Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Been on another rewatch since getting my girlfriend into it, just got into season 7 (she took it very personally when Daniel died so she'll enjoy it when she gets to it) and anyway discovered this thread existed so I'll post this that I capped the last time I was rewatching:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh man I'd completely forgotten about S07E08 "Space Race" :allears:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

In the first Aschen episode he's basically SGC's janitor, soo

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

How is opening the gate when anything could walk through and all that protects you is glass not hazardous? Why do they ever open the blast doors? Should be the backup for when someone shoots out the cams They even have cameras in there!
Opening the gate is almost never dangerous, it's when it opens unexpectedly that can be an issue.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

Zat's are held from the bottom. that's a bootleg Zat right? It looks more like a Needler from Halo
It's obviously a reused asset, but you could call it a prototype Kull disruptor

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Oct 26, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ever seen anyone need to reload a staff weapon or a Zat, though?

Kinda weird that no one else bothers to carry around the fully automatic wrist-mounted staff blaster the Kull carry, though. I'm late season 7 and they've gathered at least three of them.

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 26, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Siler is the Miles, he suffers in nearly every appearance.
In Heroes part 1 he gets filmed testing out the new anti-staff weapon armor plates, then later when they interview Janet he's in the background getting patched up lmao

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

The Genii use the Timecop pistol just like Soren does in "Icon" (S08E05 where they popped into a cold war but also there's a cult that worshipped the ring of the gods etc etc)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Remember the first Sebrus/Seberus episode when Carter hands a dude zipties to cuff his legs and he somehow manages to do so competently despite being from a completely different culture that probably doesn't have zipties?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Plus whatever you want to call what Osiris was doing before capture.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"We haven't heard from them since 26:30 Atlantis Standard Time."

the gently caress standard time is that, then

(shortly before Ronan's introduction in Atlantis S2E03)

stringless fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 3, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

That's why you standardize to the planet, it makes no sense to "standardize" to a different planet and then also have more hours in a day.

A Bajoran day might be ~26 standard hours, but a Bajoran day isn't 26 standard Bajoran hours.

Also there's the whole "24 hours is useful because it can be divided cleanly a whole bunch of ways" aspect.

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Also what's the actual end game of that episode there's a dude who seems to be just out there with full knowledge of the Stargate, Jack presumably also informs his wife, so are these two now just massive national security threats?
They sign NDAs and that's it, duh.

/e: i'm on the Atlantis episode where Rodney gets a mind-meld, I forgot how hilarious it was

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 3, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Exactly. Everything has to run on UTC (possibly adjusted to Mountain time for Colorado) for consistency, but there's absolutely no reason for "atlantis standard time" to have more hours and it's clear from the complete lack of further explanation that the line was written in solely to make it clear that they're on a different planet without any thought to what that standard would actually mean.

/e: They put less thought into this for Starfield and made more sense

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 4, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

I'm convinced they were all dumbasses on Atlantis.
They did put McKay in charge of the science stuff while he was pre-Stargate Atlantis McKay, you've got a point.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

McSpanky posted:

Read this post and find the logical inconsistency:

You can't, because there isn't any.
What's an atlantis standard clock or watch look like

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Actually it is. On DS9 they explicitly mention bajor has a 26 hour rotation and they standardise to a 26:00 clock. Odo explicitly says "at 25 hundred hours last night" lmao

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/280522/in-ds9-is-the-25th-hour-ever-explicitly-mentioned
Okay, fine, DS9 is even dumber about it than SG:A. You win.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Yeah I think the key is that he is seeing the hero worship of the Tau'ri as liberators and having flashbacks to the Goa'uld worship and worrying that they may have won their freedom, only for EarthGov to slip in and bind them once again.

The thing is, it's not a completely unwarranted suspicion. By the late seasons we have a handle on the Tau'ri as not wanting to bother governing a foreign interstellar empire, but like, at the same time, historically...

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Nah, exiled minor Goa'uld Thu'ban.

Arabian Nights, not Egyptian Nights!

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 8, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Don't forget the proto-Wraith bug in the "puddle jumper lodges in the stargate" episode (S1E03) of Atlantis.

Rappaport posted:

There's also the moon with the yellow will'o'wisps, but they just murder people instead of infesting them. I think it's also the episode that introduces Sam's protege.
Nah, Proving Ground (S5E13) is the second and final appearance of Jennifer Hailey after Prodigy (S4E19)

I think they basically reused the same bug effect in SGA S1E11, the one where they investigate a Wraith cruiser that crashed 10,000 years prior.

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 14, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

snergle posted:

im going 60% jack 40% sam. betraying 5 is 100% going to gently caress them down the line. hes going to be hardened and spiteful in a way a machine cant be. sam could of ignored the order and set it for the correct time or even argued but ultimately she follows chain of command most of the time and jack knows that so him giving the order is the main source of blame imo.
If the timer had been set as stated, it wouldn't have worked because the other humanoid replicators are already at it to stop it right as it goes off.

Granted, it's the writing, but weird how that specific part doesn't come up later when it obviously backfires with 5.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

O'Neill also calls himself Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise in 1969, then later in the episode calls himself Luke Skywalker.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah it's nowhere near as developed as Klingon because no one ever officially made Goa'uld into a functional or consistent language in the same way.

"Ka" means "no", "ka kek" means "lies", "kek" means "kill, dead, weakness", "mol kek" means "kill them all", "ra'kek" is the Goa'uld flashbang, "shal kek" means "dismissed", "shel kek nem ron" means "I die free"

stringless fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 23, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

snergle posted:

i also just watched it and i bust out laughing when the china ambassador says the chineese govt doesnt hide things from its populace. it has to be the second funniest political joke in the entire series right after the american govt doesnt interfere in other peoples problems. SINCE WHEN!!?

It's the best

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Only Skaara and Kasuf reprise their roles from the movie. The original plan for SG-1 was for Skaara to be on team SG-1, but Alexis Cruz didn't want to commit that fully. Dunno if it would have worked as well.

Besides French Stewart there are only two other actors that were in the movie and also later Stargate bits. Richard Kind is the translator that's miffed when movie Jackson figures out "Star Gate" immediately and asks "who translated this lol" and also a con-man in the Pegasus Galaxy in SG Atlantis, and Kelly Vint Castro plays young Catherine Langford at the beginning of the movie (and finds the Ra amulet) then in Stargate Origins she's some American Agent that meets that version of Catherine and admires the amulet.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

pixaal posted:

it tries to fly home without an FTL drive. Or maybe it's a slow one? I now seem to remember some kind of window opening and it dodging at the last minute.
That was the X-301, when it turned out Apophis had trapped his gliders with recall devices. The X-302 is only based on the gliders rather than cannibalizing two crashed ones like the X-301 was.

But yeah, the X-301 set off on a ballistic course that Teal'c estimated would take "several hundred years". As to the window dodging, I think you're thinking of the first hyperdrive testing of the X-302.

stringless fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 27, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yep, S10E18.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's a year in-universe between the end of the movie and the start of the show, and I'm pretty sure they tell Apophis about taking down Ra within the first two episodes.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Well, they were clearly already feuding anyway, lots of references to earlier battles between them over thousands of years, but in a pretty complacent way before Ra atomized and freed up a bunch of territory.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Stargate Origins is a short series that goes more into what happened before the main events of the original movie.

Stargate: The Ark of Truth takes place right after the end of SG-1 S10 and Atlantis S3.

Stargate: Continuum is after Atlantis S4.

Origins was a web series, the others are TV movies

stringless fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 30, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Yeah I'm looking forward to it. Just finished SG-1 S10 and 3/4 through Atlantis S2 (currently on the submersible episode)

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Unrelated, The Man from Earth is probably my all-time favorite movie, and on this rewatch I realized Stargate has two actors from it:

I knew John Billingsley played Coombs in The Other Guys, but also Tony Todd played Haikon in the Sodan episodes.

I probably noticed on my last watch, but also they're three seasons apart.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's absolutely intended. They did a darker version with Kavanagh in Atlantis (just recently saw the episode where they think he could be the Trust mole)

Like the only scientist almost-main character that really comes out looking good in the whole series is Zelenka

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

A bit strange how the resolution to that episode was "how about a bit of light and respectful slavery instead of outright genocide?"

Also it's got Michael Rooker as the commanding officer that constantly insists on genocide lol

S07E07: Enemy Mine

stringless fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 4, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Man, I feel like the creature effects in Season 10 didn't hold up even at the time, between the bear and the dragon.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

I don't remember a Bear

redshirt posted:

I don't remember a bear either.
S10E05 - Uninvited - wherein mysteriously violent creatures are slaughtering people on some other planet and also loving up Mitchell and Landry's little relaxing getaway in the woods.

It wasn't necessarily a bear to begin with, tbf.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

And it's only because he's too humble to lead that the Jaffa politics can become a major part of the story, for better or worse.

Well, that and/or he recognizes leadership isn't really in his skillset outside of the specific circumstances where he's the only one with the experience to pull it off.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 9, 2023

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

I'm halfway through Ark of Truth, and it really strikes me that one of the most annoying things throughout the entire show once SG-1's standard loadout switches to the P90 is that with very few exceptions they keep the P90s on full auto for no good reason. It's a short bullpup rifle that is only technically an SMG because it uses pistol ammo, but that pistol ammunition is armor-piercing, even moreso when leaving a barrel twice as long as the pistol (which was never used in the show as far as I'm aware)! Stop wasting ammunition! You've got 50 shots per magazine, maybe put them on target so you don't have to reload as often, which is the whole point of having a 50 round magazine?

Ark of Truth spoiler: yes obviously you switch to full-auto against replicators since you're not carrying shotguns

The most notable instance of the P90's capability in semi-auto in the show is, of course, the second P90 demonstration in S05E18 - Warrior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

(Apparently the Five-seveN was used in season 3 of Continuum so there's almost a connection)

stringless fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

There's especially an issue with Atlantis which I know I'm not the first to bring up. Not counting shotguns and explosives, they had to have brought at least 6 different types of ammunition:

HK MP7 (4.6mm)
Colt M4, variants thereof, HK G36K, Norinco Type 97, various machine guns (5.56mm)
FN P90 (5.7mm)
Beretta 92FS (9mm)
Sheppard's special .45 (11.43mm)
M2 Browning .50 (12.7mm)

If nothing else, they should have dropped the MP7s, Beretta M9s, and Sheppard's special boy .45 entirely to be practical and just use P90s and Five-seveNs! Now you just need 5.56, 5.7, and .50! The P90 magazines hold 50 rounds, the Five-seveN magazines hold 20! You basically get to freely ignore the "hey what is this, the 80s? how come they ain't reloading" complaints!

Belgium is never explicitly stated to be party to the IOA etc though so maybe that was the issue.

stringless fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 10, 2023