Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Booo, don't help boring rear end PSU.

Hopefully he's one and done, immediately getting a HC job.

As posted when I said this is both a great hire and an awful one, Penn State probably crushes all of his creativity and he winds up running the same boring rear end PSU offense as the last 10 OC's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

If they go with Fritz, wonder if Jeff Traylor is feeling OK with his decision to turn down Texas Tech and openly angle for the UT or A&M jobs. UTSA is willing to match what UH could pay and being limited to just the Texas schools, he might be there for a while.

He's also the reason why Joey got the job at Tech. As long as the wheels don't fall off for Joey at TTU, he could be there for a long, long time. Only UT and A&M are sure upgrades over Tech, and who knows if any of those programs look his way the next time they come open in 3 years for A&M and ?? for UT.

Eh, he gets to live in San Antonio. He's at a program that he's credited with building from the ground up (which isn't exactly true, but whatever). He's the highest-paid coach in the G5 and makes about 70% of what McGuire makes annually at Tech with greater job security. I don't think he's kicking himself too hard unless things at UTSA take a nosedive when Frank Harris finally moves on.

As far as Tech specifically, I suppose it's a marginally bigger brand than the other Texas Big 12 schools, but there's not much separating the four of them resource-wise.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 30, 2023

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

kayakyakr posted:

As posted when I said this is both a great hire and an awful one, Penn State probably crushes all of his creativity and he winds up running the same boring rear end PSU offense as the last 10 OC's

Yea that sounds about right. Just taking a beautiful creative mind and making him boring

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

As far as Tech specifically, I suppose it's a marginally bigger brand than the other Texas Big 12 schools, but there's not much separating the four of them resource-wise.

Tech was #3 in revenue in the current big XII* last year and will be top 3 in the new big XII.

Buy I think you're agreeing with me? That Joey's not going to find a bigger job than Tech outside of UT & A&M given his regional limitations? I guess he could make it work at OU or LSU, considering their Texas ties and TTU's history of recruiting Louisiana.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

I don't think you could make that case about Moorhead. Penn State had one of the most exciting offenses in college football for two years. The debate is whether this is a product of Moorhead's scheme or catching lightning in a bottle with NFL talent at RB, WR, and TE, and having a QB that could execute RPO nearly perfectly.

Franklin gives Manny Diaz carte blanche on defense. He needs to do the same on offense. Franklin knows this needs to work out.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Tech was #3 in revenue in the current big XII* last year and will be top 3 in the new big XII.

Buy I think you're agreeing with me? That Joey's not going to find a bigger job than Tech outside of UT & A&M given his regional limitations? I guess he could make it work at OU or LSU, considering their Texas ties and TTU's history of recruiting Louisiana.

Yeah I'd agree he's probably of limited value anywhere far outside of Texas, my only point is that if he wants to move on from UTSA he's not in a lesser place if he ends up at Houston, Baylor, or TCU. He hasn't really lost anything by waiting a few years to see if UT or A&M bite, because one of those jobs is going to be open every year or two.

Though if UTSA is still a contender in the AAC next year post-Harris, he seems like someone Arkansas might want to take a look at, if he's not too tarnished by association with with the Chad Morris era.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Nov 30, 2023

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Why? Will just get tainted by whatever the gently caress Franklin had been doing to make that side of the ball look like poo poo.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

He looks like he could be Matt Rhules fatter brother

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Komet posted:

The debate is whether this is a product of Moorhead's scheme or [b]catching lightning in a bottle with NFL talent at RB, WR, and TE, and having a QB that could execute RPO nearly perfectly.[/b[

I favor the latter, though his only other body of work is a season at Oregon in which he got throttled twice by Utah and slowed enough by a Lincoln Riley Sooner team, and as a piss poor HC.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Seems like a pretty drat good hire for Indiana.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Cool.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

General Dog posted:

Yeah I'd agree he's probably of limited value anywhere far outside of Texas, my only point is that if he wants to move on from UTSA he's not in a lesser place if he ends up at Houston, Baylor, or TCU. He hasn't really lost anything by waiting a few years to see if UT or A&M bite, because one of those jobs is going to be open every year or two.

Though if UTSA is still a contender in the AAC next year post-Harris, he seems like someone Arkansas might want to take a look at, if he's not too tarnished by association with with the Chad Morris era.

If Houston was going to hire Traylor, they already would have.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Yep, and that makes me think (hope) UH is going to wait for Tulanes run to end before getting him in.

Barry Odoms name is still being thrown around too. Getting to the MWC title game at UNLV is almost video game level achievement but he sure was mid at Mizzou.

Still feel icky.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Komet posted:

lol

Look, I don't know what the NIL and facilities situation is at Indiana, but they get every bit of TV money as every other school in the Big Ten. There's no reason Indiana should be stuck in the dumpster below NW, Purdue, or Illinois.

As of '22, their athletic spending was $30m under revenue.

It's clearly a long con for when players can be paid and they have the biggest war chest.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

kayakyakr posted:

If they go with Fritz, wonder if Jeff Traylor is feeling OK with his decision to turn down Texas Tech and openly angle for the UT or A&M jobs. UTSA is willing to match what UH could pay and being limited to just the Texas schools, he might be there for a while.

He's also the reason why Joey got the job at Tech. As long as the wheels don't fall off for Joey at TTU, he could be there for a long, long time. Only UT and A&M are sure upgrades over Tech, and who knows if any of those programs look his way the next time they come open in 3 years for A&M and ?? for UT.

it really cannot be overstated how much more lubbock sucks compared to san antonio. sticking with $2.8 mil/yr to live in an actual city, versus $3.3mil/yr to live in lubbock, doing a harder job with worse job security, seems entirely sensible to me

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

dirty shrimp money posted:

Yep, and that makes me think (hope) UH is going to wait for Tulanes run to end before getting him in.

Barry Odoms name is still being thrown around too. Getting to the MWC title game at UNLV is almost video game level achievement but he sure was mid at Mizzou.

Still feel icky.

Wes Fritz is following portal players on Twitter who have offers to Houston but not Tulane. poo poo, this is what he did last year when they were going to GA Tech.

Tulanes o line coach from last year is currently at Houston, wonder if he was told by Fritz to give out offers theyve made in the last 24 hours.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 1, 2023

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Ocho Cinco interested in coaching at UK?

https://twitter.com/ochocinco/status/1730610564726919529?t=XUkR1Eolr9sUdlNh02qJ4g&s=19

His daughter runs track there so not super far fetched. I'm all for it, even if it probably won't happen. There were rumblings of Ed Reed for the DB coach a few years ago, with Stoops having been Reed's position coach at Miami.

e:
https://twitter.com/GormleyPxP/status/1730653359315509259?t=UIID4D-qUIqDK9CBMpbUWg&s=19

TheAlmightyFrog fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 1, 2023

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

dirty shrimp money posted:

Still feel icky.

i don't know that odom is the guy to lead a p5 (p4?) team into relevancy; fritz and traylor (especially traylor) make more sense to me but as has been said, if UH wanted traylor they'd already have him

SundayMoney
Feb 21, 2006

The face of the new economy

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

Ocho Cinco interested in coaching at UK?

In the past he would do stuff like that any time someone would say hey Ocho team whatever could use you as WR coach. I'm not saying it is a possibility but would be extremely shocked just by his prior actions on twitter.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Hard to argue with Sam's logic

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Blotto_Otter posted:

live in an actual city

I'm not sure this matters to college football coaches, who would live in a diving bell at the bottom of the Arctic Ocean if it meant they could watch more film

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/michaelniziolek/status/1730744899169853723?t=yWh6WLUnb3lnqD_bbGnBjw&s=19

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/mzenitz/status/1730637789161546015

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

not too surprising

wonder if they try and poach brennan marion from unlv

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Penn St. is obviously a much better job than Kansas ever will be, but I wonder if this reveals that KU's talk about spending more money was PR hot air. If they lose Leipold, I'm not sure if they're meaningful spending more than they were for the past decade.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Did I just see that USC hired UCLAs DC to replace Grinch? drat what a kick in the teeth for the Bruins.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

LeeMajors posted:

Did I just see that USC hired UCLAs DC to replace Grinch? drat what a kick in the teeth for the Bruins.

Good call though, they wont have to face Cal going forwards

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ming the Merciless should make a drat fine HC

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Sounds like Chris Rumph is being brought back to be Clemson's DE coach is a done deal.

Also lots of buzz about bringing Matt Luke to be the OL coach.

Both great hires but we still hope we make a move at WR coach.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

LeeMajors posted:

Did I just see that USC hired UCLA’s DC to replace Grinch? drat what a kick in the teeth for the Bruins.

I have no clue how good he is, but that seems like a great way to poach as many UCLA defensive commits as possible

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/1731345446457557393

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Man he is looking a little old. How long is he gonna continue coaching?

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

He's 63 so hopefully long enough to build UH like he's done everywhere else, and then turn it over

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1731448073144959396?s=46

Posture Pal
Nov 22, 2007

No surprise, a lot of the players were publicly lobbying for Danielson to get the job. Did a good job as the interim, interesting to see if it works out.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Mizzou DC Blake Baker is in the mix for the Tulane job. It'd be nice to keep him but Drinkwitz has seemed to do a good job with his coordinator hires lately so maybe he can replace him with another up-and-comer if Baker is hried

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Roasted Donut posted:

Spencer was great at PSU, shame it didn't work out there.

Just to follow up on this, Spencer was hired at TAMU already and we still have an opening.

If Napier doesnt hire well, itll be just another misfire to throw on the pile.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What happened to Spencer at Florida? Was he just sacrificed in order to make a clean break with a new defensive staff?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Komet posted:

What happened to Spencer at Florida? Was he just sacrificed in order to make a clean break with a new defensive staff?

I honestly do not know. Our DL and DB units underperformed but had dudes in theory. LB unit was poo poo but was very very thinso they didnt toss out LB coaching.

I was going to list out why all this is concerning but I just kept adding bullet points so lets just say Im concerned.

Either way, if we see DL at TAMU get real mean really fast, UF would be the underperforming outlier here.

Nothing really seems to work in Gainesville anymore haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Tulane offered Fritz 5.5 mil yearly. He took 4.5 from Houston. Sucks that even offering more money didnt work.