Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

new Covid thread let’s loving gooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Any hopes of this shaking out into anything resembling sterilizing immunity? https://www.mountsinai.org/about/ne...nd-transmission

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

salient posted:

the epidemiology prof teaching my infectious disease outbreak investigation class just sent an announcement that she has contracted the novel coronavirus but hopes to be teaching our first class in person on monday

trust the experts imo, lest screaming over covid thread anti-intellectualism is heard elsewhere and out of context

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

malarias just the cold. pack it in, doomers

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

oh no! not SAD!

anyway… back to bg3

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

why tf are there 500 posts in here since I looked last night? is there a covid wave or somethin?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

pretty sus how supposedly well adjusted people spend hours of their day posting about and in a thread they think is crazy. i even like this thread and only get to glance at it while I'm making GBS threads at work or something. get a hobby imo

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i believe you meant to post this in the biosphere collapse thread

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I think there's a lot of bad posting from thread regulars and there's also a lot of bad posting outside of the thread from the sagas/qcs crew. I think probing thread regulars for the zealous covid acolyte posts and pearl clutching posts is good. But I also think the low effort shitposting or the drive-by bad posts that are intended to get a rise from thread regulars should also get probed. I also think it's fine if "outsiders" post in the thread earnestly and aren't just posting 100 times a day essentially posting "mad??". Good job thread, you've turned me into a pro prober

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

ho fan posted:

it also seriously negatively affects the mental health of a subset of people who post here.

this type of poo poo is aids and should be nuked from orbit

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

why are you people telling your boss about your posting on the something awful dot com forums???

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

tuyop posted:

so the boss knows what’s up when you get doxxed, in the example

did the covid IKs get doxxed?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

To be clear, people making fun of your posts or moderating decisions is not doxxing. People quoting your posts as SYQ is not doxxing. Yes, having people quote your posts and make fun of you doesn't feel good, but just because it doesn't feel good doesn't mean you are being doxxed. People here and on the QCS/SAD side both need to stop catastrophizing and making poo poo up

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I did when I got doxxed, it felt appropriate given my unashamedly :d2a: posting and openness about who I work for.

My union steward just laughed and said I wouldn't be the first and won't be the last that someone tried to get in trouble over Internet politics slap fights and we have protections against getting disciplined over social media posts in our contract even if someone can put a name and a face to my posts.

but you were actually doxxed, weren't you? you weren't imagining that you were going to be doxxed because people were making fun of your posts?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Apologies if I'm aggro posting and am uninformed, I just think doxxing is a really serious matter, and I don't have that event in my catalog of COVID thread history, and couldn't find anything by searching either

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Phigs posted:

I'd bet good money its reference to some kiwifarms type poo poo and you should probably drop the subject.

it reads as if the QCS/SAD slapfight with this thread resulted in doxxing because of the moderating decisions in the COVID thread. I'll drop the subject when I want to or when I eat a probe for it, thanks though.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Weka posted:

I can't pray for you if I don't talk to my boss (God) about the forums.

Actually, it does, because the colour purple gives me a dopamine rush.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

DickParasite posted:

Sure enough BP had some strong opinions about the Covid thread too.

She was referring to herself in both of those quotes.

It's all projection!

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shiroc posted:

As the super gay trans ik who got treated like total poo poo trying to do right by this thread, seeing this from someone who literally was protected by the site owner after posting terrorist threats and given space to drive her patreon has completely broken the lingering shreds of giving a poo poo about this site 'as a community.'

Did someone doxx you when you were an IK?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shiroc posted:

Nobody doxxed me. It was something I was concerned about given how pissed off people were getting but apparently I has less to worry about than I thought.

Thanks. I initially asked before recent... revelations by the way. Wasn't trying to run up the score or anything like that

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nexous posted:

or we could just move on

this, but the thread also took a W today, and that should be celebrated

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

nexous posted:

no it really shouldn’t. a mentally Ill poster got banned. there is no we, we didn’t win, it had nothing to do with Covid

ah you're right, i'll just go back to SAD

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

StratGoatCom posted:

Next time he comes, offer to buy him an SA account.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

NeonPunk posted:

Not Covid related but this thread is the closest to [Pestilence] so here's an article about someone with brain worms literally

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2023/aug/28/live-worm-living-womans-brain-australia-depression-forgetfulness

don’t fuckin doxx me

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

that guy rules

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

covid thread remains right about covid while also being awful at understanding humor or posting well

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

i have a 150% chance of getting heads if I flip a quarter three times

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I am the only person on my 5 person team working today, everyone else is out with COVID or their kids have COVID, lol

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Does long covid risk accumulate with each infection, or is it a flat rate? Any sources, preferably from the mother fuckin' CDC? Help me out with my turbolib friend pls

e: already linked this https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

Cretin90 posted:

How’s this? https://medicine.wustl.edu/news/repeat-covid-19-infections-increase-risk-of-organ-failure-death/

“Overall, the researchers found that people with COVID-19 reinfections were twice as likely to die and three times more likely to be hospitalized than those with no reinfection.

Additionally, people with repeat infections were 3½ times more likely to develop lung problems, three times more likely to suffer heart conditions and 1.6 times more likely to experience brain conditions than patients who had been infected with the virus once.”

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-02051-3

used search, thanks!

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 05:14 on Aug 30, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Someone commented on my N95 for the first time this year. I was picking up some breakfast sandwiches in a drive through lane. When I rolled up to the window, the guy working at the window stopped and starting winding up to ask me about my mask, which made me think "oh boy, here we go". He said he was curious and asked why I was wearing my mask, since he barely sees them anymore. I kept it short and just said I am being extra careful because people I live with are vulnerable. Thought he was going to scoff at me but he said he respected it but stopped wearing because he felt too self-conscious to keep wearing his, then talked about how his dad had ALS when he was a kid and his dad got hosed up by random colds they would bring home.

biceps crimes has issued a correction as of 18:01 on Aug 30, 2023

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

being known as the Covid nerd means that when a friend wants to give away a free Aranet they give it to you

welcome to neurotically opening and closing windows throughout the day

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

600 is pretty good for having closed windows all day. Does my house have a draft or do I secretly have a chlorophyll mutation in my body

I wouldn't question it too much, congrats

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Death of Innocence posted:

What are you guys doing for haircuts? Do you just hold the mask in place when you take the straps off?

I used to get haircuts every 2-3 weeks, but now I haven’t had a haircut in 4 years (except for trimming every few months to remove split ends)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

smash mouth guy has had poor health for years now. his recent outbursts remind of someone I knew who started acting even more strangely than usual from hepatic encephalopathy before they died from liver failure. weird outbursts and aggression that weren’t anything like their normal self. alcoholism sucks rear end and will really gently caress you up

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Maybe they could try preventing spread instead of promising us death and disability?

mods?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I found the face of danger

very funny. i'm cooking up a villain speech that i will soon post

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I believe poppers got vaxxed

I believe poppers went to raves

I believe poppers didn't get covid

"in this house, we believe" sign

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

are they not vaxxed?

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

vaxxed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Q: A friend is coming into town and will be available to hang out for a night. Is there any test they can take that'd give us a reasonable assurance that they won't infect us with COVID if they hang out at our house? We mask everywhere outside our house and haven't been got yet. They asked if they could take a test and IDK. They'll wear an N95 too if we must but it's more of a pain in the rear end for all of us, especially with the weather outside being hot and humid lately