Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I had a Cheryl who was extremely bad manners when I was learning Sadako and who was carrying her team. She came to unhook the one person I got on hook during the endgame, teabagged, turned to run, turned to teabag again AND that's when I downed her.

To be fair to the Cheryl, who, yes, got to go on the hook and get stared at in case she had some additional bullshit, her response was "lol gg" at the end.

I think it mostly sucks when you get overwhelmed and mocked as the killer, rather than just being outplayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Relyssa posted:

An upsetting amount of the time I spectate the last survivor or two after escaping/dying and watch them stand in the exit gate teabagging while the killer is across the map and cannot see them. I don't understand why they do this, but it keeps happening.
What? They just stand there and mash the button even if the killer isn't there or they don't hear TR?

What in tarnation lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

The one and only thing that puts me off of DbD is all the min-maxing, grognard bullshit that I refuse to learn.

I hear people talking about all the perks by name, and everybody who's deep into the game knows immediately what they mean and my eyes go cross. Everything on the Bloodweb, to me, looks identical with slightly different percentages that do things I can't even begin to comprehend. I like the basic gameplay, it's fine, and I pretty much only play killer when I play because survivor looks boring, but it feels like I'm missing out on 80% of the game by not really understanding the perks and what they do.
It's all just ways that those little shits get more slippery so they can put themselves into situations where they can spam the CTRL key

MFT is pretty broken because it means they get a permanent and consequential speed buff while running, and many of these people have been training in the gravity chamber to be able to perfectly run loops. I believe you can also stack various other things with it, leading to survivors you just cannot catch?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

My personal strategy for dealing with loops is just, don't. I see somebody running for a cluster of pallets and I just wander off back to generator patrol duty. I learned at least that much from my time in F13, when people would do the "jump through windows repeatedly" trick.
Yeah my usual rule is if I'm not making real headway in ten seconds or so, let 'em go and get back to patrols. The real funny thing, which happens more often than you might think, is when the survivor breaks off to try and regain my attention, like they think I just lost them.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Blasmeister posted:

I would be more scared of Hag if she actually existed. (she's almost Twins level of unplayed)
This is the peril of not playing much Survivor I suppose, I have no idea how common these things are, other than the new one probably having some popularity. Isn't Wesker the perennial hit now?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's a good move but trapper's problem is that he's just from a different game, one where people were less coordinated and getting injured was a bigger deal. I still think he is a satisfying killer to play from a design standpoint, because hearing a trap snapping closed one someone is a great effect for everyone involved, but in a practical sense there's too many mitigating factors now.
I've never played him but he sounds like Myers, where it's like this is a really simple concept and very strongly evokes the idea it's just gotten kind of outdated at higher levels because everyone knows how to counterplay/get around it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect some of the frustration is that many of the survivor tools either let them passively elude you, complete their objectives before you can move into the area and interact with them (by violence), or have allowed some kind of 'strike back'. I suspect if there were more abilities which had some kind of one-shot escape factor to them, they would be less frustrating, because the survivor is still doing what they're "supposed" to be doing (fleeing the killer).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Seemed like if you were dropping off a survivor and getting back to work the chances are small.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

Poppy Playtime has taught me that what this genre really needs is the ability for more killers to crawl around on/hang out on the ceiling, because it is super fun as killer and super terrifying as survivor. Also the Worms game has taught me that it is also fun to move around under the ground. And Worm Town and In Silence have taught me that handicapping the killer's sensing ability but making them powerful and fast is a great way to make them feel fun on both ends. Texas Chainsaw made me realize having multiple killers working together makes hunting really satisfying and also makes things tense as survivor. Friday the 13th made me realize I enjoy higher survivor counts and an expectation that at least some will get away during a killer "win" and its okay for that to happen. Combine this with a bunch of stuff I've learned playing DbD and Deception and HvZ, and I think...

I think putting it all together, I've decided what I want is this for my ideal killer game:

A game of three killer against eight survivors (plus a bunch of npcs that can be killed in fairly large numbers). One killer is slow moving but powerful, and relentless, and has the ability to break or move through walls or apply some sort of other environmental pressure - their primary purpose is to put constant pressure on the survivors rather than being a direct threat. When they are around, the survivors know, because they make lots of noise or something. Their sensing range is limited, but they can see well within those confines - the major counterplay is to ensure they are not near you. From the survivor perspective, this is the chasing horror and impending doom. From the killer perspective, this is power and strength and invulnerability.

The second killer has the ability to skitter around on ceilings, swim underwater, and move through tight spaces, allowing them to appear unexpectedly and strike at survivors before having to retreat somehow, with the potential to kill survivors but without the ability to engage in direct sustained conflicts. They also have the ability to hinder survivors by pinging them when undetected, letting the survivors know they were there and chose not to attack but weakening them against future attacks. They also have warped perceptive abilities, having to rely mostly on indirect methods of detecting and avoiding being detected by survivors until the time is right to strike. From the survivor perspective, this is the jumpscare and the fear of the unknown. From the killer perspective, this is cleverness and frightening people and putting them on edge.

The third role focuses on information gathering and infiltration, with the ability to disguise as a survivor or other npcs scattering the maps, setting traps or using other tools that provide information to their allies as to the survivors progress and positions. When they gain enough information or hit certain triggers, they temporarily become either powerful killers capable of moving quickly and doing high damage before reverting to their normal state or some other alternative - the ability to create decoy trap objects perhaps, or shut down player escape routes. From the survivor perspective, this is the hunter closing in on their prey and social anxiety. From the killer perspective this is the joy of deception, manipulation, and awareness of the moves you are making, the chessmaster setting up all the pieces to make his big dramatic move.

The survivors, meanwhile, need a combination of stealth, vigilance, speed and planning to visit multiple locations on the sprawling map. Each survivor is primarily securing a personal escape method (rather than a group escape method) but will also have the opportunity to pursue side objectives that can benefit their teammates escape progress (while providing no benefit to themselves). The tools at their disposal include options for cloaking or defending themselves temporarily from the ambusher, moving quickly from one part of the map to another to avoid the chaser, and hiding from or "testing" other players and npcs to reveal the infiltrator and set back their progress towards rage state while limiting their ability to gather info - but doing these actions uses up limited resources, so getting better at the game becomes about identifying the best situations for doing those things, and doing them without exposing themselves to one of the other killers. You dwindling resources can not be refilled, so managing them while achieving your objective is of paramount importance... and if it looks like you can't escape, there are a few objectives that will at least let you go out with a bang.

Anyway, never gonna happen, just dreaming.
A lot of this sounds pretty close to Left 4 Dead's multiplayer from the Infected side, doesn't it?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Terrible Opinions posted:

So it's only better for 90% of players if 90% of players are exclusively survivor players.
Well...

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kwolok posted:

Some of you maybe should consider not playing a game you seem to legitimately hate made by a team of devs you clearly absolutely hate.

Anti camping mechanic is fine. If it means some killers might be a bit worse off because of a few extremely edge case problems, but it means other people don't get face camped from minute one in a game that feels worth it to me. And I'm sure they'll tweak the really exploitative stuff.

Yes MFT still exists, and is proof that bhvr have no idea what balance is. But so does blight and nurse. Both sides have stupid obnoxious bullshit that bhvr has no clue how to reign in.

Like yeah the verticality thing feels like spaghetti code, but I'm assuming that's fixable. If not a system like this, how would you solve anti camping differently?
I would use this system but would program it somewhat better, perhaps to not start the countdown immediately, so that a killer who has the intended behavior (heh heh) has time to leave the immediate area and get back to work. The hook-near-a-gen situation is somewhat unfortunate so I'd look at the placement math; this might slightly hurt killers if it was rarer to have hooks in such great, convenient locations, though.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Relyssa posted:

A whole lot of Ghostfaces today, including one that teabagged me quite a lot, led me to the gate when I was the last one left, made a big show of letting me open the gate, then dragged me out and hooked me, teabagging the entire time. Very rude.
“Now you know how it feels!!!!!”

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I also sometimes get completely skunked. If that happens I don't even go to the gate, lol, gently caress 'em

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

OxMan posted:

He literally was calling this stuff out on day 1 and the entire room was already laughing at the dead game until mods had to step in. Imagine beingq BHVR, having a free resource like otz, and pissing on it at every single opportunity.

The only fun i ever had with meet your maker after the shoe dropped after day 1 (basically the second tier of stuff you get means you don't die unless you're bad at fps games or have slow reflexes) was basically building a giant 3Dmaze with tons of optical illusions and doubled paths and dead ends that had exits into the outside of the maze that then doubled as a secondary maze. The first co op team that made it through took an hr and 4 minutes. 4 deaths only, just running around trying to exit the maze haha. After someone beat it (took me like 2 days to build) i never touched the game again why would i playing even solo raider is cake with good equips.
Even if it's dead, is the idea here that you build a maze and kind of put it up there and people run it? It seems like you'd want to give people some reward for running even if they don't die

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Oh yeah, I find the entire discourse about Lightborn weird as gently caress. "Just look at a wall! You're wasting a perk!" A) Looking at a wall often doesn't do poo poo, you'll get blinded with your face wedged inside the shack B) The killer has very little say on where a survivor actually falls down, if they do so in the middle of the cornfield or something then what wall, C) if the killer is wasting a perk on Lightborn then I would assume you, survivor, should be happy about that. The gently caress are you whining about
You know how people who are trying to sell their scam securities to other idiots are among the biggest advocates of DIAMOND HANDS BUY AND HODL? same principle

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I look at the sky while advancing towards the hook and/or getting my knife/axe/disgusting monster hands ready

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Myers II: Stab Harder

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kwolok posted:

At this point you can't see the forest for the trees. Namaste homie. Stop normalizing toxic behavior because its been "happening for a while now".

This reeks of "You wouldn't survive a cod lobbby back in my day"
My sibling in Jeffrey, you are talking about the person playing the Killer. It is absolutely intuitive that they are going to focus on killing, and without Moris (which you might not know about for some time) you kill people by putting them on hooks til they explode and the Entity inhales their souls.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Vanguard Warden posted:

Dead by Daylight & Friends: I guess winning as killer in general is toxic. :shrug:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Let them feel fear

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Had a game yesterday as Michael where a bot ran to shack, I kept kicking the gen there for Nowhere to Hide and I was watching the bot stare right at me through the walls matching every step I took. I'd go left, he'd go right. I'd go right, he'd go left
That's hilarious. Though to be fair to BHVR it seems the main point of bots is to fill in when some punk DCs (willingly or otherwise) and not make it a death sentence for the team. Do you get BP for bot games?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I figure they're just working heel

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Yeah from what I've seen in any convo other than her gameplay her design is what turned a lot of people off. A business woman in a mask.

I don't know how much that has to do with people still assuming she was a quick rework of Predator (which I'm unsure how accurate that is anyway). But...yeah I can see the complaint. Some of her alternate costumes are cool though!
What, they don't want to be toxic to Capitalism and then teabag it on their way out the escape gate?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Medullah posted:

Green puke, to clarify. Corrupt Purge takes a stack when you ejaculate.
Hey, phrasing

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Relyssa posted:

Plague owns a lot, especially at shutting down a lot of the really irritating stuff survivors like to pull. Even if they cleanse so much the fountains reset you're probably still okay, she's just that good. Also she's not played very often so survivors really don't know how to deal with her very well. Worst case scenario you're an M1 killer against a team that all go down in one hit and loudly puke their guts out every so often. Best case scenario you are a ranged goddess who will gently caress up every single poo poo.
Also: voice lines! If in cryptic fake Assyrian or whatever

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

That or the ones who crawl away to an area where there aren't any hooks. If you're doing that when people are still left alive, fair. If you're doing that when you're the only one left, I'm not sure what you're expecting other than a slow death
Hoping to find hatch?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Good news, she's just going to tunnel you because that's the only play style left that can give her a win
At a certain point, what's the point of having all these varied play styles if it's going to collapse down into this?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Umbreon posted:

I'm really glad BHVR is trying new things but this sounds like a horrendous nightmare for no benefit whatsoever for survivors and it's just going to send kill rates into the high 90s lol
gently caress them survivors

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Haha yeah gently caress them, those toxic assholes should just quit and killers can stab bots all day
*presses the CTRL key repeatedly for obscure purposes*

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Tiny Myers posted:

I love when someone teabags and clicks then when you decide to hard tunnel them and ruin their match they DC. Like genuinely what were you expecting buddy
They wanted to feel something

Anything

(So they felt the hook ig)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Had a game as Legion where the entire group was close enough on my first Frenzy I hit all of them and then downed a Meg for the last hit. Ada rushes an unhook before I could take more than a few steps away. Meg apparently gives up and just stands there, after a few seconds of staring at her I went gently caress it and put her out of her misery. Game ends with everyone dead except Ada who gets to hatch

Ada: Tunneling at five gens

...yes, I tunneled your entire team at once, I am just that talented
So unfair to hit survivors

When I’ve dabbled with survivors I’ve often seen people ask “genrush?” And I am like: isn’t that the same thing as “playing the game “

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Relyssa posted:

this jackass waited at the gate to flashbang me on the way out while their friends tbagged furiously all around them

i got 2 hooks and zero kills it could not have been any easier for them

what the gently caress is wrong with this community
And yet, they tell me my wrath is wrong

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So do people really just go hide in a locker and AFK until they can get hatch? Like I guess that'd be an easy way to farm but it seems... dull

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I mostly ran Ultimate Weapon to prevent people from squirreling away in a bush forever once two people were left in a match, so it's kind of unfortunate they can just run Distortion and do that now with impunity. Oh well
Doesn't Doctor solve this?

Really, now that I think of it, I always have a great time when I'm playing the Doc.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Doomykins posted:

The true horror is the idiots in the twitter thread saying "who cares?"

:thumbsup: Thanks for being saps, dudes.
I think you mean X, The Everything App.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This seems like it would work against the altruism angle and while I have never put much time into survivor, it seems to me that there is probably a substantial draw to the idea of being able to play with your friends, help your friends, save your friends, etc.

However it seems like you could give every survivor one charge, which basically spends a hook state to do it. I just had the idea of being able to do it even when off the hook, but THAT would sure feel bad even at that price.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

Really in a few weeks we're going to be right back to where we were before, your teammate has DS so they furiously teabag after being unhooked. Then get their DS and teabag some more after that, losing the two seconds that would have been gained from the DS buff :v:
But they managed to slightly annoy another human being, making it all worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

So how's Doctor doing playwise? I was reading the last few pages and thinking that while I've had frustrating games, I've always seemed to enjoy playing Doctor. I think it's because of his cheery attitude and the fact that even if you get skunked, you're definitely going to annoy the survivors.