Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

I think by now they've gotten the basics down pat, hopefully 11th ed will only see minor alterations to the formula and just some refinements.

I'll be happy when some edition finally figures out that I-go-you-go sucks and they pick any of the many, many other options that other game systems have already explored for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Big sheet of plywood and spraypaint/painter's tape to mark off the boundaries is what I did in one apartment. With two people it's fairly simple to lift on and off the other table to get it in and out of storage. Not very sturdy though, one good fall will break off a fair sized corner. Cheap and easily replaceable when that happens.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I've always felt the scale of numbers being so far out of whack is really spot on for the feel of the Empire that can lose entire worlds in a paperwork shuffle separated by a Warp that can have ships showing up at their destination before they left their origin.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Might want to offload all the questions about 3d printing to the 3d printing thread right in the OP.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973815&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
The Tyranid win rate is also being inflated a noticeable amount by spore mine shenanigans with objectives. As a Tyranid player I want that fixed because using spore mines for objectives just feels stupid and I don't like doing it, but it's the only way to even hold on to what we have at the moment. As soon as it is fixed things will probably go to poo poo and I'm not super confident GW will be willing to go the extra mental step of "Oh if we fix this problem by taking away their big point generating tool other stuff might have to be fixed at the same time."

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Ashcans posted:

I do wonder what sort of analysis or data GW uses to try and balance stuff, but whatever they are doing remains leagues better than how they used to handle it, which was 'mostly don't think about it' and 'provide updates whenever they got around to it'. It sucks if you are in the dumpster right now but at least you might not be waiting years for a hand up.

I remember when GW's advice for dealing with terrible game balance was 'we're sure you can think up something equally broken as a counter'.

Looking at you dark eldar. How many editions old was that codex at one point? If anyone tried to play it at the worst point it was like watching an archivist cataloguing how many different game mechanics and pieces of war gear in the codex just did not exist in the rules anymore.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I still think, with how important melee is, initiative was a good way to differentiate a unit's prowess in melee from other units.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
While I enjoy the building and modeling aspect, I suck so horribly much rear end at sculpting green stuff that it frustrates me. There's so many ideas I have, and I see other people's execution with green stuff, then I try it and it looks like poo poo that never sculpts in any way I can wrap my brain around working with.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Weird Pumpkin posted:

Oh shoot, thank you. I checked the comprehensive rules and read the entire codex for the army, but didn't think to check something like this :doh:

Don't knock yourself for it. This is a growing pains situation with the new edition and how they're handling points so it's not super obvious and they don't exactly advertise it front and center on the webpage.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I do agree with not being sold on the half-baked, quarter-assed implementation of "power level with bigger numbers" when it comes to wargear. Gonna be...interesting...to see how that works out over time. They need to pick a lane on that and re-work a bunch of infrastructural stuff around it one way or another for it to be a well integrated, sensical approach. My concern with that is that it will required bigger picture organization and design philosophy extending across the entire game. That level of planning and coordination is, let's say, new to GW's approach to things.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

The Deleter posted:

I hope they double down on the no costs for wargear. I'm very happy with not having to loving nickle and dime 5 or 10 points on crisis suits over and over to try and hit the magic limit. +20 points for a shield drone get out of here

I could actually get behind the approach of revamping wargear system entirely, if they incorporated that decision into the mechanics from the ground up. In the perfect world that exists in my head, remove wargear completely and every unit has two to three mutually exclusive choices of built-in bonuses of whatever works to achieve the goal of differentiating on the table performance. No fiddling with points and book keeping on each individual model, just mutually exclusive unit-level choices. Brief off the cuff example; for a squad of space marines the choice you make is "Choose one: Everyone gets frag grenades that do XYZ to make them charge resistant, or everyone gets punchier bolt gun ammo to make them a bigger shooting threat". Two different minor, supplementary bonuses to give them slightly different bonuses to different roles with no fiddly wargear points costs and tracking which model costs what and who needs to have which weapon modeled. I'd be OK with that approach to "wargear" under the currently implemented points mechanics. Right now we have vehicles getting every single extra sponson weapon for free, everybody whose not stupid taking adrenaline glands for free on every Tyranid model and so on because we're in a half-baked, not completely implemented middle ground and it's just dumb all around.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

xtothez posted:

The issue with 10th is that the current state of the game is essentially still a beta test. It should have received a lot more attention (public or private) prior to full public release, but clearly GW were too worried about leaks to do that.

However the underlying rules structure is a much better foundation to build & iterate on than 8th & especially 9th. I think by Spring/Summer the balance picture will look better than either of those editions ever did, and see much smaller swings as further new codexes get released.

I'd be ecstatic for them to break the cycle of late-term codexes power creeping everything to poo poo. I don't know that I'm optimistic about it happening though.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Any sign so far about them reworking shadow in the warp? It's a pretty crap mechanic in its current implementation.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well I wondered how they were going to gently caress up biovores and we have the answer. Dumb bullshit spore mine shenanigans stay in the game but you can only spawn one per turn across the entire army. I don't want to be doing that with spore mines it's dumb. Why was that a better fix than removing the shenanigans and letting me go ape poo poo with barfing up mines everywhere and using them like.....mines?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

gravid marines

With some of the weird places the warham community goes this line of thought could get really awkward.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I don't even have an Eldar army (yet, they're on my potential list) and I would like just the absurdly broken poo poo to be fixed without the entire faction taking a nerf bat to the face and ending up trash tier, as is GW's usual wont.

edit: also new warp spider models

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Raged posted:

Zoanthropes went up 30 points
Swarmlord is up 20 points
Hive Tyrant went up 15 Points
Tyrannofex went up 45 loving points
Biovore is up 10
Exocrine is up 10
MAleceptor up 5

Tervigon is down 10
Lictor is down 15
Hormagaunts down 5
Genestealers down 5

Thats what I can remeber

Man just gotta keep kicking 'nids in the balls huh?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Stephenls posted:

Speaking of miscasts, I got the weirdest miscast in my lictor kit today.

It's a miscast base! You can see how the plastic didn't go all the way into the injection mould. Never seen that before.

Went back to the store to exchange the whole kit to get a replacement for it. Turns out 50mm bases are like the only base I don't have spares of, and GW has that new customer service policy where if you get a bad bit in your kit and you bought through a retailer, it's the retailer's responsibility to address it

(And then while I was there I bought the biovore kit and some hormagaunts because I am a mark.)

They didn't have a few bases on hand to just replace that? Seems a bit much to replace the whole kit for just a base.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Thank you for reminding me of Calgar's old pet dinosaurs that he used as writing desks.

lol wow, they really should not be attempting to portray space marines in any stance other than standing on a Heroic Rock or surrounded by Orks in a Pile Of Shooting Dudes. Those proportions are just comedic. Would love to see the MSPaint body outline for this one and the comedy that ensues.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

hoiyes posted:

For guns it feels like a halfway measure that would be better if pushed further or wound back.

This is where I land on it. It's a half baked measure between the two significant options I see as available that is causing all kinds of stupid little problems that don't need to exist. They need to pick one or the other as the entire game's overall design philosophy; either go back to wargear point crunching, or eliminate wargear entirely and rebuild all the stat profiles from the ground up to reflect what wargear did (in rough, big picture terms) to unit performance on the table. Either way has pros and cons. I've dealt with, and enjoyed, both in different game systems so I have no strong preference either way outside of "just pick one, trying both is not working".

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

tangy yet delightful posted:

It's a bit like plugging in a USB cable, you have to rotate it back and forth until magically it works.

You can try to plug in a USB and it doesn't work, flip it 180 and it doesn't work, flip it back 180 and it works. This is only explainable to me as USB operating in the fourth dimension, not limited by mere three dimensional physics.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

rantmo posted:

Getting a headband magnifier has been a massive QOL improvement for me. Helps with every step of the process, especially with a good, bright lamp. Still, for your second mini, that's a great goddamn start and you should feel good.

I got a combo set that's like jewelers magnifiers and a tiny little LED right on my forehead pointing directly at what I'm painting. I love it and it has made painting life so much easier.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Space Friend posted:

Yeah it's a really dumb system. At least I was still able to download the index PDF from Warhammer community this morning. The app sucks eggs for in game reference anyway. Something in the realm of 5-6 distinct actions to move from one data card to another on your roster and expand the section you care about. What I wouldn't give for a low clutter carousel view that strips out any war gear you're not using

This whole thing is just stupid and aggravating. I'm absolutely not interested in GW's stupid app, it was frustration for the few minutes I tried to use it at a friend's house then hearing dumb stuff about the app around codex releases just has me convinced to not even try. Is it possible to get back in to my Tyranids without the newest new codex? I just bought the last one like a year ago, then with indexes I was annoyed but I could keep playing with the available information on those. Now the price of another codex on top of the new units has me just not interested in even getting another one. Is it possible to mangle together enough information from Wahapedia to just play without the newest codex?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

We have plastic Striking Scorpions. I repeat, we have plastic Striking Scorpions.

lol warp spiders, I think it's an office joke at GW or something by now.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Got any spare, unused Orks with power claws laying around? Some of those claws I've seen look pretty good and jankily hacking it off one model then gluing it on another would be something a painboy does every day.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'd say that's a lot better. It breaks up the visually indistinct mass of plasma color, making it look more intentional and conveying that there's a mouth there doing something with the plasma. Combined with the back vents and it now being the face frills that are doing the plasma instead of the entire lower half of the skull it looks much more like a Godzilla-esque traveling wave of glowy plasma than a toddler that got their birthday party cake.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lostconfused posted:

So I am looking at this thread because I have a serious case of :brainworms:

Took a look at the guard combat patrol box, which at the start seems reasonably priced.

And then I made the mistake of building out a 1000 point list, which looks a lot less reasonably priced at like $500 or something.

The two solutions I worked through were 1) Play with friends/people who are chill and will let you proxy much, much cheaper things (as a stupidly poor kid growing up I used cut up Styrofoam blocks and cheap rear end paints to make an Ork army) or 2) Find a friend with a resin printer.

I then eventually became that friend with the printer but whatever.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

a fatguy baldspot posted:

What’s a pin vice, and which one should I get for drilling minis? I do love putting paperclips into my guys to make sure they don’t fall apart but it hurts my hands and it sounds like a pin vice might help. Also any recommends for a mini friendly electric drill? Terrified to try this one since I’ll probably drill into my hand with it.

You can just search amazon for "pin vise" and you'll find them, or every miniature/gaming store in existence probably has a few hanging on their racks for like $20. Basically tiny little hand drills with a rotating cap on the end that sticks on your palm to allow you to press it in. Unless you have much, much greater control than I do I would very seriously NOT recommend a powered drill, even a mini one. They're just not built for this scale and will probably end up blowing holes through your minis or tearing up the sides as they skip along.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Oct 25, 2023

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Shoehead posted:

I was literally just looking it up last night to do a Painboss for Orktober. Theirs is red or a deep, almost black red, which tbh I found disappointing, I wanted it to be neon pink
No idea about Nids and Tau

I had in my head that Ork blood was green as a part of their "We're all sentient fungus" thing. For Nids I'm pretty sure it's been portrayed as different colors at different times, possibly based on hive fleet? (Kidding, it'd be 'Whatever the author wanted'.)

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

lol wow, sorry for all you guys. I guess I won't complain so much about trying to store and transport my Tyranids anymore. Those wings and spear are never, ever going to stay attached outside of a display case.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

AnEdgelord posted:

Crossing my fingers hard that we can finally banish the green rods from the range with a new lokhust destroyer kit

:mad:

Some year when I get done with my Tyranids I want to make a Necron army that uses those green rods everywhere. I think they look really distinct and cool on the table.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/03/get-ready-to-spread-festive-cheer-with-da-red-gobbos-surprise/

Another year, another Da Red Gobbo model.

And there's also the usual christmas contest to make you subscribe to the newsletter.

loving christm- god dammit halloween was like two days ago. Someone get the big E on the line and get this poo poo declared heresy or something we need an actual, honest war on christmas to crush this poo poo before it spreads any further. The last war on christmas was a failure thanksgiving is already lost and now there's beachheads being built around halloween.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Super Waffle posted:

Nearly done with my Warsmith, just needs a couple more cables to fill some gaps and a few more chaosy accoutrements.

Very excited to be finished with this dude, he's been a few months in the making and is my first step into 40k proper from kill team.

There should be laws against you people that are good with green stuff. I've never been able to master the stuff and it makes me jealous.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cessna posted:

You should see my Sisters:

I think there may be some confusion here. This hobby is a tabletop wargaming simulation. The models are supposed to have the weapons, not be the weapons with that much metal.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Cooked Auto posted:

One thing I've discovered is that a proper stirring stick will do wonders in many cases where a shake won't do. Found a glass rod somewhere and it's been my go to stirring stick that I can just wipe off when done.

I have pretty good luck with just shaking (or using my paint vibrator) with a hematite bead inside the dropper bottle.

Don't use bearings or steel beads, I lost some good paints that way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Mercurius posted:

It's still light years better than how they worked in the past. I'm pretty sure quite a few armies had one codex last them multiple editions previously and there was absolutely no FAQs or post release updates so you were stuck with what you got.

Dark Eldar went what, 3rd to 5th editions on one codex? At some point they had stuff that was so old and from so many editions ago it was not legal in their own army because the rules referenced weren't even there anymore.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

this is the only morally defensible position.

looking for a quality fight, driving fast poo poo and eating.

orks are the only morally good faction

This is Tyranid erasure and I won't stand for it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Nessus posted:

Tried doing some pin drilling, stopped because I seemed to just be constantly making weird divergent apertures that were going to gently caress up the gun model parts irreparably OR made teeny tiny little holes that didn't look like anything. Is this a case where I just should have gotten a power tool or what :smith:

Also if there is some kind of guide on how to make decals look good I would love to see it, google failed me or seemed to be inferring that I already knew how to work with them at all.

From the few times I tried it, even a handheld dremel ends up being way, way too much for the scale that models operate at. Fuckups when you're handholding a pin vice, doing one rotation at a time manually get turned into huge gouges or holes blown entirely through something when you've got a motor spinning at whatever RPMs it spins at. Start with a tiny starter hole drilled manually with the tip of a hobby knife twirled around a few times. Yes it's going to be very very tiny and shallow, the only thing it's doing is holding the very tip of your bit in place as it starts to rotate. The bit will widen that hole for you since that's, ya know, what it does.

You also want to avoid muscles providing your stability. Muscles are never stable they just don't operate that way. I sometimes end in yoga-looking poses where I've got one hand braced on the work surface, the other hand holding the drill braced on my first hand and so on. Whatever it takes to have bone contact to a solid, stable surface.

And this may be a Tyranid thing that doesn't work on "normal" guns like space marine bolters or whatever but I usually don't have to actually drill all that deep anyway. Just enough to make a cone recess in to the barrel then after primer put some pure black paint in there and there's just plain no way to tell the difference without a magnifying glass three inches away from the model.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Frog Act posted:

I'm glad people aren't judging my ignorance and subpar modeling skills itt, tbh

I am giving your avatar a quizzical side-eye though, I have no idea what's going on there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I got an airbrush almost entirely for priming because rattle cans suck and have ruined enough models to piss me off. I don't even really use it for painting all that much. I just get perfect primer of whatever color I want in any atmospheric conditions and any phase of the moon. White can be a bit tedious with dry tip but I power through it and do not miss rattle cans at all.