Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

facialimpediment posted:

Once the current crop of old Republican senators retire, hoo boy their replacements are going to be chuddy as hell.

Judging by Vivek, it looks like we're going to lose a bunch of old grifters and conmen, and receive a fresh crop of true believers, and that's honestly pretty loving terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

pseudosavior posted:

Judging by Vivek, it looks like we're going to lose a bunch of old grifters and conmen, and receive a fresh crop of true believers, and that's honestly pretty loving terrifying.

Thankfully they seem to like to do crimes. We just need to set up giant honeypots to collect up the latest batch. I’d like to propose the Free
Abortion Kitchen Environment. Mission Statement, “to provide healthcare and food to the downtrodden”. All staffed with federal agents ready to arrest any protestors.
The twist could be it actually does healthcare and soup kitchens but that’s too difficult to do at the federal level apparently.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/RyanMarino/status/1696979343832916300?s=20

Hopefully de-scheduling cannabis happens

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It would be nice. I never used it till my early 30's when I was dealing with chronic back pain (and PTSD/anxiety but that's a whole other story). It was like night and day, finally being able to get a full night of rest without any pain or suddenly waking up with sharp pain at 4 in the morning.

Anyways, it'd be really nice if this happened and OPM tells contractors/agencies they don't give a poo poo about weed, at minimum if you have a medical card. I've held a clearance before so it's just mega annoying that my vape pen and edibles that I only touch at night and on the weekends when I'm not on call is an immediate disqualifier despite the fact I have a clean record and previously held a clearance. At least I have a steady and comfortable IT gig for now that doesn't seem to care so long as I don't show up to work high.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Crab Dad posted:

Thankfully they seem to like to do crimes. We just need to set up giant honeypots to collect up the latest batch. I’d like to propose the Free
Abortion Kitchen Environment. Mission Statement, “to provide healthcare and food to the downtrodden”. All staffed with federal agents ready to arrest any protestors.
The twist could be it actually does healthcare and soup kitchens but that’s too difficult to do at the federal level apparently.

This is tangential but wasn't there a huge anti-corruption investigation many years ago that nabbed a bunch of sitting congressmen and senators? I tried googling it but had no luck

I hope so

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is tangential but wasn't there a huge anti-corruption investigation many years ago that nabbed a bunch of sitting congressmen and senators? I tried googling it but had no luck

I hope so

Yeah https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abscam

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Milo and POTUS posted:

you're gonna have to narrow it down some

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_Five was the first to mind for me

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol I don't know why I'm surprised it's more than one but it makes sense

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/31/bull-car-riding-shotgun-nebraska-watusi

quote:

Police in Norfolk, Nebraska, responding to calls of a man driving with a “cow” in his car were stunned to discover a local man with a huge Watusi bull riding shotgun in his vehicle.

What the gently caress Nebraska? I have questions but I'm not sure you have answers.

No matter how bizarre an image this conjures in your head I guarantee you are not ready for the truth of the picture when you click through.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

bird food bathtub posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/aug/31/bull-car-riding-shotgun-nebraska-watusi

What the gently caress Nebraska? I have questions but I'm not sure you have answers.

No matter how bizarre an image this conjures in your head I guarantee you are not ready for the truth of the picture when you click through.

The joy of posting on mobile

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

There went the last vestiges of doubt that I might have had about whether we live in a simulation or not.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That's....not what I pictured when I read bird food's post Holy poo poo. :lmao:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

There went the last vestiges of doubt that I might have had about whether we live in a simulation or not.

I think I started smelling burnt toast when I saw the cow's name.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I just noticed the plate. This poo poo can't be real.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

facialimpediment posted:

So a J6 chud got the best possible draw of judge (trump appointee, coming in light on J6 sentences and bench trials). The chud promptly decided to represent himself, declared the whole thing to be a kangaroo court, and just got slapped with a 5 month sentence. Not for a conviction, but due to contempt of court, before the jury even came back. The case just wrapped up and the jury is deliberating.

The jury just returned a note from deliberations:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1697272689482682675?t=Rd4XN1PjYDNT9_nCxMCF8A&s=19

I don't think that's a good sign for his chances.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1697272689482682675?t=Rd4XN1PjYDNT9_nCxMCF8A&s=19

I don't think that's a good sign for his chances.

It seems to me that answer doesn't actually answer the juror's question.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

The Eyes Have It posted:

Chudge gonna chudge. As I was notified here, DOJ needed three tries to successfully get the dude remanded by this judge pre-trial as he called the pretrial services officer's mom and harassed his ex-girlfriend: https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/january-6-capitol-rioter-brandon-fellows-bail-revoked-obscene-voicemail/

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It's funny how, being a foreigner, it just makes me go "lol, america"

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

facialimpediment posted:

can a judge be held in contempt for not directly answering questions from a jury honestly?

Like if the jury responded to this with a note that said

"No, really, does this dude have our names and address?"

and the judge replies with

"They have certain information...."

can the jury compel the judge to answer or is it one of those things where when this government was setup no one would dream a judge would be a scumbag?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

The Eyes Have It posted:

Lol it most definitely answers their question, if you speak the language of evasive bullshitters. Yes, he does have that information (or enough to go find said information from other sources).

Oh but they collect the paper copy back after he has had it for weeks (months?) :nallears:

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Defenestrategy posted:

can a judge be held in contempt for not directly answering questions from a jury honestly?

I'll answer your question with a question: held in contempt by whom?

Inside their courtrooms, federal judges are basically egotistical dictators, with very few checks and balances on them. That's why their appointments run through Congress. If they're not outright breaking some type of law, nothing will personally happen to them. At worst, they'll get rulings reversed on appeal (if appealable)

quote:

can the jury compel the judge to answer or is it one of those things where when this government was setup no one would dream a judge would be a scumbag?

But this is basically why lawyers fight so hard over the judge's jury instructions. The jury is supposed to hear the rules of the law and the bar to clear to find a guilty verdict on that law.

And in terms of setup - the founders decided that a shitbag judge in the pocket of the defendant would be uncurable (better to let guilty go free than innocent jailed) or fixable on appeals. So judges take a lot of caution with their jury instructions and responses back to jury questions. Those items are super duper appealable.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
There is nothing chudgy or out of the ordinary in the judge's response. It's the standard worthless mealy mouthed answer every judge gives. If anything this judge gave more than what normally would be expected in a response.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

bird food bathtub posted:

All I've seen is the picture.

Until now.

There's video: (edit: a longer video than the guardian link, with local news background)

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1697035990609658292?t=JGr5wVo1YV8rkn_vJ5FOWg&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Aug 31, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I didn't know I couldn't do that officer

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't know I couldn't do that officer

I don't think my driver's ed class covered this case.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

That must not smell great.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
When art car becomes shart car

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Howdy Doody indeed

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

orange juche posted:

Howdy Doody indeed

with his butt of course

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Xenoborg posted:

Good lord, that was an entry in some sort of parade? I can't stop laughing. loving imagine the rovert galaxy brain it took to come up with this.

orange juche posted:

Howdy Doody indeed

I haven't laughed that hard at anything in a while and now my side hurts while still dealing with COVID god damnit :perfect:.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

It just keeps getting better :sbahj:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
if i had a bull that cool I'd want to show it off too

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

All I've seen is the picture.

Until now.

There's video: (edit: a longer video than the guardian link, with local news background)

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1697035990609658292?t=JGr5wVo1YV8rkn_vJ5FOWg&s=19

Should have been a Taurus.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I mean, the cow seems pretty chill to me.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
The shart car put me in tears. Good lord

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Also the faded POLICE lettering just reading LICE

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

McNally posted:

If you have a lawsuit against 3M because of the combat earplugs, it looks like the fight is finally coming to a middle.

https://www.wsj.com/business/3m-settlement-earplug-veteran-hearing-loss-26a3038f

3M's board has authorized a $6 billion settlement. There are about 260,000 lawsuits over this and while folk with more damaged hearing will get more than folk with just tinnitus, I think I'm going to end up with enough to leave happy.

You're happy with what, $10k after your lawyers get 40 percent? The VA has already paid me ten times that much as compensation, and they didn't knowingly cause the damage.

From what I was reading there's a stipulation that 3M can back out if 98% of vets don't accept, so some are saying it's essentially another stall tactic anyway because they know so many vets are gonna tell them off. I think I'll leave happy when 3M is razed to the ground.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I want the forbidden knowledge of how to cut tempered laminated glass that cleanly without exploding it

ahh I see now the rivet and lexan route.

I guess this guy builds stock cars

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

I love the bull's expression, he's just like "so what, what's the big deal?"
And the LICE seems to be intentional, since the rear of the car says the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Jimmy Smuts posted:

I love the bull's expression, he's just like "so what, what's the big deal?"
And the LICE seems to be intentional, since the rear of the car says the same thing.

...someone swiped enuf letters to make "Po-Po" ?