Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

watched:

The Master (2012): ★★★ ½
Malcolm (1986): ★★
House (1977): ★★★
The Wrong Guy: ★★½
Sword of Doom: ★★½
Pale Flower: ★★★★
Mandy: ★★★
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe: ★★★
Le Samourai: ★★★½
Hana-bi: ★★★★
Speed Racer: ★★★½
Crank 2: High Dogshit: ½
High Noon: ★★★
Tommy: ★★★½
The Forbidden Zone: ★½
Memories of Murder: ★★★ ½
November: ★★½. after penalty, Zero Stars.
The Secret of NIMH: ★★★
Synecdoche, NY: ★★★★
Bacurau: ★★½
Streets of Fire: ★★
Rocky: ★★★★
Collateral: ★★★
The Fifth Element: ★★★½
Charley Varrick: ★★★
Joint Security Area: ★★★

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Sure, wanna go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQgqE-fYyDo

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Can I pick obscure Shot on Video movies or do I need to stick to stuff more easily available?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

For now we don't really have any guidelines on what kind of movies should or should not be watched, beyond they are reasonably easy to find.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

getting my hunter license so i can access the forbidden zones where the cool movies are

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

maybe we can do a little tracker where people post their Watched lists after they watch and post their review while the movie is still active

i think thts the way to do it, update your first post with a little Watched list and a review of the movie as you watch em. and obviously talk about the movie in the thread

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Punished Chuck posted:

Made it through Enter the Dragon and the following hour after it ends without making Kung fu poses and sound effects at your pets or furniture, etc.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

startin this now. joaquin phoenix is such a good little freak lmao

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

well poo poo lol. gonna need to think a bit before i do a full post. good pick symbolic, now to figure out what i watched

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

idk if it was the movie or just me last night but it felt incredibly straight forward but im really struggling to put it together for some reason

100% the movie

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok. obviously this movie kicks rear end. psh and joaquin are so fuckin good it's unbelievable and pam from the office did a great job too. its incredible that this is all just an atmosphere piece, from the beginning of their relationship you keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and it never does, th climax of the movie is psh singing joaquin a love song lol. i kept hopin that freddie would get fixed but you cant fix whats not broken and he doesnt think he's broken. amazing soundtrack, amazing characters, absolutely incredible acting.

★★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

Last time I saw this was when it came out in 2012, I really liked it back then too but I feel like I kind of absorbed it differently this time.

I always love Jonny Greenwood's scores, he's really good at this sort of fever dream vibe and feeling of inevitability. Fits really well with this kind of story where the main character seems to get swept up into things and doesn't have a lot of agency.

Cinematography is amazing, some really great shots like the tracking shot where he's eyeing the party on the yacht in the background before he sneaks on, and that high angle shot on the warship that was in all the trailers. I love the staging in this shot so much, it's gorgeous

Seeing it a second time I picked up on some things I had missed too, I remember it being kind of disorienting the first time through. I remember thinking that Freddy was kind of a powerless character, but this time I realized that he kind of (unintentionally) kills the cult's foothold in America. Dodd has painted himself into a corner, he's surrounded by people who have bought into his bullshit so thoroughly that they behave like unemotional robots and he's realized he hates it. He's bored and restless, he feels trapped by the rules of the cult but he's the one who created them, so there's no way out without completely destroying the image he's built. He talks a lot about being rational and above the crowd, how laughter is an animal noise, etc., but when he's around Freddy he devolves completely. He's fascinated and envious of how impulsive and wild Freddy is, and it rubs off on him. He starts to get sloppy & careless, he starts having emotional outbursts and drinking Freddy's boat fuel booze. So he's distracted and probably drunk while he finishes his second book, and starts to make big obvious mistakes and poo poo starts falling apart.

Anyway I love this movie, everybody in it is amazing and it's insane that nobody won an oscar for it. 5/5 vhs tapes

i definitely dont think freddy's powerfless or at least if he is it doesnt matter, he exists outside meaningful power structures because he's a fuckin animal lol. he's a dog who only wants to get drunk and get laid, he doesnt need fixing beucase he doesnt think he's broken. if someone threatens his master he bites em. fuckin loved the scene with the master and freddy wrestling on the lawn because its 1:1 the way a normal dad in the 50s would wrestle with his golden retriever on the lawn. god, fuckin good movie, paul thomas anderson ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

Interesting interpretation, I read that part revealed by Laura Dern as him deliberately trying to make his philosophy have more mainstream appeal. His misjudgment was in how fervently his acolytes actually believe in his quack science

oh yeah i definitely thought it was a mistake, he doesnt fully believe his own poo poo or at least he knows on some level he's makin it up as he goes along, so he just hosed up. i wonder what the specific thng was that made him flee the states, its cool that we never know and that no one ever bothers to explain what DCF means.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Sub-Actuality posted:

yeah I was just thinking about this specific part too. I'm assuming it's probably their version of RPF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rehabilitation_Project_Force but I like that it's left ambiguous

that's a good point too, I hadn't noticed that but I think you're right

yup its just women and freddy. and the master obviously wants to gently caress freddy so

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my picks been going between speed racer and shin godzilla since sc64 mentioned movie club so i am unaffected. and will continue to be so

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I got the tude now posted:

my pick will finally prove my intellectual superiority over everyone here

itll prove something bitch

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Nostradingus posted:

I like when he farted, and later threatened to fart on someone's face. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

finished the master. crazy good. love how freddy and the master are just crazy codependent on each other, and they both end up worse for it.

i think the idea of freddy as an unwanting animal is a lil off. i think he wants more from life, which is mostly centered on the idea of doris to him. but hes so unwilling and even incapable of change that even admitting this was a struggle, let alone actually taking meaningful steps. i think this is why he was initially drawn to the master. the master is an authority figure thats actually interesting to him, and interested in him. and the initial sessions even where hes egging the master on to do more. he really believed that whatever the master was cooking up could change him. he wastes so much time on this idea and his behavior is constantly flipping between denial at this and trying to make it work, and anger when he realizes it actually wont do anything.

i think the worst part is he eventually did build up the courage on his own, when he sped off into the desert. but he found out all the time hed spent dicking around meant that the thing he obsessed over, the person he made his ideal of normalcy, is gone now. and then at that point i think he just totally gives up. its pretty sad. i think at that point he is more like just an animal, but its because he had something human and lost it. thats how i feel.

yeah thats true i agree with that. but i think he gives up on it before he meets the master too and the master makes him think its attainable if he buys into the bullshit. he's already lost it and deep down i think he knows that, bein with the master rekindles it but then that makes him try to get that bit of humanity back which means giving up the master. whole movies about two people who just absolutely bring out the worst in each other lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Keep picking movies with short titles so I can add both to the thread subject

adding the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford to my picklist

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i almost made this joke but then iwas like, 'wait maybe i should pick that'

lol yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

grateful they covered all the bases with this one

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

my dude. dont do this

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

since its 2 movies always on a weekly rotation you could prob save characters by just listing them in order. the first ones always gonna rotate out on the next monday and the second is gonna rotate a week after

feels more like a movie theater too

THE MASTER
MALCOLM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

trying to jack off posted:

my friends dad made the leather hot air balloon for young einstein

nice, who from

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

watched malcolm, solid movie. i liked the characters, th toys were clever and cute, and the big heist was neat. couple weird scenes like the red-haired neighbor just disappearing after she hangs out with malcolm for a night aor judy tryin to teach malcolm about sex, frank needs to chill the gently caress out in general, but yeh i liked it. ★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also its in the credits but people might miss it, malcolm is inspired by nadia tass' brother who had died a few years earlier. i really found the movie a lot more genuine with how people treat malcolm than something like forrest gump or i am sam

i missed tht and it adds a lot

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok finished house. holy poo poo thats a wild ride lol. the cinematography is nuts, the score kicks rear end. this movies evil dead before evil dead existed, i wonder if sam raimi saw it as a kid. kung fu ftw but also i liked all of em and how abruptly they all get picked off is sick. fuckin cool pick dingus. ★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also anyone who hasnt seen it this reminded me a lot of tokyo drifter, same wild use of color, some similar cues for cinematography. difference is the director here was clearly trying to make something he loved and seijun suzuki was 100% sick of makin yakuza flicks and didnt give a poo poo who knew it lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

the wrong guy was cool lol, never watched much kids in the hall stuff so i didnt know much goin in. good jokes, good mood, some incredible visual gags. him stickin his head in the water machine was incredible and the way he no-selled it. lot of fun, good start to monday. ★★½

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also 100% this movie tanked when it came out. didnt even make gum money

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

weird is better than scary

this. weird + scary though...

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

whew just wrapp[ed up all five seasons. he sure is a curmudgeon! XD

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFT083GhycM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

symbolic posted:

teh sword of d00m

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

it happened again

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok watchin chucks BULLSHIT picks after i read dandadan

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

dandadan is p drat good, this week was decent too

its one of those series where you cant believe how much they jam into one week lol, big fan

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ddinkins posted:

I wasn't familiar with The Kids in the Hall before watching The Wrong Guy but I still enjoyed myself anyway. Nice little black comedy. The running gag of the investigator being impressed with the air duct escape was pretty funny. Good quotes, too. "To the broccoli field, Jedidiah, and hurry." and "I fell on my keys!" I'd watch it again for sure

*points to calendar sitting next to wood plank and knife*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

teh sw0rd of d00m: pretty sweet. it makes sense after i've watched it tht its adapted from an unfinished book, it just fuckin ends with some pretty key plot threads dangling. insane ending though and the main actor is fuckin magnetic.

★★½