Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

skaboomizzy posted:

I had to go home for a funeral and was the only person masking on two fully seated 737 flights that were 2+ hours each way

nobody was masking through two full days of viewings and a service and luncheon the third day

lol

I had to travel to Texas for a big work convention and I'm the only one masked. Departing from California I saw a total of 5 other masked people at the airport, in Texas I've seen 0 masked people period.

Due to career pressure I've gone to the company dinners unmasked/done PPE theatre like taking off my mask to eat this week, which kind of sucks but I'm also not scheduled to see my at risk relatives for weeks so can avoid transmitting anything to them if I get got. Oh well at least
I'm risking maiming at some high end dinners on the company or vendors' dime and not TGI Fridays or Chili's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
E:GRAPH IS WRONG, THERE'S A SPIKE BUT THIS IS BAD DATA.

looks like schools might be the only place to send kids with 104 degree fevers soon

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 18:56 on Aug 16, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Phigs posted:

Yep, this is the third time we've seen it now.

Understandable that someone would miss it though given the speed of the last thread and then its death.
glad to hear that. This whole "make the choice that's right for you!" model of health policy sucks rear end. Maybe in a few hundred years we'll create centralized orgs and departments that oversee these things instead of hollowed out political orgs that have to spin stuff, because yeah the average person can't really tell which of these are good and which are bunk

Phigs posted:

Unfortunately the posting around it is a whir of different graphs posted by people trying to own each other so it's hard for me to follow.
Hell, I got that sent to me by someone else. Before elon broke twitter usually the solution was checking the actual link and conversations, but now screenshots of tweets are the superior method of delivering both false information and the real stuff that appears there.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 18:55 on Aug 16, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Pablo Nergigante posted:

You’re right. Better to listen to random strangers on the internet

I already hook my insurance chatbot up to a 'twitch plays' system whenever I need to schedule an appointment
instead of going in for routine bloodwork this year I'm scheduled for 6 breast reductions and 9 endoscopic colonoscopies

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Petey posted:

something i would really like for this thread is if more non-regulars read it for whatever reason and realize / can act on what the actual public health recommendation guidelines are. i think when i link people to treatingcovid.info — which is basically linked to/from the NIH 400+ page canonical clinical guidelines — they're often surprised by

1) how many people should be taking antivirals under the current guidelines vs how many actually are
2) how many people are dying right who qualified for antivirals and should have taken them but did not for many reasons that amount to a failure of public health institutions in the broadest terms
3) given 1/2, it might make sense to adopt more cautious behavior for oneself and for the broader public, regardless of the research on how cov2 is qualitatively different from other viruses

that last thing is where I think this thread, and me personally, have the hardest time navigating, because in fairness so are the fields of virology, immunology, and public health, as best as I can tell. It does seem to me to be worth asking the question, as vincent often does on twiv: well, do other viruses cause post-acute sequelae? is there long flu? and if the answer is yes (which seems to be true), what lesson do you then take from that? is it that we should accept the pre-2020 status quo re: flu, or that one might also want to modify behavior to more aggressively avoid/treat flu? that just feels like it splits down based on personal risk aversion and political differences — and connecting both of those is bound to generate conflicts, on dead comedy forums and otherwise.

Yeah, I gotta say when I was more hopeful I thought at least the one upside of everything that went down in 2020 would be sick pay, the importance of not having workers and kids spread everything in plaguepits, and sick people masking during cold and flu season would have carried on.
Instead we've got people pushing back against germ theory and public health being fully dismantled for 'personal choice'.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

The story was sad enough already. He'd been away with health issues for a while. The running assumption was it was mental health related after a friend recently died. Bray was young, and pretty well liked by most people he worked with.

I hope this isn't a sign of more of this coming with wrestlers, they all have such ridiculously punishing lifestyles that it doesn't take much to tip the scales.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mekchu posted:

the only similarity is keith lee who is also a big guy who also got covid and had some heart related issue following it. however i think keith lee took less time off than bray.

Right, I'm not gonna try and make a conspiracy corkboard of injuries or wrestlers having issues, just it sucks that we've got one more thing in the list of way those athletes destroy their bodies for our entertainment. It applies to all touring performers, but I feel like wrestlers are especially vulnerable because of how much of their income comes from stuff like meet and greets and cons, not to mention the way some of their particular fitness regimen already leaves them vulnerable to cardiovascular issues.

Okuteru posted:

It's only day two of the school year and people are already calling off sick with the vid. The principal is telling teachers to not to report positive tests because "we cannot give into the fear".

As if a pathogen is a terrorist cell or something.
Last year in CA educators I knew were sharing all the ways admin was juking the stats for infections, like you wouldn't be notified via contact tracing if someone was hacking a lung up all over the kiddos in the class right before you, because you didn't share a workstation with the infected.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 12:13 on Aug 25, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bastard Tetris posted:

it has to be extremely hosed up to be constantly publicly mixed up with a total shithead like Naomi Wolf lmao

Klein just wrote a book about it! I'm gonna assume that link last page was to her guardian article/teaser about it. It's interesting because it goes into how Wolf was in many ways her evil doppelganger and parallels about them that lead to the mixups.
I have to imagine Wolf's arc sucks for Wolf too if she's ever self aware, since she'd have to realize she's gone from being an at least tolerated academic to full on crank and laughing stock.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bastard Tetris posted:

Must be nice, our local church turned into a training ground for psychos to run for local offices backed by Tucker Carlson and poo poo

I miss Long Beach, there were 2 really cool churches within walking distance from downtown that had poo poo like sanctuary for immigrants, clothed and fed people, and regularly helped in coalitions among progressive activists. Now I'm in an area where members of a local church were part of the petition to close down the only local soup kitchen that regularly fed people and had hot showers for the unhoused.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bastard Tetris posted:

The LA/Orange County Long Beach? I went to undergrad around there so I have some pretty deep roots with sanctuary and activist groups there.
Yep, Small world! I went to CSULB for my BA too.
I miss the activist groups in that city since they were really good about coalition building and working together. Really helped radicalize me and realize the only way to get things done is solidarity and working with folks you may not agree with. Like there's a bunch of goofy aspects to trots, but damned if they weren't consistently showing up for poo poo.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Blegh, helping another friend navigate getting pax. Luckily their insurance had a $15 telehealth consult, but they literally have family texting them saying it's no big deal and not to worry.
It's also lovely that this is someone who works with kids and is being pressured to come back to work on day 5 regardless of symptoms. Luckily they've got good masks, and they're working with middleschoolers and GenEd this year not special needs k and elementary again. It also sucks that they're right at the tail end of efficacy at day 3 of symptoms, because no one told them they needed to get it ASAP.
Luckily their partner doesn't live with them and isn't popping hot, so probably avoided infection.
I wish normal people were given any real access and knowledge of those tools that were supposed to mitigate covid and justified Open Biden.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

harrygomm posted:

i posted about a week ago that i had a pile of masks to give out for free, got one person asking for some, but i still have a ton. can anyone vet for a place or organization to which i can donate them that might be able to make use of them? i’m around portland if it makes any difference, don’t mind shipping if needed

Check with any local food pantries or shelters to see if they need them? Or maybe your local nurse's union since I know at least in CA they're struggling to get issued proper ppe.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

bedpan posted:

at each crucial point, the steps needed to be taken to control and defeat a pandemic were ignored in favor of the worst thing to do at any given point

Wouldn't your face have been red if Biden had mandated 2 weeks paid sick leave and expanded unemployment permanently, and then covid had dissappeared in 2021?
Think of all the great policies the dems wouldn't have been able to get done if he spent all his political capital on the flu.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

celadon posted:

like, it'll buy you a little time maybe, but youre going to run into the same problem a year from now. what then? raise the retirement age to 69?

sounds like a problem for next quarter

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Hard candy has been helping with pax mouth during the day but does anyone have any suggestions on what to do when trying to go to sleep?

Decaf coffee? Coffee worked well for a friend who didn't want to use candy/dislikes sweets. Though obviously coffee before bed is uh less than ideal

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Real Mean Queen posted:

As far as I can tell that's exactly what it is. Pausing to feel bad for a second before doing the bad thing anyway is more than somebody else did, and that means you're not the worst person in the world. Liberalism is about incremental improvement, so you can do all the same things as the worst person in the world as long as you feel weird about it for a second, because that's better than what somebody else did.

Yeah, libs have made it very clear they don't actually want leadership that doesn't do the bad things, they just want a mature adult who does the bad thing after consideration and feels torn by it or who puts on the right veneer.
Look at all of the Bush policies Obama just carried over, and then after that the Trump carryovers to Biden.
They don't even limit it to stuff like covid or immigration where you can hem and haw and pretend the world is different or "gosh we wanted to do something else, but the senate janitor refuses to replace the batteries on the vote buttons"
There's no reason Cuba and Iran should be continuations of Trump, hell if dem voters had object permanence they'd remember these used to be what they pointed to as proof red team was worse than blue.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:14 on Sep 7, 2023

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DominoKitten posted:

uuuuuh somehow doubting the efficacy of a mask that you can straight up see nostrils from below on

Yeah that strikes me more as theatre or a placebo than something genuinely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

smelly goblin posted:

Bc of this post I just found 3m nostril masks that you stick up in there. Bought some and gonna try them out for when I go to the orthodontist.

https://www.o2nosefilters.com/shop/

Careful with those, it looks exactly like the sort of business that's gonna get a nasty letter from OSHA or CPSC, since they're not rated but even make claims about using them for PPE because they use rated materials with research behind them. Like those aren't 3M masks, they just purchased 3M materials to make them.