Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I was a Goff skeptic but he was at least better than Lance. The idea that Lance has some sort of trade value has always felt like copium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Trey Lance has started 8 games total, 6 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. His completion rate of 54.9 is terrible, he has 5 TDs and 3 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from, and his quarterback rating of 84.5 is not great.

Jared Goff started 7 games in 2016, which makes it a convenient comparison. His completion rate of 54.6 was terrible, he had 5 TDs for 7 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from but is much worse than Lance's, and his quarterback rating of 63.6 was really loving bad.

This is a very simplistic comparison but I feel like most of us were writing off Goff after his 2016 abysmal season and he made the pro bowl in 2017.

The issue is not just games played at this point. Yeah, Goff’s first season was garbage but he developed during the next off-season. Lance has had two off-seasons since his rookie year. True, he got unlucky last year, but he still looks like a garbageman after yet another off-season, which just makes it seem like he’s got no innate potential to improve.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Wow, surprised they got that done so quickly and managed anything above a 5th.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

32nd best QB lmao

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Papercut posted:

Taking this opportunity to laugh at this post. There's no way that my post could come back to bite me, on the other hand.

Well, he got 1/4 right, lol.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Considering every media portrayal of SF is like 5 landmarks at most, it’s not surprising they can’t make the South Bay work, but there’s plenty of cool enough stuff if you’re creative.

I flew into SJC last year as the 49ers-Buccaneers game was ending and it was a pretty neat sight with the lights on.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

palindrome posted:

Add a referee guy to the independent neurological consultant team, let him make controversial reviews in a blue tent.

“The ruling in the tent of ‘rub some dirt on it’ stands.”

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

One of my friends is legitimately trying to argue Geno over Purdy and I just can't, not with how he's playing right now.

In 2011, someone I knew in real life furiously tried to argue with me that Mark Sanchez was a top 5 QB and could not be convinced otherwise.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Is that person a mental patient?

He was a consultant at BCG last I checked so more or less the same thing.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

r/49ers calls for Shanahan to be fired at halftime if they don’t score a TD on every play but also criticizes him if they do that since it leaves too much time on the clock. I got Facebook ads for some Broncos fanpage crowing about they are the best team in the league and how Russ is the MVP after they finally started squeaking out some wins. The insane overreactions to a couple of games or even plays is wearisome.

I don’t think Pete and the Seahawks are going to win the Super Bowl any time soon, but over performing relative to your talent is the sign that the coaching is still good.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What do you think is your he evidence that they are over performing relative to their talent?

That sounds comparative but I don’t mean it that way. Curious on your outside perspective :)

I only watch their games against the 49ers these days, but my impression is that they have some great players but there are plenty of gaps on the lines. This season is let down a bit by the unexpected good result last year but taking a projected 4-6 win team to the playoffs and as of yet not totally regressing the next year is pretty good.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

lol if you didn’t think this was the kind of game where Drew Lock would go 30 for 40 with 4 TDs.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

DancingMachine posted:

Rams gonna be that "wild card team nobody really wants to play" this year.

If anyone on the Giants could catch a pass, the Rams would have lost, so that might be relative.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe the problem is MVP voters watch games instead of spreadsheets. Perhaps we should have a “Most Statistically Optimal QB” award for you and the other 7 people who care about QBR or whatever.

lol at the idea that the MVP voters watch games instead of buying into narratives.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The narrative this time is that Lamar is fun as hell and does amazing poo poo that’s unique in the league and that narrative comes from watching him do sick rear end poo poo in games.

I’m not against narratives at all but the defense “they watch games” is almost always meant to suggest some sort of expertise in and time spent doing evaluation, not doing something that literally anyone who follows sports can do.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m just suggesting that actually watching games, not in any deep or analytical fashion, but just sitting down and watching the games and enjoying the play instead of getting consumed with EPA and QBR and success rate and a bunch of other things is a very good way to understand how Lamar is the runaway favorite.

Fair enough, I thought you meant otherwise.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

It's sort of funny that the Niners either lose to the Lions or face one of the last two teams to beat them in the Super Bowl

If the 49ers lose to the Lions then go Lions.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

I don't even know why I bother watching sports anymore. It's just misery after misery, it never loving ends.

“Misery after misery” says the poster with the current national champions in his avatar.

E: do not post on minimal sleep.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 29, 2024

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Manoueverable posted:

Might need to check your facts there. In fact that game is exactly why I posted that.

lol I’m an idiot.

e: if it’s any consolation we’ll get destroyed.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Benne posted:

I'm making Buffalo wings. Sister is coming over with her son, who's around 18 months now.

I'm a proud new uncle who will teach my nephew the ways of The Run :3:

18 month old is going to be teaching you the ways of the run.