Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

tbh I always figured that was a side effect of living in a city during the industrial revolution before anyone started thinking maybe everyone choking to death and dying from drinking nearby water might be bad

Shageletic posted:

People tend to not give enough credit to premodern medicine, which while not really as effective as modern empirical medicine, still practiced and advocated elements of good health. Sports medicine, with an emphasis on exercise and good eating, was invented into the 5th Century. The idea of getting away and only drinking pure bodies of water dates from the Asceplia of ancient greece and beyond
People always knew to go for good water.

Then again there is only so much you can do without germ theory but still. Also helped that you didn't have capitalism forcing noxious waste on healthy populations.

cities have always been loving disgusting to live in and for most of history the way rich people dealt with that problem was by spending as little time as possible in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
seriously the thread has all read Necropolis at this point

New Orleans was (still is, heh) a noxious pit of constant misery and the capital class bailed at the first opportunity every season

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Potato Salad posted:

toilet seats don't exchange virions with tens of thousands of people each day

it's literally better to lick a toilet seat

I had to clean some that have (at Target we called the need for emergency cleanup a “Code Brown”)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Lmao

https://twitter.com/picardonhealth/status/1772597848284008528

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

just waiting on the "what about the opportunity cost of not eating baconators" and "getting hit by a car is fine stop being splatterphobic" op eds

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We got a wave of this exact poo poo a month or two ago, they're just refining the messaging. The fix to our healthcare cost containment issue is going to be to limit utilization.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Favorite quotes from these op eds starting with the wapo one from jan https://web.archive.org/web/20240110074500/https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2024/01/08/fear-cancer-rethink-harmful/

quote:

We now know that tens of thousands of common breast, prostate and thyroid cancers that are detected early never go on to do any harm. People “overdiagnosed” with these types of cancer are understandably frightened and usually choose more aggressive treatment than their clinical conditions require. Such “fear-ectomies” cause great harm, leading to side effects that range from moderate to severe and include death itself. We spend an estimated $5.2 billion a year on such clinically unnecessary treatment, 3 percent of the total spent on all cancer care annually.

spent three percent of cancer money on being overly cautious?

PHOBIC

quote:

A majority of people believe that most cancer is caused by environmental carcinogens. Yet we now know that cancer is principally a natural disease of aging, which allows DNA mutations that cause uncontrolled cell growth to accumulate. More than half of those diagnosed with cancer in the United States are at least 65 years old, while 87 percent of those who die of it are 50 or older.

cancer is nature's death of old age, stop saying phobic things like "dont poison me"

quote:

Cancer fear also resists change because our beliefs still rest on what we learned long ago. The public is mostly unaware of the quiet, incremental progress that has made so many cancers treatable or curable. Very few know that many common cancers never kill. Our deep faith in screening belies the evidence that it has only modest benefit and does great damage, something people don’t realize because screening advocates have vastly oversold the benefits and practically never mention the harm.

drat dude it's almost like people don't want to do a bunch of chemo and surgery and "it's treatable" is some loving bullshit

let's see what the second op ed citing the book by the guy who wrote the first op ed (who is a journalist who joined the harvard public health school with no medical background) has to say!!

quote:

But Mr. Ropeik, an expert in risk communication

gently caress off

quote:

Take mammography screening for breast cancer: Screening 2,000 women for 10 years prevents one death. Meanwhile, 200 will receive false positives and 10 will undergo unnecessary treatment.

Making the case for gently caress that one lady, she deserves to die. Which, btw, is loving bullshit. The guy cherry picks studies to prove his dipshit freakonomics-grade ideas and then writes pop health columns and books by the bushel.

quote:

(Other research has noted more impactful outcomes for breast-cancer screening, however.)

:waycool:

quote:

The overall message of the book is an important one: Follow the science to find the right balance.

Screening programs are important, but they should be targeted at those at the highest risk. Treatment, too, should be focused on those who will most benefit. Less can be more.

As Mr. Ropeik says, combatting cancerphobia comes down to “not letting fear fly the plane.”

we should let economists and journalists who are getting paid to normalize environmental poisons fly the plane instead, follow the science

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We got a wave of this exact poo poo a month or two ago, they're just refining the messaging. The fix to our healthcare cost containment issue is going to be to limit utilization.

this is classic flooding the zone poo poo, you have one rear end in a top hat write a book or column and then have other people write a bunch more articles and columns citing the first one as a "some say" matter and suddenly you've got an entire media echochamber normalizing a position that's got about as much validity as homeopathy or auras but is far more convenient for insurance companies and hospital administrators

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

I thought this was a new Vertlartnic at first. Love living in this deranged, collapsing society.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

classic cancerphobia case study: one of my mom's friends just got diagnosed with lymphoma during a breast exam

they did follow-up imaging and found that it's contained to her lymph nodes and probably isn't going to kill her, but she will need to undergo chemo to improve her odds

now according to this loving rear end in a top hat's logic, this lady getting screening and treatment is cancerphobic because she probably wouldn't have died with that on her death certificate, and dying of cancer as a proximate cause is the only thing that counts to him as a bad outcome of cancer

and you know what that means: screening and treating her is wasteful

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

these people always write from the perspective of "we're doing too much about [thing], what about the opportunity costs of not doing [other thing]"

but they're not writing a column or book about needing to do more about [other thing], they're writing about doing less about [thing]

like this fuckwit loves to compare cancer and heart disease, saying cancer is a smaller problem and yet gets more money, but he's not writing a book about how we need to declare war on heart disease or increase heart institute funding, is he? he's writing a book about how we need to surrender to cancer and spend less money on it

curious!

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Mar 26, 2024

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

currently picking up painkillers for my roommate while they get their drains taken out

half the pharmacy techs are masked. surprisingly, half the people in line are masked too

everyone who is masked is wearing a surgical except for me in an aura two people in kn95s

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 19:27 on Mar 26, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Cancer sucks as so does that Twitter person.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

it would be fascinating to learn how capital / the folks in charge disseminate talking points like "covid is mild" -> "cancer is mild" to their mouthpieces without any of that poo poo leaking out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

it would be fascinating to learn how capital / the folks in charge disseminate talking points like "covid is mild" -> "cancer is mild" to their mouthpieces without any of that poo poo leaking out.

what do you mean, without leaking out? Didn't save a link, but the apparatchiks just wrote into the wapo about how they got together with the "twitter doctors" to brainstorm how to "take the win" on covid, shortly after getting Biden elected. They were very proud of it.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Like it's not that the Delta CEO wrote a mail about how covid isn't infectious after five days, just that more than five days is too long. Filling in the reasons is peasant work

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

genericnick posted:

what do you mean, without leaking out? Didn't save a link, but the apparatchiks just wrote into the wapo about how they got together with the "twitter doctors" to brainstorm how to "take the win" on covid, shortly after getting Biden elected. They were very proud of it.

also you don't necessarily need to have an actual conspiracy for this when you can instead build an entire grant and trust system that can be selectively deployed toward think tanks and academics who will reliably come to the right conclusion about whatever topic on their own, that's the american way

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Stolen from elsewhere in cspam:

"We got tired of being unable to find a place to sit in restaurants."

......... Wait ten minutes? Make a reservation?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Animal-Mother posted:

......... Wait ten minutes? Make a reservation?
both unimaginable things to the texas roadhouse regulars

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

The Oldest Man posted:

also you don't necessarily need to have an actual conspiracy for this when you can instead build an entire grant and trust system that can be selectively deployed toward think tanks and academics who will reliably come to the right conclusion about whatever topic on their own, that's the american way

The Oster/Gandhi model.

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
Found this crazy sale on Fisher Sci of a duckbill respirator. Medicom SafeMask Architect Pro? :shrug: The sale is only on mediums and I know nothing about the brand or the fits of the different sizes, but I thought I'd share bc a case of 500 is $57.12 plus shipping

https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/safemask-architect-pro-n95-surgical-respirator-3/17000331#n95

E: Idk if these are NIOSH certified?
E2: under specifications, it says they are. It’s not very clear. Maybe because they are originally a Canadian company? I think?

Indoor Dying has issued a correction as of 23:31 on Mar 26, 2024

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"Our property insurance is going sky high because of the climate change I voted over decades to worsen, also we've driven both parties to ratchet so hard to the right on labor matters that it's becoming literally impossible for retail and food workers to be gainfully employed in many places."

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

PoundSand posted:

Cancer sucks as so does that Twitter person.

I thought that we needed a new title so thanks for the inspiration

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

also, it takes ages to get shredded cheese even after you've gotten a table!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
someone gathering a list of reasons why people think the Francis Scott key bridge collapsed

https://x.com/curtexplores/status/1772662583390073297?s=46

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

someone gathering a list of reasons why people think the Francis Scott key bridge collapsed

i knew it

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

from wikipedia:

quote:

As of March 2024, the WHO reported a total of 888 confirmed human cases which resulted in the deaths of 463 people since 2003.

50% fatality rate? The next pandemic is gonna be REALLY rough for people who demand immediate service in restaurants.

Animal-Mother has issued a correction as of 02:17 on Mar 27, 2024

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

Collapse debt. The only way to prevent it is to have more frequent, less severe partial bridge collapses.

Rescue Toaster has issued a correction as of 04:00 on Mar 27, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

NeonPunk posted:

I thought that we needed a new title so thanks for the inspiration

Thank you for fixing the phoneposting typo first.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

anyone got a good kn95 or equivalent earloop mask recommendation for Canada these days? I like em for quick gas station pop ins and whatnot but my last order sucked, weak bands and a thin material

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

anyone got a good kn95 or equivalent earloop mask recommendation for Canada these days? I like em for quick gas station pop ins and whatnot but my last order sucked, weak bands and a thin material

embrace duckmask

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

U-DO Burger posted:

Oh poo poo someone made a mini CR box frame that you can just plug your filters into

https://twitter.com/Engineer_Wong/status/1768293482077245796?t=pLNZLBfkUpIEoExQB62UDQ&s=19
This is awesome. It's up on Amazon but out of stock currently. Gonna order one once it's back in stock.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

just waiting on the "what about the opportunity cost of not eating baconators" and "getting hit by a car is fine stop being splatterphobic" op eds
car fatalities are already glossed over in the media and everywhere else or the dead are victim blamed it's insane
anyways gotta have them big strong f2000 trucksssss

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

My wife uses these:

https://shop.vitacore.ca/collections/frontpage/products/can95e-black

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Steve Yun posted:

V A X X E D ?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I like these guys. https://www.ppe-supply.com/

I couldn't get the vitacore to work with my face, but the ppe-supply ones fit me well, come in fun colours and they're always having sales. Ships from Toronto.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Breatheteq are cool comfy and have a good fit, also come in various colors and you can order multiple sizes in a single package to find the right fit (adult large works for me, man might need an xl, young teen wore the med, sm is definitely for kids).

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Potato Salad posted:

V A X X E D ?

that was one of the reasons unironically given by someone

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Oracle posted:

Breatheteq are cool comfy and have a good fit, also come in various colors and you can order multiple sizes in a single package to find the right fit (adult large works for me, man might need an xl, young teen wore the med, sm is definitely for kids).

Seconding the suggestion to get a sample pack. Something this pandemic taught me is that my face is slightly smaller than the average middle-aged lady; for BreatheTeq I'm a medium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Things in the Philippines are... not great

https://twitter.com/rapplerdotcom/status/1772820909516034433?t=KMmuxNAwkU5rka2yaduaDw&s=19