Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--Yeah I think Stroud was still considered the clear #2 at the end, testing issue aside.

Kirios posted:

Oookay we're having a little revisionist history here - Young was clearly the #1 option in the draft everywhere by the time it was rolling around. It would have been a massive surprise if Stroud was taken #1.

Hell, Stroud was by no means the second best QB overall - Richardson was approaching him by the end and there were a lot of people saying the Texans won't draft him and just kick the can to next year. They got slight pushback for picking Stroud.

It's all obviously worked out great for the Texans, but Stroud wasn't viewed as that slam dunk guy back then.

It is still incredibly funny how completely diametrically opposed people who sat through watching Richardson's games and should have been fans of his opinions were to the draftniks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Laughing remembering after the first couple of weeks when a lot of people were like 'see? Love is good!'

Sure a completion% under 60% isn't good, but 3 TDs and no picks two weeks in a row. Against the...Bears and Falcons. And they actually managed to lose to the Falcons somehow anyway.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You want to fire a straight shooter like this? He's just telling you how it is.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I do not understand from a logical standpoint not using motion on every play where you're not going tempo. You don't need to do a whole shift or anything, just a little motion to help the QB read the coverage. Line up in the wrong spot, get to the right spot and gain information. Maybe you line up in the wrong spot if they expect you to get to the right spot and don't do it and you get a free play of some sort.

It's not particularly hard compared to playing football as a whole to get the play off and not get a flag.

I'm not even talking the fancy flash outs the Dolphins and others have started doing, just like, move someone around before the snap. You're allowed to, and it may tell you things.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

CapnAndy posted:

and rebuilds happen in a year or two in today's league. Your time in the wilderness will be likely be very short. But a continual playoff also-ran? You've got good players, not great, but they're still good and they've still got to be paid, and at the end of the day, the only difference between getting knocked out in the divisional round and finishing last is that you get a much shittier draft pick.

Citation needed here on the first bit for a few teams I'm guessing. But yeah I spent 25 years watching the Chiefs in more or less the same position we're talking about and by far the most fun as a whole were the Marty Schottenheimer years at the time, even though you knew he was flaming out in the playoffs. 2003 was the most fun season during that 25 year span under Vermeil, but that was never going to hold up.

There's a reason people loved Marty even though he never won anything other than a whole lot of regular season games.

Diva Cupcake posted:

:laffo:

Why don’t you just luck your way into an elite QB?

I mean for a Jets fan the first couple of Rex Ryan years are probably pretty goddamned good memories. ...and then things fell apart as they do.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 15, 2023

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

This does not include the SIX years Norv got.

Norv was one of those coordinators who for his time was a little too good and kept getting head coaching jobs. And he was not a good head coach and it was obvious from the start everywhere. But he always lasted for a while. The man was HC for 237 NFL games.

Just sort of a fascinating career to me to ponder.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Derek Carr really, really hates getting hit, so I don't know how that'd go with what the Jets OL has looked like this year.

One broken leg killing an arguable MVP season and it was pretty much over. Not really, he was still pretty good, but I do think his game changed after that.

David had to go through a lot more before it was obviously over, like jabs vs a knockout. Cursed QB family.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is a fun game to play. I don't think they win but 2009 AFC West: Josh McDaniels, Todd Haley, Tom Cable, Norv Turner.

When you make Norv the best head coach by far on the list you are putting a little work in.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Pickett also had the whole 'home town boy owning in college going to the Steelers' thing going for him. And to his credit he really did a lot for that Pitt team his last year.

Which shouldn't make a difference but a whole lot of words were wasted on stories talking about it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

I mean McDaniels is a really good OC with a long, long career of building an offense around great QB's.

Feel like there's a sample size of exactly one great QB here and otherwise he has one okish year with Carr before firing him for freaking Jarett Stidham. He has been trash at every other place he's been.

Sure he had no chance with the Rams at OC but I will never forget the time he had 8 or 10 shots or something ridiculous at the end zone due to defensive penalties inside the five (many inside the one) with a super hobbled Sam Bradford and kept calling sprint out passes and such every play until he finally gave up and let Steven Jackson score.

I don't know, maybe you're right and he's great as an OC with Herbie and whatever crew they can put together. I just wouldn't call it automatic I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I keep picking the Falcons to win every week because I am insane, but they have won more than I would have expected them to.

Also fire Arthur Smith before the game. Right this instant.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

You'd have to add half the forum to your ignore list to not see the replies since we're all very dumb and keep talking to him.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Sunshine posted:

I don't want him coaching the Raiders because I think AP has earned a full season but I also don't want him going to San Diego!

Well if he went to San Diego he probably wouldn't bother anyone too much at least.

Could eat his steak with a side of milk and maybe bother some kids by throwing footballs at them way too intensely and we'd never have to hear about him again.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

indigi posted:

his hand is warm at best

I mean compared to what came before he's holding his hand over a candle and not flinching.

It is still amazing to me to think how quickly Josh McDaniels blew his second chance at a head coaching job. All you really had to do was not make everyone hate you, and you couldn't manage to do that.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Barudak posted:

I believe interim head coaches should get a lump sum bonus for a battlefield promotion, but hiring them as a head coach has almost never actually worked.

Wade Phillips was a little better than we remember him as HC. Um, Jason Garett exists?

I suppose if you're the Cowboys keep your interim coach because it's possible you'll do worse?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

As long as you, you know, constantly bring in new guys to replace them *cough*

Going through this one in KC...not as bad as the Pats, but let's just say I want the crazy guy who wouldn't kick field goals if they were exactly 43 yards gone.

There are tons of problems with the Chiefs offense, but Matt Nagy is not any part of a solution I don't think.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

All his ligaments are much younger tho

Well, not all of them really. Man's ACLs have seen some stuff. Also his non-throwing shoulder.

He's put some wear on that body.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I think Pete is a good coach about everything except gameday decisions which he's consistently terrible at and wanting to establish the run a little too much /ducks from the establish the run crowd.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

He probably ends up back in Kansas City with some new made up title.

I'd take him back as OC right now, but Andy doesn't operate like that and Nagy has to fail a lot more than he has before he gets the axe.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MikeCrotch posted:

I thought they were lining up for a tush push not victory formation, but at least under NCAA rules saying you are doing victory formation then running a play is an unsportsmanlike conduct

This was from this year in the NCAA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O499y-lFVy0

I mean maybe the refs blew the call or something, it's the NCAA (vastly outshines the NFL in this category). But other than some people whining about it I am unaware of this rule.

e: could be a specific rule I don't know about at end of games instead of end of halves, the NCAA has always been overly worried about running up the score.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 8, 2024

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Poco posted:

Lol if they keep bill and hire a GM with personnel control.

I can't imagine being a GM and telling Belichick 'no' about something. I have a track record here from the last decade+ that says I'm right, but Bill is going to rip me a new one for wanting to draft a good WR prospect. Or considering hiring assistant coaches he is not familiar with already and pointing out the bad ones.

Nightmare of an imagined job.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

FizFashizzle posted:

So you’re saying they need an older CEO type coach with connections who’s open to giving up personnel duties?

Hmm. HMMM

I don't know if this is what you're specifically referencing (you have a few of these down the line) but Rivera to Philly would be hilarious. And only more funny if it actually worked...which...I don't know, that might work to some extent.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Shinji2015 posted:

How well would he and Pete get along?

Beef History answers this I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLB5SLzvalc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Black Lighter posted:

Yeah, Lockett especially is the perfect blend of too old to keep around for a rebuild/still good enough to get reasonable value in a trade. Maybe they can't get back the second they spent on Williams, but I don't think a third would be unreasonable.

I don't want to spend a third on Lockett anymore, but at the same time I'd take him right now for the Chiefs. He has a track record of at least not embarrassing himself.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Pete's wayyy too old to go anywhere and if he's in the advisor role at Seattle they won't hire Harbs bc those two do not like each other.

Have you considered Michigan really likes their old people? Obviously not happening but that's the place where you could imagine it happens. Old rear end Pete might be too fun for them though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

shirts and skins posted:

Not NFL, but now Saban is out. Do these things come in 3s? Bill Belichick, come on down?

poo poo I hadn't been following the college thread/news to avoid Michigan trolling and/or Michigan posting in either direction.

This is a rather large happening to say the least, kinda late in the coaching cycle for Bama.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Saban retiring is actually huge for this thread.

Like, go to the Raiders or go to Alabama?

I suspect Harbaugh is NFL bound to wherever, he doesn't want to deal with the NCAA's crap which might actually hurt him a little bit if he stayed.. He had his dream job, he won the championship, he doesn't have any connection to Bama other than perhaps a dumptruck full of cash, but he can get that truck in other places.

e: I just assume that's who you were talking about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Feel like the Falcons would be a beautiful disaster with Belichick, but maybe a better disaster than the Falcons typically are.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Rough gig, but probably the guy who wants it and is as right for the job as possible though.

It's gonna be all about coordinators and assistants though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

sean10mm posted:

Belichick's brainworms involving the wide receiver position specifically have been consistently amazing, and I'll believe any story about him sucking at doing anything with it.

I think the man has some sort of problem with receivers who talk poo poo which (almost) all good receivers do...while at the same time loving DBs who talk poo poo, which again, all of the good ones do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kalli posted:

Snap would take awhile to go back 20 yards, odds are you'd just line up some DE's in wide 9 and separate your middle from the rest of you.

Or if you have the long snapper doing it that thing is coming in like a fastball and you have to practice that stuff to catch it.

Just put me under center and I'll immediately lob something pathetic up that any fat man in the league can pick off unless my line takes care of them every play. Until I die of course, but up to that point I'm handing out candy like it's halloween.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Toaster Beef posted:

Or do you look at some of the coaches on the market — including one of the winningest coaches of all time whose defensive chops this season were still really, really loving good despite having absolutely nobody of note on that side of the ball — and wonder if maybe this roster's window can stay open a while longer?

I'm just gonna say you really do not want Kirk Ferentz.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Some teams will actually give a series of specific game situations and ask how they would handle each one - as the coach's most important job is to you know, actually coach on game day.

I will always argue this the the coach's least important job and one they should hand off to good assistants. Be instructed to throw that challenge flag or call that time out or go for it or kick, your real work is done during the week getting the game plan together.

Adjustments in game when the other team messes up your BS in one way or another should fall mostly on the coordinators. In theory at least.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Chargers could maybe make use of as much D as they can get on the other hand.

(preemptive get your minds out of the gutter here after reading that)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

i'm a little confused lately do Cowboys fans want him fired so much just because of what happened in the playoff game? Or is there more to it? Because honestly Dallas had a great season

Great season up until it mattered. I think it's just an ongoing perception of fat Mike at this point.

Think Marty except not loveable. And slightly better in the playoffs but not to the point where he's better enough. Does that mean he should be fired? Hell if I know, but I'm not exactly buying super bowl tickets if I had the money to for the Cowboys next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

From what I can tell Caleb spent half the season setting the world on fire and the other half just being pretty good most of the time while his team crumbled.

I don't know what that says for Kliff, you can argue it either way. Either he helped make the guy good or he didn't make use of a possibly generational talent (obvious arguments to be had here too) later.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DeimosRising posted:

Is cousins to Atlanta a real possibility? I’m no great cousins booster but with the skill position talent they have, Cousins being very much in the pure pocket, risk averse mode Belichick/McDaniels prefer, and Bill running the defense, that seems like it could actually be a very good team

Re-tooling Russ would seem to be the funnier version of this. I don't think it would work, I don't even know if there's a way to make it happen because of the insane contract/etc, but it's fun to imagine Bill having to deal with Russ.

I imagine all of those little needling comments Belichick does watching film just flowing off of Wilson and whatever persona he decided on for the day.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Why haven't more teams interviewed Harbaugh?

There's so much weirdness going on there both with the man himself and with the 'will we or won't' go along with any NCAA BS he has coming along with him.

That was a thing right? Like supposedly the NFL might suspend him for a period if the NCAA rules against him for his...rather obvious cheating? But not super bad cheating, just...cheating.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

MikeCrotch posted:

Hey Bill Callahan got fired from the Raiders and has been one if the best O-line coaches in the league to this say

There is a whole lot of Callahan's journey to go through though to get back to being an ok line coach. With the Raiders that's the first time a player rebellion had the press 100% on the side of the players I can remember.

And maybe it would have happened anyway whoever they hired but there's the whole destroying Nebraska thing, which involved ancient rear end Tom Osborne coming out of retirement to get rid of him. (which led to the hiring of Bo Pelini, which is also funny)

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BlindSite posted:

I'm sort of surprised BoB didn't get a look as a HC somewhere. I would have been fine with us kicking the tyres on him. Maybe he just wanted to be back in the collegiate ranks.

I think the shine is just off of him for the moment. It is interesting he didn't stick around with Bill and I'm curious about that. Does Bill just like McDaniels so much that gets rid of the guy who made Christian Hackenberg look draftable? Also did some decent things (coaching wise, not GM wise) with the Texans?

The Hackenberg thing didn't last of course because of Christian Hackenberg, but his one season with the guy was enough to get someone to buy in. Which in retrospect is absolutely amazing even if it was the Jets being suckers.

It does seem like a reset for a year or two in a place where he's probably not going to have too much trouble looking good and then he's back to the NFL in some fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean...the Raiders did not give up like the Eagles did and they were a goddamned playoff team. Well they didn't give up after McDaniels was gone, before that, well, yeah.

I'll credit them for that.

e: goddamn how toxic is Josh McDaniels? Just a thought that comes across my mind every time I think about him. How are you this bad at this? I wonder how bad meetings were to make everyone hate him so much.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2024