Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which character do you most want to play as?
Mario
Luigi
Peach
Daisy
A Toad
Toadette
A Yoshi
Nabbit
Bowsette
View Results

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
Game cleared and 100%'d because I have no life. Articulating my thoughts here, using spoilers where necessary:

Basic stuff:
  • Course design is quite solid. Badges provide new and interesting platforming puzzles, and Wonder Flowers completely upending the established norms is a welcome diversion.
  • Course length feels a touch short? Think of it like SMB3 course length -- varied and exciting, but not as lengthy as you might remember from your childhood. If you come into this game expecting Donkey Kong-sized levels, you will not be impressed.
  • Worlds, on the other hand, are packed with Courses to offset the length issue. (Usually. A couple of Worlds are actually rather short, so the Course length is felt more keenly in them.)
  • Everything required for completion is neatly tracked by the game for you. That would be: Wonder Seeds, capped Flagpoles yes, you need to grab them from the top for every Course (but only need to do it once per Course, secret exits don't matter), Big Flower Coins, Badges, and Standees. Courses you've done everything in will have a green check mark (✓) lit up behind the item checklist for that stage. When everything in a whole World is completed, a check mark will be displayed beside the World's name on the map screen.
  • Beware that some Courses have secret exits (denoted by the flagpole being red), and to keep them secret they will not initially have their accompanying Wonder Seed on the Course checklist. If a Course has its whole checklist filled out but doesn't have the check mark, that is your hint to give it another look.
  • Online multiplayer is surprisingly unobtrusive-yet-fun. Other players cannot steal your power-ups or destroy your blocks; their only interactions are to revive players (with Standees if they don't want to sit around waiting) or hand off their boxed Item. Unless you're going for some kind of challenge run, there's no reason not to have Online mode on.
  • I have no strong opinions on local multiplayer as I've no one to try it with, but I will say that player collision is in play here unlike in Online, and you all share the same life count. Take from that what you will.
  • Flower Coins cap at 999, and any acquired past that point evaporate into the ether. Know how Prince Florian keeps nagging you about spending your Flower Coins when you get past 700? That's why.

Spoiler stuff:
  • Was not impressed with the boss design. The main baddie lineup is Bowser Jr., Bowser Jr., Bowser Jr., and Bowser Jr.; he's the Boom-Boom analogue this time, and Boom-Boom is not main boss material. The only really unique fight in the game is the final one with Bowser. Kamek is basically a non-presence.
  • Getting all of the Standees requires some Flower Coin grinding unless you get seriously lucky with the gacha Standee. (Gacha costs 10, guaranteed new bought from the Special World shop costs 30.) Best spot I've seen for farming is "Expert Badge Challenge: Jet Run I" in W1.
  • I did not know about the "Bonus: Coins Galore!" Courses until I was literally typing this post.
  • I really feel like the last zone of the game should've been its own World and not just another section of Petal Isles. If there were just a handful more courses...
  • The final reward for clearing All Of The Things was a badge that replaces all the character sound effects with onomatopoeia by the devs. It did make me grin a little.

Final verdict:
It was awfully short for my tastes, and you can tell that Nintendo needs to get into the groove again after coasting on Super Mario Maker 2 for so long, but all-in-all I enjoyed Wonder. More stuff like this would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Larryb posted:

So how many seeds did you need to unlock the final boss?

Only as many as you need to unlock/reach the Royal Seeds in each World. Bowser has no other access restrictions.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

Oh man, if you hate them now, they reappear again in the true final level while you're invisible. (Though they're still not as bad as the obstacle that immediately follows them.)

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

My favorite was the crouch jump badge. Partly because I'm a sucker for SMB2, but mostly because having a superjump with no asterisks on it was a good countermeasure to my habit of murdering all of the things that I needed to bounce off of for secrets.