Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I actually think you can upgrade Stefanski to hot right off the bat.

Watson's ban at the start of last year bought them a bit of a free pass. By the time he suited up the Browns were in total whatever territory, and that continued when Watson as expected looked like total dump. It was just an eye roll of a situation. Week to week nobody gave a poo poo about what the Browns were doing.

I think it's different this year. I think there's some real "right, lets see why you did this to your franchise" pressure on Watson and anyone who had any voice at all in that contract, and I think people are absolutely primed and ready to burn them to the ground if Watson looks like anything less than elite right off the bat. I just think everything around the Browns could be set to escalate to a nuclear level implosion extremely quickly (which they loving deserve, fwiw) and I think that starts where it usually does - with the HC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Those were top three I could think of, I just said five because it’s a nice round number. But if I had to fill out the top five I’d probably put the Giants and Bears in there as well. I’m talking leaving their home market entirely, not just moving to the suburbs, which the Bears seem pretty intent on doing.

I'd include the Lions quite high up on this list. They're the 5th oldest franchise and have been in Detroit since 1934. Also, if they were going to move driven by "this team stinks" reasons then it sure as poo poo would have happened by now.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Simplex posted:

I feel like Eberflus should be upgraded to spicy hot, as Chicago is already in full meltdown mode 2 games in.

Eberflus’ chair has either already melted away and he is locked into a stationary, seated position through sheer radiation alone, or he’s the “This is fine” meme.

I can totally see a scenario where Eberflus survives the season based on the entire rest of the organisation being on fire around him.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Peyton isn’t on the hot seat but he deserves all the poo poo in the world for following up running his mouth about Hackett with.. this

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mcmagic posted:

Nothing he said about Hackett wasn't true.

Doesn’t matter. If you’re going to stand at a podium before a ball has been snapped and poo poo all over the previous coach, you probably don’t want to come out of the gate with a team that looks just as turgid at best and gets almost-historically blown out 3 games in.

Payton’s Bronco’s are a clown show and the absolute funniest outcome - however unlikely - is that the Bears beat them this week.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Man I had forgotten the Broncos had to give up a 1st and a 2nd to land Payton. Jesus. That makes any talk of firing him this year or even over the next few years even more improbable.

The status on Payton will remain the same all year. He's not going to get fired and he isn't a factor for the purpose of this thread, but that his team are total dog poo poo is extremely funny and he deserves to be dragged for it at every single opportunity to do so.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Gannon has outperformed expectations already. They’ve got to be one of the best looking 1 win teams ever. He’s back unless the directive from ownership was “go 0-17 for Caleb or else”. Dude is masterfully walking the line

I thought he was going to be an all time clown but hell they have better vibes than the Pats right now

They’ve got better vibes than some teams at 3-3 (hello, Raiders).

They really could be 3-3 themselves. I think they’re gonna bring Kyler back in and try and win some games (which might be a contradiction but whatever)

If you were doing a Power Rankings based on which teams just loving stink, I think the Cards would be safely mid table somewhere.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Everyone joking around for years about Jerry being the GM to take coaching matters into his own hands.

Here comes Mark Davis out of sheer necessity.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Patricia and Judge took a particularly scorched Earth approach to their HC gigs. Time might cover being bad at your job, but they both seemed like deeply unreasonable and unpleasant people on top of it. There’s got to be a longer than normal half life on the toxicity of that pair.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Todd Blowes

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

What’s the forfeit for O’Connell and Pierce if this finishes 0-0?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Letting the team that scored *checks notes* zero points on Sunday put 63 on you on a short week.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Headlines: after loss Staley believes he deserves to remain Chargers head coach

How does it keep up with the news like that..?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Rapsheet: Chargers fired by LA

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I dunno, looking at the full Steelers picture, we should probably be wondering how Tomlin has got this team to 7-7, as he approaches the prospect of his first losing season in 342 years.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Dec 17, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

This feels like a bad year to try and defend a HC based on not getting a tune out of a backup QB.

It’s inconsistent obviously but too many other guys have been “a thing” for stretches at a time this year. Some of them even for teams with winning records or are still in play-off contention.

The Jets offence has been an unfathomable disaster all season and they’ve got nothing out of the QB position all year.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

syzpid posted:

There are so many QB injuries this season and teams have still been able to fight and claw their way to some respectability. I watched the end of the Cards/Niners game yesterday and the Cards at least played like they cared.

Tyson Bagent, Tommy DeVito, Jake Browning, Joshua Dobbs, Aiden O'Connell..

Like nobody needs to pretend these are all great QB's who can produce consistent winning play, but they have all at least given their teams some juice, won some games or been "a thing" for a couple of weeks at various stages this year.

Joe Flacco is currently winning games. Gardner Minshew is currently winning games. Bailey Zappe has come in and won a game and at least looks more competitive for a NE team that's otherwise dead on its feet. Jacoby Brissett popped up yesterday and immediately scored a couple of TD's.

Feels like there's a bit of "boo hoo" energy around the Jets and losing Rodgers, and I just don't think there's much room for it in the full context of the 2023 season and how much this offense and lack of QB production still stinks the league out.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Diva Cupcake posted:

Yeah, Zach Wilson was pressured on 80% of his dropbacks yesterday. I don't think he had the opportunity to throw a pass from an actual pocket before he was concussed out of the game.

Do we think that Joe Flacco, who was repeatedly terrible as the Jets backup the past 2 years behind an equally bad OL, would be good now? No way.

I think the conversation is more in service of those who think Saleh is only a healthy Rodgers away from doing well and therefore keeping his job.

Obviously, glaring issues with other areas of the roster aren't exactly helping Saleh's case..

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The337th posted:

The other side of the argument seems to be that he's only a Joe Flacco away from deserving to keep his job

The real answer here is that there isn't an argument for him keeping his job.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

fartknocker posted:

They’ve had some Falconsings in there that resulted in some funny losses, I’m sure.

Todd Gurley’s accidental touchdown that ended up leaving the Lions over a minute left on the clock, which they used to match down the field and win the game.

EDIT: Holy poo poo I think this was before Smith? What even is time? Ah well. Still funny. Still extremely Falcons.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 20, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

“Some owners”

Love the idea that the price varies depending which clown show is asking.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Antonio Pierce has been carrying Dan Campbell-like “guy who just loving gets it” good vibes from the start, and it looks like he has some coaching chops to go with it.

At this point they should absolutely just roll with it.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Matt Patricia is a fat man.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Might have missed it - have we heard anything about what the Raiders are doing yet?

Antonio Pierce getting that Raiders HC job is probably the feel good storyline I'm most invested in, outside of where my Lions coordinators end up. The vibe fit there is off the scale. Do it, Davis.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Bears job should surely be this years premium opening. You've got a ton of cap space, a ton of draft capital that if anything you can probably add to, a bunch of options and a free run at what you do at QB. Also this is a 7 win team that isn't even in the same ballpark as the real tire fires of the league, talent wise.

You've got Harbaugh, Ben and Vrabel on this years circuit..

And you're running it back with Flus? Really?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think Pete’s early success helped reframe what a successful and healthy organization looks like.

Speaking as a Lions fan, I think this is a really underrated thing. There are some organisations that just carry an enviable level of competence, seemingly irrespective of what else is going on, and a lot of that comes from the HC. The Seahawks are one of them. There has to be some middle ground between "this is a really well coached and well run organisation" and "What?!? They didn't make the Championship game this year?!? Booooo!"

I had the same thought when people were talking about Tomlin's job earlier in the year. The guy who (still) hasn't coached a losing season in 427 years is in trouble? What?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mcmagic posted:

Based on a few meaningless games at the end of a bad season? You have no idea if Pierce is a good coach or not.

There are some teams who could probably benefit from just giving “good vibes” a go for a bit instead of whatever their interpretation of being a “good coach” looks like.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So in which quarter is Jerry strutting down to that sideline with a microphone like Vince McMahon?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I mean the chatter around Mike/Dallas is that he might be in trouble if they don’t make the conference championship.

This is now the third year in a row of not doing that and they’re taking an absolute shallacking to the 7th seed.

He is not surviving this coaching cycle with the names that are out there. He gone.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Seattle: homerbush.gif

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I think a key part of Dan Campbells quality as a coach is that folk are still questioning if he’s a good coach or not, after taking the Detroit Lions to their first division in 30 years, their first home play off win in 3,000 years, and now preparing for the divisional round, 3 years into his job.

I think he’s extremely happy to sit behind, maybe even lean into, all that Muscle Coach stuff while he just gets on with his job. I think it’s intentional and part of the answer.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Toaster Beef posted:

What's tough about sacking McCarthy is the regular-season performances are so drat good that it's a full year between crushing disappointments. So you get plenty of time to see objectively very good football and think "Ah I mean, this dude's got it together, surely getting bounced in the playoffs was a fluke." Then: whomp. It's like having a family reunion every five years to remind yourself why you only have a family reunion every five years.

There is a confidence, belief and pathological demand within that franchise that they should be winning. And without being crass about it, Jerry is running out of time to see it.

What does 12 regular season wins count for today? What does 12 regular season wins for 3 years straight count for today? Absolutely jack poo poo.

There are too many appealing HC candidates on this years cycle for Jerry to sit on his hands after another early play-off exit and an absolute shallacking of that scale last night.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Eagles might be able to turn it around pretty quick.

The Eagles roster composition and approach to player acquisition has had some "how do they keep getting away with this?!" energy for a while. Like, has anyone had issue or even questioned how Roseman is handling things in terms of putting a team together there? You look at things like Jalen Carter slipping to them in the draft and picking up guys like Swift for draft pocket change.. people were just shaking their head and saying "here we go" about that stuff at the time.

The vibes around that place have absolutely cratered in laughable fashion, and I'm sure there are individual positions that do need addressing, but you've got to assume that's the off season situation that's most easily, readily and quickly solved by cleaning house on coaching?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

ozymandius1024 posted:

What is the consensus best job available right now?

Genuinely it should be the Bears but.. lol

If you're Ben Johnson I think it's the Falcons. Go get Fields to pair up with Pitts, London and the Bijan/Allgeier RB tandem..

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Diva Cupcake posted:

You cannot conduct external interviews that satisfy the Rooney Rule until next week. Harbaugh will probably be the Chargers HC but it can’t happen until then.

Also:
https://twitter.com/josinaanderson/status/1747574587011780721?s=46

I don't make a habit of watching the Browns every week (because, ewww) but aren't running back and TE the strengths of their offense outside of Amari Cooper?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Black Lighter posted:

The Raiders are a team that's badly needed a culture shift for decades, and Pierce came in and shifted it almost overnight. There's no way in which he can be considered a bad hire.

It’s a Raiders appointment you can look at and hope it genuinely goes well for both him and them, rather than waiting to dunk on everyone involved when it inevitably goes tits up like the last few.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Unnamed One posted:

Aaron Glenn is still up for debate, but he moslty seems to be able to recognize and change when it's clear things aren't working (i.e. Ben Johnson over Anthony Lynn)

Glenn has been interviewing on the current HC cycle and has been working with a secondary that has no business making it to Championship Sunday. There were definitely weeks this year where Lions fans were grumpy about Glenn but he's a good dude that I think most fans are happy that it looks like he's staying.

There's no way to spin losing Ben Johnson as a positive and it's going to be a test, but Campbell has credit in the bank on his coaching hires. It sounds like the replacement will come from within again so maybe that magic strikes twice..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

mcmagic posted:

Didn't look like he was getting either job.

Other than Schefter’s tweet yesterday I thought the direction was that he was a lock for Washington?