Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

juri and shiori don't exist after the series ends, whatever happens to them is up to the reader regardless

no they smooch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nevil Maskelyne posted:

juri and shiori don't exist after the series ends, whatever happens to them is up to the reader regardless

I have After Utena sitting beside me that someday I will read, but I know for fact Juri is in it.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

So I take it no-one wants to talk about the movie because of how much it sucks, huh?

I understand.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I finally finished the last two episodes. Even though I knew what would happen, it still hits hard.

Thankfully the movie comes up next and since it's just a retelling (or is it??) it can't hit as hard and leave me an emotional wreck.

Nephthys posted:

So I take it no-one wants to talk about the movie because of how much it sucks, huh?

:mods:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

following all you smart people's comments on the series was great, thank you for sharing
i only watched RGU for the first time earlier this year, really feels like one of those shows that i'll need to rewatch a few times before i can start articulating anything about it

Nephthys posted:

I understand.

i went into the movie after watching the series and really liked it, a primer i read before starting RGU at all suggested treating the movie as a sequel to the show and i really like that reading on the events i think
also, how can anyone dislike the utena-car

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Nephthys posted:

I understand.

i won't be able to watch it until next week unfortunately. unless i watch it on my phone but that seems like a crime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It would definitely be a crime to watch one of the most gorgeous looking animated movies ever on a phone.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Such a sadness…

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

Sakurazuka posted:

It would definitely be a crime to watch one of the most gorgeous looking animated movies ever on a phone.

i will stay strong then. only like 100 more hours of a life lived without seeing adolescence of utena.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nephthys posted:

I understand.

I'm assuming it sucks without the context of the show. I wouldn't try to use it to sell somebody on Utena.

With it, it's a whole vibe. I don't think the vibe sucks. Plus that ending sequence.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Nephthys posted:

I understand.

I haven't talked about the movie yet because it's been longer since I rewatched it and I've been too busy to rewatch it lately. I'll give my thoughts from what I remember though!

It's not as good as the show, but it provides some really good catharsis. And the show is so good getting mad that this doesn't live up to it would be unfair. Seeing Akio die and then his ghost get run over by the car is good. I don't think people who think Utena and Anthy aren't in love in the show are worth arguing with but it's really nice that the movie removes all room for doubt. The shadow play girls manning the radio station is delightful. Aesthetically it's incredible. Just absolutely gorgeous. The dance is beautiful. The ending is an incredible reinterpretation of the ending of the series that I love to pieces. "Let's go. To the outside world." And then the car stuff is bananas in the best way. I love how it shows Utena reaching out to Anthy in the exact same way she does in the finale as she's literally being transformed into the vehicle of Anthy's liberation. It's good stuff!

I do have some big problems with it, I don't like the way it lightens Anthy's skin and it's hornier than I'd like. By nature of its runtime it is just isn't going to be able to handle all the things the series did well. It feels a little exploitative at times, which the show proper never does. I also think a lot of the stuff before Juri's duel is kind of a weak retelling of the show, though I like a lot of the individual moments. I feel a little weird about the reinterpretations of all the characters but I think they work for what the movie is doing.

Overall it's good, and I'm willing to give into the spectacle even though I remember having a lot of problems with the way the first 2 acts of the movie handle things. Maybe I'll change my mind when I finally get around to it though, one way or the other.

Nevil Maskelyne
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
the ending sequence of End of Utena is good enough to make me love the entire movie retroactively forever

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

The movie at a glance looks like a retelling and can work as one, but if you have watched the series, then you recognize that this isn't the Anthy you saw on the early days of the show. She isn't wearing glasses, her hair is free, her personality isn't repressed, and she doesn't need Chuchu anymore to interact with the world. On the other hand, Utena starts the movie disguised as a boy, as if she still remember the last words Anthy told her just as she was stabbed.

The student council is still mostly there except for an obvious person: Nanami, who already sorted out her poo poo just as the series ended. Juri's strange memory about a drowning boy that seemed to have come out of nowhere before now is important.

Because, yes, this is a full fledged sequel! The cyclical nature of Ohtori Academy ensured Utena was stuck there along with those who didn't get out before. This time she has to face her own childhood trauma and we finally get the development on Touga that never made into the original series.

And when that's sorted out, and with herculean effort to do so (plus some extra help from the council), Utena and Anthy finally escape the cycle: this is it, reunited again as promised, together and forever.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I was half joking when I said that it sucks but honestly, I'm not a huge fan. It's fine I guess but it's hard for me to not be disappointed by the wasted opportunity. Sure, you can read it as a continuation of the story through a retelling but you could have just... continued the story. In a way that wasn't just retelling the same plot again but shorter, worse and more incoherently. Or do something different. I'm sure there were more stories you could have told that would have been more interesting than this.

And I just don't like the idea that Utena didn't get out at the end of the series. It makes the original ending worse for me and makes the mechanics of how the world work more arbitrary and confusing than it already was. This version of the end was also just worse. I'm gonna be the grump and say that I don't like the loving cars. It's too silly. Utena can be silly, but it knew when to be serious and the movie doesn't. And no Nanami? Unforgivable.

Also gently caress Touga, I refuse to feel bad about him in any version of the story. :colbert:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 3, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat that's the worst opinion I've read all week and I have multiple Games threads bookmarked

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I was half joking when I said that it sucks but honestly, I'm not a huge fan. It's fine I guess but it's hard for me to not be disappointed by the wasted opportunity. Sure, you can read it as a continuation of the story through a retelling but you could have just... continued the story. In a way that wasn't just retelling the same plot again but shorter, worse and more incoherently. Or do something different. I'm sure there were more stories you could have told that would have been more interesting than this.

This was my opinion after the last time I watched it, which was after my umpteenth time watching the show.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Nephthys posted:

And I just don't like the idea that Utena didn't get out at the end of the series. It makes the original ending worse for me and makes the mechanics of how the world work more arbitrary and confusing than it already was. This version of the end was also just worse. I'm gonna be the grump and say that I don't like the loving cars. It's too silly. Utena can be silly, but it knew when to be serious and the movie doesn't. And no Nanami? Unforgivable.

Also gently caress Touga, I refuse to feel bad about him in any version of the story. :colbert:

I don't disagree with your criticism. I wish they'd done something else with it myself. But I will say that when compared to other anime movies that retell the show but differently* I like this one a lot more than say, Aim for the Ace or Do You Remember Love. I just really think the cars work for me and so the third act is strong enough that I overall like it a lot.

*Which is a weirdly common thing! If anyone knows why please let me know

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Oh man, I can't believe I missed an entire rewatch of my favourite anime in the history of all things.

chrome line posted:

Akio gives a very dismissive monologue about how everyone forgot her (because systems of oppression fight to erase anything that breaks the mold, and if they can’t stop the deeds they can hide them from history). Anthy takes her glasses off (no longer hiding from the world) as Chuchu rejects Akio by taking off his earring and tie and says “You really don’t know what’s happened, do you? It doesn’t matter. By all means, stay in this cozy coffin of yours and continue to play prince. But I have to go now. She isn’t gone at all. She’s merely vanished from your world,” and walks away as Akio begs her to stay. “This time it’s my turn to go. No matter where you are, I swear I’ll find you. Wait for me… Utena,” as the kickass lalala version of the op plays and Anthy walks through the credits. I'm crying but also cheering. This ending is so unbelievably uplifting after what the rest of the show has been like.
When she steps out, the arena bells start ringing a chorus. Because she won.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
You can always rewatch and post your thoughts. It's legal and encouraged.

MissAnthropic
Jul 28, 2002

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i watched the movie. this is how i felt watching the last 20 minutes:

Big Leg posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Utena the series vs Utena the movie is the difference between eating chicken soup and eating a bullion cube- the same themes and allegories but so densely compressed that it feels dangerous to eat. Like I shouldn't be licking this thing, I should let it simmer but then I get poo poo like Anthy and Utena running over the false prince on a motorcycle and then make out while rose petals fly out in every direction and it's just, like, yeah sure this is dope.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
gonna write up a bigger post in a day or two when i steal a copy off the internet and can take pictures (the corpse of funimation that i used for streaming purposes is not good for this), but that was a gorgeous movie. at the start of the re/watch i said i was interested in utena's influence on revue starlight, and it definitely drew a lot of it's visual inspiration and identity from the neon red girders and scaffolding and machinery that just overwhelm this movie.

i also said i accidentally spoiled myself by googling 'utena car' a month ago while looking for pictures of the akio-mobile, but it didn't matter because i wasn't prepared for that ending at all. honestly i might like it as much as the show ending. i know it's silly, but there's just so much cathartic joy after all the misery we had to go through.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Yeah, the ending just works so perfectly for me. Can't wait to see your thoughts and choice of pictures! There's a lot of absolutely gorgeous stuff in there and I'm excited to see what you pick to focus on

Countzer
May 27, 2022
The movie and especially the end perfectly encapsulate and complete the themes of the show. It's a great continuation on the show, and I would never consider skipping it if I ever do a third rewatch. It's been a couple of years since I saw both show and movie, but I'll spoiler my thoughts on the movie's ending from the time that I did rewatch it, for anyone interested.

Considering a prevailing theme of Utena is the juxtaposition of the purity of childhood/impurity of adulthood, the car scene is a perfect fit for the ending. Like in the show, cars symbolize adulthood, but in a seedy way: A car is nothing more but a show; it looks cool but it ultimately fulfills a very childish desire. Utena throughout the film struggles with identity and what it means to be a prince. Princes and princesses are something that only really exist in a child's world: they are pure, heroic figures. The gallant prince and the princess who is pure of heart. That myth is twisted in adulthood. The prince turns into an amoral womanizer, the princess turns into his submissive slave.

Touga re-affirms the purity of those figures to Utena, his sacrifice was the reason she turned into a prince, and in remembering his sacrifice she gains the strength to enter the world of adulthood without her purity crushed. Through that re-affirmation, and her love and care for Anthy, she turns into a car. But unlike Akio's car, which is only for show, the car that Utena turns into is to help Anthy achieve two things: Defeat her own trauma and break the world's shell (which symbolizes reaching adulthood)

I feel how they manage to do it is fairly obvious throughout the car sequence, but for me the beautiful thing is that in the end, though they reach adulthood, their love for one another helps them not fall into the despair and impurity of the adult world. Love, ultimately, is the revolution. In becoming "pure" adults, they fundamentally change the world's status quo. Love demolishes the walls of gender and sexuality (Utena being a female prince for example) and the dichotomy of purity/impurity between child and adult.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the most important thing in the entire movie that i didn't notice until i went picture hunting: the wakaba car

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the movie is at it's best when it reinterprets iconic imagery or conversations from the show. pictured: chasms and beds, but slightly different this time around

the movie is at it's worst when utena and anthy aren't together talking. the touga stuff in particular feels like something they ran out of time for in the show and someone really wanted to make it part of the Authentic Utena Experience, but it's just too alien and incompatible with the rest of the movie. shiori gets to be scary and touga is randomly hiding under a sheet and everything looks gorgeous even if it doesn't thematically resonate with me so i'm not going to complain too much.

https://i.imgur.com/9BlYcUm.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/wICWeYR.mp4

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
the architecture of the movie is really fricking cool. here's some stuff i liked:

the shifting scenery props and backgrounds that remind us how staged and artificial the academy is

there aren't any spinning roses in the movie (unless i forgot), but pretty much every time someone breaks the 4th wall they're surrounded by columns with rose designs or scrollwork (when the shadow players remember akio exists 50 minutes into the movie, when utena and touga first meet and their conversation is something like 'hey we're back but this time it's different')

my favorite use of architecture are all the shots where characters are webbed in, pinned down, or straight up impaled by some element in the background.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i don't remember which episode it is but there's definitely one where anthy keeps messing with her garden hose in the background and eventually the spigot handle breaks off. well i'm happy the metaphor continues towards it's logical conclusion over the course of the movie.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i don't remember which episode it is but there's definitely one where anthy keeps messing with her garden hose in the background and eventually the spigot handle breaks off. well i'm happy the metaphor continues towards it's logical conclusion over the course of the movie.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Big Leg posted:

Agreed

Big Leg posted:

Agreed twice over

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
oops. that double post was for thematic reasons and not me being dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Big Leg posted:

the most important thing in the entire movie that i didn't notice until i went picture hunting: the wakaba car

Oh my god lol