Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
hello nfc west compatriots.

this division is going to be bad this year compared to most recent years. I think. 49ers might be okay, but not as good as last year, Rams and Cardinals are gonna be utter poo poo. Only team really looking up from what I can tell are the hawks

lmao. indeed, congrats to the trump loving multi millionaire who called colin kaepernick a clown for protesting police violence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lifespan posted:

I don't think the Seahawks are going to be bad. They still have a lot of talent on that roster despite the clear issues. That said, I think they are going to be a fringe playoff team and part of that is because they play 4 games against the Rams and Cardinals.

The Seahawks have drafted the last two years like anyone should want their team to. Just knocking it out of the park, getting high talent at good spots. And drafting players who I personally was very high on. That's why I think they'll be better than last year, I think they've gotten more talented on both sides of the ball. Whether Geno can keep playing well is another issue, I'm not too sure about that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Manoueverable posted:

All told, this is San Francisco's division to lose and Seattle only has a chance if the Niners get extremely unlucky with injuries or if Purdy turns into a pumpkin.

Both of which could happen relatively easily.

But I'm also not sold on the 49ers o line specifically Burford and Mckivitz. I think they'll be a good team, I just don't see them being a better team than last year, and probably a worse one. But I guess we'll see.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

Can he run the jet sweep?

No but I feel pretty comfortable saying that he could replace Juaun Jennings and then some

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I love the fact that the 49ers just up and dumped Lance. Didn't listen to the narratives, they realized what they had with Brock and decided this is his team and Lance was kind of trash.

Not sure Darnold is really a better option than Lance, but in terms of handing Brock Purdy the keys to the team, saying very clearly that he is their guy going forward, absolutely love that. He earned every bit

Rotten posted:

As easy as it is to doom post on my Seattle teams. It is what it is and all we can do is either cry or lol and keep on buying $20 beers at a game & truckin

I think the Hawks will bounce back, and I'm betting the Rams do not look this good every week, but yeah I expected a lot more. I'll have to see what happened to the passing game since it really shouldn't have been that bad, and in the first half they were running over the Rams at will. Rarely do you see such a split in performance from first half to second half, and I'm really not sure what caused it. Was it Geno, were people just not getting open, did they abandon the run game, did they come down with team-wide case of diahrrea, what was it?

On defense I felt like it was pretty obvious: the D line turned in a massive turd. Run defense was pretty solid (unless it was a run for a touchdown lol), but the pass rush didn't exist. Unable to do jack poo poo against what will probably prove to be one of the worst lines in the NFL, or bottom half at the very least.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Papercut posted:

That post owns, take that victory lap OP

As long as it's understood that it'll be quoted again if/when the Rams start sucking lol

And I'm a California team fan, I love the Rams just don't see it. I feel like things went unrealistically well in that game. But would be rad if I'm totally, utterly, completely wrong, that would be the best kind of wrong to be.

And I have to admit they came out with real fire and fight while the Seahawks looked sick and defeated, didn't expect that at all.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Just Touchdowns' videos are really fuckin good

Yeah he's not pretending he could better, he's evaluating them on the scale of a starting QB in the NFL, plus explaining play concepts. Some of it can be a bit boring, I would rather have him cover more plays than spend so much time on each one, but it's good stuff.

I do laugh when he nags about his patreon though. bitch no I am not paying someone who made millions playing football

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Papercut posted:

Johnny Del's film breakdown is a lot more informative than JT's but JT's is fine

He only does 49ers though right? Unless I'm thinking of someone else. But I agree he's p good although I like watching other teams too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Absent truly incredible heroics by Stafford, I think the niners will dominate. I was impressed by how physical and inspired the Rams played week one, but the niners always play like that and might be the most physical team in the league. Unless I'm not thinking of some position group, pretty sure the Rams are worse at every position except quarterback, even though I'm a big Brock fan.

Now that makes me think of what the niners would be with Matthew Stafford. That would be disgusting

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Van Jefferson sucks so much rear end. Drops everywhere, running lovely routes to cause INTs, low effort, barely seems to care. Seriously, take him out. I rarely get frustrated with players but man he just blows

Apart from that the game went about like I expected. I thought the Rams played really well for the most part, but talent wins out and and the niners are like five times more talented overall.

Play fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 18, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Benne posted:

Happy first SOSAR of the year everybody :toot:

Niners Seahawks is gonna be a real fun time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

If it's the rule I'm thinking of, "crackback blocks" are also called for a blind-side block, which says you can't block the defender if he can't see it coming. I think of it as the the defenseless receiver rule, but applied to blocking against the defense.

Yeah exactly, some players do it well though because basically all you gotta do it get in their way. A little push with the hands, or turning your back so they kinda run into you, or just kinda of standing there in the way will all work without drawing the flag

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OGS-Remix posted:

I mentioned this last year too, but I have 49ers season tickets so if anyone wants to go see a home game, just PM me here. I have some friends coming for the Seahawks game but I can still probably get some seats for that one.

Hey! I would loving love that, I live up in Novato and was hoping to catch a game sometime this season.

I don't have plat but if you could share a way to contact you or hit me up at play.something.awful@gmail.com I would be super super stoked!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-salary-cap-space/1656252/

Restructure contracts in the current year to create future cap space? This is some twistedly brilliant bullshitting of the cap rules.

quote:

Currently, Purdy is the third highest-paid quarterback on the 49ers -- behind Sam Darnold and Brandon Allen -- and ranks 81st in the league at $934,253 a year.

lol. I feel like they could toss him an extra mil for the good work or something

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Flikken posted:

Doesn't he have to wait until year 3 before they are allowed to restructure/extend.

Yeah I think you're right. Bummer for him since it would be 2 years if he had been a UDFA and probably would've gotten a bigger contract in the first place if he was.

Maybe he can get a deal from a local mattress company or something

e: he's way ahead of me I guess

https://twitter.com/cyclonefanatic/status/1704138210643710372

Play
Apr 25, 2006

shirts and skins posted:

domo arigato play in novato

thank you for that little ditty

please don't come to my house though

JPrime posted:

it's gotta be short for something, right? Brocktopher? Brockken?

Brocktafarian.

tbc that's what I am, not his name. im just a humble devotee

Play
Apr 25, 2006

trilljester posted:

Fellow Niners goons, does tomorrow's game feel like a trap game? It's my birthday tomorrow and I've never had good luck with my teams playing on that day.

No it doesn't, the 49ers can and should absolutely dominate the Giants

And because I said that . . .

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What does at cost mean? We talking thousands of dollars?

Because heck yeah this goon would love to go to a Seahawks game or two :)

Setting up plans to go to the 49ers/Ravens game thanks to kind goon OGS-Remix, the tickets are crazy good so it wasn't cheap but it was about half of what it was on the resell market. Between 4 and 5 bills but again it's an incredibly good seat and a completely different stadium so who knows. Gist of it is though that 'at cost' for a season ticker holder is seemingly much much cheaper than anything you could find in the same area on ticketmaster for instance

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Not sure there will even be an entity that can be referred to as 'the Seahawks' after that. It'll be more like a five person book club

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OGS-Remix posted:

Just got back from the 49ers game, it was pretty fun. Solid win but still some things to improve on. I heard on the radio that they blitzed on Purdy 86% of his dropbacks and while he did well, I feel Shanahan could have schemed up some plays to just get the ball out faster so he doesn't get pressured at all. All in all a solid all around performance by the whole team. Deebo and Greenlaw getting hurt are the main problems though.

Deebo definitely has rib problems, I saw him holding his side and even after the touchdown, he was holding his left side ribs. Hopefully it's not a break, just a bruise. Greenlaw looked like he hurt his calf, he was walking pretty gingerly but his joints looked ok still.

I was whining in the GDT all night about the poor adjustments the niners made to the constant blitzing. I almost think that might've been a record for number of dropbacks with a free rusher against a team in a game. I thought Purdy did pretty well on those plays overall, he even made some gorgeous throws that didn't end up completed like the potential touchdown to McCaffrey. Or when it wasn't there he threw it away or threw a ball with a tiny chance of a reception but no chance of being intercepted. Main thing he did well was just denying the Giants a turnover which they were basically counting on.

I also respect the Giants DC for doing that, he basically said gently caress it unless we cause chaos we've got no chance to win this game. And it kind of worked, despite the 49ers still scoring thirty points.

But the lack of adjustment was real frustrating. Zero blitzes are great times to run the ball, since there will generally only be a single player in each gap, and great times to have multiple hot routes to hit free space the defense is vacating when they blitz. Or you can go max protect and try to hit a deep shot against single coverage. Too many times there'd be a 5 or 6 man blitz and no one had finished their routes or was even turned around to receive a pass before a free rusher was in Purdy's face. They did hit some screens on those plays, and the Deebo touchdown was a great example of taking advantage of single coverage, but overall they could've taken way more advantage of the clear and obvious tendencies they were seeing.

Still a good win, especially without Aiyuk which visibly slowed down the pass game, but could've been a blowout.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Coldforge posted:

Guy did just have some major elbow surgery!

There was a segment during last night's game about the new, apparently uncommon procedure he underwent. It was very interesting actually (it's all cg but if you are squeamish about such things maybe you won't want to watch this). I had a similarly uncommon procedure done on my shoulder (except in my case they actually used a piece of donor bone to fill the damaged space, rather than a strip of material to reinforce a ligament):

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1705030693426958543

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kensei posted:

I watched that last night and thought the same. Amazon is really flexing on the other broadcasters.

I mean the next gen stats view is so so good too. I've been complaining about how tight the camera is in the NFL for so long, you literally cannot see if anyone is open or if a pass is likely to be caught until the camera violently pans over. You get better detail on the pocket in the classic view, but for someone who enjoys the intricacies of defensive and offensive football schemes, it's so so good and I'm hoping such wide view options will become more common over time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MakaVillian posted:

Definitely the most inaccurate i've seen him be, but as Play said, much of that could be attributed to the Giants blitzing all the time.

Yeah almost all those 'off' throws (from memory, haven't rewatched the game) were high-anticipation prayers falling back with a free rusher incoming. First drive was a bit scary since missing throws like that is fine, turning the ball over isn't and he nearly did that a few times. But I thought he got better at handling the constant blitzing as the game went on, like the near touchdown to McCaffrey and the actual touchdown to Deebo were both those kind of throws.

Not that he was anywhere near perfect mind you, he definitely missed some throws he should've made.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Fate Accomplice posted:

it's not just the greatest individual play in Super Bowl history, it's the single most consequential play in the history of American team sports.

I'd probably choose the Miracle on Ice, third period when Mike Eruzione scored the winning goal against the soviets. Easily more consequential in just about every way you could think of

but I get it, if I was a pats fan I'd be living in the past too

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

I grew up like a 10 minute drive from what is considered the South Bay and live about 30 minutes from it now, and I can count on my fingers the number of times I actually went there to do something. Maybe a few concerts and Sharks/49er games? It offers nothing culturally that any random bay area suburb cannot fulfill.

If you're going down to the valley just keep going until you get to santa cruz/monterey county, basically

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Knight007au posted:

Go Cards (suck it cowboys) hahahaha

laughing so hard right now. honestly the best thing that could've happened with that game, getting embarrassed by the supposed worst team in the league.

Cowboys have a really good team but they kind of need to face the fact that Dak sucks rear end.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

indeed loving over the cowboys is something the entire nfc west can get together and appreciate

Play
Apr 25, 2006

algebra testes posted:

Man watching Goff play for the lions he seems to be going quite well. Is he just in a better fitting system in Detroit? What was he like to watch week in and out Rams fans?

He honestly played pretty similarly. The Lions are probably a better team overall than the Rams were under him, but he's still similarly up and down. If you can protect him, he throws an accurate ball especially against man coverage when he can dial into his receiver, he'll often put it in the perfect place.

But he has negative mobility and can be relied upon to throw picks in zone relatively frequently. That being said he was far from terrible on that team, there were some insane games in that span like the one where Carson Wentz ruined his knee and the 40 something to 40 something win against the Chiefs.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DancingMachine posted:

That's good because JSN looks like a very high danger for ending up being a total bust.

JSN just needs more opportunities. I don't think he'll be a world beater but he is definitely better than what's been shown so far. Too many doomed outside screens and bad Geno throws.

Stuff he needs to do better too, like catch the ball, but he hasn't had that many good opportunities sent his way

Play
Apr 25, 2006

algebra testes posted:

I cannot wait for the Niners/Cowboys/Niners/Eagles stretch.

i too am a snuff film connoisseur

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I like all California teams. My parents live down in SD now and I went to college in Santa Barbara, but mostly I've lived in Santa Cruz and the bay area. If teams from the two areas play each other I'll probably prefer the norcal team but every other game it's California against the world, baby

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Gauchos b*tch

thats right

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I think the biggest difference with the niners team this year is injuries. Last several years they started the season with masses of injuries. This year they are pretty much whole, and they are playing like the extremely talented team they are when all of the starters are in the lineup.

I personally have to eat a bit of crow. I didn't like the McCaffrey trade. I thought the cost was too high, and I didn't think running back was a position that made sense to focus on, that they had more important needs. But man, he is more special than I thought now that we see him running behind an excellent run blocking o line squad. Just so good at maximizing gains in any situation, doesn't make mistakes, rarely coughs up the ball, and occasionally puts in a really special run.

I didn't actually catch most of the game last night, only the fourth quarter so I'm about to start a replay of it and goddamn will I enjoy it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I was not trying to claim that this team is completely the same as previous teams apart from injuries. They are better and Brock is a big part of it.

But if Brock and a bunch of other guys were injured, it would still all be going to poo poo just like those years. They've been exceptionally fortunate in terms of season ending injuries (for ONCE), and I will be hoping that it continues.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

just posting to celebrate that the Rams got rid of that bum-rear end Van Jefferson.

and they even got a sixth and seventh round pick in the process which may be small potatoes but is a veritable feast compared to using a player who is actively hurting your chances of winning

mllaneza posted:

I like the accuracy on the pass to Aiyuk that came back on a penalty, that's perfect placement. Possibly the single most impressive play was the flea-flicker; that starts at 6:38. Not for Shanahan deciding to just style on people. Not for the quality of the throw. Not even for the player who was supposed to cover Kittle being completely fooled on the play. It's the steel nerve of Purdy. Look where the closest defender to him is when he releases the ball: directly in front of him and one step away. Purdy throws the ball like he's all alone on the field, and then he gets hit as soon as the ball is out. You just can't pressure the guy.

My favorite was the corner route to Aiyuk on third down for 35+ yards. Or maybe the deep in to Aiyuk that went inches above Vander Esch's outstetched fingers. Both of them show what makes him so effective: he throws with more anticipation than almost any other quarterback in the game. Maybe EVERY other quarterback in the game. And when he throws a pass before the receiver has even broke off their route, they are still somehow right on target. Which is a testament to his skill, but also to the coaching and the receivers who are running their routes with the amount of precision that requires, where he's able to know that they WILL be in the right place at the right time.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

drat, that one sucked. Lots of really terrible ref bullshit, Moody misses two kicks, but the whole offense played terribly. Hopefully a good lesson for them

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

The Rams defeated the Cardinals in a Week 6 NFL matchup 26-9

I was a bit nervous about that one, for the first quarter and change looked like they were playing it down. But they gutted it out, nice play from Kupp and Stafford and the defense really did it.

Niners I'm still a bit aggro about, the refs really did a lot in that game. Also friendship broken with Jeff Moody. I know that's not his name but Jeff fits him better if he's gonna be a shank artist like that. Really should have made that one

Play fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 16, 2023

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My preseason predictions of the Seahawks being the best NFC West team, and the division as a whole not being that great with the 49ers taking a step back and the Rams struggling with inadequate talent, are starting to look quite a bit better.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

The Seahawks are not the best NFC west team, and the niners and rams have taken a step back recently due to injuries. Your preseason predictions are trash ya dang raccoon!!!

ouch. thats hurtful

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I laughed so hard reading that article and then could not find the words to explain why to my partner.

I think the one that will really stick with me is 'woodhauler's rear end', which I will be accusing all my friends of having henceforth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

have to pass sometimes to set up the run

A necessary evil, true. But still, a sin. Best performed only by devotee flagellants of the run