Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
just moved here last month and it rules. also i hope fox news keeps running Death Spiral BLACK CRIME segments about SF because drat rent is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Maximo Roboto posted:

Silicon Valley, specifically San Jose, has way more people than SF yet feel even less like a city
yeah i drove down there once to pick up a desk and rofl it's just a suburb. why would you deal with San Jose rent just to live in an american suburb?

biceps crimes posted:

wokely shidding out my butt hole in front of the McDonald’s on Haight and Stanyan
i got really excited for a second because 1) i love big macs and 2) that's my neighborhood. then I remembered that is a whole foods and you are making a cruel joke :mad:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Weed Wolf posted:

central market (and hell, HEB) beats out gus' any day. Texas Supremacy
i had to turn the heater on the morning of July 4th. I think the high this summer was 83? Maybe? gently caress Texas Forever.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i say swears online posted:

the pacific ocean can suck my loving dick. it's unnatural to make things cold like that

texas isn't bad if you keep your ac at a crisp, cool 79
nah 60F is very natural. 113F is not. texas is awful. the weather is dogshit. mediterranean climate rules. i should never be 113F outside in a city where people live.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

mediterranean? brother you're oceanic until a few miles inland. people shouldn't have to dress in layers to walk a hundred yards
nobody in texas has ever walked a hundred yards

Ardennes posted:

I would say San Francisco for all the bluster just really didn't change that much tbh. It just got more expensive for the same experience. If anything a lot of the town just feels lost in time and a lot of seems like it was 20-30 years.
it is so funny to watch any movie from the 60-70s and see how basically nothing has changed. the rich boomers really succeeded in freezing property developer in time (while they still pay their 1980-level property taxes)

TenementFunster has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Sep 27, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardennes posted:

More or less, sometimes it isn't a bad thing in the same most of the ethnic enclaves are still there and also haven't change that much either. It is a bit of an oddity because people are paying 4k a month to live in a growingly quiet town that looks like it is still 1979.
a reasonable premium to not have to live in Dallas/Houston/Austin

honestly, denver is almost as expensive as SF, with a lot less to offer. our old place was a 775ish sqft studio and i just found out rent is going up (again) to $1740 in november. we’re paying 10% more per square foot in SF. there just aren’t enough people who have that kind of money and want to live in denver. we couldn’t even find a sublet at the current price. i’m praying for a reckoning.

it was $1100 a month in 2014 so lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i think things are kinda collapsing in austin?
couldn’t happen to a nicer place. i was there last in late 2021 and it was even cornier than when i saw it in 2009 before tech bullshit really hit it

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardennes posted:

I don't see rent going down in SF, at the end of the day there is no where to build and people will want to live there
my neighbor said our place was renting for $750 a month more pre-covid so laffo.

but yeah i was here for like a weekend and realized at once why the boomers love this place. every city in the nation needs to enact this anti-chain restaurant ordinance

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

biceps crimes posted:

wtf. thought you were doing a bit but i went and looked and they tore it down
i thought YOU were doing a bit

Maximo Roboto posted:

Boise became a big destination during the pandemic, but more for families
and insane racists

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fortaleza posted:

The Inner Sunset is ftw
can confirm :cool:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ardennes posted:

If your in SF, you probably should just chill around the Presidio around Sunset.
actually, the Presidio around Richmond

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Aglet56 posted:

to be clear, the whole foods didn't replace the mcdonalds. the mcdonalds was across the street
yeah it's an active construction sight as of last update (10 minutes ago when I picked up my gf from school)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
like i give a poo poo about what GIRLS learn in school. nice try!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Poppers posted:

I gently caress children lol!!! Just a funny way of rolling with the punches I just thought of :)
sorry but the truth sounds gauche :shobon:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fermun posted:

i've lived in san francisco for >9 years. moved here from denver
have you been back since? it is wildly different downtown

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Diane Feinstein dead. San Francisco ftw
https://x.com/AnarchyApe/status/1707815917411860884?s=20

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

fermun posted:

nope, but i've heard from the few people i still keep in contact with about how different it is
it is hard to overstate the number of totally new neighborhoods that just sprug up from abandoned warehouses, rail yards, and surface-level parking lots since basically the second you left weed legalized

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Kyro posted:

nah thanks, that takes to much time and malarkey. Anarcho-frontierism is much more fun :clint:
i want to be an astronaut

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

i think he goes to a semi-legal grow, extra acreage not listed in the official books

there's definitely a glut. in texas prices are down like 75% in the last decade
all those bozos really thought they’d be able to charge $60 for an eight or whatever until the end of time. it’s bulk agriculture!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

titty_baby_ posted:

I can get gram carts for $20. I can get 8ths of flower for like $10. Even the shittiest 8ths are still 24%+ thc.
uh, PM me

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

titty_baby_ posted:

No. Just visit California. Or any state where its been legalized long enough to have a huge glut of weed.collapse the market
i just moved to SF and i got you mixed up with the zoomer vape delivery guy guy :mad:

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It still cracks me up when I see places adversities $1 gram prerolls - I know it’s the poo poo left over after everything else but it’s still just
it is hilarious how high a regular person can get on dollar of weed. these dorks put themselves out of business by being too good at their jobs.

it’s like if one shot was 1000 proof

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Milo and POTUS posted:

Shake now has got to be insanely potent compared to the garbage we used to smoke
the weed is too strong now! i am literally a one-hitter quitter and proud. i grew what I thought was some pretty nice weed back in 2010-ish, but when I rant out of that in 2018, i started buying commercial flower and goddamn. shrooms are fun for a concert tho.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

titty_baby_ posted:

Saw this too and was like "oh thats nice" until I got to her career
universal reaction. i wonder how many times she decided to tell the reporter the name of the AI company to maximize the chances it would appear in the article but not too many where she sounded desperate and obvious

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
CS started attracting gunner shitheads who would have just gotten finance degrees prior to 2009 instead of just the most powerful autists.

one thing i did notice immediately here were the groups of ~4-10 dudes all clearly making good money going out together on the weekends and getting zero pussy. it’s endless tiki bars full of guys fresh out of some Ivy, MIT, Purdue, Case Western or whatever that have never had a conversation with a woman they weren’t working with or related to. trying to find a guy who can 1) hold a conversation and 2) afford to live in this city has got to be impossible

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

BULBASAUR posted:

always fun seeing first dates where the guy is rambling on about his company and she just has the thousand yard dead eye stare
no end of insanely elite/elitist women, either. tons of “i went to school around boston” types. i can’t imagine how much more chill this place was before tech money started attracting all the psychos

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LuxuryLarva posted:

Let's come up with a new slogan for San Francisco. Here's my attempt.

San Francisco: why are you here?
San Francisco: it’s literally Death Wish 3. tell everyone at the Aspen Idea’s Festival and the Stanford CS Department!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

LuxuryLarva posted:

I went to [...] san francisco and there were a bunch of naked old men who [...] were just there to be naked for some reason.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gresh posted:

San Francisco and late stage capitalism loving rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb6mmBdCgac
lol holy poo poo how does the young turks have that many subs. i am so out of touch

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

san diego has entirely too many navy bros
it's america's australia [derogatory]

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

https://sfstandard.com/2023/10/05/air-purifier-company-files-for-bankruptcy-blames-san-franciscos-homeless-crisis/

A company that makes an air purifier that doesn't work is going bankrupt and they're blaming homeless people lol

San Francisco is good.

quote:

One of the other factors in the company’s bankruptcy listed in its legal filing was a fractured partnership with Aura Smart Air, an Israeli air purifier company.
owned

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Proust Malone posted:

SF is a great place to be in your 20s. I miss the 90s scene where the great debate raged between the mission and the marina. The marina won unfortunately.
was this like some Gangs of New York thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Proust Malone posted:

imagine more an 80s summer camp movie where the rag tag camo goes up against the rich kids on the other side of the lake but this one ends in the rich kids’ parents buying up the whole lake and the camp has to move to Sacramento.
what is this, a horror movie?