Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sure would be nice if education could be respected as a human good and not a meritocratic tool to generate maximum job utility for a Wealth Creator.

Also I am an accountant with a humanities degree and I can tell you that new hires with business, accounting or finance degrees know absolutely nothing of use to the actual job above what say a historian does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

We’re gonna be the Amazon of brick and mortar retail.

This is like Amazon opening its facial recognition grocery stores and I poo poo you not barber salons in cities.

Like come on guys you have a business model

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Mercury_Storm posted:

Apes seem to think they can keep dying companies running (and go to the moon, etc. etc. etc.) just by buying stock, but do companies ever actually use proceeds from stock to fund business operations rather than it just going into investor pockets?

In theory yes - it's one of the core ways of raising money, the other being borrowing it as a loan. But that's issuing new shares rather than having existing shares being traded between individuals.

In the UK, cash from issuing shares is specifically not distributable so you can't just pay it out to your shareholders. I assume the US and any western economy has similar types of protection?

Of course you can still fritter away the money on say ludicrous salaries for the board, complex share option fuckery, etc...

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In the UK amazon runs grocery stores and hair salons in rich city areas.

Our cunning business model is to make brick and mortar obsolete, now, let's open some brick and mortar stores!

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah realistically Amazon fresh is a panopticon testbed that hopefully just costs a lot of money to do not much.

No idea what the hair salon is for though. Fresh new ways to screw contract hairdressers who rent a chair?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It does play into the insatiable demand for growth. But equally an owner would be reasonable to say "no thanks if you don't have any better ideas than that you can pay me a fat dividend and I'll invest it in walmart"

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

When they think they're winning they're the first to crow about supercars, servants and trophy wives.

Sure they have all managed to rope in a spouse n kids but honestly that's the biggest indictment of society, that no one can be so scornful or self satisfied that an obedient partner won't burn their own life and their children's too until till it's too late

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The grimmest tale yet.

Unironically yes :whitewater:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

lmao get out of the workforce graddad, decent human beings need those jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah, just to add, as a real big wealth investor even buybacks and dividends may not be desirable.

I have $50m to invest in you to grow my wealth, and you have just turned round and paid $1m back to me? And now I have to work out where to invest it all over again? Myself? :sad: