Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lol dang, gradually learning ultra blue districts are also not good for democracy. My district’s rep knows they have a job for life unless they are primaried & GOP barely bothers to run candidates to lose by 80%, so gets a pass on iffy decision making & grand standing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

They really aren’t. DC’s Democratic Party filed a lawsuit aimed at keeping a ranked-choice ballot initiative off the ballot, in a city that went like 9:1 for Biden and Clinton over Trump, and argued that minority voters would be “confused” by the concept. Our minuscule Republican Party also joined in on the suit, which goes to show that both parties have a vested interest in keeping our lovely status quo going so long as it benefits him.

Democracy should be as messy as it needs to be and the fact that both parties are against this, as well as term and age limits, are all the more reason why we need them, and also 3rd/4th parties as well.

Yeah it’s ridiculous. Wasn’t happy to learn Strom Thurmond was the reason my vote for president is meaningless as if it mattered in my ultra blue state the democrats would be losing in a national landslide, and he blocked Nixon’s push to do away with the the electoral college as he wanted to keep George Wallace as a threat to drain away segregationist states as a spoiler.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

It was fun hearing arguments about return to the office to “think of the poor landlords.” My building at my MegaCorp is rented from a billionaire who’s dead.

I acknowledge WFH doesn’t fit all roles & many people don’t want to be at home, but I drastically prefer it & can easily do my work. Interestingly it has improved my connections with coworkers as I’m not particularly close to my team & don’t love hearing them gossip for hours each day, but only talking to them maybe 30 minutes a week in meetings we get along much better.

Wasabi the J posted:

I'm betting the oil and car industry were making GBS threads their pants about the loss of the whole commuter class and spent a few million on propaganda pieces like social media campaigns

100%, already some of the worst collection of people, if they could make it mandatory to drive 100 miles a week they would.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 14, 2023

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'm an interp ranger, so my training is in desperately telling people why they shouldn't do that before they get themselves gored :v:

I don't know how great of a resource I would be since I'm still relatively fresh (Just started my first perm gig 6 months ago after spending 5 years as a seasonal), but I'd be happy to try and answer any questions you may have. I believe there may be some other NPS or BLM folks in the Federal Job thread as well.

Whoa nice, ranger work always seems fascinating. In your experience are the benefits acceptable if not spectacular? A buddy was a WA state ranger & exactly the type of worker they would want long term as he had a degree in biology & is bilingual, hard working/affable & saved a life with their defibrillator kit, & has encyclopedic knowledge of WA wildlife. The problem was they paid near starvation wages even with housing provided & he did the math & realized if he stuck around his family would be in near poverty. Changed jobs & doubled pay overnight.

Got the impression while most of the other rangers were ok they had needed to lower standards to have staff. One ranger mostly known for making moms who brought kids to the park uncomfortable backed a truck up to the breakroom & loaded up the shared fridge to give to a buddy who was a bar owner. That’s it that was his whole plan, somehow hoping no one would notice or that he wouldn’t be instantly caught & fired, which he was.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

hey remember that time the Hyundai plant in Alabama got caught with a bunch of 14 year olds working the graveyard shift

I used to work for a MegaCorp reading human rights audit reports for overseas factories, performative nonsense & everyone knew it was just to check a box & weed out the ridiculous offenders. Every factory had two weeks notice minimum so any kids were kept home the morning of the audit, although some foolish owners refused to accept this slight drop in productivity & would stash them in the boiler room which when discovered meant no more orders.

It was interesting to hear stories from our auditors as they’d seen a lot, I did not know a business existed that made people into Christmas trees. Well, to be fair the guy fell in the boiling plastic & they had to throw the batch out but still.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Enjoyed Come From Away, good mix of songs & story. Also saw community theater production of Little Shop of Horrors that had a 10/10 giant plant monster prop, that owned.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Crab Dad posted:

Hamilton was ok. Not a huge fan of the constant rap style. The songs are quite good. The kings stuff really was comedy gold.

Best show I saw this year was Hades Town followed by Six.

Yeah Hamilton is fine, if I’d seen it cold probably would have been amazed but it was so culturally saturated at that point definitely lessened the impact. Was a bit too much when Nytimes was telling people to sell all they own to see it but also didn’t really deserve knee jerk scorn from the far left.

She Loves Me was fun & light hearted.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

Welp relations between Canada and India are about to get very chilly indeed. Looks like the Indian government had a Canadian Sikh nationalist capped on Canadian soil. Just PNG'd a diplomat for it.

Whoa! Can’t imagine making that accusation of a powerful non-pariah state if they weren’t 110% sure. And even then, big to do so publicly instead of quietly.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Assassinating that guy would appear to be totally not worth any retribution, so I can only imagine that India expected not to get caught, or that Canadian leaders would just let it slide.

Probably watched too much Americans but wondered why India went with sending masked men to shoot the guy near a Sikh temple when that would 100% draw massive heat when they could have stabbed him in a parking lot or his garage & made it plausible it was a robbery, then remembered how France’s intelligence service responded to Greenpeace protesting nuclear tests & realized sometimes countries make mistakes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Still think Newsom/Fetterman 2024 would be a powerhouse ticket that would cleanup on downballot races. I know Newsom isn’t ideal but he has national profile & contempt for maga nonsense & Fetterman is becoming one of the most popular Dems nationally. Know we’re gonna get stuck with Biden/Harris limping across the finish line but oh well.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Check out the latest ad for X: the everything app

https://twitter.com/edzitron/status/1704848251667808330?t=zqTBPveRsia0GvOfDCbb0Q&s=19

It's really like yesterday where Elon was like I HAVE A REALLY GOOD IDEA, POST YOUR VIDEOS TO X in a reply to... Taylor Swift

Hahahaha claiming people will make thousands from ad revenue sharing on popular posts. Kinda doubt that will be the reality.

I miss early 2000s internet where MegaCorps didn’t have it all figured out & it was 100% worth the time to sign up for overly generous contests. For this Kellogg cereal one I saw the ad & submitted one code from a box sitting around the house & about a week later my sealed copy of PaRappa the Rapper arrived: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph1chSwpbh4

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Add a budget to the things I feel should be considered under the purview of national security. Just like transportation and utility infrastructure.

E: also I can't help but feel some of the GOP are taking cash from russia to do this kind of poo poo.

Considering a senior senator was just caught taking bribes from Egypt, guessing significant numbers are on the take for embarrassingly small amounts from unexpected countries. Wonder how much routine corruption would vanish if Congressional salaries were raised to $2 million annually. Would be trivial in the budget but would cut out so much.

For the shutdown, yeah guessing a few weeks minimum. Kinda wish shutdowns meant air travel grounded & social security checks don’t go out to create screaming pressure for our awful leaders to get it together or be immediately replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Defenestrategy posted:

Is speakership one of those majority things where we cant have the funniest timeline where the dems end up with a house speaker because the republicans each wanna knife each other for their preferred death cultist?

I believe that’s not likely as they’d be instantly replaced as soon as the Republicans put up a candidate they could agree on. And if a small group of republicans kept voting to retain the Democrat speaker they’d almost certainly be primaried.