Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

D-LINK posted:

I hate the Steelers offensive coordinator more than I hated Todd Haley. This mfer called another 4th and 1 pass, but this time his QB got hurt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJtPjkSTZyE

We might get another one of these possibly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Tricky Ed posted:

Patriots announce their new VP of player personnel:

That draft was a fever dream. I remember something weird happened with the Titans' webcam.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I forgot how weird it was. I wonder if it is streaming anywhere?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Mexican Radio posted:

so fortunate for pats fans that the best guy for the role is the son of the guy currently in the role, i mean what are the odds

Oh boy wait until I tell you about the assistant coaches and their relationship to the head coach.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

It would be really hilarious to me if they set it up so that Russ got paid that $10 million on July 1st.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Weird that there have been 2 HR related firings this year and both have been from the Bears. I feel like HR is almost never involved in getting a coach fired.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

You could argue that this at least has a silver lining. I mean yes ideally you do not do shitlord HR-actionable behavior in the first place. And it must have been real fuckin bad to ruffle feathers in an NFL workplace. But it almost always gets swept under the rug, unless it is forced out by literal congressional hearings like Snyder. Or these bombshells ESPN etc keep dropping about how awful it is to work for the Cardinals. At least someone in Chicago might give a poo poo about their people?

Not on the field, obviously. But in other regards!

At least the Bears seem to be attempting to handle it and get rid of problematic coaches. I wonder if there is any connection to the Chicago Blackhawks colossal mishandling of the Kyle Beach situation.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I am going to go to that game to personally kneecap the Pats best player... *checks notes*... uh...

Hunter Henry / Rhamondre Stevenson come on down!

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Urban kicked his own player.

Urban kicked his Kicker, which seems worse somehow.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

Football terminology can be really loving stupid. See also: nickel back (5th defensive back), dime back (6th defensive back, or the 2nd nickel back :rolleyes:), quarterback (signal caller on offense whaaaaat?!), halfback, fullback. I still rightly have no idea what the differences are between a running back/tailback/halfback/fullback despite having watched football for over two decades now, aside from the fact that fullbacks are typically much shorter at the end of their career than at the start.

Also sort of silly is the fact that the fullback lines up in front of the halfback. That seems reversed / counterintuitive. It comes from the single wing formation (quick writeup here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-wing_formation). It is closer in style to a rugby formation (as I understand it). The Tight End is on the line of scrimmage and ready to block. The Split End (precursor to the X receiver) is on the other side of the formation. The Wing Back was akin to an early slot receiver, but they had blocking duties as well like a fullback. The quarter back was another slot receiver / blocking from the backfield position. The full back was the secondary ball handler. The Tail Back was used as a primary ball handler. They ran the ball a lot out of this formation. This had some of the early options where either the full back or the tail back would keep the ball depending on the defensive look. Hope this helps some, please let me know if I missed anything.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Nov 14, 2023

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

Thank you. It's one of those things that I've always been mildly curious about, but never enough to really try and dive into it. They're all just variations of "guy you send out to run into brick walls for a few million a year" to me.

As I understand it, the theoretical value of a fullback is that they are traveling in the same direction and rough speed as the Running Back, this gives them some versatility to adjust for what blocks need to be made. Of course sometimes the defensive line wins, and then the fullback and the running back run into a brick wall.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Kalli posted:

He recognizes his gameplans aren't working and tries something new. Not his fault the league isn't ready for it.

Not to nit pick, but Buddy Ryan did it first.

https://coachgarner.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/polish-goal-line-defense-a-blast-from-the-past-2/

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

No decision on Belichick is expected today. He is safe for today.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Without looking it up, I'm going to guess the RB coach is the guy on the left and the Executive Director of Player Performance is on the right.

Anderson Koopa fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 17, 2024

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Benne posted:

Especially when everybody knows it's a sham interview

David Shaw has been out of coaching for over a year, why would he even agree to this charade

I wonder if they give you a nice meal and pay for airfare and a nice hotel? Little mini trip for you to get away and see a new city.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

RG3ESPN posted:

ALRIGHT real talk.. So BB goes to the Falcons. Sure..

Everyone says they just need aa QB...

So who is the loving QB the Falcons grab???

I'm sure Bailey Zappe or Mac Jones are available for trade.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Parallax posted:

there was some story about mayo carrying around a baseball bat so the patriots are already into that

Mayo knows he is coaching a Football team, right?

That is an unusually aggressive object to carry around.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Pontius Pilate posted:

Ya but he’s got the same last name as the qb—could this lead to confusion and friction within the building??

The Patriots at one point had Jack Jones, Jon Jones, Marcus Jones, and Mac Jones on the same roster. You might be on to something.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Who is Adam gase, for those of us who are new to following coaches

Also, who is going to coordinate the Patriot's offense next year?

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Dan Campbell is 6'5, 265 lbs—props to the Lions for hiring such a beast.

That got me wondering which coach would win an MMA style tournament (Basically if every team claimed, "My coach could beat your coach up"). I'm thinking something like out of NCAA basketball to help keep the number of matches manageable. I think Dan Campbell would be a strong candidate to win the whole tournament. I'm also bullish about Jerod Mayo's prospects. I think Mike McCarthy, Andy Reid, and Jim Harbaugh wouldn't make it very far.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Man imagine a pencilneck like Staley or KOC vs MCDC

Like they don’t even have WWE names, while Dan Campbell does. That’s how out of his league everyone is

I ranked / rated every coach in the league based on how tough I think they are.

S-Tier -Top notch, usually former players, absolute specimens
Antonio Pierce
Demeco Ryans
Jerod Mayo
Dan Campbell
Robert Saleh
Mike MacDonald

A-Tier - guys who look pretty tough but are just outside of greatness
Mike Tomlin
Todd Bowles
Kevin Stefanski
Raheem Morris

B-Tier - tough outs here
Dan Quinn
Matt Eberflus - played linebacker
Sean McDermott
Dan Quinn
Brian Callahan
Zac Taylor
Kevin O'Connell

C-Tier - guys who could be tough, but also could fold
Sean McVay
Jonathan Gannon
Matt Lafleur
Shane Steichen
John Harbaugh
Dennis Allen
Brian Daboll

D-Tier - Mostly the elderly here
Sean Payton
Andy Reid
Doug Pederson
Jim Harbaugh
Dave Canales
Mike McCarthy
Mike McDaniel
Nick Sirianni

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

I concede that I underrated the Harbaugh brothers.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Nervous posted:

I miss figuring out where to slot Pete in these lists :(

On the plus side Seahawks are now apparently S tier on the my coach can beat up your coach rankings.

I'd put Pete in the middle. Sure he's older, but he obviously takes very good care of himself.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Grittybeard posted:

Imagine being Jim Harbaugh's get back coach. Even if you can handle him you just have to be constantly vigilant.

But the get back guy's job isn't just the coach, players love to crowd the sideline too and go crazy when something big happens, and if you get in the ref's way on the sideline and bump him or trip him you just blew up a big play.

They're usually S&C coaches or QC coches during the week I believe.

Yeah one of them did (maybe it was SF when Harbaugh was there? Somewhere with a super aggressive coach) turned out to be a sex pest after getting a few nice articles written about what a pain his job was.

It was the LA Rams Get Back Coach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Rath

He was arrested for sexual assault, but he was ultimately acquitted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Wait the defense was “I was too drunk to have criminal intent” and it worked???

He claimed that a stroke plus the alcohol rendered him not in the right mind.