Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I just finished 48 hours. I love that Tanith goes out like a punk in the intro lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Teal'C is such a good character that they ripped him off with Drax.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

I liked Cadet Haley's arc. We first see her and she's a stuck up rear end in a top hat; next time we see her she's part of a squad and into it. I think that's her only two episodes.

Yeah! That was fun seeing someone new be involved. Also the episode with those lower decks type guys who accidentally mess up an undercover operation.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

S7E6 Lifeboat. Michael Shanks gets like 5 alien consciousnesses invading his brain and has to talk with all the different voices like a DM.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

pixaal posted:

Is this the one with the line there's a democracy in my head or something? I think whoever ends up with all of them in their head says it not Daniel.

One of the dudes in his head is a king so he talks like an rear end in a top hat. I don't remember the democracy line, but I am simultaneously caring for my 1 year old so I miss a few things lol

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Til that the dhd has USB ports. I guess it does have the word universal right there.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

I love that RDA's love of The Simpsons is reflected in the show. There's plenty of small references, but it culminates in "Citizen Joe", where the actor who plays Homer stars.

And then RDA goes on The Simpsons in a pretty funny episode.

Pretty impressive that they managed to sneak a good episode into season 17 of the Simpsons.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

snergle posted:

thats what i mean by earth based. the language has roots in a language spoken on earth. like the first season he is always oh their greek or roman or mongolian etc and speaks to them in the modern / classical version of it. but then for example the unas that shits not based on earth so he has to learn it on the fly.

Temba, his arms open.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Wouldn't they be Goa'uld based language? Assuming Goa'ulds were responsible for much/most historical cultures on Earth, and elsewhere.

It was actually the other way around iirc. The goauld copied pre-existing earth culture to take advantage of humans.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah the Asgard did the same thing with Norse gods but they were chill obviously

Edit: lmao I got to season 7 episode 14 and I forgot that they did one with the same plot as The Core

Armacham fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 5, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

kdrudy posted:

We did get that episode about the 2 scientists, the one of which wanted so bad to be as cool as SG-1.

That episode had a sequel too

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I really like this, but it's an XCOM/Xenonauts styled thing. Same premise but more focus on the basebuilding and deployment

I absolutely love John Billingsly in this and it's contemporaneous with his Trek appearance, too, which just makes the whole character a cherry on the top lol

Also I really loved him in Man From Earth

Ohhh Dr Phlox. That's where I remembered him from

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

For all the jokes about humans being creative psychos in Star Trek, they're even crazier in SG-1.

This child race found a Stargate, and used primitive electronics (gently caress there were probably some vacuum tubes in some of the equipment) to brute force establishing a wormhole. They traipse around the universe with little devices to disarm the shield on their gate - and even jokingly refer to them as 'Garage Door Openers'.

I have some Joint Army Navy 12AT7 vacuum tubes from 1986 on my shelf, so there are almost certainly vacuum tubes in Cheyenne mountain through the 90s at least.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Hot take: S1E4 "Emancipation" (the one with Mongols and Carter is taken prisoner and forced to wear a dress and veil, etc), while wildly recognized as the worst episode of the show, is not that bad. It's got an interesting plot, it's neat to see a Mongol culture on another world, and, show-wise, introduced the general structure of the early seasons - Planet of the Week with new cultures and/or aliens, with awareness to a bigger storyline.

Plus I liked how pissed off Carter is for most of the episode.

It's not a great episode by any stretch, but its watchable, and having just watched it yesterday, enjoyable enough.

It's not as bad as THAT episode of ST:TNG

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

I'm watching the documentary episode right now. There are definitely some good lines.

Dr Jackson is going to die when he sees this!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-de...6key%3Dstargate

https://propstoreauction.com/lot-de...6key%3Dstargate

Jaffa, kree!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Scratch Monkey posted:

Did dr Fraiser ever get a love story?

Other than the guy interviewing her for the documentary?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKVVlFJ0ZdI

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah his website is amazing and I hope it never changes

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Speaking of Renaissance men like RDA, Don S Davis (General Hammond) also has a surprising background.

He was in the military during Vietnam, eventually reaching the rank of Captain. But he was really, really into theater.
He got a PhD in theater, and taught at universities for several years before getting into acting.

Check him out:
Don S Davis wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_S._Davis

He's had so many good roles!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lmao I never realized that they recast Dr Weir between seasons.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lmao

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Wow this planet independently developed the Kalashnikov rifle. Good for them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Lmao I got to the virtual reality episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4FGzE4endQ

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

McSpanky posted:

IIRC the graphics in the VR ep were taken from the SG-1 FPS in development at the time. Which was cancelled because MGM sucks donkey balls.

They've wasted so many franchises

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Right in the middle of my back swing

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Charles Shaughnessy as an early Elon Musk parody

Edit: it took 8 seasons for Teal'C to duct tape two staffs together

Armacham fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 19, 2023

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Is that the guy who was going to expose the Stargate program?

Yeah and then they take him on a little field trip.

Season 8 is weird because it's such a departure from the early formula but you get such quality character study episodes.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

Ugh weird run of episodes this. Lifeboat is great, Space Race is possibly one of the worst episodes in the season (awful plot, terrible characters, just weirdly paced and a resolution that's very hamfisted), Avenger 2.0 is fantastic, then Birthright which is just Teal'c being weird misogynistic when he's never really shown that before.

Space Race was like a side quest in a bioware game

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

devmd01 posted:

Lol at the x-ray character credit for shanks. This is the one where Vala magic stones into daniels body from the ori galaxy.

Carmen Argenzio is credited twice as both Selmak and Carter's Dad whenever he's on screen lol.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Claudia Black :swoon:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Imagine being poor Daniel and she won't stop hitting on you.

Yes. Poor Daniel

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

EvilHawk posted:

I kind of forgot that during the Season 7 episode "Grace" they encounter a vastly superior alien vessel and as far as I can remember it just... never comes up again?

Like this is a ship that seems to be well beyond their or the Goa'uld capabilities, arguably Asgard level, and uhh yeah let's just forget about that

They pop up again in Pegasus galaxy on SGA

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah no one would ever make a LOTR show that ignores existing continuity. That would be so stupid.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Yeah the first one is amazing

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I believe time loops machines are mostly accidentally made in Sci fi shows when someone fucks up there time travel machine. I guess the loop is sorta just a fail safe or unintentionally era and time restarts at last known good saved backup.

Accidentally pressing quick save right before you die

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

He's super awesome and talented. Before he made it big in Hollywood, he did all kinds of things. Was a mime on the streets of LA. Motorcycled across N. America. And was in a band. Check it out:

Slow Down https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fxcVy0NrTc

loving banger

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

The budget for season 8 episodes 16 and 17 must have been lit. They did probably save money by reusing every wormhole activation shot they've ever made.

Also, not again, Daniel. :cripes:

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

redshirt posted:

Siler is also the stunt coordinator for the show, which makes him extra awesome.

He was RDAs stunt double from McGuyver too, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCkPGEzoZns

I guess there is a demo out. I haven't played it yet.