Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Ahhhh enjoy that new thread smell, so great to see everyone smiling!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Iverron posted:

listen to the nurse 15 year old working at the urgent care after school

https://twitter.com/WTAE/status/1690076897596628992?s=20

Lmao what is even the purpose of these places then when they'll only be able to provide a level of care equivalent to an elementary school nurse where they just give bandaid and tylenol?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Anyone trying to argue believe all doctors needs to really learn about the appeal to authority fallacy. The entire American response was about keeping that big beautiful economy going at all costs. I've personally seen many instances of doctors being clueless or factually wrong about health care. They are far from infallible.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Bastard Tetris posted:

My PCP is an internal medicine doc so most of the early information came from me- they have a very high patient workload and nobody pays them to do lit reviews on their own time.

Oh yeah the post covid era of health care in america is loving dire there's still like half the work force missing. Doctors don't stand a loving chance they are just trying desperately to keep their heads above water and not drowning in the sea of patient loads.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
If you tell me you're allergic to dilaudid: gently caress you

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Frankly I think the onus is on the consumer to simply not get food that has stuff in it they knowingly can't eat and expecting restaurants to surgically remove some of their own ribs to accommodate. Like, just order something else?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Like I'm a loving manchild and just order things that I know will be "safe" without needing to have the staff change half the recipe. Chicken tendies and fries are always a solid backup folks!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Lib and let die posted:

you just can't loving read, can you?

lying about allergies to get an item you don't like left off because you think your servers and cooks are blithering loving morons is not loving cool

I'm agreeing with you and saying that customers are loving stupid and assholes for demanding cooks change everything on a dish to appease when the customer should simply order something they aren't allergic to? Hello?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

What are the tendies breaded with

Were eggs used in the preparation? Milk? Beer?

Wheat flour or rice flour?

Was the oil it was fried in changed, or is it full of shellfish and gluten?

All those things are potential allergens and merely exposing non allergen foods to those things can trigger those allergies

Asking for allergy accomodations both insures the employee will follow them, and that proper food prep will be done. Which is another reason not to question them when they're asked for - you don't really know what they're allergic to and what they're trying to avoid.

Lald: nightshades are among the most common allergens and explaining that allergy to people is really tiresome so maybe they really couldn't handle tomatoes and you were just being a jerk

Literally none of those concerns matter because ITS loving DEEP FRIED OIL. All the allergens are destroyed.

The number of times we got into loving arguments with Karen's at acme during cheep chicken Monday because we used peanut oil in the fryers and you're not loving listening lady the 400 degree heat obliterates the allergens you are safe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
gently caress, my bit was ruined by genuinely not knowing anything about food allergens. This is almost as embarrassing as being a doctor and knowingly taking a hot shower while dehydrated with a viral illness and subsequently passing out and almost dying from head trauma.

Anyway I'm a doctor so you need to listen to me about food allergen they are all eliminated in high heat just tell your chef to cook everything hotter and you will be safe.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Lol don't even start with quack alternative medicine right wingers have been pushing this poo poo forever and it's getting exponentially more prominent. My hospital has a loving reiki therapist :hmmrona:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Al! posted:

you guys think thats bad, my hospital has chaplains for the dying. god doesnt even exist, man!!!

The catholic hospital I work at ran out of nuns :(

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Here's some deep lore for the thread. When I was in x-ray school, I was really frustrated with how nit picky the preceptors were being about 'the rules' to the point that I started being really obstinate to the point that I asked a nun in her 70s if there was any chance of pregnancy prior to the xrays.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
DO and MD are the same thing and have been for decades now. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more MDs doing awful grifting medical grimes than there were DOs doing that/actually believing in osteopathic medicine. The dipshits that actually believe that stuff just become chiropractors or naturopaths because why spend all those years and money having to follow those meddlesome regulations when you can do it in half the time for much cheaper and the sole regulatory body for your practice is *checks notes* a private organization made exclusively of wise elders from your profession. Nothing says accountability like being in charge of policing yourself. The meme used to be that DO just meant you couldn't get into med school and it was the backup, but even that poo poo is outdated since both tracts follow the exact same educational requirements and licensure.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lots of Osteopathy defenders in c-spam... you will not be touching my fascia

And yet medical doctors didn't even know fascia was an actual organ and not just an abstract concept of dividing connective tissue until the last decade, how curious!

Poppers posted:

The biggest difference between DOs and MDs is that DOs are more likely to go into primary care which means they’re more useful to society on average

This is true and almost certainly a result of gatekeeping by residency programs with their backwards views regarding the superiority of the MD brand.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

I've literally never heard or seen a DO actually practicing osteopathic medicine principles in my entire career. Anyone that actually believes that poo poo just doesn't make it to the real world of medical practice and simply sticks to the shadows of sketchy 'physical therapy spine rehab' joints in strip malls.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

mawarannahr posted:

Turkish medical students routinely cackle online about how loving easy the USMLE is compared to the TUS and it's not even administered in their native language. Make it much harder.

jokes on you the american health care system does it's gatekeeping on the front end. Once you're actually in med school they do everything they can to get you across the finish line so their numbers look good.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't think a single one of the hospitalists I work with overnight was born in America.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

NeonPunk posted:

Ixilka Research Technologies

Yeah, thanks for pointing that out to me. Just plain AI trash

omg I reading that sentence made me feel like I was getting osteopathic manipulation therapy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What sick motherfucker tried to make me a mod show yourself you bane mask coward! LEMME SEE THAT DUPLICITOUS SMILE!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Nice my awful post made the thread title my work here is done *disappears from thread until the next variant*

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't think I ever saw that bamlbamabaln used in my hospital it's always been remdesivir

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Facetoucher cat did nothing wrong, shameful that a bunch of sick fuckos were allowed to destroy her over a mental health crisis

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Rescue Toaster posted:

Obviously really sorry you went through that.

Not sure if it's worth putting in the OP that there are some respirators that have absolutely no metal and are OK in an MRI, like these from moldex: https://www.moldex.com/product/2600-n95-series-respirator/ or https://www.moldex.com/product/4600-n95-airwave-pleated-easy-breathing-respirator/ Usually available from grainger.
They're not very adjustable so if they don't fit your face, well, they don't fit your face. And of course ymmv because you never know what a MRI tech is going to say, but it definitely won't set off the little metal detectors, because there's none in there. I've personally gone through an MRI with a 2600 shown there.

Also some (not all!) half-mask elastomerics have no metal. Though at least one model I tried has a screw.

As an actual MRI tech here, more often than not yall are not going to have a good time trying to keep your bane masks on in the tube. We don't trust anything for good reason and generally speaking unless there is actual testing by the manufacturer or otherwise information by the manufacturer about mri safety it's gonna be a no from most techs. Would recommend calling the place well in advance to speak to a technologist about keeping the mask on and if that'll be ok etc. Also I'd warn that if you're getting any imaging of the brain/head/possibly cervical/thoracic spine depending on the coil configuration it will be impossible to keep a respirator on regardless of metal as it will physically not fit.

Also good form on the tech to just tell you it's normal for the contrast to burn because that's like the first immediate indication of extravasation (gadolinium contrast injection should never give a sustained burning sensation beyond maybe the initial seconds for other physiological reasons)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

nexous posted:

lol they helpfully let me know they use much more contrast for a CT than an MRI so I should be glad it wasn’t a CT

I’ve had a bunch of both and never noticed the difference just a warm feeling and like I was pussing myself.

the worst thing I’ve ever had done is a nuclear stress test. nothing can describe the “this is wrong” feeling it gives you

Yeah iodine (CT) gives you a sudden flushing hot and pissing yourself sensation. Gadolinium (MRI) doesn't do anything, sometimes it makes people nauseous from a physiological response but that's really rare. As far as the infiltrate goes there's nothing to do about it except let the body absorb it out.

I also do nuc med and it's wild sometimes watching people when we do the regadenoson studies. Ok you're going to feel real short of breath all the sudden but it will go away in a minute! Way better than loving around with all the old stuff like persantine and adenosine or... dobutamine lol (gently caress dobutamine I ain't a nurse I'm not titrating this poo poo I think I've only ever done 1)

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I find it very funny seeing someone out in the wild wearing a surgical mask but dicknosing, it's such a wild whirlwind of decisions.

Also my anecdotal experience with scanning liver failure/mets so bad your liver is now just an apartment for cancer is that is one of the worst ways to slowly die.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why am I seeing stuff about putting muzzles back on children and censoring our smiles what'd you hosed up mental bane maskers do this time?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah the constant desire of people to try to square peg covid into the round hole of seasonal genuinely bothers me. It's not a seasonal virus you idiots.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Covid positive vomiting blood? Mild

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My chart says I've gotten 4 jabs but I genuinely don't remember getting the second booster lmao anyone else have smooth brain????

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Woah anyone heard of this covid thing? Sounds crazy.

Oh wait it's 2023 and this is what my hospital is sending out again for some reason, despite covid having been over for a year now? Strange.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
On one hand they absolutely just reuploaded the same covid emergency standards healthstream they made back in 2020. On the other hand its exactly what the administration thinks about how covid works.

I just clicked through real quick cause it's a bunch of wank off bullshit but I caught a glimpse of an n95 next to a brown paper bag and I'm sure if I had stopped to read it would have been talking about reusing the same n95 for months.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

fosborb posted:

lol what's the right answer

The 6 foot one

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

UnknownMercenary posted:

Okay at the risk of sounding really dumb but are you not supposed to do that? I mean I've been slowly going through a box of N95s since last year just by reusing as much as possible and only replacing if they get soggy or the bands snap, but I work in food service, not in health care.

They are a single use item, as in you throw it out after the first time you put it on. Thankfully the engineering is robust enough that it can continue to provide airborne protection until the material wears out enough that a seal can't be maintained, but the whole store for reuse thing came about solely because trump and the cdc/fda/etc did absolutely nothing about the reports coming out of China at the end of 2019. No spin up of production or stockpiling, why bother it's just a fomite China virus no big deal. And then it came to America and.... they did nothing. Refused to release the millions in the national stockpiles because what if an even worse pandemic struck at any minute and we needed them?! This is why you had hospital staff wearing trash bags in NYC and dying. It's also where trumps invoke P came from, everyone was begging him to invoke the defensive production act to force 3M etc to pump out PPE and sell them at cost to the government for distribution but he refused. So you had governors flying secret private jets to South Korea to get PPE since the US government was doing nothing to help. Actually that's not true, the US government response was kushner being the front man and having the DHS and FEMA seize all the PPE shipments so he could give them to his friends who would then resell to the states at predatory prices which is why governors were doing secret squirrel poo poo with private planes.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Weird, lots of covid patients in the ED. Anyone know what that's about?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
The most egregious of crimes by the biden administration, I have to shave again. 8 months of growth and I'm back to this bullshit.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I'm really struggling to comprehend the idea that an entire influenza strain was made extinct from one half rear end effort at universal masking by the world over ~6 months

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

eXXon posted:

speng is not the thread IK.

Anyway, thanks to the Leper's Colon, an insight into why vaxx appointments might be canceled besides supply shortages (well I suppose appointment-only pharmacies should be able to avoid overbooking, but...)

This is fake news everyone knows the jabs are a government plot and nobody is actually getting any. Just more disinformation being put out to justify the continued lockdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Scanned a brain mri on this lady who's apparently just been cycling covid for years and I don't know what the gently caress is going on with her brain I've never seen anything like it and the closest thing I can come up with when looking into it is reaction to covid infection invading the brain.

Doctors are working her up for some mystery metastatic cancer, but she doesn't have a history of cancer. I'm not saying it's covid, but I've never seen mets look like this in my entire career as a not radiologist.

Gunshow Poophole posted:

from hoerger's feed

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2811653

you'll be stunned to find that this is a betteridge's law situation

American hospitals already addressed this issue in the fall of 2020, gently caress yeah spread it.