Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Soylent Yellow posted:

Shouldn't be an issue. £3000 is chickenfeed in bank terms. I deal with a lot of customers who pay in cash for *reasons*, and they've never had any issues withdrawing several thousand over the counter. Multiple withdrawals of £9999 however.....

When I worked in anti money laundering, you were much, much more likely to get your transactions very closely scrutinised for 9800-9999 than you were for just withdrawing 20k.

People seemed to think there was just a trigger at 10k and anything else didn’t matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Well, what do they expect when they close all the public toilets?

"In the GreenPee urinal-cum-planter" is a great line though.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Pistol_Pete posted:

I was thinking about this: bloody hard to hide these days, if you don't have people willing to help you out and conceal you.

Did you ever watch Hunted on channel 4? Gameshow where the contestants need to hide from a crew of 'Hunters' who track them using CCTV, ANPR, bank transactions, email tracing etc. Was good fun, (a lot was simulated, as they didn't actually have access to bank transactions etc the rule was that if they did an ATM withdrawal the camera crew with them would phone in their location, etc).

The reason I mention it is in one of the series two brothers did a really good job of cleaning everything in advance, except they forgot to empty the recycling bin on their gmail which had an enquiry about a campsite on the coast.

Except they hadn't, they had left that on purpose and instead went to Bradford where they disappeared into the Muslim community for a while, with people who would let them stay with them without spending any money (which is the downfall of a lot of the contestants).

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Julio Cruz posted:

I swear BBC news has got even worse, somehow

Chris Kaba was "hit by a bullet which went through the windscreen of the car he was travelling in"

how that bullet got there? :iiam:

I can’t find it now but there’s a great infographic which shows how “police shoot a man” turns into “a man died in a shooting in which an officer was involved”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

That’s the one, great stuff.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Marmaduke! posted:

Lol it's like when my wife was getting a new front door, literally told them we could spend no more than £1000, their quote was an extremely generous 995

I’ve been getting this a lot with quotes for work at my business.

“I need x y a”
‘What’s your budget?”

No motherfucker, you tell me what it will cost - I know nothing about this, you do it all the time. Knowing what I have to spend should have nothing to do with it.

When you don’t give a budget you can get all sorts of fun quotes. I had three quotes for doors at the front of the railway arch to keep the heat in over winter. £3.2k, £3.7k, £12.7k(!)

If I had given a budget of £5k I suspect I would have received quotes for £5k, £5k, £5.3k.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Reveilled posted:

Sounds like someone saw that meme from Initial D and decided to make it into a game

The best solution to the trolley problem.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I got 5 codes:

bsky-social-uwg5l-b7u7p
bsky-social-siuab-jh75m
bsky-social-4z6iq-y7pcq

bsky-social-dtw2g-awoep

bsky-social-74m63-j5fti

Rarely use it because I ended up following the same people I was on twitter, and had the exact same problem - there's very little difference between a feed made entirely of fascists saying hateful poo poo, and a feed full of leftists who only ever post 'look at the hateful poo poo these fascists are saying.'

Thank you - I’ve used the fourth one, will give it a go.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Angepain posted:

Surely some of the blood would splash on it and soak in, would be a right bugger to clean

That’s how he saves some for later, when he needs a quick blood hit when out and about.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

bessantj posted:

Just waiting for a Labour MP to finally come out and say "look, we just don't care about muslims, alright!"

monkey’s paw clenches

LAB +5

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Maybe you could convince people to replace Tory blowhards with chat gpt. Probably has better alignment with human morality.

You could ChatGPT half the loving journo articles, that’s for sure.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The podcast “British Scandal” did a 5 part series on it too.

First one at https://overcast.fm/+tK8MTUMHA

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Runcible Cat posted:

I nominate Michael Fabricant's wig. It'll be the least horrifying PM for years.

All riggghttt

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

keep punching joe posted:

Pee and poop update:

Unprecedented diarrheal outbreak erupts in UK as cases spike 3x above usual

far, it's unclear what's driving the extraordinary burst in cases. The outbreak has splattered into almost every region of all four UK nations. "Given the scale and geographical

Lovely choice of word.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

smellmycheese posted:

I always have big respect for the nations who set their time to half past, because gently caress you GMT.

Nepal is at a 45 minute offset because they want to be distinct from India.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Skarsnik posted:

This all sounds like an excellent argument for

*nods while looking at the Culture Mind which runs everything for us*

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Are they the lot who unfurled the banner of Mussolini previously? Because that was pretty good in my book.

To be clear - it wasn’t a pro Mussolini banner.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

i was in wren kitchens earlier trying to design ym kitchen and the guy put a narrow wine chiller in and was like 6 bottles!

i looked at him in disgust and said where do the boxes go?

needless to say I'll be building my own kitchen

I had Wren design the kitchen in my old flat, and they sent a guy round who spend two hours on his laptop modelling out everything.

I then spent more than 3 weeks hassling them to try and get a start date for the work, before I gave up, sent the plans to a local guy and he built it for 2/3 the price.

It had that same vertical wine cooler.

That’s my Wren story.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

OwlFancier posted:

Why does terry limit himself to making only commonplace shapes, why not terry's chocolate tesseract?

The united kingdom could be a word leader in extradimensional chocolate engineering.

Hell, let’s just wake the Old Ones and get some proper non-Euclidean chocolate shapes going on. Can’t be worse than this government anyway.

I think this WhatsApp enquiry is interesting because it’ll probably be the last time we ever get this sort of insight into government. No-one realised their WhatsApp messages could become public so it’s a level of information we just aren’t used it. And it won’t happen again, now they’ll learn to use disappearing messages and the like.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Kin posted:

Three has a £6 per MB charge for Morocco.

That's only 1.6GB of data to reach £10k.

You could probably hit that without realising by just listening to Spotify for a few hours or watching a YouTube video.

Tldr, I'm too clumsy to not check my data roaming settings so I'm never leaving the country to prevent me from bankrupting my family.

I went over few years back when my phone casually downloaded a several gig iPhone update over cellular, so I don’t find it hard to believe at all.

Also, what of reason for the tubes not starting until 3 today? I can’t find it anywhere, doesn’t seem to be engineering or strikes, but is scheduled.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The BBCs live blog coverage of this is really pro match, it’s nice to see. “Protest remains peaceful” a lot, pointing out that all the arrests are counter protestors etc. Refreshing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Byrne's note, remorse bared,
Empty coffers, echoes woe,
Apology ink.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

forkboy84 posted:

The same year's Tour de France had some similar train rides. So many in fact that the guy who finished 5th was named winner (despite having also been warned for taking a car). And brandy was a regular into the '60s. Noble sport

As was dropping a sugar cube with cocaine on it onto the riders tongue from the team car.

Or riding through villages where the villagers would ambush and beat the other riders so their local guy could get past.

All without any gears on the bike. First 50 years of the tour was wild.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Huge if true.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I haven’t seen toys in cereals for years. Did it get outlawed?

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

“I’m just off to the East 17 Christmas concert! Oh, arresting me for saying Christmas are we?!”

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

HopperUK posted:

Great now I'm thinking about the scale of the universe and I have to go to work in a minute

When you shuffle a deck of cards you’ve created a pattern never created before.

There are more options (8 followed by 67 zeros) than atoms on earth.

Sleep well!

Also, for Fairytale of New York, just sing “you scumbag you maggot, you’re cheap and you’re haggard”, as that’s what Kirsty herself sang live after being educated on how problematic the original lyrics were.

343 is far fewer than the number of different shuffles possible with a pack of 52 cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Some one out there has a cold fusion reactor in their basement but they're using it to boil water for personal use because it’s more affordable than a gas boiler.