Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i started trying to watch this and the pilot is so good for 35mins but some of the episodes are very poo poo immediatly afterwards. looking at the mongol episode and the heart of darkness episode. the others have been decent. so im going to try to stick with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ChairmanMauzer posted:

The Mongol episode is a definite low point.

it sucks because i was like holy poo poo mongols yes. Then it was a sexism plot when mongols were progressive with women for their time. genghis used political marriages to steal kingdoms. essenstially he was like hey bro i wont invade if you disavow all heirs and wives and marry my daughter. they do it. then hes like great now come help me fight your neighbor that guys a dick. then when the king gets there genghis is like hey go fight in the front line to prove your a man. they die from fighting or an arrow in the back and his daughter is now sole ruler of that kingdom and he trusted them to do a good job.

Rappaport posted:

Yeah. Snergle, I would suggest trying to go through it until the season 1 finale and the season 2 opener. That is where the show really kicks off and demonstrates what it wants to be, and does it in style.

I think season 1 has the weird Hathor episode somewhere, that one is a miss too. Other than that, it's mostly fun sci-fi times from now on.

yeah i plan to atleast finish the first season but i couldnt make it through tng

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i got up to the hathor episode. from the heart of darkness to the hathor episode all the episodes were pretty good. hathor is the 3rd worst episode so far but it isnt as bad as the heart of darkness one. the mongol stays in the worst episode slot.

but im sure she is going to be a reoccuring villian considering she got away to teal'cs homeworld

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 2, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I liked the Hathor episode even though I can see why people think it's bad.

"Girls Get it Done! (and Teal'c)"

yeah the later half was pretty good but the opening scene and her getting control was bad. once the girls got out of the jail it was all good. i think she might be a good reoccuring villian if she is one. they set her up as a sort of down the line problem or possibly mini boss before apothis

the first half of the heart of darkness one is great though then the last half sucks once sam is captured by her ex fiance. s1 definatly has more good then bad though

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 2, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
just finished the stargate malfunction episode this episode was really good.

the tolan episode before hand was also pretty good i liked the tolan and i liked the call back to the nox. i also like how all the "primitive" races are working together in the tolan episode.

the teal'c trial episode was the best of the season so far. it also had the funniest exchange ever i had to pause it to finish laughing.

hammond: the us military isnt in the habit of interfering in other peoples affairs.
jack: SINCE WHEN!?
hammond: since uh this administration.

wont be able to finish the season out for awhile though im definatly going to stick around for more seasons though

snergle fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 5, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

thats the strain

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Strain_(TV_series)

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
managed to binge a bit. the clip show sucked but was quickly made up for by being sandwhiched by 4 amazing episodes. i think sg1 is the only show ive seen do the dark reality right. apothis invading earth was handled great to.

i ended up slacking on house work and binged up to thors chariot finding out thor is a grey was really cool. then seeing him just come in and basically get rid of every goulad and jaffa on the planet in seconds. also cant wait for them to find out apothisis is alive since they are operating under the assumption he died. I do feel like they might be setting up to many future enemies. we have apothis, hathor and ra's son as gould enemies and possibly the tolan and nox as Frenemies

i hadnt read the thread before i posted this. the s1 clip show is the one im refering to. its just a generic run down of episodes in s1 as a reason to shut down the star gate program

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
they seem unwilling to help and slightly antagonistic but not in a mean way. like the tolan but less dickish about earth being a primitive poo poo hole.

i wanna see more of thor but if hes at war with the gould why doesnt he just walk up on on every planet and zap them.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i just got up to the tokra double episode.

lots of cool stuff happened between thor being a grey and now. nid have gone from antagonistic rivalry to rogue agents using their own stargate to do their own thing thankfully they just had the stargate for 1 episode unless they got tricked again lol. tealc made a friend in town while living kafkas nightmare. and the native american episode. i wish the mongol episode was as good as the native american episode. plus i didnt see alot of redface in this episode which was honestly cool for such an old show. jacks rant in the native american episode was :chefkiss:

also horus's son trying to steal apothis's son / future host was cool plus tealc laying the blame on horus was great. then sharay's gould not turning them in was kinda wierd but after the tokra episodes i have to wonder if she may be tokra.

also why dont they just triple tap every single person with the zat gun. it would be so much better tons of times they just leave dead guards lying around to be found and have the alarms raised. like when they helped tealc get his son back jack triple tapped the best friend of tealc but he didnt even try to be like idk where he is but he didnt triple tap the guard if he had triple tapped the guard they wouldnt of locked it down and he could of got out much easier.

plus i think it might also make the systemlord of the people they are triple tapping suffer mentally because you could start spreading rumors about deserters and it makes it less obvious who their enemy is. if they always only triple tap instead of double tap everyone.

honestly there were only 3 episodes in almost 40 episodes i didnt like. the one i hated and the other two were just lovely in the begining or end of the episode. the only other show with this level of ratio from this era or older is b5 ds9 and koth.

also i figured out how to tell if they are in an alternate reality. tealc has hair! if tealc has hair their in some super vr or alternate reality

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 11, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

McSpanky posted:

We don't talk about the zat triple shot anymore :ssh:

the triple tap is the orangutan?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

The "Right Turn" of space warfare.

i dont get that refrence

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Ah, old referenece. From these Clint Eastwood movies that also featured an orangutan. Named Clyde. Who would sit in the passenger seat, and one of the catchphrases was "Right turn Clyde", cuz that was the phrase to get the orangutan to punch, with his right hand.

Any Which Way But Loose

oh my orangtan thing was about that poe story.

https://i.imgur.com/5dCOZIR.jpg

i made it a url because its loving long and a derail.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

pixaal posted:

you mean war criming?

speaking of i just finished the plant alien guys who are the russian opera singer in powder makeup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVj0ZTS4WF4

also i mixed up the order of the poo poo i watched the nid episode was after the tokra episode. i think tokra was s2 finale(s) and nid was s3 e1. im on like s3 e5 or 6.

itry posted:

Don't forget Farscape!

cant believe i forgot farscape i love brian hensons work. i wish he got more non muppet work.

snergle fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 13, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Honestly, one of the best single scenes in all science fiction:

Jack O'Niell kneeling before a ship full of Asgard.

It was this humbling moment out of the blue that maybe only he could pull off.

He recognized what was going on immediately, and acted thusly.

is that the fifth race episode? i honestly think that might be their best episode ive seen. its the one that explains the 4 races from t hat one planet and jack gets the knowledge of the ancients who built the stargates in his head.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Yeah where he gets transported to one of their ships, and they give him that speech.

yeah that episode is some of the best scifi rivialling any of the big b5 moments

more then the ending is good to. the whole episode is amazing from start to finish. also it was one of their planets. i forget which planet they said but they said it was a planet in a specific system in a specific quadrant. also i hope i get to see the furlings. since we have seen nox asgard and ancients sort of. the asgard said the ancients moved on from this space im guessing its some type of ascension angle.

also LOL i just finished the michello episode. i remember when futurama had this big thing about the same premise and how they wrote a fancy math algorithim for it. sg1 is just like yeah naw you two swap now you two swap now you two swap.

snergle fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 13, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
im somewhere in s3. i just finished the bounty hunter one. it was a really fun episode.

back to back major gould deaths though. it basically went hathors dead seths dead chronus is dying / nefriti is going to get killed for trying to kill him. i assume hathor is alive though her death was off screen but they usually show the villian sneaking away in a quick scene. sett was just like smashed into the ground and they showed his corpse so i think hes dead dead

i really dislike the ending and jacks actions in the nanite learning one. yeah those people were hosed with what they do. but he took the kid against their will and against orders. then the ending was a huge cop out with the zombie kids learning to be kids. they didnt over night from infants to 5th graders w/o giving them nanites and the nanites werent given to them.

also im starting to realize all the "historically non white" races gods are gould but the white supremists gods arent. im sure its unintentional but like mix it up. like have a gould be pretending to be jesus and some cool hindu poo poo be another asgardian race for all i know t hats gonna happen soon though. im honestly suprised with how many iron age civilizations they havent run into a dark age europe one.

edit also i forgot about the spirits episode so i guess they have done that already

where the gently caress did tealc get that goatee at in the 2nd mirror universe episode. he went through the mirror with no hair then they bring evil tealc into the closet and good tealc has a goatee. tealc + hair man

lol reminds me of the michelo episode and tealc wanting to shave jacks head

snergle fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 19, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
not gonna click the spoilers. but im sure i could guess what a few of them are. yu was in the chronos nefirti episode and im sure he is the chineese emperor one. chronos and others are obviously greek / roman ones. no idea on the others.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

As an easy example of the inherent sexism/racism/isms of our institutions, I give you the fact that Sam gets hit on by almost every new professional colleague she works with. Name them, they probably tried to hit on Sam. Aliens, Diplomats, NID Agents, etc.

Now maybe its a TV thing, but how many romantic encounters did Jack have? Less than 6?

also daniel gets a new chick every 3 episodes. hes basically kirk but a linguist / archeologist who when the plot demands is also good or bad at math / other sciences

which makes his main motivation of saving his wife kinda sus.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Yeah but that's in the field stuff.

yeah i ment to contrast it with sam. like every person wants in sam pants and calls her the most beautiful woman etc but its done in an honestly creepy way, where as its just off handed and not thought about that of course daniel has a girl on every planet.

also every ex / bf / person interested in her is a psycho except for the mirror episodes where so far shes always married to jack. they have also been hinting at the fact they like each other but its against regulations.

like the 2nd worst episode is specifically a pretty good episodes until she has to interact with her ex fiance. the heart of darkness rip off in s1. the entire episode is ruined because they just go against everything they have shown you to make her essentially powerless and unable to stop her ex fiance despite literally two scenes earlier marching in to stop him personally risking the mission.

snergle fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 19, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

EvilHawk posted:

There's at least one episode you're coming up to (I think) where the natives are like super serious Christian analogues. Which is pretty fun, they're arguably some of the worst non-advanced natives they come across.

Later seasons kind of lean into that.

i actually just saw that one! it was kinda decent. and im guessing sokkar is the christian figure one from the spoiler post earlier. i thought i remembered the one where he was burning through the iris that daniel said he was egyptian but the closest analoge would be satan i guess he is full on satan now.

i also havent seen the ori yet im mostly wanting to see the furling since it would be the last of the 4 races. although i guess i didnt see an ancient yet either but the whole moved on from this space thing

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 19, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
holy poo poo. when nanuk took off his mask to reveal that he is apothis after killing binar that was such a hype moment not quite jack with the asgard but definatly equal to the reveal that the asgard are the greys.

that was a really good two parter to. they showed apothis escaping at the end but not sokkar so i suspect since they tend to show the bad guys escaping if they live then sokkar is probably dead. cant wait to see where it goes from here.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 21, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
two almost back to back nid episodes one where sam needs mayborns help to save planet and the other where jack infiltrates nid to find the sgc mole. i called the mole angle the second mayborn showed up though.

but i was so annoyed out of jacks shift in character that it really shows how much you end up liking these characters. braytack not being ready to die to walk the path and going back to tealc outside in the desala episode was cool to. i suspect desala is a furling or ancient though. im leaning towards ancient because leaving this space is almost exactly how ascension to an energy being is described in b5.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 21, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

alexandriao posted:

Part of the show's fun I feel is that humanity does actually make a sizable dent in the Goa'uld pretty early on. Like maybe halfway through the show's run they not only have permanently altered the power dynamics in the universe but have exterminated hundreds, thousands of goa'uld if we count larvae too.

I can absolutely understand why the Asgard were so drat impressed with them. Like this tiny little species who dont even have energy weapons, their weapons fling metal at the enemy, who haven't even got to interplanetary colonisation yet, is suddenly keeping the impossibly overwhelming goa'uld force on the backfoot after 2000+ years of goa'uld domination, all within a handful of months - years. wowee.

They barely have a space program but somehow they managed to blow up Apophis' invasion force?? lmao imagine reading that internal communique — it's probably the first time asgard internal security has experienced a leak in millenia hahaha

I mean sure part of that speaks to insurgency tactics but still!

in 3 seasons they meet and kill apothis hathor and seth sokkar and meet herutor chronos yu and nirrti. they have an almost 50% kill rate on named goulds they meet thats preety good.

yeah they didnt kill apothis sokkar did but sokkar also rezzed him and hes a problem again

redshirt posted:

Was the Sam/Mayborne one where there's a "foothold" situation? If so, that is such a great Sam episode.

it was infact that episode and it was a great episode.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i had typed out sokkar herutor and then ment to erase sokkar to move him to the dead pile only got part of it =x

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
out of the ones ive seen apothis sokar seth zipacana looks to much like musk for me to like him

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
the replicators are loving lego spiders lol.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Eeyo posted:

It always bothers me how the replicators/borg type enemies get humanized after a while. Like the borg queen or whatever, I didn’t enjoy that arc in voyager.

Another good example is the white walkers in game of thrones. Cool mindless enemy, but then they had to ruin it with the king guy.

That’s why I like the tyranids in 40k. They’re just mindless husks, they don’t need an agenda or motivations. They just destroy and replicate, and are inevitable.

i agree with you about the borg. idk how you humanize lego spiders but i think another good example is the reavers in firefly. they just come in and gently caress poo poo up and make more reavers by infecting their victims.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

itry posted:

Stargate is definitely not one of those shows where eveything was thought out ahead of time and someone with a massive show bible in a wheelbarrow follows everyone on set with it. And yet the replicators still make more sense than the borg.

the only show bible that ever worked was b5. sg1 obviously doesnt know what their doing from season to season and its better for it. i thought hathor would have more then 2 episodes her first episode very clearly set her up to be a later threat then she got iced in her second episode. seth was killed in his first one. the only 4 people who plot armor are the main cast. if hammond died in the next episode ide be shocked but not super shocked.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
tealcs blonde goatee is starting to bother me is it gone soon? he had it for like half of s3 and 4 -5 episodes of s4

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Leandros posted:

I'm pretty sure it was only s4, Chris Judge wanted hair and the producers messed with him by telling him he could only have that. Kind of a dick move in retrospect.

thats kinda hosed up. atleast let it not be blonde. also he looked amazing with that pony tail in the first mirror universe episode he also looked good with i assume his natural hair in the episode where the vr ai makes jack / daniel relieve trauma a bunch of times in a row.

the 2nd mirror episode where he just randomly has a the goatee as they bring the evil tealc into the closet to be replaces is so unintentionally hilarious

snergle fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 25, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

McSpanky posted:

It wasn't unintentional, that Teal'c and Apophis have goatees as a reference to the Star Trek mirror universe.

i dont think the ment for the reveal of good tealc already having a goatee on to be intentionally lol funny to me. its intentional that the bad universe evil people do thats a big evil twin stereo type. but go rewatch the episode. tealc goes into the mirror universe with jack and daniel he is normal tealc and has no goatee. they trick evil tealc into going into the closet with the mirror and then tealc kills him. but good tealc already has the goatee on. despite not knowing that evil tealc has a goatee.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
havent had much time to watch it. took me two days to finish the mind wiped slave labour ice planet episode. its the one that homer line comes from. i feel like daniel pitched the episode because he got swole over break or something. he only has a shirt on for like 2 scenes. was an ok episode.

the one im currently watching seems interesting though its about a conspiracy nut who knows about sg1

snergle fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 1, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Nice back to back episodes, total change of pace.

Martin Lloyd is a fantastic side character.

yeah i kind of enjoyed him part way through the episode the phone call and the diner scene were meh.

the jack and tealc in the glider episode was pretty good i was sort of expecting one or both of their "math" to be self sacrafice was kinda suprised it didnt.

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 2, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Wet Bulb Drip posted:

I never watched it. Is it worth watching now?

i started watching it for the first time pretty recently. its pretty good and not pretty good for a 90s show. its actually good. i will say that the mongol episode you should probably skip immediatly its that trash. the second you hear daniel say they are mongols just skip to the next episode. irc it was the second episode in s1. im in s4 and theres a bit of a lull but the episodes arent bad just not as engaging as some of the other episodes. although the episode i just finished up was really good and
an interesting idea so i doubt it stays in a lull for a long period of time.

the episode i just finished is the ao shin one. where they steralized 90% of the planet and they are star experts. so the sg1 team reunites to use the star gate to send a message back. their plan was kinda dumb though why didnt they all write a note including tealc who could of easily got his through the star gate before jack daniel and sam were mowed down. also jesus christ tealc was like 200 in that episode was shot like 30 times while dialing out and then took out like 5 turrets it was pretty bad rear end.

infact jack suggests they all write their own note and everyone dies trying to get his note through. i am hoping they will be like yeah literally all of your blood is on it and it be a sort of mystery they look into or refrence. maybe it makes them slightly more cautious.

snergle fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Oct 3, 2023

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
i just assume they got some universal translator off screen that works for most earth based languages because human aliens usually cock their head to the side then start speaking in english. so i assume their translator has like a southern accent for what ever language they are speaking. the episode where they are on the original unas / gould planet and daniel has to learn unas is such a great daniel episode i really enjoyed the eat no eat no eat no sequence it was really charming. not all languages are earth based so it doesnt always work

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
the two parter at the end of s4 was great. i love that they do a sort of movie for the final 2 episodes and begining 1-2 episodes of the next season are usually tied to that to.

apothis is definatly dead and replicators are maybe in the milky way but they are under the assumption they arent.

i currently have osirius and tannith as possible future bad guys dealing with tealcs mind contol as their current priority and replicators as a lurking enemy. i have to wonder how many system lords are left. of the ones we have named they have 1 left. there has to be more or replacements we will see soon.

pixaal posted:

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaan

KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

great we're playing a game toss the symbiote head

the best part is the semi reversal where daniel gives him a little debbie snack or something.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Tunicate posted:

According to the director in later seasons they don't have to work with languages evey time anymore because of little nanites in the stargates, now stop asking.

lol. i prefer my way. they have a hill billy accented earth based translator.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Unless its magic Star Trek tech, there's no way a Stargate level tech translator would work with brand new civilizations. Or heck, in different galaxies.

Unless you want to Daniel Jackson it and say everyone speaks a variation of Ancient. But that's a stretch.

thats what i mean by earth based. the language has roots in a language spoken on earth. like the first season he is always oh their greek or roman or mongolian etc and speaks to them in the modern / classical version of it. but then for example the unas that shits not based on earth so he has to learn it on the fly.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
yeah i took it the way pixaal / armachan said that goulds just steal everything and came to earth and were like oh poo poo humans are way better hosts then unas lets pretend to be their gods which is why the system lords are from all cultures / except norse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

I guess I am a little rusty on my Goa'uld history: Wasn't Ra on Earth for thousands of years?

If so, I assume there would be massive cultural and linguistic changes over all those years of living under a Goa'uld.

Also, even if on all those planets that humans got resettled to, assuming they all started with the same language (dubious but let's roll with it),
over thousands of years living in isolation or in slavery on some alien world is going to result in big changes in language.

All that said, I'm glad SG-1 doesn't make much of an effort to explain it. For a fictional TV show, it would be super tedious to have to deal with it.
But it's fun to think about.

i never watched the movie so i know nothing of ra but in the show from what ive seen so far is that goa'uld found earth and took humans at alot of various times but mostly around ancient egypt / china / greece and transplanted them onto various planets. i get the feeling that earth as a territory changed hands alot or was a communal host bowl. they made the jaffa out of humans. i dont disagree with the language should of changed very drastically but i just take that at face value for the show to work.

theres some timeline inconsistencies because midevil european christian village planet cant exist because they buried the star gate how did sokkokar get them. and also how are the ancients roman but goulad are the first chineese emperor and the gods of egypt and greece. considering rome is after all of those and goa'uld stole stargate tech. but you can make up some poo poo in your brain to ignore it. sokkokar flew there then idk forgot how to get there. and the romans just called themselves road builders after the ancients and modelled their language after them.