Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Pixel Warriors represent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
so was there no September pixel update?!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mental Hospitality posted:

Got the September patch today.

Sweet me too now!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
https://twitter.com/thisistechtoday/status/1708928673993158811

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

smoobles posted:

-Live translation = did someone say euro vacation?

lol this is a bad take

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
gently caress I want the 8 Pro, what is wrong with me other than everything

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Incessant Excess posted:

Update check just found the OTA for Android 14 on my international Pixel 7 Pro.

Yup, mine is downloading/installing right now. Rogers in Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

this is pretty cool

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
gently caress i need an 8 pro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BS8x2TicxQ8

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
happy Pixel 8 Pro day to me, Pixel Warriors Forever :911:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I got mine today too (had to have it held at a FedEx location because I was away for work for the week). Setting it up now, love the flat screen so far.

The flat screen is incredible. I didn't know what I was missing :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Linus is an idiot though

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
i measured my coffee temperature this morning with my pixel 8 pro. why? what's the point? gently caress you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well I guess it's just p8p not p8

Only the 8 Pro has the thermometer

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FistEnergy posted:

good news, everyone! The Pixel 8 finally got a good review out of Ron Amedeo:

https://arstechnica.com/google/2023/10/pixel-8-pro-review-the-best-android-phone/

the only major complaint was the chip performance, which is definitely a big step behind Apple and Qualcomm. I doubt it has a significant impact on day-to-day usability though.

Wow. Didn't expect that from him. And yeah he's a benchmark nerd so I don't think the chip performance is an issue for normies.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
the 8 Pro screen is so good. i'm so glad it lost the curved edges.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

XIII posted:

I must be crazy because I actually really like the curved screen on my P7P. Makes using gestures a lot nicer with a case on.

as a pixel warrior i cannot deny your pleasure but the flat screen is so so much better

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
nothing yet on my Canadian 8 Pro :(

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Any stability problems on yours dude? I've never had a phone crash daily like this. If the update doesn't resolve it, I'll factory reset and if it's continuous I'll have to return it.

Oh yes, had a number of crashes/freezing :( This update looks to address a lot of things? It's hit my phone now and is installing right now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Huh, my 8 Pro hasn't hitched at all. Only reason why I rebooted it once after I got it about 12 days ago is I shut it down to prevent it from connecting to Android Auto Wireless while I was troubleshooting something.

Well, I've had a lot of issues! It's very annoying.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

FunOne posted:

Can you be more specific? My wife's pro8 has had weird ongoing issues with killing the running process. It'd basically drop back to the lock screen over and over, but it only did it intermittently. And it never killed background processes.

I only found one example of the behavior on Reddit and the suggestions were update and factory reset. I asked here and didn't get anything either.

We've done the force reset, but she says it is still misbehaving but less. Same since applying the Nov update.

Now it's at ubreakiffix to see if they see it, else it's a warranty replacement. Best we can figure it might be something in the digitizer since it seems tied to swipe and continuous touch input. But that's a best guess. Blue pro 8 256 if anyone cares.

One example, was I went down my elevator to go outside the other day, opened my phone, checked a text, tried to hit the sleep button, nothing happened, tapped around the screen, nothing happened, totally frozen, 30 seconds later it goes black and reboots

Another time in the last 2 weeks, I was opening a car share app that we use here called Evo to reserve a car nearby, screen/taps stopped responding, I could sleep the phone but not wake it again, AOD stuck on, I had to hold the power button for....like 30 seconds? whatever it is, to cause it to hard reboot.

I'll see if this update fixes it! It's installed now and is about to reboot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Ragaduffin posted:

Just want to complain about wifi speed on 8pro, no change with latest update. Might need complain to Google. I'm getting a couple mb down on wifi, when 6pro got, oh, let's say 300mb easy. Deco mesh network. It seems like if I disconnect and reconnect it will improve for a very short time (1 minute max) but then back to being garbage, videos buffering, etc.

Really frustrating, I'm lucky enough to get 1gig fiber but phone is not taking advantage of it

I definitely don't have that problem on my 8 Pro, before or after the update. Roughly 200mbps down/up.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

butt dickus posted:

this is going to be an unpopular opinion but i miss the curved edges. i'm getting lots of accidental touches on the corners of my 8pro that i didn't get on the 7pro

what's it like being wrong as hell

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Who the hell is doing actual work conversations over text messages? That's a SecOPS nightmare.

lol don't be naive, TONS of people do this

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

Put the wrong thing in a message and that's a huge liability issue for me and the company.

this does not even occur to a huge number of people, you are in the minority, friend!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I've never had a google pay transaction fail, wtf

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Pvt. Parts posted:

Just turn your adblockers off or get YouTube premium. I don't understand how 5-10 seconds of ads is such an impossible price to pay for all the amazing, often "grassroots" content on YouTube. Expecting all of that for $0 is just pure entitlement to me.

And in general across the web, it's not the 00's anymore, ads are much more well behaved now in general. The sites with the truly cancerous ads are the sites you don't want to visit anyway. Try going a week without an adblocker, it will be fine, I promise.

shut up

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
That 9to5google article and comments say adblocks will still be a thing and there is also a mv3 ublock origin being developed.....

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Oh if it's just Chrome then that's fine, I use Firefox.

This is for Chrome...

CLAM DOWN posted:

That 9to5google article and comments say adblocks will still be a thing and there is also a mv3 ublock origin being developed.....

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
did any of you Honourable Pixel Warriors get the pixel tablet? it's on sale for black friday and it's tempting

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Okay tyvm all, it's $150 off here so probably going to grab it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

ShoogaSlim posted:

not convinced face unlock for google pay is an improvement. seems like i can open my wallet app and it won't prompt me for any biometrics at all. then when i try to pay, it fails and asks to authenticae. ok so i hold it up to my face (even tho it only shows a thumbprint icon) and that "satisfies" the requirement, but still forces me to tap "confirm" anyway, so i might as well have just used my thumbprint in the first place and not bothered with face verification.

so it goes from:

- open wallet app, prompt for thumbprint, press and confirm, tap register

to

- open wallet app, no prompt, tap register, fail and ask for thumbprint, press thumprint, tap again

alternatively: tap register (without opening wallet app first), fail and ask for thumbprint, etc etc

it was much smoother on the 7. idk why it's not auto prompting for a biometric if it doesn't detect that authentication has been established. just results in extra bs steps

you have weird issues I've never had. Google Wallet has never asked me to authenticate with biometrics or anything when paying, even when it fails.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
do not get the dbrand ghost

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Branch Nvidian posted:

"Google says bumpy Pixel 8 screens are nothing to worry about." - Ars Technica

lol, lmao even. Glad it's nothing to worry about, such as components pushing into the OLED panel.

i scoured every millimetre of my pixel 8 pro screen and there are no bumps, i am happy to report

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

isndl posted:

The Google Assistant At-A-Glance widget on my home screen has crashed and now it's a giant pink box telling me to use ADB to pull the log. How do I restart this thing without rebooting my entire phone?

I was having a weird crash with that exact widget tonight. Reboot fixed it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

BabyFur Denny posted:

I can no longer copy text from websites on chrome in android?
When selecting text, instead of showing the usual copy/select all box, it just opens a search bar for the selected text on the bottom of the screen. Wtf is this?

I'm copying text from websites on Chrome in Android right now so I have no idea what you're doing

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

bull3964 posted:

There apparently has been a pretty significant jump in GPU performance for the 8/8 Pro with the December update as the Mali drivers were updated to be recent versions instead of ones from August of 2022 when the GPU in the newest Pixels didn't even exist yet

ugh

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Mental Hospitality posted:

If you have Google Play Gold, Platinum or Diamond reward perks there's a 40% discount on the Pixel 8's and Pixel tablet running until the end of the month. I have platinum rewards so I may jump on that 8 Pro if I can do a trade in as well.

Edit: play store link

https://playpoints.withgoogle.com/gstorediscount2023/

gd it

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
just got it on my 8 Pro in Canada too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
The popout ring thing will prevent wireless charging due to size/distance from the charger more than the presence of metal. They're just too big.