Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd put Saleh in mild.

But I guess it depends on how you want to look at it. If Saleh and Belichick both go 8-9, Saleh is way more likely to be fired, but Saleh's team also appears to be way less likely to go 8-9 in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

a neat cape posted:

I mean that's only like 30 more wins

Sure but he's 71 and his current team is looking pretty mediocre.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Pegulas threatened to move to Austin of all places during stadium negotiations.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

I’ll stick with blood curse over his broken thumb causing his Achilles to explode.
https://twitter.com/albertbreer/status/1701617307775021442?s=46&t=DcBXErlGIUJUj8quAgYfkQ

Manning was 35 and Montana was 37. Rodgers is about to be 40 and was coming off of his worst season.

And nevermind what a weirdly curated list that is in the first place, heh.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I also think Saleh should get a pass and is possibly a good coach but we're all saying this immediately after he beat the division favorites on prime time with Zach Wilson. If the Jets go 6-10 the rest of the way, the sentiment will probably change.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

From a process standpoint, drafting Wilson at 2 was probably he most sane thing Douglas did at QB. He was a clean prospect.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Febreeze posted:

I don't remember him being a clean prospect, I remember him being considered a bust candidate thanks to him being a manziel style run around and ball type who beat up weak competition at BYU during the lean covid season. He was one of those guys nobody talked about until like the combine when all of a sudden he'd rocketed past several other prospects like Fields and Jones

Maybe "clean prospect" is overselling things a tad but he was the #2 QB on just about every draftnik's board. He certainly wasn't a divisive pick a la Allen, Lance, or Richardson.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Febreeze posted:

What if, and hear me out here, Brian Daboll discourse

We want him back.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

Everyone was pissed about the Golliday contract and Schoen signed Danny Dimes to an even worse one.

Meanwhile the NY Media: HES DOING THE BEST HE CANNNNN

Daniel Jones's supporting cast is really bad, and also Daniel Jones is really bad

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Incredible. How does this "person close to Mac" think this quote is going to play out for him?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

If Belichick retired after Brady left and Generic Old White GM/Coach X took over and had an identical performance as BB has, would they be getting fired midseason this year?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I think you can say Saleh and Douglas are 100% safe for the year now no matter what my personal opinion of them is.

The narrative about Saleh and Douglas's job security vacillates on a fortnight basis. If the Jets lost their next two, we'll be back to super hot seat for them.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hypothetically if your backup QB is getting starters reps and looks like the 25th-28th best QB in the league, that's somewhat acceptable? I'm sure Trevor Siemien isn't beating him out.

That's way overselling Wilson. He looks like probably the 45th-50th best QB in the league, which is still a massive leap for him.

Like you still take most backups over him, but at least you're taking him over most of the QB3's now.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Gotta think Sean leaving would probably be all she write for Russ.

I mean I guess he’ll bounce around for a while and probably end up on the panthers or browns or something but I don’t think we’re ever getting RWBS again

As a backup, if he's willing, maybe. I don't think anyone in the league believes he can be even a league average starter anymore.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

No Waller, either.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The GM, too, hours after the trade deadline.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Also, he didn't get an extension; they tore up his old deal and gave him a new one with more money, but it still ends after 2024 (like his previous contract did).

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Beane can stay.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey is fired in-season, or like even literally later today. If the Bills miss the postseason his goose is 100% cooked.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Man I just keep looking at the Bills GM. Yeah McDermott shouldn't notice a Buffalo winter.

What is Beane really bringing? Pass rush for what it is is old, still missing a WR2 for like 3ish years. Just doesn't feel like he's improved that roster since Diggs

I still think the talent is good and his drafting has been great. I would 100% want to keep Beane and just let him hire a new coach.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

McDermott ended the playoff drought so I feel like he almost certainly gets a mulligan, UNLESS the Bills win like two or fewer games the rest of the way. (Which might be kind of likely considering the rest of their schedule and who they've already lost to.)

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Benne posted:

It's generally a bad thing when you've been on the job for 7 years with multiple deep playoff runs and you're still talking about "culture." Something is rotten in that organization.

I do think it's telling that the Bengals, for example, have the same expectations and have struggled similarly but there's no obvious panic.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1728193867340484637?s=20
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1728204438945546715?s=20
https://twitter.com/ZackBlatt/status/1728199768265142742?s=20

So Robert Saleh…

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Wonder who that "some in the building" was!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Firing Belichick now serves to humiliate him, which is reason enough IMO.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

BlindSite posted:

Bill is for sure in a "mutual parting of the ways" situation.

I mean Robert kraft had a superbowl ring stolen and pretty much just went "oh no it was a present". There's no way he ends up with a scandal.

Going to say the geopolitical ramifications of feuding with Belichick are a bit lower stakes than they are against Vladimir Putin.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I'd take Belichick as a DC but that's it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Belichick will be 72 going into next season and his teams over the past couple of years have been coached like dogshit. Every single Patriots game there are dumbass procedural penalties or special teams gaffes and the announcers act incredulous and say "this doesn't look like a Bill Belichick coached team!"

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's what happens when you employ a bunch of unqualified goons and kids.

He needs to be in an organization with people in the FO who can question what he is doing. That's the problem in New England. Anyone who ever had any kind of clout is long gone.

Bill Belichick to the Panthers.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Tyler Dunne just wrote a Sean McDermott hit piece, so x-posting this from this from the AFC East thread…

quote:

At St. John Fisher College in Pittsford, N.Y., McDermott’s morning address began innocently enough. He told the entire team they needed to come together. But then, sources on-hand say, he used a strange model: the terrorists on Sept. 11, 2001. He cited the hijackers as a group of people who were all able to get on the same page to orchestrate attacks to perfection. One by one, McDermott started asking specific players in the room questions. “What tactics do you think they used to come together?” A young player tried to methodically answer. “What do you think their biggest obstacle was?” A veteran answered, “TSA,” which mercifully lightened the mood

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Re: Tepper, my guess is that he's rocked the apple cart so much about how things are supposed to be done that the league and/or other owners want him to settle down? It's not good for the league to have just one team ending up with the #1 pick every year and running a clown car operation where an established coach like Reich gets fired faster than Urban Meyer or Nathaniel Hackett did.

Just like a coordinated message that his meddling is so invasive and deleterious that it's actually crossed a line.

Febreeze posted:

I don't think any of the other owners or Roger care about Tepper being gone

But I could see Peter King going after him because King got snubbed or something by Tepper and he's being spiteful. Maybe Tepper blew him off and King was like "I'm the company man, you can't be rude to me"

Actually yeah, this seems like possibly the most sensible explanation.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

As a hypocrite that wants my team's head coach fired for not even actually technically missing the playoffs yet, I feel like you gotta give Tomlin one more chance with a real QB.

The FO held onto Ben for way too long and then whiffed on Pickett.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bellmaker posted:

Wait Staley hasn’t been canned yet???

It's still 6:48 on west coast time.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious example of the players giving up on a coach than last night's game.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

He did good work with Matt Cassel and Jimmy G, too.

I agree he sucks, though, heh.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Yeah if Herbie, Keenan and Mike Williams weren’t all dead that would have been a vintage Bills meltdown vs a team that just allowed 60 to the Raiders.

Okay but what if Staley was still coaching?

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Hats off to the Jets fan posters ITT and the AFC East thread that insisted all along that Saleh and Douglas were safe, even during the worst times. You know your team.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

fartknocker posted:

I think people have forgotten how much Brady complained if a defender so much as breathed on him. Mahomes complaints about the refs and stuff this season are nothing compared to that.

Also the Patriots cheated constantly and “Patriot way :patssay:” bullshit was more annoying than anything the Chiefs have done by a mile.

I like Taylor Swift and have no issues with seeing her on tv/during games :boom: :shrug:

Also, Boston sports fans.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Allen absolutely dives more than any football player I've ever seen. It's his passive QB power, like Mahomes's ability to conjure up ticky tack defensive holding calls or Brady's complete immunity to intentional grounding penalties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Rivera keeping his job.