Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

FreudianSlippers posted:

My wife and I once rode some sort of tram from central Edinburgh to some suburb and back just because we wanted to try it out.

As far I know neither of us are autistic we just like public transport and it's fun to try out new things.

It’s weird that no one blinks twice if you take your bike/motorcycle/car out for a drive for fun, but if you ride a train it’s considered neurodivergent. It’s the same thing, only you can spend even more time looking at passing scenery because you’re not steering!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

If you read the story, multiple family members did! Other people noticed, too. She ran into her (light haired) brother while with a PBS executive, and the PBS exec later contacted her brother to ask if they were full blood siblings.

And then her lawyers sent a threatening note to her brother about it, so the family decided not to make any noise about it so she wouldn't sue them.

And back in the 1960s her uncle wrote a letter trying to set the record straight that was published in a local paper, but never got picked up or noticed as she became more popular nationally.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/mokZmhN.mp4

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Air Skwirl posted:

Investing in NFTs is so loving dumb I don't feel that bad about them losing money on that, but there should be a reasonable expectation that you can go to a concert and not get blinded

I would guess that the organizers would absolutely be liable for damages to anyone who got burned by the lights, the problem is that you have to extract it from them and that is a difficult and expensive process on its own.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

That is Ocean Ramsey, a marine conservationist whose entire thing is posting videos of her in close proximity to sharks, so faking it would be a weird choice. It's not what it seems in that she was aware of the shark and preparing to jump in anyway, but is backing off because the shark was overly excited by her movements.

Here's an interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlzLB1XnfeY

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

We had a tortoise for almost 30 years, he smelled fine. I think only certain kinds pee aggressively, he never peed when we picked him up. We eventually arranged to have him released in a sanctuary. He was a leopard tortoise.

My grand mother bought a parrot (African grey) when she was in her 50s, it lived with her until she died in her 90s and my uncle inherited it for another 10 years or so.

He would call out for her sometimes and I often wondered if he was sad she wasn’t around, or just trying prompts for food.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I just assumed the drunk guy kept slamming shots of salt until he had downed enough to cause serious damage.

Hihohe posted:

I know i did
for thanksgivng my Family had 2 roast chickens stuffed with spicy Boudin and i never wanna go back to dry as hell Turkey

I love turkey, but the idea that you should cook a full 0lbs of bird once a year is terrible. It's way too much for a regular gathering to eat, and no one gets enough practice to make it come out well (or at all, see all the failures here).

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

You can give him the benefit of the doubt and still take away his tribute NPC because you have determined not to honor people who are too incompetent to transfer money in a timely way.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The General posted:

Ehh, I'm not sure giving teenagers a free pass to rip people off is a good idea.
While that particular teenager was/is a fine aspiring conman, this is objectively a better outcome than deciding that minors - who are legally restricted in any number of other ways - are still somehow competent to make contracts for thousands of dollars. That would definitely end up worse for a bunch of kids getting conned.

Takes No Damage posted:

Isn't part of the reason they do that because they're never worn, and if they were and the rubber/plastic was flexed around a little they would actually last longer?
Wearing them helps, but the reality is that sneakers are just not made with materials that anticipated an unlimited lifespan. Sneakers are cheap shoes that wear out and get thrown away in a few years, there was never any reason for their materials to last decades. If you opt to wear them you can extend the life, but it doesn't fix the problem. This is actually an overall issue with plastics in general, because the decay is often due to an internal mechanism - it is turning out to be an issue with things like art, which will decay all on their own even under normally pristine museum conditions.

Lots of these materials are basically new so we just didn't understand how they would age until it started to happen.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

freeedr posted:

That’s quite a lot of lawyer salary

e: but gently caress that stupid rear end in a top hat and I hope she stays under this debt and keeps feeling its pressure until she dies angry in her hovel
I guess eight years of legal fees really add up, it's kind of crazy that it took this long to get to a judgement. Now they just have to try and squeeze that out of her.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

I used to take a hard line about not pirating stuff. Folks make a living off it, right?

But yeah, with the way studios behave these days it's not even piracy, it's privateering.

One of the things that really came to light with the strikes last year was how little the people who actually make stuff get paid for it on residuals over time. Like it's one thing to pirate an indie video game or something where most of the money is going directly to the studio and it's workers (minus the cut from steam or whatever), it's another if you're talking about trying to watch episodes of Deep Space 9 or some other old show - none of the people that actually did the labor to make that are getting paid, it's all going to the studio as gravy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

People deny ASMR is a sex thing too vehemently for it not to be at least a little bit a sex thing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

pixaal posted:

Someone is filming, he's doing this intentionally possibly making fun of someone they recently arrested who tried to escape from them or did so using the slide.

I have no idea if he went down the slide to make fun of someone (I've never heard that suggested before) but I don't think he intended to get a head injury. So even if he did it to mock someone, getting wrecked and having to get the EMTs to treat your concussion (and then being mercilessly mocked for it by everyone) is its own kind of schadenfreude.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The Killer Dynamo posted:

I do this! I love horror aesthetic and find the stories intriguing and interesting, but am both a huge weenie and I can't stomach gore. Reading a clinical, matter-of-fact description of the plot of Midsommar lets me enjoy it without The Ick.

It is, I can admit, a deeply weird habit.

Often I see a preview for a movie that looks somewhat interesting but I 100% know that I am never going to make the effort to see, so I just look it up and read a synopsis so my brain can file away 'that's what the monster/murderer is'. I also don't particularly like gore or jump-scare stuff so I'm even less motivated to see those films, but get vaguely curious about them.

My mom reads the last few pages of a book before starting it so she can confirm that it's not going to end in a way she doesn't like before she gets invested, so clearly I come from a cursed bloodline.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

I thought snow was soft (never seen it in my life)

As someone who didn't see snow until their 20s, it comes in a surprising variety. It can behave very differently depending on how clumpy or wet it is. The ideal skiing snow is powdery, which means that it is fresh fallen and cold enough that it isn't sticking together wetly. It's fine to fall in, and if it's deep you can basically vanish into a big puff of it and come out fine. But, as snow sits it will settle and compact, and even if it stays cold it will melt in sunlight and then refreeze. If there is any warmth or rain this accelerates, and you can end up with very heavy slushy snow that is a lot less fun. You can also get areas that have melted a little and then frozen into patches or even a sheet of ice, which is very hard and unwelcoming. Most skiing locations will try to 'groom' the slopes, in that clip you can see the lines of the slope where they've basically done some landscaping to improve it. But on big mountains they might not have done this everywhere, and the edges of the run don't get the same treatment, so if you are a bad skier you can barrel off the side of the groomed area and fall into ice.

In addition, even if the snow is ok you can injure yourself by running into trees, rocks hidden in the snow, and other people. You can also just hurt yourself by pulling something as you fall, especially between the poles and skis. When I was first skiing I didn't understand how to stop properly and ended up wrenching my knee because I jammed my ski the wrong way at speed.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

haveblue posted:

Not great, but also not at the end of 36 hours of continuous serving

I don't think that's how that works, you switch off serves at odd games so after she flattens you in the 1st game, you get to serve. Which will be worse, because I'm going to assume the average goon is going to fault and let a bunch while she rests and then barely taps it back. I'm sure eventually she would make a mistake, so you could still succeed as long as it's not limited to a real match format.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

My Grandmother is still alive (she is 95) and not only has she never used a computer or the internet, she doesn’t have a mobile phone. I have to call her landline and hope she has her hearing aid on to pick it up.

Fortunately she has family that check on her and very attentive neighbors.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Look, it sounded better without you pointing out the major flaw.

Supposedly we also share something like 50% of our DNA with every single multi-cellular eukaryote in the animalia kingdom.
A mycologist friend of mine also told me that apparently mushrooms share more DNA with us than they do with plants.

A huge chunk of DNA is just basic stuff that almost all life uses in common like cell processes and replication. DNA is also sort of accretion over time, so a species will still carry some from its ancestors even if it’s not used or expressed anymore. So the percentage isn’t very intuitive!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

derp posted:

rent is bullshit not because its too drat high (it is) but because it keeps going up. bro my pay doesnt go up 10% per year wtf am i supposed to do here, just move to progressively lovely places every few years?

Unless you work in an industry where you can regularly switch jobs for a raise, yes. Renting is just moving to a different shittier housing every 1-2 years unless you get lucky and find a landlord that doesn’t raise rent methodically

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah it was being cautious. I'm guessing that tourists had been offering food and it thought she was doing the same, it tried to grab the food and whoops all fingers

I bet it was this, the fact that it approached and the way the nip was so gentle. Tourists here have made a habit of feeding squirrels and if you chill in the common they’ll sidle up and try their luck. If you hold out your hand without food you might get nipped as they check you aren’t pizza.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I’m pretty sure that guy has made about six other very dumb axes and somehow hasn’t Tin-Manned himself, very disappointing.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

There’s optimism, and then there is whatever this is

https://i.imgur.com/3PYpdfw.mp4

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Hey, McFly! Hoverboards don’t work on water!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

wash bucket posted:

Sounds like a solid strategy. What changed?

Elon took an intense personal interest in the design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Look up some handwritten examples, it’s truly impenetrable.