Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sure, wanna go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Win pick.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatched it today. Definitely top career performances from Hoffman and Phoenix. I agree that Dodd is absolutely fascinated by Freddie's wildness, I think it's because he is honestly a total rejection of Dodd's own claim that 'Man is not an animal', acting feral from time to time. Also unlike the rest of the cult, he doesn't have any loyalty to The Cause as a religion but only to Dodd himself and thus keeps by his side and defends him even though he isn't receptive to the brainwashing techniques applied to him at all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

3. The Master's own codependency on Freddie is really interesting to me and I can't quite place it--obviously he's fascinated by someone who's like his complete antithesis and acts entirely on id instead of being stuck in this performance of a leading role, but is there more to it, does he want to fix Freddie to prove his ideas that man is more than an animal, or is he just fascinated with Freddie as he is and bringing him into the organization is just a reason to have him around?

Good pick, a lot to think about before writing a proper review. Will be chewing on this one for a while, I think.

I absolutely think it's a mix of both, I can definitely see Dodd being enamored of Freddie's madness but also wanting to cure it.

Also another later rumination. Freddie getting called on the theater with a phone was a really weird scene and unexplainable (how the gently caress Dodd knew where he was? Why would the theater staff bring him the phone?) and, thinking about it, I remembered how Freddie said his mother was in the 'Looney Bin' and how we see some of his hallucinations or thoughts like the naked women in a party, I honestly wonder how much of the movie was actually imagined by him, especially that phone call in specific.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The wrong guy was great, really miss when comedies just went machine-gun spraying with visual gags, not on the level of the Zucker Brothers classics but it still got me lmaoing most of the time. 7.5/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Just watched the wrong guy and agreeing with the posts above, I love a dumb comedy that is actually full of jokes even if some of them don’t land. Got the most laughs out of the small town banker and his rival

The big farmer taking over banks and shopping malls to build his crop plots on was a really funny subversion of the cliche yeah.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

herculon posted:

Hope you picked Speed Racer

lol i watched it for the first time back in feb

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

just kidding.

roth's actual pick is

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8lKCMIF4iA

This movie will expire September 4.

Gamera can be streamed on Amazon Prime or for free on Tubi and PlutoTV for US audiences.

lol hell yeah i legit was jumpscared when i saw the thread title

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rewatched Mandy, still as excellent as I remember it, people meme a lot about Cage but he is absolutely one of the best actors on this generation, especially when it comes to silent action. Every gesture he made, every expression on his face conveyed so much more than words and Cosmatos' direction really manages to convey the sheer strangeness of being inside a dream or ea nightmare.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gamera is so cool lol, Godzilla would have just let Gyaos slice those people in half with its lazer breath but he chose to shield them instead. The fireballs also blowing the poo poo out of the Gyaos ruled.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The SFX director apparently also Co-Directed ShinGoji and ShinUltra which rules

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Hell yeah beat takeshi ftw

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Alain Delon is such a cool and hot dude I want him to gently caress me and kiss me in the lips

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I watched it for the first time in February when I was spending some time at my Aunt's house and was bored out of my skull and the fact she had a 70 inch tv really enhanced the experience

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ddinkins posted:

Hana-bi was excellent: acting, pacing, cinematography, everything else. I've just noticed I haven't seen much of Beat Takeshi's work besides Takeshi's Castle (by way of MXC lol). I'm gonna change that

Watch Sonatine

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Plebian Parasite decided to change things up with this next pick

Crank (2): High Voltage - dir. by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pjrwpS0zE

Crank: High Voltage is a sequel to 2006's Crank.

This movie can be streamed on Netflix and Fubo in the US.

This movie will expire Oct 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpJvmJWEDEo

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Speed Racer was a lot of fun on a rewatch and it really is amazing how the special effects aged pretty nicely (likely because the sheer velocity of the camera moving means you don't get to linger onto them too long). I love the insane camera cuts and transitions from scene to scene and ridiculous scenes like the mafia guys bribing the viking races with pelts or everything to do with the fat kid and the chimp. John Goodman also really was inspired casting like people pointed out, he is a man whose presence really shines through the whole movie.

9/10.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

For some reason I thought the bad guy CEO was Stephen Fry but it was a completely different dude. His speech blasting the history of racing when Speed turned him down was wild as gently caress acting. That guy should be on more big roles!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Maybe the horror thing can be a separate event, a new thread were everyone can post their favorite horror movie and people try to watch as many picks as they can or they’re interested in, unrelated to this thread and the list etc?

Yeah

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crank 2 - High Voltage

I watched this movie in theaters and it was one of the first films where I whooped like a howler monkey at every insane poo poo that happened on screen, with my father asking me to stop. Rewatching it made me whoop like a monkey again, the experience of this insanely retarded movie still being the same. This is not an intelligent movie, this is not an artful movie (although the editing could honestly be treated as avant-garde) and the plot and premise is basically taking the first movie and deciding to make it from an over the top action comedy to a live action Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. And I mean, who gives a poo poo! The soundtrack is absolutely perfect for the high adrenaline and the dialog really made me think back then that this would be the perfect GTA movie (when GTA was good).

Five Charges on the Artificial Heart out of Five

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

High Noon was pretty sick, it really got me feeling rly anxious as the clock ticked down in near real time. wonderful soundtrack, the segment where it matches up with all the clocks was really great. it really does feel like an early revisionist western with this sheriff having everyone turn their back on him, and he doesn't even really have a good explanation why he won't just leave town even though its clearly the best option for everyone involved. maybe he really does just enjoy the violence. really glad this was picked, I would have never watched it otherwise.

I watched and yeah I honestly think that could be the first real Revisionist Western and if anything it goes against the genre conventions even harder than Peckinpah's stuff or Unforgiven. The Sheriff was really not just some Heroic figure but instead just a regular guy who knew he was way over his head but whose pride wouldn't allow him to back off, and the entire city didn't had a shred of sympathy or camaraderie for him.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Wait lol that's Danny Elfman's brother???

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Forbidden Zone

You'd expect Oingo Boingo to make a good movie like other pedophiles capable of kino like Luc Besson, Polanski or Allen but turns out they are pedophiles AND made a lovely movie.

1.5/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy poo poo lol that was going to be my pick! I watched Bacurau on a pre-release with a QnA from the director and some of the actors because it was filmed on my state and I really liked it and had a good time talking with the actor who plays the outlaw that helps the villagers kill the hunters It's a good rear end movie, rewatched it earlier this year too, but might do it a third time.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nah I got something else lined up :cheers:. I'll probs have to leave a NIMH review later, watched it earlier today but am tired as gently caress to write.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Secret of NIMH

I honestly think I watched this movie only twice on TV when I was a kid, it really didn't air as much as the other Bluth movies like All Dogs Go To Heaven, American Tail or Land Before Time. I can see now, this might be a cliche but this movie is honestly pretty dark for a kid's movie, with Miss Brisby's quest being to find help on how to move her house without endangering her sick child and during the climax you have Sullivan and Jenner getting some pretty violent deaths compared to Disney villains. It's a really wonderful movie, and I think making Miss Brisby the protag was rather ingenious, it is really hard to see widowed mother protagonists, especially on this genre, and it really gives you the mixture of fragility and determination that makes you root for her even more.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bacurau

I think this kinda hits closer to home bc while I live on a big city, my parents came from a small village just like the one pictured and it really does a good job st picturing the actual picturesque sense of community in those places, community that helps them stand together even when dealing with the total lack of care of authorities like the mayor or the outside threat like the hunters. notice that lunga, despite his violence and being a wanted criminal is nevertheless a member of the community and indeed readily agrees to help them as they can't get anyone from the outside to do it.

Another social commentary is the sort of divide between the northeast region and the richer south, you see that with those two southern Brazilians who consider themselves closer to the gringo hunters than to their countrymen due to this sense of racial and economic superiority between them

One director that has heavily inspired the movie btw was John Carpenter. There is even one of his music tracks on the movie, and the entire movie, premise and execution is really reminiscent of one of his most overlooked movies which was Assault on Precint 77th, and you can really see that DNA on the movie itself.

I do agree with the others that it does some meandering but I think it's mostly for setting up the entirety of the community which I think is important but there were a few dropped threads which I think should be picked on.

8/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fucker posted:

i did like how it had a sort of the thing inspired intro that looked like it was shot from an alien perspective, and then the "ufo" showed up later, but it ended up being a fake out. that was a pretty slick homage.

You should have noticed that the name of the school building was João Carpinteiro too lol

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 22, 2023

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rocky

Stallone really is one of the most underrated people in Hollywood, it was mentioned before but it is really astounding that this was his first script and his first leading role ever, and nevertheless it managed to spawn be one of the most critically acclaimed and culturally beloved and relevant movies with a legacy that extends even today with the sequels and spinoffs such as Creed. One thing that really struck me is the similarity to a Manga I've been reading rather recently too, Ashita No Joe/Tomorrow's Joe, both of them dealing with working-class, down in their luck boxers who nevertheless dream big and catch the eyes of veteran trainers who see the potential in them and eventually even get to contend with the strongest fighter in the world with unsurmountable odds. It is a very simple, yet very attractive archetype that can really get you to sympathize and want to root with them.

9/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

oh yeh rocky 1 was insanely popular in japan, like almost more than in the states from what ive heard, the ashita no joe guys been on record saying rocky was a huge inspiration.

nah, joe came out like 8 years before rocky actually!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

creed getting knocked on his rear end and instantly going to take it seriously mode is one of the best moments in the movie. idk creed is definitely the villain but he's also not a bad guy, just arrogant and once rocky knocks him down that goes away

yeah making Creed just a champion who thought he was going to have an easy time with an amateur was way better at grounding the movie than trying to up the emotional stakes by making him an rear end in a top hat that needed to be taken down a peg or something and i'm glad Stallone didn't felt for putting that on the script

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Collateral - Tom Cruise is loving aces in this, he really should play villains more often, really. Jamie Foxx also gives a good performance but it's Cruise that makes the movie. It's my second favorite Mann after Heat and even so it's a close second.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

moi country let me marry a 14 year old hon hon hon
                                                                              \

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Fifth Element

Besson is probably my second favorite pedophile director and this is one of his best movies in hollywood. He tried to do Sci-Fi again with Valerian a few years ago but it definitely didn't land that well because the cgi being everywhere was way too excessive and weird and while he attempted to do the same here, I do think it actually landed a bit well. Bruce Willis is really good in this and Gary Oldman is just being insane as gently caress. People talk about Tucker but honestly I think everyone in the main cast is overacting, including Milla Jovovich but it works well for them nevertherless.

7.5/10

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

elf help book posted:

Who is your #1 pedophile

Woody Allen

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Also I recommend Tokyo Godfathers as a Christmas film

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fungah! posted:

i'lll watch this ifyye watch bad santa

i watched bad santa once and it ruled, sure

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Bad Santa

Billy Bob goes so loving hard in this. Apparently the movie was actually pitched by the Coens and they got some guys to write the script and it got rejected by paramount for being too profane to the figure of Santa Claus and the only person who agreed to produce it was Harvey Weinstein's brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

btw i think almost all of Mosfilm's catalog are on their youtube channel, not just come and see, so there's a shitload of good films there to pick up as well