Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
:kstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I started writing this post about avatars before all this happened but it stands now:

First and foremost - I will shut down the website before I turn off avatar purchases entirely. They've been part of this site for twenty years and are here to stay, forever. If you feel this violates the Geneva convention or whatever other wild exaggeration, please go post on some other website. We have deputized more than 200 mods and IKs to blank offensive avatars and they are downright quick about it.

I am willing to make the store change such that people need to log in to buy avatars, and I (and I alone) can see who purchased one. If someone doxxes someone in their avatar, I want to permaban them. But this is not going to be used for avatars that are simply insulting - it’s serious real-life poo poo only. I’m not going to even consider looking one of these up unless it would be an instant-permaban, by my discretion alone. I respect the privacy of the passive-aggressive avatar-buying box and I’m not going to discourage people from buying them by overzealously tattling on them.

If you guys want this feature to work, I must insist - do not create work for the admins by demanding they reveal an avatar buyer over insults. I am not going to allow the website volunteers to waste their time fielding an endless series of demands to know who bought a given avatar. If people can’t help themselves but work themselves into frenzies demanding to know who bought a given avatar, I will revert the change and we’ll go back to the old way. Don’t say you weren’t warned.

Overall, here’s where this stands:
  • Avatar purchases will not be turned off, ever.
  • I will require users to log in to buy avatars.
  • I alone will have access to that information and will use it only in the case of truly heinous avatars that I would instantly permaban someone for, and only when requested by the avatar receiver.
  • If I feel demands for revealing these are being abused in any way, I will undo this change and they will go back to being anonymous.

i like it

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

VostokProgram posted:

this, and I would also suggest that any moderator should be able to easily see "this av was purchased by the user for themselves" so that if someone tries this poo poo again Jeff doesn't have to wake up for it.

someone will just make a different account to get around this but i think this is still a good idea

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Theres really no need for that because if someone has bought themselves a hosed up AV, they won't use their own account and Jeff would still be able to match them together.

Keeping purchases knowledge as a Jeff only thing is something that we won't compromise on. Privacy is more important than anything.

thats understandable privacy ftw

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ol yeller posted:

her name was SPR, but its cool that your autocorrect just outed your fetish lol

lol

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

ol yeller posted:

And now we will goldmine.

That Little Demon posted:

he bought it for himself lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Fluffdaddy posted:

Why did they PM me today and you are randomly bringing them up here...

lmao