Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

Honestly the most unbelievable part of SG-1 is that the US Air Force is just and moral and not a bunch of religious fundies aching to drop bombs on anything labelled "not America"

TBF it's pretty consistently implied that Hammond is a bit of a diamond in the rough in this area, every time it seems like he's about to be replaced everyone's like "oh no, what kind of replacement are we gonna get" and that was even borne out in the episode "Chain Reaction".

itry posted:

Anyway, I'm sorry but that just happens to be how I feel about it. What do you think?

You are not the only one who must experience some discomfort, O'Neill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

They really should have made a SG1 X-Com game.

Seriously, what a missed opportunity. And MGM was (and probably still is) issuing all those DMCA takedown requests for Stargate-themed mods because of the games they were developing that ultimately got cancelled, so lame.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 27, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Sadly it's their job to touch the weird alien stuff on the plinths :smith: The huge cathode ray tube sets are pretty funny these days (Daniel's screen saver :allears:), but the show wasn't on quite long enough to have the kind of transition shows like :doink: SVU does. In the first season, you have the detectives answering cord phones, staring at CRT screens, and Munch faxing poo poo back and forth. 20+ years later and everybody's just using their smart phones to do all the evidence collecting that doesn't require the coroner or a rape kit.

I love that L&O is so old that in the first season they're still using blood typing and later DNA sequencing becomes a revolutionary forensic technology that's so new and untested it gets argued about in court.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Speaking of ludicrous, Earth by the end of the series was an intergalactic power with a fleet of FTL warships, went from zero to major player in the Milky Way while crushing the previous major player, in the span of a decade. All of this without the larger population even knowing what was going on even though Earth had been attacked multiple times.

They were going to have the program become public during the events of "The Lost City" but Scifi SyFy™ axed that plan at the last second, big mistake IMO.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

e: nm

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 27, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We don't talk about the zat triple shot anymore :ssh:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lol it isn't anything like that, the writers just decided that "three shots disintegrates" was a dumb idea and never referenced it again after the episode 1969, except as a joke in Wormhole X-Treme I think.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

They're Unas! I'm sure it's just like playing in a sandbox for them, nothing to concern your pretty little head with a followup episode

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Okay, but, Jack loved the space Nazis. Rene Auberjonois was very charming, sure, but still.

To be fair, once they had some solid clues that the Space Nazis weren't on the up-and-up -- as opposed to just Daniel's vibes, which while usually right, aren't evidence -- he immediately pulled an about face and told everyone to start digging for answers. Jack's not a warm and cozy Starfleet type, but his heart's in the right place and he never goes along with the Earth First realpolitik type poo poo like the Kinsey/NID hardliner types would have it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Leandros posted:

Fake edit: apparently the Aztec/Maya (ambiguity not mine) descendants, which include Tollans

"Tollan" is an ancient Mesoamerican word but the Tollans' culture is apparently Greco-Roman in derivation; "curia" and "triad" are Latin terms and "archon" is Greek. I'm not sure a whole lot can be consistently determined about their origins, ultimately.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

snergle posted:

idk how you humanize lego spiders

They found a way. Several, actually

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

I have bad news about Don S Davis from 2008

Has Hammond of Texas fallen in battle?

I know :smith:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

snergle posted:

the 2nd mirror episode where he just randomly has a the goatee as they bring the evil tealc into the closet to be replaces is so unintentionally hilarious

It wasn't unintentional, that Teal'c and Apophis have goatees as a reference to the Star Trek mirror universe.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

There's a man, he's bald and wears a short-sleeved shirt, and somehow he's very important to me. I think his name is... Homer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

I guess I am a little rusty on my Goa'uld history: Wasn't Ra on Earth for thousands of years?

If so, I assume there would be massive cultural and linguistic changes over all those years of living under a Goa'uld.

Also, even if on all those planets that humans got resettled to, assuming they all started with the same language (dubious but let's roll with it),
over thousands of years living in isolation or in slavery on some alien world is going to result in big changes in language.

All that said, I'm glad SG-1 doesn't make much of an effort to explain it. For a fictional TV show, it would be super tedious to have to deal with it.
But it's fun to think about.

The movie dealt with that, it took Daniel a while to figure out the people of Abydos were speaking Egyptian since they were taken 5,000 years ago and there had naturally been some linguistic drift since then (though not as much as you'd think, with Ra artificially suppressing the evolution of culture).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

All this theorycrafting is really amusing considering the show went out of its way to acknowledge the movie happened, from Jack saying that Ra didn't have Jaffa guards to starting with Daniel on Abydos and explaining away the Abydos is across the universe/actually the closest address to Earth inconsistency in the pilot to directly referencing the people/events of the movie in the episodes "There But For The Grace of God", "1969" and "Moebius" (among probably others).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

LOL at Teal'c going to see the Vagina Monologues.

It has been said that all of Stargate is a joke and this is the punchline

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

Once I went to the Renaissance festival and as we passed the entrance plaza once there was a group of dudes in tactical gear chatting up the dudes dressed as town guards. Everyone was giving them a lot of space and eyeing them nervously. Then I saw the P-90s and the pyramid symbol on their shoulders, and relaxed. "Oh, it's cool guys, just a Stargate team."

I love it when people do gags like this, I've also heard about people dressed like Starfleet officers treating it like the holodeck and WH40k Imperial governors of Feudal Worlds.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

I don't really care about the language thing, none of the mythology-related lore makes any sense at all, but this irrationally bugs me. The iris is the most crucial thing of gate travel safety, and it's wildly inconsistent in how it is portrayed. Of course the real answer is that no one actually wants to invest screen time for them to use the widget every single time there's a dramatic jump to safety to be made, but still.

But on the other hand, we got a cool scene for Rene Auberjonois, so I guess it all evens out.

When is it inconsistent? It's incredibly consistent, SG-1 is one of the most technobabble-consistent scifi series out there. For example:

Rappaport posted:

I was thinking of that episode too, but I can't remember what the technobabble was that the whoosh formed. The meteorite did something something?

The gate was still active when it was buried, allowing a layer of rock to cover the horizon like an iris but not blocking the wormhole from forming outright. Carter used a particle accelerator to vaporize a small pocket of that rock enough to allow the unstable vortex ("kawoosh") to form on the next dial-in, carving out the cavern that Teal'c then entered and began tunneling into the surface with his bottled oxygen supply.

The show isn't inconsistent, y'all's memories are. I hesistate to even call it "technobabble" because that implies it's all just made up on the fly, wormhole physics and gate functions are usually airtight once they're established.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

A gate doesn't need a DHD to connect an incoming wormhole, the wormhole provides the power. A connected DHD does give it priority if more than one gate is at that set of coordinates, however the Antarctic gate's DHD was damaged and nonfunctional from being frozen for millions of years. It was also buried in the ice for most of its existence; a fissure in the ice unburied it relatively recently. The Giza gate had a DHD until it was taken by German archaeologists in 1928.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That pissing off the Asgard tech operator because it's not in the approved uses of the teleporter will never not be funny.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's been a long time since I watched SG-1, but wouldn't that partly be explainable because the Goa'uld steal technology and culture and everything else, and aren't very creative on their own? Like some of the system lords are more clever and planful than most, but maybe that little bit of creativity is what made them rise to the top of the power hierarchy in the first place?

I should really do a rewatch - it's been a long time.

E: fixed typo

Yeah, I think it's a combination of this and their trademark arrogance -- the same reason they didn't start using projectile weapons or energy weapons modeled after the demonstrably more effective Earth firearms, which they are capable of making (the Intar training guns are basically that). The Goa'uld are extraordinarily conservative, they strongly tend to stick with what they know and barely ever innovate.

I'd wager Anubis only used a gate shield not because he got the idea from the SGC but from the Ancients, since his ascension would give him knowledge of their technology.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

It is, in the episode "200".

Also the changed timeline in "Moebius".

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

They're apparently a bit dangerous, the snapping-close effect gets really close to the actor's face

Their symbiote can heal them

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

When did Daniel or Teal'c ever imply they had feelings for Carter? That's strictly O'Neill's domain. There's deep camaraderie and friendship there but nothing further that I recall.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

I don't remember, but now I'm remembering that Sam stalker Ancient who becomes human, and then I think, later, comes back as a child, which was weird.

Yes, and mentions several times how he still loves Sam and is sorry he can't do anything about it because he's now in the body of a seven-year-old and it's weird for humans :cripes:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

You'd think, but this is not acknowledged in the show. They jump through when it's dramatically convenient.

It is, the GDO handles both the request and acknowledge signals.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teal'c: "I have heard of a place where humans do battle on a rink of ice"

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Alright, but what about Henry Boyd's team? The milli-micron increment analysis seems to fly in the face of them, erm, falling face-first into the gate at the first sign of trouble.

The signal analysis in that ep took so long because the black hole's time dilation was distorting the signal, usually they come through just fine? I'm not sure what the issue is here, except maybe Jack being a little snarky about the situation. (Jack, snarky? Say it ain't so!)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nvm

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

IIRC the graphics in the VR ep were taken from the SG-1 FPS in development at the time. Which was cancelled because MGM sucks donkey balls.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Look, if you want to get stuck in the dialing computer's hang-up signal while someone tries to not eat a lemon, that's on you, buddy :colbert:

If Henry Boyd's signal took so long to decode, it sort of flies in the face of everyone and their mate diving into the wormhole as soon as it forms.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

COLONEL O'NEILL WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Beachcomber posted:

Is there a human equivalent 'weapon of terror'? Something deadly, but mostly for effect?

Closest I can think of is Flamethrower.

Most of the terror weapon type stuff has been banned by treaties and conventions of warfare, not that they don't still get used here and there. Flame weapons/incendiary ammo against personnel, nuclear/biological/chemical/radiological systems, most weapons designed or altered to intentionally cripple, maim or blind/deafen against soft targets. Of course, most things get outlawed after they're used at least once.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

"Shock and Awe" ain't banned.

Though of course in that context (Iraq War 1), it was all targeted.

Yeah but that's a tactical doctrine, not a weapons system.

Thinking more about it, the closest direct equivalents to the staff weapon would probably be exploding and flechette rounds, both of which are banned by the Hague Convention for inflicting grievous and unnecessary pain and suffering.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

pixaal posted:

What about the bombs that scatter and when people go to pick them up they blow their arm off?

Cluster bombs, definitely super hosed up, but I was thinking more an approximate equivalent to the staff weapon as an infantry-level weapon of terror.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Now think about it, why would someone make a machine that loops time?

It's a time loop machine! Who knows why?

Are you talking about Window of Opportunity? They said why, the Ancients needed more time to find a cure for their plague.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Looks like a Covenant plasma pistol to me, but yeah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Ah gently caress I just remembered the twist in "Heroes".

Bummer.

When that episode came out I was really busy with college and didn't see or hear anything about it, including missing the first part, so the second part hit me like a ton of bricks. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ches Neckbeard posted:

He's the Miles O'Brian of Stargate. Still gate dialing

Siler is the Miles, he suffers in nearly every appearance.