Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

This is the second incarnation of the Quick Audio Questions thread.

Got a question about audio? Post it here!

The goal of this thread is to help you find your answers. If you have a question about product recommendations or a specific piece of equipment, you might have better luck in the following dedicated threads:
Headphones
Home audio
Equipment setup sharing
Turntables and vinyl
PC speakers

How to ask a quick question:
You could try shooting from the hip and trying your luck, but a concise post with specifics will help others greatly. Please take a moment to condense your question into something that is easily understood, and can be answered with specifics.

1) What is your exact problem?
2) What specific information can you provide about the problem?
3) What is your desired result? This one may not always apply, so don't worry if you can't answer this one.

If you're looking for a product to buy:
1) Define parameters like budget, form factor, absolutely necessary features (if applicable), and how/where you're gonna use this thing.
2) If you're looking for speakers, posters may ask you about the room they're going in. This might include things like how big it is, does it have carpet, etc. Be prepared to answer follow-up questions.

Examples of questions that work well:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm running a projector for a movie night at my son's school. In order to interface with the PA system, I need to pipe audio from the projector in the middle of the room to the mixer that is about 60-75' away.

Can I safely use a super long 1/8" stereo extension cable for this run? Or will it sound terrible after so many feet?

Lamquin posted:

Quick question regarding the quality of different audio streaming formats!

I'm a huge fan of online radio to discover new music, and have found a few different formats. For example, the site https://www.di.fm gives me a choice between the following:

256k MP3
128k AAC-Plus
128k WMV

My brain assumes that Bigger=Better, but I couldn't exactly tell a difference. Is any of these formats the "best", or are they all equal?

MikeJF posted:

Hey, if this is the right thread, are there any nice cheap little dongles like the Chromecast Audio but with the Spotify Connect protocol in it on account of the Chromecast Audio in Spotify sucking arse and breaking all the time?

Thread frustrations:
1) Many people ask "which soundbar should I get?" The answer is probably "none," as outlined by KillHour in the previous thread. Expect that question to go over like a loud fart.

Caveat: it's possible, however unlikely, that soundbars in the future fix their design shortcomings. Should that be the case, any mod with buttons should feel OK to replace this part of the OP unilaterally without asking me to reflect this.

2) Sometimes you won't get what you explicitly asked for, or you're told that you have to do something else that isn't what you imagined. It's possible that you didn't lay out important parameters to your question, or that it was misread— but it's more likely that what you're asking simply isn't in the cards. In any case, assume that the people attempting to help you didn't try to frustrate you, and extend them the same grace that you would want someone to extend to you if your roles were reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU