Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Mordja posted:

I think it's supposed to be a two cour, airing back to back.

Yep, scheduled for 24ish episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This is also an anime, a form of media where bleeding isn't necessarily an indication of taking a serious wound. Doubly so in a series where people are explicitly superhuman - and Stark cut a mesa in half with his axe. At the end Stark got up and basically said there wasn't any real impact behind all the attacks he took and cleaved her in twain, so I have to assume he's been hurt but that he'll walk away from taking an axe blow to his torso mostly being bruised.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

THF13 posted:

Fern doesn't even seem to be aware that it is especially effective against demons, it's straight up just her ordinary offensive magic go-to.

Which also says a little bit about Frieren that she both re-engineered her regular offensive magic so that it's especially good at turbo murdering demons and that she apparently never felt like it was worth mentioning that fact. I'm getting the sense she doesn't like demons very much.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

"but what I do have is a particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you drop dead right now that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you." - Frieren, probably.

What I love about this series is that it actually makes the span of time feel real. A lot of shows (and not just anime) have inhumanly old characters who don't really feel that old, you've got any number of immortal wizards or angels or demons or whatever running around in media that really don't seem older than their appearance/actor/archetype. Then you have Frieren. Not only does the show spend a lot of time lingering on the passage of time just in terms of setting and backdrop (love how the backdrops in the past were fantasy-roman and the present is more generic fantasy-European), you have this episode which spends its entire length putting across how long Frieren has spent to get to this very point. The plot with Aura and her scales was a foregone conclusion given how they set it up, but the show spent its time on an incredibly exacting, step-by-step, beat-by-beat demonstration of just how LONG it took to get to this point. This episode was over a thousand years in the making, and it truly felt like it.

And then Frieren just walked off. On to the next Demon.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Indiana_Krom posted:

And I got the impression when he gave up the thought of a war of attrition or waiting for her to burn out was because her damage output was significantly higher than his ability to hold up defenses against. She would punch through his defenses and kill him way before total reserves came into play.

Yeah, Lugner dropped the idea of trying to outlast her when he realized that the disparity in casting speeds meant that Fern would eventually break his defenses and kill him. When one clean cast was instant death the fact she fired 1.X spells per every 1 defense he put up meant he would eventually run out of time and die, hence why he started casting about for a different strategy.

Then, while trying to find some way to distract Fern, Lugner got distracted and died instantly. RIP that guy.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Spookydonut posted:

"See you in a few centuries" that boy has some rizz

Voiced by Takehito Koyasu no less.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Kraft was an absolutely fantastic walk-on. The last episode was entirely about getting across the full scope of Frieren and her thousand years. The "fight", such as it was, was mostly a lens to put across once again how vast a span of time Frieren has lived through and how immense she's become actually after all this time and carrying the weight of so much history, and right after that we casually meet someone who is strongly implied to completely overshadow her with the vastness of his life.

The idea that whatever Kraft did would be ancient, forgotten history to Frieren is mind-boggling given the story so far has spent a lot of its time (even in this episode!) getting across how long a thousand years really is.

And the fact both of them kind of brush off what they've done as "unimportant" and maybe even mean it is incredible on a number of levels. This show is good.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

KariOhki posted:

That entire scene had "more" animation than the fight scene against the wolf monsters. The fluidity of her leg kicks, the jangle of her earring when she perks her head up, her motions ruffling through her case and pulling out the potion and afterwards when she's looking at the ring. So much care taken into the smaller moments.

Frieren doing leg kicks in bed and demonstrating bad taste in gifts is way more important than killing some wolf monsters </complete lack of sarcasm>

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

symbolic posted:

i like Doomguy Frieren as much as reflective, atmospheric Frieren. i am extremely powerful

:emptyquote:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Glazius posted:

Doomslayer's actually from another place that the demons previously invaded and had been wrecking up the joint for some time before the game proper started. The corporations pulled him out into containment when they started drilling for demon oil in Hell.

Yeah, the Demons attacked Mars in Doom 1, then attacked Earth in Doom 2, then Doom Guy went into hell to keep killing demons, got yanked out into some alien alternate world where he warned them about Demons and then spent time helping them fight the Demons (who attacked said world and eventually consumed it) leading Doom Guy to return to hell to KEEP killing demons before they trapped him in a sarcophagus for X years, then he's pulled out in time for Doom 4/2016 where the demons immediately invade and start killing people again.

At no point are the Demons in Doom depicted as anything other than evil kill monsters, there are apparently some who can talk and make faustian bargains but they barely try to disguise the fact they're still evil kill monsters who are evil and kill. Frieren's demons could at least could at least put up a front of respectability.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I love the little details in this show. Along with the show flaunting its animation chops for the ball, the bit where Fern's expression changes off-screen in one rotation was so good.

Also Frieren is very relatable: "I'm going to eat cake" is a mood, as it dithering about what book to grab.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I know this show has been criticized for its subdued emotional reactions, but as I watch more, I like the subtly of the performances.

All the interactions between Stark and Orden are really good, especially in the context of Stark's own backstory. Despite the charade they pulled the two don't really have a father-son vibe, their dynamic puts them much more in the role of equals. The two surprisingly see eye-to-eye and that's interesting, especially for Stark who usually hasn't been presented having that kind of interaction with people.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GateOfD posted:

yay for mimic screentime, even if a flashback

It was quite bold of Fern to assume a Rogue would be able to keep Frieren from being eaten by a mimic.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TwoPair posted:

(this is way too big but I'm rusty at gif-making)

It's the sad face she makes at the end that sells it for me.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Speaking purely as an anime-only and a watcher of this episode, I really dug them showing the statue. It's a good capstone to an episode, and indeed a show, about memory.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

sockpuppetclock posted:

you lay out everything to expect from the arc in the second sentence lol. i know its not severe, the contradiction is just funny.
personally im so easily influenced that for me any spoiler will completely mentally hijack every moment while im mid watching it. i never read reviews and i throw my hands over my eyes if the plot summary section of a wiki article is too close to the opening paragraph

So what specifically happens in the arc?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Nephthys posted:

I actually just rewatched the Hero's Sword episode and the prophecy in question was that "The sword can only be pulled from the stone by the hero who will drive off a great calamity bent on destroying the world". Now, the demons may be bad when it comes to other sapient species but they aren't "blow up the planet" evil unless theres a future reveal incoming. So it doesn't surprise me that the Demon King isn't actually the great calamity it's referring to.

It makes me think of Kraft's blase reaction to Frieren killing the Demon King, that the demons are a problem right now but not really the greatest problem in history and nothing will ever be worse. Just the current concern.

This was my take as well. The thing about the show that I keep banging on about is its ability to make long periods of time feel as long as they are. Frieren has lived for an incredibly long period of time and you get a real sense of what that means and her personal perspective and insight into the creation and therefore the demystification of "history", but then the show turns around and juxtaposes that with the existence of even older characters and even grander views of history that dwarf even her. The sword apparently being prophesized for a completely different person we've never heard of and will probably never meet for threat that will probably never appear in the series proper is, I think, the first time we see that even Frieren, the person who's been alive for millennia and seems to know everything, is still someone approaching history from a limited perspective.

Time is big and there's a lot of it y'all.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hunt11 posted:

For Frieren not much has changed. She is in a 3 member party where two of the members really need to hurry up and kiss.

:emptyquote:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

M_Gargantua posted:

To put it in terms you’ll understand,

Frieren doesn’t have instagram. She doesn’t have tiktok or a Facebook, not tumblr before nor after the yahoo purchase. She never had a MySpace or even an ICQ number. Frieren posted a few choice comments on a Usenet threat once about an obscure topic, and the nerds there took it from there and invented a whole field of murder and defense-against-murder magic.

The last time Frieren posted on social media was to complain about Ghengis Khans invasion, and that involved scrolls.

Meanwhile Kraft made a fortune off of Ea-Nasir’s copper

Of course nobody knows who these people are, they’re characters in stories.

If a guy showed up and told you he was Peter Pan or Rumpelstiltskin you’d have a similar response.

This is one of the greatest posts I've ever read.

Kwyndig posted:

And all the other mages are throwing around flashy wasteful spells while Fern is easily holding her own with basic magic. She hasn't scored a kill yet and I don't think she will but she'll certainly force a surrender out of someone's mouth when they realize finally that they're out classed.

The ending of the episode reaffirms this, in between trash talking the lady she's fighting is thinking "There's something REALLY off about this girl and I don't like it one bit..."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

VideoWitch posted:

I love Fern just straight up lying to Wirbel. Fern and Frieren's unbeatable tactic of "just loving lie to your opponent"

An astonishingly effective technique.

I also love the bit where Wirbel finds Ehre after the fact and she's all "You don't believe me do you?" and then he looks at the giant swathe of blown up forest and goes "No, actually, I totally do..."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GateOfD posted:

love that the detect magic spell said its a mimic, but she still went for it reasoning that there's still a 1% chance its wrong.

Look, when you live long enough to actually encounter that 1% you absolutely take that chance.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

But if her name really is intended to be as literal as everyone else's (and not a rare red herring), I guess that's fine too, just a bit of a letdown.

The thing is that plenty of names in the series are red herrings or skin-deep or overly literal descriptors. Frieren means "freezing" or "to freeze" because she looks detached and cold, but the story is all about her empathy and her emotions. Fern means "far"or "distant" which fits her demeanor, but we also get a good sense of her feelings and emotions and also pouty faces. "Stark" means strong, and he is, but he's also kind frequently a comedic scaredy-cat and the distance between his physical strength and the rest of him is central to his character. Meanwhile the mages in this arc are frequently named very literally for their powers, "Lawine" meaning "avalanche", "Richter" means "judge" but he's probably named for his earth magic, "Laufen" means "to run", "Scharf" means "sharp", and so forth.

Taken together, "Ubel" seems to be a mix of all of the above. She is introduced as having killed someone with the possibility of more deaths immediately apparent, has a strange manner of reacting to things, and has the seeming ability to chop things up, but to date she hasn't really acted as "evil" as her name literally means. She worked well with her team, genuinely seems to like Wirbel, goes out of her way to support Land by fighting a battle she believes she can't win, and in this episode asks Denken directly if she needs to fight Sense's replica and then does so when he says yes. And I want to home in on that last bit because it seems a little bit like she wouldn't have if she didn't need to, and she immediately accepts Denken's response and further says that she doesn't really need him to go into details which suggests she trusts the dude and is willing to defer to him.

So no, I don't think Ubel is actually "evil" any more than Frieren is "frozen". I think her name comes from her initial first impression, her general offkilter vibe, a shorthand to describe her violent looking cutting magic and the abnormal intuition-based way she can use it, and not necessarily the true extent of her character. Hell, I honestly don't know if that bit in the flashback with Sense was necessarily meant as a threat, I think she may well have been asking an honest, sympathetic question.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

MonsterEnvy posted:

I don't think it's a spell, I think it's just a weird trait of Ubel.

The way it's framed it seems that Ubel does magic more on a gut feeling level than on an academic level. She obviously knows a good amount about how magic works given her qualifications as a mage, but her signature spell is described as cutting based on what she can intuitively understand cutting and she learns other peoples' magic by "getting" people which is a thing nobody else we've seen can do.

As for whether there's some convoluted reason for it, dunno. One of the things Frieren the show has enjoyed emphasizing is that the world is big and history is vast. This arc's repeated motif is that the world of magic is one that's full of upsets, reversals, and unexpected outcomes. There's no real need for there to be anything to Ubel's magic beyond "she does it differently from most other people".

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Suddenly flashing back to Osaka with the knife in Azumanga Daioh.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Shinjobi posted:

She just wants to see the world and meet people

Beyond that, ehhh she doesn't wanna plan too far ahead

Pretty much unironically this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Lt. Lizard posted:

Fern didn't mention any weird tests when she took that 3rd class exam before the journey began and they later mentioned that she was youngest mage who ever got "top marks" on it, so I assume third class exam is relatively standardized. The wacky tests probably begin once you want to get in the class where there is a chance that Serie will pay attention to you, because she would almost certainly sulk if you didn't had to defeat a dragon, or win a battle royale or clear a dungeon, or do whatever else she deems as sufficiently badass, to get in that position.

That was my read as well. One of the recurring refrains in this arc has been about the absurdly high standards they want the title of "First Class Mage" to represent. About once per episode we've had someone say "This challenge is completely insane and totally unreasonable" and the standard response has been "Well yeah, that's the point, you want to be a First-Class Mage right?"

They also bring up that Sense has, apparently to date, not passed anyone in any of her exams and this is treated by the various other First-Class Mages as a completely normal and proportionate response. "This exam is impossible!" "And you failed it so you aren't a First-Class Mage."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Takeaways from this very good episode:

Firstly Serie is a fascinating case study in hypocrisy. Just that bit about suppressing mana is an amazing way of showing her talking out of both sides of her mouth. And I love every person in this thread who got in here to point out all the ways Frieren and the show in general have been taking shots at her. I especially appreciate the story stating that her intuition and reasoning with regards to this test is completely accurate and valid while also then setting things up so you can apply her own standards against her to see how badly she's lacking.

I think the question of who is the better mage that's been tossed around a little bit in the thread is an interesting one because it is an intentionally misleading one. If we're talking raw power than obviously Serie is stronger than Frieren, but this is a show that's just now wrapping up an arc about how magic is about imagination and that the world of magic is one of upsets where things can be turned on their head at a moment's notice. Moreover Frieren is a show with strong existential and humanistic themes. Serie lives atop an ivory tower in a shockingly small and narrow world and actively holds her relationships at arm's length. It doesn't matter who would win in a fight, Frieren has beaten her decisively without ever lifting a finger against her.

Secondly Fern is very powerful, both when she's pouting and when she's acting as Frieren student.

Third and last I will genuinely be surprised if Ubel fails the exam. She fits Serie's criteria almost perfectly. I think Denken also has a good shot simply because he doesn't give up. The old man is wiry and never went down without a fight.

Edit for a fourth: There's only one episode left :smith:

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 18, 2024

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Skippy McPants posted:

Sure, overall, I enjoy the dumb laster fights, but I agree that the competing worldviews is a lot more interesting. I also like that the show is less concerned with the mechanics of magic than the ethics and impact. It reminds me a lot of Discworld, where the why of magical bullshit was always much more important than the how.

The show is concerned with the mechanics of magic only insofar as it can be used to further discussion of the ethics and impact of magic. Which should be the point of world building, you build the world for the sake of the story it's going to be used to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

This was an astonishingly good show.

Also got a huge kick out of Ubel walking in and instantly passing. And Land for Understanding The Assignment.