Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

The Avatar diorama sounds like a great idea! Do you guys know where i can get some cheap disposable space marine epic scale stuff? Or maybe an epic sized chaos demon?

Legions Imperialis is just around the corner, so epic-scale marines are coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jack B Nimble posted:

I bought thirty Bolt Action French Infantry because it was sixty bucks for thirty, we'll see what they offer as far as conversions; the models will be less exaggerated so it may noy work great, but whej your guard army theme is Interwar era France not try the french historical models. I also bought three of the exaggerated "Meng Toon Tanks" Char B1, also a French tank, to use as sponsonless Leman Russ proxies.
And if they don't work out you could try Wargames Atlantic's Grognards.

jassi007 posted:

I wonder if some madlad has ever used necromunda models to make guard squads, could make them a penal legion or something crazy like that. Eschers have lasguns, special weapons etc. Might be tricky for heavy weapons but I'm sure it could be done.

Cooked Auto posted:

I know one goon used Eschers to make female troopers in the past, so it's been done at least. Think I've seen Van Saar being used as well in the past elsewhere.
I know someone's used Van Saars as the basis for Gue'Vesa. And I'm fiarly certain I saw some Delaque GSC online too.

I'm sure somebody's also used Ironhead Squats for a Votann army.

I've kidn of wondered about using Van Saars not as Gue'vesa but as basically not-Tau, some enclave that has enough working STCs their tech's about at parity, just using Ash-Jumpers as Crisis Suit analogues.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

They've got WW1 British infantry as well if you want to do Roane Deepers or similar. As well as WW1/2 French Infantry.
But for those you're going to do jump through some extra hoops for rifles.

But...the Grognards and Bulldogs already exist? Why faff about with converting their historicals when they already have minis that would work? Just use the brodie helmets and paint them an appropiate colour and the Bulldogs can be Deepers as easily as they could be Praetorians.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jack B Nimble posted:

The grognards are Napoleonic French and the Bulldogs are Victorian British, when I want Battle of France era French. So that's why for me, personally.

My plan is to convert the actual non lasguns, as in I'll use spares to model everything that isn't a las gun, and then if you see a Berthier bolt action rifle or whatever, yeah that's a las gun. I might look into chopping the bolt action rifles down into carbines if it's not a lot of work.
Actually, they're meant to represent a hybrid of multiple eras. Les Grognards are Napoleonic/WWI (which I guess could work for the Interwar/early WW2 era too)/Vietnam-era Foreign Legionaries, while the Bulldogs are Victorian/WWI/Paras, it's why they have multiple different head options with enough for the whole squad. There's (albeit only one, which is an oversight IMO) a Bulldog painted up as a WWI Tommy on their store page to show what that might look like. i feel like the Grognards were acutally meant to be proxies for plastic Krieg before GW actually went and made them a reality.

And...Cooked Auto beat me to the punch.

Edit: I guess you could see if their upgrade sprue works on your models, if they don't class too much with your existing aesthetic. Granted the helmets won't work, but the guns might. It could save on unnecessary work.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 8, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

Still got it. :ocelot:

Although I think I still prefer the look of the WW1 British over the Bulldogs.
Like if I really wanted to make Roane Deepers I would've gone for those and just swapped out the arms, they have the same stripped down look like the Roane art has.
The Bulldogs are too blingy.

I don't think there's been any actual art of the Deepers, has there? It looks like it's just been fanart.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

JBP posted:

Chaosing up 30k special terminators would be better than the abominations (in a bad way) that are the eightbound.

Basically all the red butcher minis would need is the correct logos and away they go. Give me sleek phoenix terminators twisted and hosed up but still very much the same vibe and I'll buy them all.

I wonder if they have done that specifically to prevent people from using 40K stuff in 30k, like they removed the rules for Tartaros Sekhmet terminators.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Speaking of the preview, they're doing rules for a Vanguard Space Marines Combat Patrol in the next White Dwarf.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Froghammer posted:

The Dark Krakens are surprisingly popular given that they're just a single paragraph of lore and a paint scheme from the 9th edition Marine codex

Although it is a rad paint scheme

They got some focus in an issue or two of WD a while back.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I just want a loving regular-rear end Land Raider.

Is a Proteus acceptable? It has all the options a regular 40K one does.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

The only reason I haven't just done that is for silly ~~~LORE~~~ reasons because I want it for my Grey Knights and it feels weird to give them Heresy-era tech when they were still in the warp and I should just loving get over it and buy the kit that is actually available for purchase. If it was for my BA successor chapter I wouldn't hesitate but here I am being kind of a dummy for Reasons.
I mean, they could have reclaimed it from another battlefield. Maybe it belonged to a loyalist chapter that inherited it but their forces got wiped out by the forces of the Great Enemy, and it pulled a Rynn's Might and kept fighting until the GKs got there, and then since the original chapter got wiped out the GKs sanctifed it and added it to their arsenal? IIRC isn't one detail some GKs do is honour allied forces they fought alongside by incorporating their heraldy? So you could have the original Chapter's logo somewhere to represent its prior allegiance.

Or just point to the lore bit where Titan was already stocked with materiel when the recruits got there and justify it that way.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I'd never heard the reclamation and resanctification thing before, that's really cool (I really should get around to reading some of the GK novels) but also reading the wiki details about the Proteus, it wouldn't be unreasonable for them to have it at all, as you say, Titan being stocked at the onset makes a lot of sense too. Welp, guess that will be the next big purchase, because goddamn do GKs need anti-tank.

That's not an official thing, IIRC, I was just spitballing, but you can use the idea no problem.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cease to Hope posted:

the best lore is made up
:hmmyes:

The 'Titan was fully stocked before it took a vacation from the material universe during the seige' is actual GW canon, though.

But then again:

Lostconfused posted:

That's because all lore is made up.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

jadebullet posted:

I got mine from this website. They are the OOP FW heads. They ship from Ukraine but the shipping to the US wasn't bad ($8). Took two or three weeks to arrive. Quality was good, no mold slipping.

I'm using them for my Celestial Lions Crusader Squads to represent human auxiliaries in power armor fighting alongside the depleted chapter.

https://blacklegionmarket.co/product/stormcast-eternals-heads-upgrade-set-2/

Sounds great, but why stop at auxiliaries? Just have some Apothecary press the 'Female Space Marines' button. What's the Inquisition gonna do, purge them even harder?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Necromunda Goliaths?

They're basically the same size or bigger than the Orks, though.

Ash Waste Nomads are ragged, but they're not 'Ork hangers on' ragged.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ashcans posted:

The Celestial Lions don’t have any surviving Apothecaries, and can’t create any new Marines, short of convincing another chapter to essentially adopt them for rebuilding.

Auxiliaries are also a nice nod to the fluff that the remaining lions led the survivors of Helsreach Hive to defeat the Ork war boss that killed their chapter master.

I mean I presume they’ve trained some more, between the Black Templars Grimaldus sent back to Elysium and the help they got from their bros in the Emperor’s Spears, both of whom kind of did that exact thing. If you haven’t read it yet check out Spear of the Emperor.

But auxiliaries as a source for recruits could work.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bohemian Nights posted:

Are 3d printers good enough now that I could get someone to print out a bunch of beakie heads for me, and not have my brain worms greatly disturbed by that weird jagged layering that most 3d printed stuff gets?

Buying the raven guard upgrade kit for the 2x corvus helmets inside, unsustainable in the long, middle and short run

I mean you could just check eBay because it's likely to be awash with MkVI helmets from Horus Heresy sprues. Or if there's anyone who plays it in your local area.

Or if you're actually playing Raven Guard, they do a resin MkVI upgrade kit for HH that's all-beakie, all the time.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 19, 2024

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

I am proud to present, my mound of pride, my trove of opportunity, my entire 100% completed Tyranid army.

Despair, for HIVE FLEET ALSAQR is here!

They look amazing!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

ro5s posted:

failing to suppress a fit of giggles is a new expression for space marines

Clearly he's dictating the terms of surrender to the poor beakie on the other end of his call, hence the contempt.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Cooked Auto posted:

Although it wouldn't surprise me if GW has a new Land Raider model lying in wait in their model archives and they'll pop it out once they've determined the breaking point for the current ones.

Or for the 11th ed Space Marine codex. :v:

I mean they just put out a new Land Raider model, it’s just it’s the 30k version.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I'm building a Land Raider Proteus for my Grey Knights and I'm wondering if anyone makes bits that I can add onto it to make it look more Grey Knights-y. Google is failing me on this count, does anyone here know of any sources for it?

Couldn't you use some of the back banner bits or the banner topper from Paladins as reliquaries, perhaps?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

rantmo posted:

I suppose I could stick a book or two on it from the Paladin kit, I'll take a look when it's all built to see if there's a spot that works. I'd love, like, the flat ornaments that the Baal Predator had, or even that the Proteus has but are HH specific. Hell, I'd take some transfers at this point but even with that, the only one I can find is on Etsy and ships from the Netherlands (I'm in the US) and I just don't know that it's worth all that hassle.

I think you could actually modify some of those Paladin back ornaments into the flat ones you're looking for. Obviously not all of them, but certainly some.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Frog Act posted:

Appreciate the answers! I have a vague idea for an army led by a Rogue Trader who leads an isolated dynasty that has become a bit inclusive and esoteric over the course of the last millennia where the system was inaccessible, thus justifying some Ork mercenaries and maybe another Xeno or two as well as the not-Chaos cultists who I think of as a tribe of guys from the highlands with an animist type religion that is semiotically similar to Chaos but isn’t since I don’t have the skills to buff out the symbols and replace them with something new. Seems like that’d require some squishing to make work as an actual army - probably need a bunch of guard and some marines or whatever - but just in terms of assembling a thematically consistent, plausible thing, is doable.

I really like a lot of Necromunda models too, was thinking the Enforcers would be a good alternative to Arbites since the latter is zealously devoted to interpreting imperial law and a PDF-style police force would make more sense for a quasi-independent entity only barely affiliated with the imperium

Aside from the suggestion’s everyone else has provided, the next issue of White Dwarf will have Combat Patrol rules for a combined force of the Starstriders and Imperial Navy Breachers.Of course this does also mean that you can only play against other Combat Patrols (it’s a game mode which uses pre-built forces) but it’s also a good starting point if you’re getting back into the game. Then you can bring your other ideas into your larger 40K force.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nessus posted:

As I enter the end stages of building this combat patrol box, I wanted to ask what the recommendation would be for which of the Marine boxes to obtain. The generic brand Space Marine was... underwhelming, although I suspect it might still be a money saver with the two champion units. However, I'm not sure how deeply committed the various boxes are to the specific fluff of those armies, and there are like four. Advice welcome on the best bargain/most flexible choice.

I mean aside from the existing Combat Patrols, you could also get the Vanguard Strike Force box and a Phobos librarian for the vanguard combat patrol that came out n White Dwarf, but I don’t know how it stacks up against the other Space Marines combat patrols. It would come in at more expensive since you’d need to get the White Dwarf and Librarian separately at least.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

a pale ghost posted:

Any tips for a guard army on a budget?

There's a couple of third-party companies that do Guardsmen minis for cheaper than GW. I think the two that immediately come to mind are Wargames Atlantic and Mantic. Obviously they're not 1:1 to Cadians but it wouldn't hurt to give them a look.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

If you have a mind to, you've already got a Militia list.

Vostroyans seem perfect for the provinces Armory of Old Night and Warrior Ellie. The models are basically in carapace and have lasrifles (instead of lasguns).

Plus there's something extra tragic in being Vostroyans that were committed to the Heresy - and then forgotten so hard that their homeworld still pays the price.

It's my understanding that every world was required to provide forces for the Crusade, it's just Guilliman was asking for additional forces given the whole traitorous tomfoolery going on that the Vostroyans refused to provide. So there's nothing saying Vostroyans weren't already involved.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

StashAugustine posted:

Lore nerd question: what does heraldry for vanguard space marines look like

They more or less look like all the other space marines?

I don’t think they have any particular unique colours or markings (except the Hounds of Morkai). But ultimately they’re your models so it’s really your decision. I know some people paint the vanguard marines in camouflage for example.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

If you replace the back tires with tank tracks, you've gotten most of the way to a WW2 troop transport, but I'm not sure if ork trukks still carry passengers in that role.

Noted doctrinal purists, the Orks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Athas posted:

It would be a nice twist if female Custodes were something that had been invented in the days since the Heresy (since the Emperor is absolutely a raging misogynist; the only women he regularly interacted with had to swear an oath of silence).

Even in-universe, the pure-maleness of the Space Marines makes more sense than pure-male Custodes, as the latter are basically built from the ground up, retaining little more than the soul of the baby that they grind up.

Regarding the Codex, I'm a very casual player and Custodes are my so-far only army. I picked them for various reasons, but one is that their durability made it possible for me to screw up (or take narratively interesting chances) without losing half my army and ending the game. I'll be sad if they turn out to become much more fragile, and probably not play so much anymore.

Actually in Echoes of Eternity there’s apparently a scene where Sanguinius flashes back to when he first met the Emperor and there are both men and women with golden armour with him. Given ADB was the one who initially pitched female Custodes, I wonder if he knew this was coming and slipped a reference in, since most people would just assume at the time it was a reference to the Sisters of Silence.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sharkmafia posted:

It's not even a conundrum tbh, they should just do it

Anyone who freaks out about female space marines on the basis of 'lore' is being transparently disingenuous. Because GW already eviscerated the lore to make primaris happen, and these guys were apparently fine with that, or fine enough to not quit, anyway. So best for GW to just do the thing and ignore them

Primaris wasn't even an 'evisceration' of the lore, it was adding something new. The more obvious comparison would be the complete retcon of the Necrons from being voiceless Terminator slaves of the C'Tan to becoming robot Tomb Kings who keep their former masters in pokeballs (which hey, turned out to be a massive improvement!).

And I bet if you pointed out that Leman Russ wasn't even a Primarch in the Rogue Trader days (even 'Primarch' was just apparently a high ranking Space Marine, originally) they would argue it's somehow different.

Honestly I have a slightly :tinfoil: theory they're gradually going to add female Space Marines into the lore through a handful of plot seeds, but I'm not going into it here.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Roller Coast Guard posted:

There were some Chapter Approved rules way back in 3rd-4th Ed times but they haven't been an 'official, on the table' thing for a while. Mostly it feels like GW hasn't come up with a niche for them that isn't 'Fire Warriors, but worse' or 'Kroot Carnivores, but worse', since bundling a Gue'Vesa conversion sprue of techy Tau bits with a Cadian box like the Brood Brothers kit would be an easy addition.

This is the way that most Gue'Vesa conversion projects get used on the table, yes. There's enough compatibility between the Fire Warrior and Guard kits (though a bit less so with some of the newer kits) that you can switch the parts in and out without it being too much of a headache. Would be just as viable to use them in-game as an Astra Militarum army though with some Tau symbols converted or painted in, and go down the route of "just because we all defected to the Greater Good and got some new bits of uniform doesn't necessarily mean they gave us access to the more powerful guns".

Funny you should say Sentinels, since I used them as the basis for my Crisis Suit conversions:

I went to the full extreme with this army of using the Tau rules as a template for "a bunch of high tech gun-focused nerds in battlemechs" but removing the T'au models from the equation entirely, sourcing the parts for the conversions from literally anywhere else in the GW model range, and writing them up as a lost human civilization coming back with bigger guns to reclaim what the Imperium took from them.

I have 4000pts or so of this absolute madness built with a goal to get it all painted by the end of the year:

I will make some sort of effortpost about this one day.

For The Greater Guard!
This is so great. I actually have had vague dreams of doing something similar but other than buying some Van Saar kits it’s gone nowhere, partially because I wound buying a bunch of Tau so it would be somewhat redundant. Maybe I’ll use them as Gue’Vesa down the line. It’s so cool to see someone commit to the idea.

I suppose between the Van Saar and now Solar Auxilia there’s a lot more options for converting Gue’Vesa.

I can’t see any Kroot proxies there, unless I missed them - if you ever go down that route (assuming you don’t just want to use actual Kroot as mercenaries) maybe converting some Fellgor Ravagers? After all if there are humans there’s probably also abhumans.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Al-Saqr posted:

I actually have an idea for this type of thing, although i dont know if GW accepts book idea solicitations from non brits

I don’t see why that would disqualify you. I’d keep an eye out for the next open submissions window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I always thought of Luc and his Raptors as looking like the 4th-edition ones

Much more predatory and avian, hunched appearance, and with feet that don't look like they're much use on the ground. I'd love for the models to go back to this direction, especially the jetpacks.

I think they used these jet packs as reference for the Mk VI assault squad.

Was there ever an explanation why the studio paint scheme for these doesn’t correspond to any legion? It’s a great scheme but it’s rather odd when you think about it.