Noticeable lack of tattoos going over his shoulders to his chest. Most likely story fatality fodder.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

SUNKOS posted:

I think that's Jade as a kameo fighter at 2:20?

Nah, that's Frost

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Shinji2015 posted:

MK11 Jade was extremely my jam as far as what I look for in a kharacter, but I had a lot of fun with Skarlet too. Would love for both those versions to come back at some point.

Shame it's very unlikely

You can just say you like zoners. Its ok.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

exquisite tea posted:

Jade isn't really a zoner in MK11. You can play her that way, but you're basically skipping out on her terrifying mix-up + pressure game from Delia's Dance and her extremely good B3 string to throw subpar projectiles (with the exception of EX Air Glaive abuse).

That's a good point. I think it's partially because 90% of the time I saw one in Kombat League it was zoner morons who didn't know what to do if you could get past their things.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, same, Jade immediately appealed to me for having a lot of reach her moves and has usually been my go-to in any MK she featured in. I'm fairly casual at fighting games and don't really go to deep into the technical side of it, but even I can appreciate "press button -> bonk a guy from half a screen away"

Speaking of me being a filthy casual, has there been any word on whether they're planning on doing something like SF6's "modern" mode that simplifies inputs for specials? Because gently caress me if I can reliably do Z-inputs or full circles.

If she does make it into MK1, either base roster or KP2, I really hope that she is more rushdown oriented. I want UMK3 AI Jade stuff.

Also, I am pretty sure MK had a psuedo-"modern" style in 11 in relation to directional inputs. IE Back > Forward in place of QCF. Command Grabs were still difficult though with Down > Back > Forward Button for most of them.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Shinji2015 posted:

MK/NRS's default inputs are the simplified directional inputs like D, F, 2, and the alternative inputs are SF-style QCF/rolling inputs, but you're usually better off using MK inputs, especially on pad. Like, a B,F input usually translates into a HCF input in the alternative scheme.

Injustice was my gateway back into MK, so for a while I was using alternative inputs as a long-time SF player, but eventually I realized how much faster it was to use the NRS-style inputs

That's what it was. Thanks. It's been a minute since I've actually played an MK game since I decided to try other fighters after DBFZ. Should have still known after all the years of UMK3 when I was a kid. :350:

I'm very glad SF6 has it's modern controls because I am so god awful at it otherwise. I've gotten the directional stuff down, but for some reason 6 buttons to attack on a controller my brain just can't get together.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

CharlestonJew posted:

Put Deathstroke in but exactly the same as he is in Injustice 1, no changes

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Sockser posted:

All of his voice lines will be muffled screaming

Liu Kang: Are you with Shang Tsung?
Doomguy: *E1M1 Plays*

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

codo27 posted:

Who is everyone besides reptile?

Not really a fair evaluation seeing I watched it on my phone but the sfx seem very bad.

Ashrah is a demon from the Netherrealm (at least originally) and Havik is a cleric of chaos from the Chaosrealm. Both were introduced in Deception, and then other than Armageddon, never really mentioned again.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Allegedly, Shujinko is going to be a Kameo according to a pretty reputable leak on Reddit

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been a long time since I played Mythologies but Sareena's ridiculous halloween-devil form isn't a thing that was ever depicted in any of the games, is it?

Not that I remember. I think it is something they created for her in this game.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I'm hoping Raiden also gave Liu Kang the God of loving Up power. Being the Titan of Time and God of Fuckups has amazing potential.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Didn't Rain also make the mistake of giving Shao Kahn bad news in Annihilation, causing him to be hammered into a conveniently placed fire pit?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
D'vorah is the best NRS-era character, hands down. I can only hope to see her again.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Floodixor posted:

was there anything just about the base game of MK11 that really irked people? Like how is MK10 better than MK11 for instance, I guess. I dunno, I like MK11 a lot aside from the krypt grindy bullshit but I don't know a ton about fighting games like you guys do

As someone else mentioned, the movement was definitely the worst part of MK11. Being said, I don't miss the run button at all. The thing I liked the least though was that custom variations allowed for the absolutely most annoying zoner spam you can imagine. Genuinely unfun to play against Skarlet imo and I played Ninja Variant Shang Tsung that could just projectile parry.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Crowetron posted:

Does anyone remember how they've handled pre-order bonus skins in the past? Do they become regularly available later? The Van Damme skin sounds fun, but the kombat pass doesn't interest me too much, so I'm not gonna drop an extra 30 bucks on a costume.

I want to say they were available via time crystals in MK11

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PostNouveau posted:

Ooo, OK. I was only thinking of the ones that have been in demos and trailers, but now I see there are a bunch more on their website.

Still feels like they should up the hype machine though. We're like a month out and only had 2 Kombat Kasts.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
It's because boon hates pc players. It's the new console to him, and consoles are the new arcade.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Smoking Crow posted:

in the prematch conversation between li mei and liu kang, liu says that he cannot eliminate injustice from the world because of how it's made

This is why Liu Kang is a god and I am a poo poo

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Wasn't the original idea behind making the realms difficult to merge a way to slow down The Original One (or whatever) from returning?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
The only realm that matters is Rellim Ohcanep

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Evil Canadian posted:

Edenia/Edenians is now native to outworld as of the new era.

Now why thats a thing, who knows. I asked Stephanie(aka 16 bit, NRS employee) to her face and she super dodged the question.

Sounds like something that will be (hopefully) explained in the story then. Stephanie loves talking MK lore.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Nah, the ad sucked. Nostalgia is just a powerful drug.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Ferra/Torr rules. Best character added Havik.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
I thought he just wasn't fleshed out at all and had nothing to do with the story. Still cool though.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

PostNouveau posted:

I wouldn't even say bad. loving annoying to play against. But it's not like you'd say ah, Dr. Fate in Injustice 2 is a bad character because I groan whenever my opponent picks him.

Nah, Cetrion was a dumpster fire of a character from the get go. Elder God of Virtue, Life, and Light? Yeah, that sounds like someone that should be playable to start with. Then give her the most annoying moveset on top of that.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The Question IRL posted:

I never understood how/why Sub Zero went from a Cyborg to flesh and blood in Mortal Kombat X.

Like sure, guys like Jax and a few others who were turned into undead at the end of Mortal Kombat 9 turned back into humans because Sonya Blade kicked a Sorceror in the balls a lot. That's an explanation I can get behind.

But Sub Zero?
It really felt like....

Scorpion: Sub Zero? How come you are human again.

Sub Zero: Let me tell you something...it wasn't easy! (No further explanation is given.)

The MKX Comic explains it a bit.

Quan Chi didn't like his robotic body, so he created one out of flesh for him.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

The Question IRL posted:

But then why didn't all that ball stomping not turn him back into a Cyber Ninja? Another storytelling failure.

Because, just like the other revenants, he was purified. You know, like when you use a filter on water.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Or NRS just doesn't have great writers

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Wanderer posted:

They built up to a Raiden heel turn with Liu Kang as lord of the Netherrealm and then suddenly abandoned it in MK11 in favor of a time-travel plot that hit two successive reset switches and let them bring back a host of characters who'd been conclusively killed off by that point. If your two theories are "maybe these writers aren't great" or "WB made one of their studios do something stupid," I'd go with the latter every time.

After all, the writers have visibly done quite a few things right, because people give a poo poo about characters like the Kombat Kids or Kollector to begin with.

Ah yeah, kollector, the guy who was only in the game because he was to be executed when the time-quake happened and wasn't. Pinnacle of writing.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Annihilation was better imo. But only because as soon as nightwolf shows up, the whole movie goes off the rails. Fun to watch and make fun of.

New mk movie was just about some dude with literal plot armor for a super power.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

C. Everett Koop posted:

And 9 was a retcon of the first three, so my math holds up for the most part. Mortal Kombat stopped being about The Tournament a long time ago.

It's another reason that 11's wiping everything off the table was so frustrating. I don't want to go full fan-fic in here but the idea of an aggressive Raiden leading to Outworld calling for Mortal Kombat is a great idea but doesn't easily lead for new costume bits for pretty princess dress up.

A reverse storyline to MK4 would have been pretty rad. Dark Raiden leading Earthrealm forces in an invasion/war against Netherrealm/Liu Kang would have been a great way to continue the story of betrayal that those two had going on.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

exquisite tea posted:

Reptile is a classic FG example of having an outsized fanbase despite never being especially popular at any point in the series. I'm surprised that Kung-Jin is somehow the 12th most popular pick.

Kung Jin was easy to pick up. Just dive kick into 50/50.

Reptile required a bit more nuance, and IIRC it was only his variation that had the DoT Proximity move that was really played much at higher levels.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
Hsu Hao would have stopped 9/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Technowolf posted:

Is there gonna be another Kombat Kast (or at least trailer) before launch? Cuz we're only 15 days away and still don't (officially) know the full roster yet.

According to a leak of the YouTube channel, only a launch trailer remains.