Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i watched these
mandy - 5/5
gamera: guardian of the universe - 3.5/5
hana-bi - 4/5
speed racer - 3/5
crank 2 - 2.5/5
high noon - 4/5
forbidden zone - 2/5
memories of murder - 4.5/5
november - 4/5
secret of nimh - 3.5/5
synecdoche, ny - 4.5/5
streets of fire - 2/5
rocky - 5/5
collateral - 4.5/5
the fifth element - 3.5/5
charley varrick - 3/5

Joey McChrist fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mandy rewatch: still really good. absolutely love how gritty and feral everything feels as the drugs take hold. cage at his finest

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (rewatch) - good movie, a pretty solid reboot for the heisei era. honestly i prefer godzilla to gamera but he's still a fun monster. gyaos was a great villain and i die laughing everytime gamera flies. 3.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

speed racer owns. finally got a free night so i'll watch hana-bi too

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hana-bi - beautifully shot. sad, bittersweet, depressing, funny. hits so many notes. i really enjoyed this. 4/5

speed racer (rewatch) - a cartoon come to life 3/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

john goodman is a treasure, i'm glad more and more are realising how good he is

crank 2 (rewatch) - the first movie except more. over the top and ridiculous. the kaiju scene put it over the first for me 2.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

elf help book posted:

crank 2 didnt work for me, i was on board for a while but after a while it felt like the hard pace gives way to take too many breaks for things like the nipple scene and chelios as a kid and venus doing whatever. i dont care, play more loud music while stupid poo poo happens, the rest of this sucks

after the movie ended and i had my tv still turned up, my xbox dinged incredibly loudly "PutridSack liked your activity" perfect

Lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

high noon - great deconstruction of the standard western at the time. loved the look of disgust cooper gave the townsfolk. marion aint poo poo 4/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

missed the tommy cutoff but thats ok bc i've seen it before and earlier this year too.

forbidden zone: fuckin weird movie. well made but wasn't my thing. also found myself narrowing my eyes whenever they'd mention "Bust Rod" 2/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

gonna watch memories of murder tonight. haven't seen it before but i've been told great (and depressing) things

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

memories of murder

really great movie. fosters a great sense of paranoia and has enough twists and turns to keep you guessing. everyone on the police force is an idiot in a hell of their own making. 4.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

November

overblown in the best sense of the word, theres almost too much in this 2 hour movie. wild, ethereal, darkly funny at times, and gut-wrenching at others. some stuff didn't land but when it did it really enthralled me. great pick. 4/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

renting it on google tripped 2fa and i cant remember my google password. -2.5 stars.

lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

big barnes & noble sale on criterion today. 50% off in-store and online through dec. 4th

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Secret of NIMH - solid bluth outing. i didn't watch this one as much as all dogs go to heaven or the first land before time, so its not as burnt into my memories. beautiful animation throughout as usual for don bluth, makes a lot of contemporaries from around that era look like dogshit in comparision. decent story, solid pick leadthumb 3.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

synecdoche, ny

:psyduck: what a mindfuck, god i miss PSH

4.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

STONE COLD 64 posted:

we still have jim gaffigan

lol drat

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

lmfao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

lmfao Michelle Williams revealing a full back tattoo and he just throws up his hands "well, I've never seen that before"

lmao i cackled

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

streets of fire

goofy as hell. i hated the lead so much, he's wooden as hell and fuckin sucks. dafoe was the saving grace of this movie. 2/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

rocky

one of the greatest ever. 5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

When I was a teen I thought the scene where audioslave is playing and they stop for a coyote was loving cool, and hell,

it kicks rear end, love that song too

rip chris cornell

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Fungah! posted:

moi country let me marry a 14 year old hon hon hon
                                                                              \

lmao

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

collateral love this movie so much. it just oozes cool and tension from every pore. jamie foxx does a wonderful job playing off of tom cruise's vincent, but cruise is so electric in this role you can't help but be glued to watching his every move. i really do wish they did more with the feds subplot i think it felt a bit tacked on, and only served as a sort of plot exposition to explain why vincent is doing this job. was pretty funny for ruffalo to just get blown away still, great movie, one of manns best for sure 4.5/5

also re: the statham cameo mann's left it up to the viewer to decide, but the screenwriter for collateral and statham have both said its a nod to his character in the transporter and they like to think its the same universe

the fifth element good fun sci-fi. everything looks so cool to look at, the costumes, the characters. loved deebo as the earth president. its cartoony and silly but not so much that its cringe. *todd howard voice* it just works
agreeing with fungah about knocking some off the rating because luc besson is a big pedophile 3.5/5

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

I got the tude now posted:

The protagonist fucks a girl who was literally born yesterday lol

hon hon hon

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

if you guys haven't seen mann's Heat yet please do so asap. you think the guns are loud here just wait until THAT scene

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Nostradingus posted:

Walter Matthau ftw

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Plutonis posted:

Bad Santa

Billy Bob goes so loving hard in this. Apparently the movie was actually pitched by the Coens and they got some guys to write the script and it got rejected by paramount for being too profane to the figure of Santa Claus and the only person who agreed to produce it was Harvey Weinstein's brother.

bad santa rocks but a coen bros bad santa would've been insane to see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

charley varrick

solid matthau outing. joe don baker was menacing af as molly. just a well built movie. i let out a ms krabappel style HAH when charley pulled the twist on molly and blew him up great pick!

3/5